Klavis Twin Waves

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Post Reply
ElTonerino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:21 am

Post by ElTonerino » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:17 am

I'm still working on finishing my tracks from the summer (before the summer maybe?), but I've put this up and thought it might add something here too.

[video][/video]

User avatar
Switchzik
Common Wiggler
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:41 am

Post by Switchzik » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 am

Evrytime I'm using the Twin wave (meaning every time I play actually), I'm amazed !
I first use it mostly as LFO but it also sounds great as a dual VCO. Just love it, simple to use but very deap module, bravo :love:

User avatar
primco
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:11 am
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post by primco » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:26 pm

ElTonerino wrote:I'm still working on finishing my tracks from the summer (before the summer maybe?), but I've put this up and thought it might add something here.
I'd like to see your patch notes. Looks like you have OSC1 in random LFO mode but that would mean OSC2 is a quantized bass note and the rachety stuff is all Rampage? Rampage is where I get lost.

User avatar
Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Northumbria

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:29 pm

Very impressed with my Twin Wave, would adding unison sine and unison triangle be a future possibility?

ElTonerino
Common Wiggler
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:21 am

Post by ElTonerino » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:45 pm

I'd like to see your patch notes. Looks like you have OSC1 in random LFO mode but that would mean OSC2 is a quantized bass note and the rachety stuff is all Rampage? Rampage is where I get lost.
I should've made patch notes at the time ;)

Here goes

Twin Waves
VCO 1
* LFO mode (probably Irregular Vectors)
* Out to VCO 2 in
* Sub out to Rampage channel 1 Trigger - This sends a trigger for every pitch change (thanks Zentek, I wouldn't have thought of that - especially when VCO 2 didn't have all of the algorithms, it was always the LFO)

VCO 2
* VCO Additive Even mode
* Quantizer set to something nice (probably pentatonic)
* Parameter is connected to RISING of Rampage channel 2
* Out to Lxd channel 1

Rampage
Channel 1
* Range is medium
* Trigger from TW Sub out
* Cycle is OFF
* Fall CV from MAX
* Rising to channel 2 Trigger
* Falling to channel 2 Cycle
* OUT A to Lxd channel 1 CV

Channel 2
* Range is short
* Trigger from channel 1 Rising
* Cycle is ON
* Cycle set by Falling on channel 2
* EXP CV is from MIN
* Rising to parameter of TW VCO 2
* OUT B to Lxd channel 2 CV

* B > A to Strike of channel 2 of Lxd

Lxd
Channel 1
* Input from TW VCO 2
* CV from Rampage OUT A
* Out to LEFT channel & normalled to channel 2

Channel 2
* Input from channel 1 (normalled, signal only passed when channel 1 is active)
* CV from Rampage OUT B
* Strike from B > A of Rampage
* Out to Right channel

They go off through a midiverb 2 on program 49 or 45, I can't remember which.


Channel 2 of the rampage is cycling fast whenever Channel 1 is falling, the cycling is turned off when it is rising. The cycling times are affected by the MIN of channels 1 and 2.

Sound only gets through to Lxd channel 2 when channel 1 is active. So the clicking only happens when there is other sound.


If you have any more questions about it, just ask.

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Firmware Update 1.25

Post by Zentek » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:59 pm

Twin Waves Firmware Update 1.25

A friendly user reported a strange behavior of his Twin Waves in a very specific configuration involving signals on both AM/FM and clock jacks. :hmm:
Once understood, which wasn’t obvious, the bug was easily fixed. :yay:

The surprise came from the fact that this bug was hiding inside from day one !
As you can guess, not many people encountered the problem.
Hopefully, it didn’t escaped Ian who took the time to write us a detailed account of the issue. Thanks a lot man ! :tu:

The audio file for the firmware update is available here: http://www.klavis.com/images/TwinWaves_1.25.zip
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Bignorthumbrian wrote:Very impressed with my Twin Wave, would adding unison sine and unison triangle be a future possibility?
Sure, theoretically, nothing prevents us from doing that
Unfortunately, the more we add the less room remains in the flash.
We're also coming to an end to avoid cluttering the user interface and having selection lists that become too long to scroll through :confused:
We tried keeping the balance between instant+easy vs. plethora and confusion.
We also need time to work on future modules :bananaguitar:
I hope that you understand.
Thank you nevertheless for the request. It might serve somewhere else. 8-)
Last edited by Zentek on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
MATSmile
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1428
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm
Location: On Your Mind

Post by MATSmile » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm

When in quantized mode is it possible to display a note it's currently on? It will ease the tuning procedure.

User avatar
pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3424
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:23 am
Location: Asheville, NC
Contact:

Post by pugix » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 pm

Zentek wrote: We also need time to work on future modules :bananaguitar:
I hope that you understand.
8-)
Please! Work on future modules.

Thank you, that is all.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

User avatar
Bignorthumbrian
Common Wiggler
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:30 pm
Location: Northumbria

Post by Bignorthumbrian » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Zentek wrote:
Bignorthumbrian wrote:Very impressed with my Twin Wave, would adding unison sine and unison triangle be a future possibility?
Sure, theoretically, nothing prevents us from doing that
Unfortunately, the more we add the less room remains in the flash.
We're also coming to an end to avoid cluttering the user interface and having selection lists that become too long to scroll through :confused:
We tried keeping the balance between instant+easy vs. plethora and confusion.
We also need time to work on future modules :bananaguitar:
I hope that you understand.
Thank you nevertheless for the request. It might serve somewhere else. 8-)
Thanks, looking forward to new modules....

User avatar
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Post by Pighood » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm

Take your time though.....your gear is so fully baked it's fappifying :fap:
*phnert*

Kinan
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:41 am

Post by Kinan » Mon May 28, 2018 1:59 am

Got mine for a couple of weeks and i'm very happy with it. The ergonomy is super efficient, I was kind of reluctant at first because I don't really like multi-function knobs but the design actually make jumping between channels extremely easy and clear. And it sounds very good, good choice of algorithms. I particularly like the additive/sine and the self sync ones !

Congratulations !

User avatar
tthogs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:22 am
Location: Asheville, NC

Post by tthogs » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:15 pm

I dont have this module yet but I was curious if it possible to combine the output of both vcos into one of the output jacks?

User avatar
FatKingTubby
Common Wiggler
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:56 am

Post by FatKingTubby » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:47 pm

tthogs wrote:I dont have this module yet but I was curious if it possible to combine the output of both vcos into one of the output jacks?
Nope there isn't any normalization or summing of the outs within the module. Both oscillators can share v/oct and sync inputs but the outs are always each separate oscillator algorithm and a sub square wave.

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:11 pm

Just because getting nice feedback makes life sweet...

I received an email from a happy user who also took the time to make a nice video.
With his permission here is what he wrote - including the link to his video.
Hi All,

Just thought I would drop you a line to say thank you for making such a great module with the twin waves. I have been building up my small system over a couple of years now and recently purchased the Twin waves and it it is an amazing little thing !
Here is a video featuring the twin waves as the main pulse Arp. in this piece.

Best

Andy Pidcock
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
base615
Common Wiggler
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 am
Location: Sydney

Post by base615 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:12 am

I have two of these things and, although it would probably be a bad idea from a variety standpoint, I'm seriously considering ditching all my other oscillators and buying another couple.

The only thing I'd improve is being able to use VCA mode with both Osc 1 and the sub wave. Otherwise, it's just about the perfect VCO.

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Post by Zentek » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:28 am

base615 wrote:I have two of these things and, although it would probably be a bad idea from a variety standpoint, I'm seriously considering ditching all my other oscillators and buying another couple.

The only thing I'd improve is being able to use VCA mode with both Osc 1 and the sub wave. Otherwise, it's just about the perfect VCO.
Thanks a lot for loving the TW so much. :loves: :hail:
The additional VCA control you'd like to see is not easily implemented in terms of user interface without making the product too cryptic. As for the sub out it is a digital pin, thus without control on the amplitude.
Sure. independent VCA control would be welcome in a richer and wider module. :tu:
As for acquiring some more, they just arrived at our new Australian retailer, Found Sound. :cookiemonster:

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
base615
Common Wiggler
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 am
Location: Sydney

Post by base615 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 am

Zentek wrote:The additional VCA control you'd like to see is not easily implemented in terms of user interface without making the product too cryptic. As for the sub out it is a digital pin, thus without control on the amplitude.
Fair enough Eric. It's a minor thing anyway, just always like to free up a VCA for something else :)

User avatar
apuzzone
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:54 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Quantizer

Post by apuzzone » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:55 am

Hi,
yesterday I was sending the Befaco Muxlicer Common I/O output of its sequencer in Twin Waves' V.Oct 1, when I noticed that at random times the quantizer skips 1 or 2 voltages. The effect is similar to a "legato": 2 different voltages sent but just 1 pitch played out for the duration of both voltages. Great to randomize sequences!!!

No Gate signal is being used. I am sending the output of Twin Waves directly to the output VCA, fully open.

This issue seems to happen on any of the voltages sent by Muxlicer. For instance, the first 10 times the 8 voltages sequence plays fine, then the next 8 voltages might play with 2 legatos. At the next round-trip, the issue is gone. It will repeat the behavior some times later. Sometimes it might go for a long time without issues (15 minutes), other times it happens within 1,2 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

User avatar
Zentek
Common Wiggler
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: Quantizer

Post by Zentek » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 am

apuzzone wrote:Hi,
yesterday I was sending the Befaco Muxlicer Common I/O output of its sequencer in Twin Waves' V.Oct 1, when I noticed that at random times the quantizer skips 1 or 2 voltages. The effect is similar to a "legato": 2 different voltages sent but just 1 pitch played out for the duration of both voltages. Great to randomize sequences!!!
... ...
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
When playing a sequence of voltages as you describe, it may happen that some steps are just on the edge of quantization. Thus according to subtle fluctuations (supply, noise, static) the quantizer chooses the note up or down in a seemingly random way.
This behavior is unavoidable by design with an analog adjusted source and a quantized destination module.
To avoid the wiggling, you must subtly readjust the Befaco sliders for each dancing step to be away from the quantizer voltage edge.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

User avatar
apuzzone
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:54 pm
Location: Glendale, CA

Re: Quantizer

Post by apuzzone » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:26 am

Zentek wrote:
apuzzone wrote:Hi,
yesterday I was sending the Befaco Muxlicer Common I/O output of its sequencer in Twin Waves' V.Oct 1, when I noticed that at random times the quantizer skips 1 or 2 voltages. The effect is similar to a "legato": 2 different voltages sent but just 1 pitch played out for the duration of both voltages. Great to randomize sequences!!!
... ...
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
When playing a sequence of voltages as you describe, it may happen that some steps are just on the edge of quantization. Thus according to subtle fluctuations (supply, noise, static) the quantizer chooses the note up or down in a seemingly random way.
This behavior is unavoidable by design with an analog adjusted source and a quantized destination module.
To avoid the wiggling, you must subtly readjust the Befaco sliders for each dancing step to be away from the quantizer voltage edge.
Thank you Zentek for your prompt reply. I was suspecting something of that kind. It makes sense.
Thanks again for this beautiful module!

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4976
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm in love with my two Mixwitches and my Logica XT. I'm so impressed with the quality/price ratio of the Klavis modules. One of my favorite eurorack brands, for sure. :love:

I don't really need more oscillators in my setup but I've been eyeing Twin Waves for quite a while and today I decided to dedicate my last 8hp to another clever Klavis module. It'll arrive in a few days and I'm stoked to make the acquaintance.
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡


User avatar
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Post by Pighood » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:33 pm

lisa wrote:I'm in love with my two Mixwitches and my Logica XT. I'm so impressed with the quality/price ratio of the Klavis modules. One of my favorite eurorack brands, for sure. :love:

I don't really need more oscillators in my setup but I've been eyeing Twin Waves for quite a while and today I decided to dedicate my last 8hp to another clever Klavis module. It'll arrive in a few days and I'm stoked to make the acquaintance.
It’s a wee cousin of the DPO with its own charm...tonnes of funne to be had when using an LFO and modulating a VCO, all without leaving the module itself.
*phnert*

User avatar
lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4976
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:00 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Post by lisa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Pighood wrote:It’s a wee cousin of the DPO with its own charm..
I don't know if I agree fully. What are the similarities except that both has two oscillators?
New track! Drum synthesis heavy, melodic piece where Instruō harmonàig is doing the chords. 🐡


User avatar
Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2041
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Post by Pighood » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm

lisa wrote:
Pighood wrote:It’s a wee cousin of the DPO with its own charm..
I don't know if I agree fully. What are the similarities except that both has two oscillators?
Fourth cousin, thrice removed. The duality is the ONLY similarity.
*phnert*

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”