MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pedals, pedals, pedals (and more pedals)....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Pedals, pedals, pedals (and more pedals)....
numan7
So let's talk about pedals (in general, or personally or whatever). There sure are a lot of them! I had kind of forgotten how many there were. But I remember now (although it does seem like there are more lately than there used to be).

--

Anyways, just picked up the Keeley Bubbletron - it's really nice (especially if you ever fancy playing in the style of frank zappa)! Rockin' Banana!

Also got a JHS AT-OD... sounds pretty great going into an Orange Amp's clean channel, although i do not have any Marshalls to compare it with. I may also pick up the Xotic SL Drive at some point too. I like plexi tones (as do many of us)!

And speaking of Xotic, I have their XBlend and Stereo XBlend pedals which i find are really useful and nifty things. I am using the XBlend for things ike wet/dry'ing distortion pedals. and i plan to use the stereo x-blend for modulation and time-based effects (it will mix three stereo send/return channels).

And speaking of modulation and time-based effects, i've been looking at the Strymon line for a long while (Big Sky and Timeline, for example). I currently have a Boss RE201 (which i love to bits). And I'm paying serious attention to the Earthquakers lineup...

But then there's Chase Bliss. And the recent Digitech offerings (e.g. Ventura, Obscura and Polara) seem very, very nice too!

A-and then there's the Dawner Prince Boonar (which just may be my next pedal)...

cheers
Sharktootth
Cool stuff coming out very soon. Geiger Counter Pro, Hologram INFINITE Jets, Cooper FX Outward.

I'm on the fence about so many pedals. Malekko Charlie Foxtrot and Recovery Effects Cutting Room floor. If get the INFINITE Jets, then I'm done. If I get Charlie then I'm also getting the cutting room floor.

I love pedals bro.

Anyone know of a pedal with two expression pedal ports? The only one I know of is the Geiger counter Pro.
mgscheue
Sharktootth wrote:

Anyone know of a pedal with two expression pedal ports? The only one I know of is the Geiger counter Pro.

Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport Sr has two: one for repeats and one for bleed.
blungo2
Sharktootth wrote:

Trex replicator has expression pedal jacks for speed and feedback.
JayEm
my wife got me a tc electronic minivortex. i was happy to find all the changes you can make in the toneprint software happen in realtime on the pedal.... now if i can findout how to midi the fucker...
MindMachine
The new Digitechs do look good. Earthquaker makes me drool but still have not purchased from them yet.

My latest is an Old Blood Noise Endeavors Darkstar Reverb. Amazing for drones and pads and evolving feedback chorales. Mostly used on electric bass and voice so far. And with Yamaha Reface YC and EH Mel9 pedal - epic.

Also recently obtained a MadProfessor Golden Cello that is now a permanent fixture in one of my bass lines. Surprised how wonderful it sounds.

My modular addictions have weaned me from pursuing too many pedals recently. Because methadone is better than heroin. Or different.
sduck
I've got a shelf full of pedals. Some are big, some are small. My favorites are 2 MXR ones. One's black, the other one is white.
dkcg
Pedals are a dangerous path due to their availability and sheer numbers. I've never really impulse bought a module, but I've impulse bought many pedals. That's where I've been spending most my time the last couple years, in guitar-land.

I think I have about 80-100 pedals now, no duplicates other than a Keeley GC-2 limiter, which I have on two different boards.

My favorite...too hard to say. Probably why I have like 20 overdrives and distortions, half a dozen phasers, another half dozen delays, etc. I'm plannong on downsizing to just the ones I use this year. We'll see if that actually happens. Rockin' Banana!

But lately, I've mainly been using just a few, a PettyJohn Pettydrive V2, Malekko 600b delay (one of my first and oldest pedals), Fairfield Circuitry fuzz, and an empress tremolo. Reverb in the amp.
AlanP
Sharktootth wrote:

Lovetone ?Flange. One for gate/trigger for the LFO, one for CV control of Manual.
Futuresound
I got an Iron Ether Polytope recently.

It's pretty fantastic.
smetak
MindMachine wrote:
The new Digitechs do look good. Earthquaker makes me drool but still have not purchased from them yet.

Ah, you MUST get their Avalanche Run!

Their delays & reverbs are as wild as they can be and the Avalanche Run is amazing, with possibility of controlling various parameters via an expression pedal.

What a great pedal for thick, cavernous drones!
numan7
(hides) sorry for not chiming in earlier -- but i'm going through some indecision...

i love what i hear in demos for both the boonar and the afterneath - but i can't see having both since although they're not really very similar, beyond doing delay-driven-reverb-swells kinds of things, i feel like would want to use each of them in similar situations.... and just maybe that actually means i really need both (e.g. one for the left, the other for the right). very frustrating

thumbs up and yeah, avalanche run looks amazing!

cheers
smetak
numan7 wrote:
i love what i hear in demos for both the boonar and the afterneath - but i can't see having both since although they're not really very similar, beyond doing delay-driven-reverb-swells kinds of things, i feel like would want to use each of them in similar situations.... and just maybe that actually means i really need both (e.g. one for the left, the other for the right). very frustrating

The Afterneath and Boonar are quite different - the Boonar, from what I know, is a take on the legendary Binson tape delay - I guess the comparison here would be with the Catalinbread Echorec and the T Rex Replicator.

The Afterneath, on the other hand, is a reverb, capable of very thick, dense drones - if that's what you are after (but note, its far from subtle, so if you just want just a bit of colour, slight reverb to your sound, better look elsewhere, e.g., Neunaber Wet).

The Avalanche Run is both a delay & reverb and beyond......
beersbikesbuns
I'm a big fan of WMD's Protostar (envelope filter and compressor). It has a CV patch bay that you could use with modular smile
Jason Brock
I'm going to go in a different direction and rave about a super cheap and utilitarian pedal I recently picked up: a Line 6 ToneCore Constrictor. It's huge, heavy, and ugly. But it's also super quiet (built-in noise gate), transparent if you want, works on all sources (synth too, not just voiced for guitar), and it has 3 different compressor models. Not exciting, but well worth the price I paid (about the same as a x-large pizza and a 2-liter of Pepsi).
MindMachine
smetak wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Their delays & reverbs are as wild as they can be and the Avalanche Run is amazing, with possibility of controlling various parameters via an expression pedal.

Thanks. You're really helping. Mr. Green

dkcg wrote:
Pedals are a dangerous path due to their availability and sheer numbers. I've never really impulse bought a module, but I've impulse bought many pedals.

No doubt. Same here. I'm even looking at the lower end stuff like this and thinking 'What a bargain. Wonder what it sounds like'.

tuj
I have the Re-echo Pro from Mooer. I've been using Mooer pedals for about 3 years. They are hit and miss. Some of their models are really good, some suck. Their Black Secret is a dead ringer for a RAT clone, very good. So is the Tender Octaver, which is a copy of the EHX pedal.

The Re-echo and Re-echo Pro sound very good actually. The Pro does a lot for very little and doesn't give up any build quality or features really. I recommended it.

Oh yeah, I don't know anything about pedals....
smetak
MindMachine wrote:
smetak wrote:
MindMachine wrote:

Thanks. You're really helping. Mr. Green

Glad to assist, especially in draining your savings account.....hehehehe
smetak
tuj wrote:
I have the Re-echo Pro from Mooer. I've been using Mooer pedals for about 3 years. They are hit and miss. Some of their models are really good, some suck. Their Black Secret is a dead ringer for a RAT clone, very good. So is the Tender Octaver, which is a copy of the EHX pedal.

The Re-echo and Re-echo Pro sound very good actually. The Pro does a lot for very little and doesn't give up any build quality or features really. I recommended it.

We seem to suffer from the same disease in regard to pedals.....hopefully, I may find the cure soon enough (or, hopefully, not!)

Yes, right on the mark - very hit or miss. I would add that their "dirt effects" are very good clones of the original and sound very good, though I generally stay away from any modulation pedal - I have scores of Mooer pedals that you can find used at very, very low price. Black Secret is one of my favorite of the batch - I would also recommend the Cruncher, clone of the Crunch Box by MI Audio, Green Mile, which is a dead ringer for the original Tube Screamer, Triangle Buff, a stand in for the legendary Big Muff, and the Rumble Drive, which is said to capture the Dumble Overdrive tone (considering that I have never seen a real Dumble Amp, I have no idea if the pedal does the aforesaid, yet, still, I really like the sound). The Reecho is decent, copy of the Boss DD2 - yet modulation and reverb, in general, don't seem to work very well (I did try the Shimverb while horsing around at Ludlow Guitars and found it to be a bit of a joke).

But must add that Mooer seems to have taken a serious step in regard to delay, releasing this:

Heard a few demos - interesting machine.
MindMachine
tuj wrote:

Well that's good enough for me. I think I'll pull the trigger on the Mooer.

Below is the unpacking as moving into new music room:

numan7
Guinness ftw! well i've been finding myself more and more than pleased with this pedal chain over the last month or so:

it along with a strat-type guitar will make damn near any electric guitar sound i wish to make. Rockin' Banana!

i suppose i should get a pedal board. i could see swapping out the tubescreamer for possibly an xotic ep boost or effectrode fire bottle... as well as incorporating an xfade mixer (or two) so that different flavors of fuzz (big muff nano pi, anaman dark peppermint, etc.) could be blended in (mercury is nice but can seem a bit polite at times i find)... and earthquaker sea machine v2 is certainly also of interest.... hmmm.....

cheers
dkcg
How does that Boonar sound with the synth line levels? I've been eyeing that, but want to wait to see the next Gurus delay, which is supposed to be much more a Binson with the head combinations.

And look up Meris. works great with synths or guitars. I think they may be up your alley.
numan7
ha! i have not tried it with any synths yet (probably due to my synth "playing" these days being almost entirely by sequencers while i play my guitars through the boonar). i will try to try it out the next time i am amongst my music equipment and report back here....

the meris does look quite intriguing.

cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1