MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutant Hihats Filter mod?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Author Mutant Hihats Filter mod?
skylab001
So I dig the mutant Hihats and have been using them for a while now. I'm curious about one thing that has always bugged me though. It seems like the filter knob really only does anything in the last 1/3 of the pot range. So I was just thinking about a mod, something that would allow the full pot range to affect just that last 1/3 of the current pot range? A series resistor or inline trimmer perhaps, not really sure, that's why I'm posting here. Maybe it's just my Mutant hats is whacked?
stevecooley
I agree, mine doesn't seem to do much until the last third of the overall rotation. I find that using a module like Busy Circuits' O/A/x2 attenuverter can help normalize the hihat filter's detectable range to a full CV sweep.
ege.gonul
Its not only in one module. DIY Mutant Snare is also acting in a same way. You can use only 1/3 of the knob of snappiness. So unprofessional sadly..
hexinverter
ege.gonul wrote:
Its not only in one module. DIY Mutant Snare is also acting in a same way. You can use only 1/3 of the knob of snappiness. So unprofessional sadly..

The Snappy Decay knob's range of adjustment is in fact relative to the trimming you do while assembling it. In our retail modules, it goes from almost instant to approximately twenty seconds, quite linearly across the knob range. I suggest re-calibrating your module. It's quite a sensitive adjustment! thumbs up
ege.gonul
hexinverter wrote:
ege.gonul wrote:

The Snappy Decay knob's range of adjustment is in fact relative to the trimming you do while assembling it. In our retail modules, it goes from almost instant to approximately twenty seconds, quite linearly across the knob range. I suggest re-calibrating your module. It's quite a sensitive adjustment! thumbs up

I meant SHELL/SNAPPY mix knob. You use %10 of the knob. %90 of the time you only hear shell noise. I've seen posts about these specific issue and I myself experiencing it with my snare.
hexinverter
ege.gonul wrote:
I meant SHELL/SNAPPY mix knob. You use %10 of the knob. %90 of the time you only hear shell noise. I've seen posts about these specific issue and I myself experiencing it with my snare.

This is because the shell sound might be louder than the internal noise generator or external input being used for SNAPPY.

The two are blended between at unity. Different SNAPPY signal levels result in different ratios of blending. It is configured this way so it will universally accept different external input levels and be as flexible as possible.

If you'd like to alter the level of SNAPPY, just trim the level adjustment screw on the back of the DIY module. It says 1Vp on the PCB (353mV rms), but you can trim it all the way up to 6Vp or larger if you like.

Adjust it until it works for you. We're talking about the DIY version after all.

The retail (not DIY) Mutant Snare is of course balanced at calibration/testing time at manufacturing, so has an equal adjustment range right out of the box.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Hexinverter Electronique  
Page 1 of 1