MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge startup patches - R*S Eurorack Format
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge startup patches - R*S Eurorack Format
dbernhardt58
I jumped in with some Random*Source Eurorack format Serge modules: Dual Universal Slope Generator (DSG); Variable Q VCF (QVCF); and Smooth and Sloped Generator (SSG), I tried to follow more advanced video tutorials in the 4U format, but didn't have enough understanding of what was going on, and couldn't duplicate what I was seeing and hearing.

If you are like me, and need to start really simple but get great sounds, try the patches below. I've decided that these patches will be part of my daily practice, just like arpeggios for me on guitar, until I learn them by heart and have a good feel for how the various knob wiggles interact. I found I was going too quickly to adding lfo or envelope modulation to the knobs noted below, and things got too complex and noisy too fast. I was missing the joy and music-making that was supposed to be the point.

Special thanks to everyone who posted all those advanced tutorials, I tried to learn from them, and will return frequently to see if I can get more out of them. So here goes with the really simple Serge patches for DSW+QVCF+SSG, probably posted before a million times. Special bonus for monitoring various outputs on a scope.

1. Basic Rhythm and Tone: DSG Pulse > QVCF Trig In. QVCF Band out > audio. This is a great set of rhythm and tone sounds, and the patch is probably as simple as they come. Changing which pairs of knobs you wiggle from among the two modules is where the learning starts for me. [The DSG Pulse is on the left-hand side of the R*S Euro Serge module. DSG is in Cycle mode; wiggle Rise & Fall from lfo to audio range. The Expo switches affect the rate, can't explain exactly how. On QVCF, wiggle Freq & VC Q.]

2. Add Voltage Controlled (VC) Frequency: Start with above patch and add DSG Out > QVCF VC F In. This gives additional control over the pitch you hear, and can give a sweep at the end of a rhythmic ping when in lfo range. When DSG is in audio range, it gives a heavy-duty sound which is probably correctly called frequency modulation (FM).

3. Add Pitch Change using SSG in Cycle mode: Start with patch 2, and add DSG Pulse > SSG Sample In. SSG Stepped Out > QVCF 1V/OCT in. Wiggle in both rhythm and pitch modes; switch modes at DSG Rise & Fall knobs. [To connect DSG Pulse to both QVCF Trig In and SSG Sample In, I have to use a mult because I don't have TA Stackable cables that are long enough. I'm gonna get of bunch of them though, because looking at the 4U format tutorials, I see how the stackable cable format enhances the visual comprehension of patches; Eurorack use of mults can obscure the visual map.]

Extra special thanks to Todd Barton's "Serge Nexus Patch" video, which demonstrated the right combination of modules in 4U format which got me to the patches above. i can't wait to get to the second half of that tutorial. Sorry to anyone who might want a video from me demonstrating these patches; I just wanted to get the info down and posted for anyone in my noobie status, plus I haven't figured out how to mount my phone to shoot video while both hands are free. But if you've got these modules you'll be able to get there from the notes above. If you don't have them, what are you waiting for?
dbernhardt58

This is an interpretation of Stephen's "Subharmonic Arpeggiation" video using Random*Source Serge for Eurorack modules. I'm very grateful to Stephen for making that video and demonstrating the basic principles with classic Serge 4U modules. His video is located here:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkJfUhkkAP-Y-qHPm3Jm41w

This video shows the final patch, but the basic patch and four expansion patches are described in sequence, so it starts to make sense.

The first example includes a basic subharmonic arpeggiation patch using the following R*S for Eurorack modules, going to an audio output (the abbreviations are those used on the R*S website):
-Dual Universal Slope Generator (DSG)
-Extended Variable Slope filter (VCFS)
-Smooth and Sloped Generator (SSG)
-Wave Multipliers (VCM).

I don't have a spare VCO with square wave in Serge, but this function is required for the basic example, so I have to use what I've got. You'll see on the video it's a Mangrove.

Also included are four expansions on the patch. Apologies to the Serge purists, but I don't have the additional/spare module functions in Serge that are need to demonstrate the expanded patches, but the are pretty common in all modular formats: S+H/Noise; Mixer that can handle CV; Envelope Generator (EG); Pitch Sequencer; and LFO with saw wave output.

Basic Patch
(you'll need to use mults or TipTop Audio Stackable cables)

VCFS Low out -to- audio
DSG right side Out -to- VCFS In 1
DSG right side Out -to- VCM middle In 1
DSG right side Trig In -from- VCO Square wave
DSG right side VC Both -from- SSG Stepped Out
SSG Stepped Out -to- VCM VC In
SSG Smooth Out (cycle mode) -to- SSG Stepped In
DSG left side (cycle mode) Pulse -to- SSG Stepped Sample
VCM middle Out -to- VCFS In 2

Patch Notes: The SSG Smooth Rate is the pulse divider for the pitch fed into SSG Smooth In; this generates the subharmonics. The VCO square wave pitch is the primary pitch control, and the DSG right side, acting as a VCO, is also available to control pitch. There's lots of great knob wiggling available, including the VCO square wave pitch control.

Expansion 1 Patch: add S+H Noise to waveform to enhance content for arpeggiation.
Add a S+H Module and a (minimum) 2-channel CV Mixer with attenuators. I used an Elby ED115 S+H, and a RYO AmpMix which has 4 channels.

DSG left side End -to- S+H In
S+H Out -to- Mix In 3

re-patch SSG into the Mixer and back out to original destination:
SSG Smooth Out -to- Mix In 4; Mix 4 Out -to- SSG Stepped In

Patch Notes: wiggling mixer channel knobs varies the influence of the random noise on the steady waveform. For the AmpMix, you can wiggle In 1 with nothing patched in, and it will offset the entire pitch sequence.

Expansion 2 Patch: Modulate Filter slope and frequency. To the expansion 1 patch, add an envelope or two from the EG into the VCFS VCS and/or VCF.

Expansion 3 Patch: Add Pitch Sequence to initial VCO Square Wave. Sequencer -to- attenuator -to- VCO 1v/Oct in; the attenuator will modulate the range of pitch.

Expansion 4 Patch: LFO Saw into SSG Stepped VC Rate. Dial in a little more chaos into the arpeggiation.

Fun!
Grinner101
Thanks so much for this!
Vsyevolod
Just saw this! So glad that my little video was helpful. And very nice to see you expanding on the idea.

Stephen

vgermuse
Likewise, I just now saw this post. Hope you've been having tons of fun explorations with your setup. Glad my little tutorial was of use. Best wishes!
revtor
Thanks for the above! Always fun to follow along with someones patching notation and style.

Also recommended..
The Doug Lynner "Patch of the Week" youtube series is a great intro to many of the Serge patching tricks and foundational aspects of the system..

~Steve
dbernhardt58
revtor wrote:
Thanks for the above! Always fun to follow along with someones patching notation and style.

Also recommended..
The Doug Lynner "Patch of the Week" youtube series is a great intro to many of the Serge patching tricks and foundational aspects of the system..

~Steve

Doug's Patch of the Week: a wonderful patient, methodical explanation of both classic 4U Serge and the Elby Serge system features and methods. This was very influential in steering me towards these modules, both Eurorack at first and then in 4U/ LW format. I felt that a concentration on the Serge system would help me towards a better understanding of modular synthesis.

Before seeing Doug's videos, I had started with Mannequins Mangrove (VCO +), Cold Mac (Utilities), and Three Sisters (VCF), and later Just Friends (Generator +); trying to understand them, people talked about how they were Serge-like. What's that, I said to myself - maybe by learning about the Serge, I'll learn how to patch the Mannequins modules. I had found myself to be at sea with Eurorack module salad - even though I firmly believed I had selected a good set of modules to work with ( My earlier rack).

Well, now I'm still at sea, just with the addition of some very cool Serge modules. Constantly trying to make the connection between what I hear when listening to other people's work (especially my daily "Ultima Thule Broadcast" dose, heard on my way to and from work) and my gear. Most often not coming anywhere close to making that connection - as basic investigation of the gear leads to its own destination. Perhaps the journey will lead eventually to something I recognize as non-experimental. I try to stay satisfied and looking forward at the same time.
etch
dbernhardt58 wrote:
I jumped in with some Random*Source Eurorack format Serge modules: Dual Universal Slope Generator (DSG); Variable Q VCF (QVCF); and Smooth and Sloped Generator (SSG), I tried to follow more advanced video tutorials in the 4U format, but didn't have enough understanding of what was going on, and couldn't duplicate what I was seeing and hearing.

Awesome stuff. Thanks for the tips! I'm working with R*S euro serge as well.

e
Mirland
Great thread. I sold my complete eurorack setup a while ago and am now collecting a small euro Serge (DSG, SSG, NTO, VCFQ, WM, NCOM) to have a self contained modular. But understanding the Serge logic is hard work.
vgermuse
Here's a short "building a serge patch from scratch"

Instead of the TKB sequencer I'm using to modulate variable wave, wave mult, etc. you could use either stepped or smooth cv outs of the SSG or and LFO type envelope out of a DUSG. The main point of logic, to my way of thinking about Serge (or Buchla or Hordijk), is to bombard a single module, in this instance the NTO, with lots of different CVs and also to process the various audio outputs of the NTO in different ways then mix them. w00t
gruvsyco
Todd, you are just f***ing awesome.
Avjr
gruvsyco wrote:
Todd, you are just f***ing awesome.

I'll second that. we're not worthy
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1