MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Need VCA recommendations (Mother 32 expansion)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Need VCA recommendations (Mother 32 expansion)
cosmicink
I've had my M32 for a couple of months and extremely happy with it. I am getting ready to expand my domain to include a Maths as my next module, thanks to the excellent resources I found here I am excited about the possibilities of this module. I would like to add another VCA module to my setup. So basically I'll have a M32, Maths, VCA module for now. Any recommendations as to which modules I should be considering?

Thanks!!
ritchiedrums
http://store.synthrotek.com/MST_Dual_VCA
Dave Peck
I would recommend getting a VCA module that is full-featured, meaning it should have:

1. Initial Gain control
2. CV Amount control (even better if this is a BIPOLAR control, so you can invert the CV signal)
3. a Switch for selecting Linear or Exponential response

So the Synthrotek mentioned above looks like a good candidate to me, but there are a ton of options out there. Try a search at Modulargrid.net. And more is better, so consider getting a quad VCA module, or a couple of dual VCA modules.
annanniemodular
I went through (almost) the same process as you! I currently have the Mother 32, Sputnik Modular WCRS and the MST Dual VCA.

For its price point, it is amazing. Thought I wouldn't need both VCA's but I find myself wishing I had more. - Never can have to many VCA's though.
cosmicink
I am going for https://intellijel.com/product/quad-vca/

Thanks for the input everyone.

"Can't have enough VCAs"
terrymccann
cosmicink wrote:

"Can't have enough VCAs"

That's definitely good value. I had the uVCA II but sold it for the modDemix as I wanted some colouring to the audio, personally I prefer it.
Robscorch
I'm thinking you would really enjoy a Double Andore MKI or MKII hell I've got both no regrets. SlayerBadger!
mlaszews
Robscorch wrote:
I'm thinking you would really enjoy a Double Andore MKI or MKII hell I've got both no regrets. SlayerBadger!

I've got a MkII that plays great with the Moog. If I were trying to supplement the Mother with just one additional module, this might very well be it. But obviously you aren't going to stop at one additional module, so Maths and Quad VCA are great choices.
djfussball
cosmicink wrote:

"Can't have enough VCAs"

Late to the party with an absolute beginner question: Why did you feel the need for an additional VCA? I have a M32 as well (and recently got my first modules without a lot of thinking ahead, Erica Synths Black Hole DSP and Black Modulator) and I was thinking about getting a Maths next as well. But I was acutally hoping to replace the need for a VCA with the Maths, since it can also attenuvert signals....
Agawell
generally you want more vcas (get a quad - intellijel and mutable spring to mind) and maths is better suited to other tasks

whilst maths can be patched to be a pseudo vca, there are at least 34 other things that it can do - search for the illustrated manual - which are often more useful

yeah you could use channel 2 or 3 as an attenuverter, but then you would have to use your hand to wiggle the knob and zero is not so easy to dial in

remember vcas can also be used for cv - modulate your modulation - so you need more - maybe a second quad vca or a dual lpg

to be honest I've got an mi veils (4vcas), streams (2vcas/lpgs) and a doepfer dual vca and maths, peaks and stages (remember you need envelope generators for those vcas) in roughly 9u of 84hp audio modules and none of my currently used audio generators - rings, tides, plaits - need external vcas - and still I sometimes wish I had more
djfussball
Agawell wrote:
generally you want more vcas (get a quad - intellijel and mutable spring to mind) and maths is better suited to other tasks

whilst maths can be patched to be a pseudo vca, there are at least 34 other things that it can do - search for the illustrated manual - which are often more useful

yeah you could use channel 2 or 3 as an attenuverter, but then you would have to use your hand to wiggle the knob and zero is not so easy to dial in

remember vcas can also be used for cv - modulate your modulation - so you need more - maybe a second quad vca or a dual lpg

to be honest I've got an mi veils (4vcas), streams (2vcas/lpgs) and a doepfer dual vca and maths, peaks and stages (remember you need envelope generators for those vcas) in roughly 9u of 84hp audio modules and none of my currently used audio generators - rings, tides, plaits - need external vcas - and still I sometimes wish I had more

Cool, thank you so much, that really helped a lot. I could also use a vca to lessen the output volume of the M32 VCO going into the Black Hole right? Because at the moment I need to use the built in mixer to output my oscillator to my Black Hole DSP, otherwise it will clip.
Another problem I ran into is the fact that if I output the M32s VCO into the Black Hole and then back into the external input on the M32, the effects that the Black Hole creates (say, a very long delay) will only be audible as long as the M32's gate is open. Which is to say that if I have a sequence of tones with short decay running, I can't hear anything of the Black Hole. This is probably something I could fix with a mixer right?

Also, do you prefer Veils or the Intellijel Quad?
Franktree
I recently opted Intellijel Quad over the Veils, mostly because it seemed like it would offer a bit more control. But I'm sure either would be fine. The Double Andore looks awesome.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1