MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

PS800, PSCONN3 mounting with RAK-2 Bare
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author PS800, PSCONN3 mounting with RAK-2 Bare

diophantine

Will be picking up a RAK-2 Bare combo shortly for the Frac system I've recently started. The plan is to put this in a 12"-deep wood rack from nice-racks.

How do you folks typically mount the PS800 and PSCONN3 in such a setup?

I imagine that you can screw the PS800 on one inner side (with switch and inlet facing out). But then would you mount the PSCONN3 also on an inner side of the rack (would require some 18" module power cables)? Or mount it in the middle of a 1U rear rack rail?

Or would you try to mount both the PS800 and PSCONN3 on a 3(?)U rear rack rail?

drumsofd00m

Whether separate or together, I'd put them on (a) rear rail(s), then leave empty spaces or ventilation grilles above and below. Makes for better emission of heat than mounting to a wooden side panel, and also better distribution of weight.

fracmonkey

The chassis version of the RAK2 is only 8" deep and has the psconn3 and ps800 mounted inside on the rear surface. If you could diy a box, you could save some money, size and weight. But 12" could come in handy for some larger effects, mixers, etc.

diophantine

Thanks guys!

Just ordered the combo, will test out a few options once I have it in hand.

It is going to be a tall rack (33U), otherwise I would have probably done a 8-10" deep one.

fracmonkey

diophantine wrote:

It is going to be a tall rack (33U), otherwise I would have probably done a 8-10" deep one.

Wow. You're in earthquake country. Be sure to safety wire the top to wall studs.

diophantine

fracmonkey wrote:
Wow.

That's what I said when I saw the FedEx quote for shipping it...

fracmonkey wrote:
You're in earthquake country. Be sure to safety wire the top to wall studs.

We're actually pretty safe here, surprisingly (knock on wood...) - no major faults through San Diego. But I still try* to keep stuff as earthquake-proof as possible/reasonable.

* = usual disclaimers apply.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1