MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

AWM-3: Waveshaping-Compressor-Matrix-Mix Module now shipping
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author AWM-3: Waveshaping-Compressor-Matrix-Mix Module now shipping
vintagesynthlab
Our AWM-3 module is now shipping!

A 3-channel, wave-shaping, matrix-mixer 16hp Eurorack module with compression. Official street date is tomorrow (8-March-2017) in the United States (a few days later outside the U.S.)
USD$279

Here is the YouTube channel for the AWM-3, if you haven't seen or heard it yet, we have four official video demos (more to come)... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxPMNFzg8bgY1VvC2JnkwXc70v1GCPb _s

Here is the website for more detailed info... http://www.vintagesynthlab.com/eurorack/awm-3

TechForze
Very nice! Those mix-outs are perfect for multiple speaker setup.
matttech
Got some on the way... Interested to check these out, as the myriad of patchpoints could make for some very involved signal paths
vintagesynthlab
TechForze wrote:
Very nice! Those mix-outs are perfect for multiple speaker setup.

indeed! I love sending them out stereo or to multiple inputs to my DAW!
vintagesynthlab
matttech wrote:
Got some on the way... Interested to check these out, as the myriad of patchpoints could make for some very involved signal paths

Excellent!

Which is a good segue for the subject of user guide...

While we do have a Quickstart Guide published (ships with the unit and seen below), the AWM-3 does need extensive user guidance. I have been working hard on a draft Extended User Guide for the AWM-3 (that will only be published on our website)... will include two major sections:

1) An extensive walkthrough for the modules inputs, outputs, controls, architecture, and how it works.

2) A series of illustrated settings that each accomplish a specific type of function or targeted sound (kind of like in the old days of analog effects pedals where they had a series of cheat-sheets to show you how to get various effects).

We hope to have this guide (if not complete, in an acceptable draft format to publish) uploaded by this coming weekend.
matttech
excellent - maybe ping me when it's ready and I can link to it on my site
vintagesynthlab
matttech wrote:

I will. Hopefully soon.
vintagesynthlab
matttech wrote:

EDITED for correct URL :: "Extended User Guide" is now uploaded to http://www.vintagesynthlab.com/s/AWM-3_OM_verF_0_3.pdf

This should be sufficient for nearly all users. Let me know if you have any questions or feedback. I have tried to outline the main features, as well as provide guidance on how to configure the module for various effects / use scenarios, with many illustrations, including a few setup hints toward the end of the document

Thanks!
kwaidan
I just picked up a Troika and wondered how the AWM-3 would sound waveshaping a chord. I play a lot of dub techno (i.e., Deepchord, CVC313, Fluxion, Rhythm & Sound, etc.) and have the following setup (minus the AWM-3 and one Peaks):

If I sent the output of each OSC into Veils, to control amplitude, then each out into a separate input of the AWM-3, would wavefolding be too much or would it create a denser, more textured chord than normal?
matttech
kwaidan wrote:
I just picked up a Troika and wondered how the AWM-3 would sound waveshaping a chord. I play a lot of dub techno (i.e., Deepchord, CVC313, Fluxion, Rhythm & Sound, etc.) and have the following setup (minus the AWM-3 and one Peaks):

If I sent the output of each OSC into Veils, to control amplitude, then each out into a separate input of the AWM-3, would wavefolding be too much or would it create a denser, more textured chord than normal?

Well, the ability to control the level of each oscillator output via veils would add an extra dimension to the wave folding already offered by the awm itself... Plus you would also be able to voltage control the wave folding independently on each oscillator with different modulation sources from the rest of your rig. You could also patch up various feedback paths between the output of the mixer and other inputs on the module which could produce some interesting results and help thicken the sound up.

Wave folding in general adds a lot more unique interest to basic oscillator waves and makes a welcome change from simply sending them through low pass filters etc.
MATSmile
How wavefolding will work on wavetable oscillators or complex waves in general?
kwaidan
matttech wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

Well, the ability to control the level of each oscillator output via veils would add an extra dimension to the wave folding already offered by the awm itself... Plus you would also be able to voltage control the wave folding independently on each oscillator with different modulation sources from the rest of your rig. You could also patch up various feedback paths between the output of the mixer and other inputs on the module which could produce some interesting results and help thicken the sound up.

Wave folding in general adds a lot more unique interest to basic oscillator waves and makes a welcome change from simply sending them through low pass filters etc.

Thanks! You confirmed what I suspected.
vintagesynthlab
MATSmile wrote:
How wavefolding will work on wavetable oscillators or complex waves in general?

Wave-folding generally only works on *non-rectangular waveforms, i.e. "sine", "triangle", "ramp", "Saw". Complex waveforms can still fold, but only those part of the waveform that are continuously changing.
vintagesynthlab
kwaidan wrote:

(sorry for the long response, but a lot to convey re the AWM-3)...

Dynamic Waveshaping:
Actually, the AWM-3 can process signals (wave-shape/fold) for both static and dynamic signals. In other words, putting your VCAs before the AWM-3 allows you to dynamically fold the signal. Since the AWM-3 is threshold dependent (which you can manually adjust with the BIAS controls), the use of a VCA before the inputs is highly recommend, although not necessary.
Check out https://youtu.be/SNDGG0H_WKk?list=PLxPMNFzg8bgY1VvC2JnkwXc70v1GCPb_s at 1:40 for example of Env Gen driving VCA between the VCO and AWM-3.

Static Waveshaping:
If you do not use a VCA before the AWM-3 inputs, you can still fold or shape the waveform, but the folding itself will remain where you have all of the controls set to on the AWM-3 based on a fixed level of VCO feeding the AWM-3, i.e. static wavefolding.

The exception as an effect regardless of static vs dynamic configs using external modulation:
Add modulation sources (LFOs, AR, ADSR, etc.) to the CV inputs and apply that to the BIAS via the ATTN controls... you have a PWM sound (with one LFO used), or a Chorus sound (with two LFOs used).
See https://youtu.be/g9CxUSMgGMs?list=PLxPMNFzg8bgY1VvC2JnkwXc70v1GCPb_s at 0:14 for modulation example

The manual I linked above should cover all of these aspects, but of course it is quite difficult to say how your exact setup, and preference for flavor of processing waveforms would turn out with the addition of the AWM-3. The next best thing is to check out the videos I made for these. A bit long, like my writing, but explains it well.
kwaidan
vintagesynthlab wrote:
kwaidan wrote:

(sorry for the long response, but a lot to convey re the AWM-3)...

Dynamic Waveshaping:
Actually, the AWM-3 can process signals (wave-shape/fold) for both static and dynamic signals. In other words, putting your VCAs before the AWM-3 allows you to dynamically fold the signal. Since the AWM-3 is threshold dependent (which you can manually adjust with the BIAS controls), the use of a VCA before the inputs is highly recommend, although not necessary.
Check out https://youtu.be/SNDGG0H_WKk?list=PLxPMNFzg8bgY1VvC2JnkwXc70v1GCPb_s at 1:40 for example of Env Gen driving VCA between the VCO and AWM-3.

Static Waveshaping:
If you do not use a VCA before the AWM-3 inputs, you can still fold or shape the waveform, but the folding itself will remain where you have all of the controls set to on the AWM-3 based on a fixed level of VCO feeding the AWM-3, i.e. static wavefolding.

The exception as an effect regardless of static vs dynamic configs using external modulation:
Add modulation sources (LFOs, AR, ADSR, etc.) to the CV inputs and apply that to the BIAS via the ATTN controls... you have a PWM sound (with one LFO used), or a Chorus sound (with two LFOs used).
See https://youtu.be/g9CxUSMgGMs?list=PLxPMNFzg8bgY1VvC2JnkwXc70v1GCPb_s at 0:14 for modulation example

The manual I linked above should cover all of these aspects, but of course it is quite difficult to say how your exact setup, and preference for flavor of processing waveforms would turn out with the addition of the AWM-3. The next best thing is to check out the videos I made for these. A bit long, like my writing, but explains it well.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess my biggest concern is that folding three waveforms will making a triad will add too many harmonics, creating aural mush!

However, I have repeatedly watched your videos, and I think your module will add motion, hiss, and grit to a chord, which is what I want to separate my setup from a normal analog poly synth.
md1frejo
somewhere it is mentioned that chorus like sounds can be generated. Any examples of that?

I'm considering either this one or mi ring (I know they are different), so if there is any drone/ambient examples available from awm-3 it would help a little bit.
vintagesynthlab
kwaidan wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I guess my biggest concern is that folding three waveforms will making a triad will add too many harmonics, creating aural mush!

However, I have repeatedly watched your videos, and I think your module will add motion, hiss, and grit to a chord, which is what I want to separate my setup from a normal analog poly synth.

Absolutely understood. It has its place for waveform processing, some better in those areas of perhaps an analog effect module (not just mixer), than other types of modules of wave-shaping class.
vintagesynthlab
md1frejo wrote:
somewhere it is mentioned that chorus like sounds can be generated. Any examples of that?

I'm considering either this one or mi ring (I know they are different), so if there is any drone/ambient examples available from awm-3 it would help a little bit.

So here is another example of modulation applied to the CV inputs (which modulates wave-fold bias). This, in turn, produces PWM-like sounds. And when more than one modulation source is applied--whether applied to a single channel's other polarity of wave-folding, or another channel's CV input(s), the AWM-3 can produce either monophonic and/or stereophonic chorusing ...not in the traditional chorus' modulated delay signal mixing, but rather in the PW modulation in effect due to the LFOs applied to wave-fold bias, as in this latest video, which I just uploaded to YouTube at

MARK27
Thank you for making black panel modules!

Also, that is a really clever design. I will add it to the GAS file.
honeysmack
Would sending percussive/drum sounds from voices such as the BIA, Plonk, Akemie's Taiko, Neuron and so on get any effective results from the AWM-3. Or is the AWM-3 more suitable for continuous waveforms?

Thanks
vintagesynthlab
MARK27 wrote:
Thank you for making black panel modules!

Also, that is a really clever design. I will add it to the GAS file.

Thanks, Mark! I was also pleased with it (being one half of VSL, the other half--William, is the artist at heart, so I appreciate his work, too!)
vintagesynthlab
honeysmack wrote:
Would sending percussive/drum sounds from voices such as the BIA, Plonk, Akemie's Taiko, Neuron and so on get any effective results from the AWM-3. Or is the AWM-3 more suitable for continuous waveforms?

Thanks

I advertise (and encourage) the use of the AWM-3 for both static and dynamic signals. However, you of course want a VCA ahead of your static signals to create dynamic ones. This helps fine tune the compressor since it is a fixed threshold optimized for typical Eurorack signal levels. As for the wave folding, that is where the dynamic implementation / config. can make a big difference.

As for those specific (other) modules, it is of course difficult to say how they would sound--but in all honesty, I'm not too familiar with much of what's on the market these days.
Futuresound
Does anyone have any demos or examples of this module to share? Not a lot out there.

That chorusing demo up above is very cool though, I had not seen that before.
nios
I have one of these, it's rather fantastic. I may or may not get around to trying to get some demos up if nobody else does, been super busy lately though so don't count on it soon. Dead Banana

It's kind of weird for a folder, in a really great way. VSL describes it as chorus-like in capacity, but it sounds more like PWM to me. This comes from LFO'ing the positive/negative CVs slowly, up to at least 6x over. Some designs tend to lead you down certain explorations on their own and this subtle phasing/pwm'ing comes up very often on the AWM-3. It can still easily do typical folder tasks, but because you have such a degree of fine controls over where it's folding, you tend to want to explore that. Do you want to just tuck in the very tips of your triangle, or the whole thing? Top half or bottom half, a lot on top but very little on bottom, take your pick.

Depending on your sound source the compressor makes either little audible difference or a gigantic one, this is one of those modules where there's almost too much to do/try and you get stuck listening to the same drone evolving for an hour as you fiddle on it. I've got one other dedicated folder (A-137-1) and it's generally either far tamer than this thing, or, quickly overfolds and blows up the signal into noise once you push it. I also have a folder in my Warps which I wouldn't even compare to this.

For a triple folder, it's almost oddly hard to make it really mess up your signal, it's very well-behaved so to speak. While I do like it a lot I might add that it's not normalled down the row of folders, so, yes you will need a several small cables to triple fold one signal. It's also very dense layout obviously. Normally I dig feature-packed layouts that give fountains of functionality, but this thing also has so many patch points that when fully going it can be hard to even reach in to try flicking on/off the compressors.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1