MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

STG Time Divider
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author STG Time Divider
sunsinger
The Time Divider Prototype.



Not much to say about this module except that it's really cool and very useful. It's pretty straight forward to anyone who owns modules from the STG "Time Modules" suite of sequencers. I've been lucky enough to collect a Time Buffer, Trigger Mini Store, a Shift Manager, and 4 Voltage Mini Store modules.

The Time Divider is a very welcome addition to this array. In it's most basic form it's pretty obvious what the TDM does. It turns clock pulses, sent from the Time Buffer's Din Sync, into some pretty serious time divisions. These divisions are all musical and very useful.

You will need to have, at a minimum, a Time Buffer to use this module since it takes it's clock from the Din Sync. This is done through a behind the panel connection, like all of the other members of the Time Modules family. The TDM has a Gate/Trigger switch far left, and
a Positive/Inverted switch that controls whether the sync is the leading edge or the trailing edge of the clock pulse. It also has a pretty purple LED, always a favorite of mine.

Once the Time Buffer and the Time Divider are hooked up, you can send these clocked divisions anywhere of course. But they work very nicely on a multiple VMS array using the Shift Inputs to expand the power of this already gutsy sequencer. applause
urbanscallywag
dig the musical labels on the outputs

thumbs up
REwire
Can't wait until it hits Euro, my STG suite is missing that one thing.

Big question is, are the divided outputs like the tempo selections on the Graphic Seq and Trigger Seq that always start on 1 or like a real clock divider that does not?

See navs.modular.lab's analysis:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2010/03/patch-tips3-analogue-digita l-logic.html

Dan
suitandtieguy
oh yes, it only outputs pulses while the transport is in motion, and they all start with the transport. it would be useless without this, as you can imagine.
Just me
So when are you going to make a time buffer that uses the MIDI clock? I have nothing that uses Sync24 and don't want some wall wart powered adapter gizmo to have to worry about integrating into my system.
VinceL
I'm with Just Me on the STG Time Modules series.

I have no gear that uses Din Sync. A MIDI-based Time Modules series would be of great interest to me.

How about it, Suit?
awesome
VinceL wrote:
I'm with Just Me on the STG Time Modules series.

I have no gear that uses Din Sync. A MIDI-based Time Modules series would be of great interest to me.

How about it, Suit?


just get a MIDI to Din sync converter?

such as http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Sync-Shift%20MKII.html

expensive i suppose, but better than waiting for MIDI-based Time Modules that prob won't get made...
dude
awesome amount of available divisions!!!

may be my bastard euro side but no lights on available divisions leaves too much guess work in quick and crazy (wild'n'wooly) patching situations (the way i love to love). just sayin'.
suitandtieguy
there _will_ be a module that reads (and generates) MIDI in 2011. it won't be called "Time Buffer" though.

in the meantime, if you need MIDI sync and don't want any extra boxes sitting around, i'll install this in the Time Buffer for you if you buy it and have it shipped to me. the DIN input would then become a MIDI input:

http://www.synhouse.com/midijackdinsync.html

right now we're finishing the firmware on this (it got put on hold for a couple months for a bunch of reasons i don't have time to write about) and the board is going to be rejiggered into SMT so the same mainboard can be used for this and a few other logic/divider oriented modules i want to make.
dude
and i have to also say fuck midi in the ass
suitandtieguy
i don't hate midi, i just wanted to handle everything in the order i wanted to handle it.
dude
suitandtieguy wrote:
i don't hate midi, i just wanted to handle everything in the order i wanted to handle it.


haha, to be clear, im not implying that you hate midi. i am boldly stating that IIIIIIII hate midi.
VinceL
suitandtieguy wrote:
there _will_ be a module that reads (and generates) MIDI in 2011. it won't be called "Time Buffer" though.


That's great to know.

I think I can wait until next year to see what new MIDI-based sequencing module(s) you come up with. But......I could get impatient and go for the Time Buffer with the MIDI to DIN installed.
Just me
I stand corrected! I do have a DIN sync available! I should read the manuals of my stuff more often. The Encore expressionist has a MIDI to DIN convertor with a time divider built in!
This stuff all moves higher on the priority list again.
Thanks for your offer to custom build, Suit!
essex sound lab
Just me wrote:
The Encore expressionist has a MIDI to DIN convertor with a time divider built in!


Thanks for reminding me of that. Maybe I should keep mine.
WaveRider
REwire wrote:
Can't wait until it hits Euro, my STG suite is missing that one thing.



yeah, it's a must have or the STG suite cannot provide timing signals to other modules.... so any announcements that it will be available in eurorack will encourage me to get into the STG time module line...
giorgio
encore expressionist midi clock to DIN sync seems tight to me as well unlike some other midi to din sync converters i've had around.
suitandtieguy
WaveRider wrote:
yeah, it's a must have or the STG suite cannot provide timing signals to other modules.... so any announcements that it will be available in eurorack will encourage me to get into the STG time module line...


the trigger sequencer can provide timing signals to other modules.

but if you meant _clock_ signals then yes you are correct.

i can't promise when it's going to be available in eurorack, but it's one of two SMT projects which are coming up soon.
WaveRider
suitandtieguy wrote:
WaveRider wrote:
yeah, it's a must have or the STG suite cannot provide timing signals to other modules.... so any announcements that it will be available in eurorack will encourage me to get into the STG time module line...


the trigger sequencer can provide timing signals to other modules.

but if you meant _clock_ signals then yes you are correct.

i can't promise when it's going to be available in eurorack, but it's one of two SMT projects which are coming up soon.


Hi! Just checking, if your time divider is about to get out in eurorack????...

I am sitting here with a XoXbox and a Miami smile connected with DIN sync -I haven't used DINsync since 94- but boy does it grooves smile

and the modular is finally here so I am ready to get my stg time modules! time buffer + time divider!

...but I take note that I could step my sequencers with your trigger sequencer, if your time divider is not about to be available in eurorack... It's just that I would prefer not ordering that if your time divider is just around the corner (60 days or so)!
solitaryzen
And are there any plans of making any more modules available in frac format?
suitandtieguy
WaveRider wrote:
...but I take note that I could step my sequencers with your trigger sequencer, if your time divider is not about to be available in eurorack... It's just that I would prefer not ordering that if your time divider is just around the corner (60 days or so)!


i'm sorry to be a huge disappointment but i don't think this module is going to be ready in eurorack within 60 days.

it's one of those things that got delayed because of finishing Archangel. i'm sorry.

solitaryzen wrote:
And are there any plans of making any more modules available in frac format?


no. only euro and moog from here on out.
ben jah men
suitandtieguy


hey dude! I don't know if you remember meeting me out at Sacred Earth. Your set was soooo amazing. I'm really inspired to get back on my modular.

So.. I'm thinking about looking into getting some sequencing going. Basically, I know little about the eurorack modules I have, even less about the ones I don't! Do you have any recommendations for getting started with sequencing? I'd like to be able to use my Native Instruments Maschine to send clock to my Vulcan Modulator LFO... can I use any of your modules for that?

thanks for any time you have to point me in the best direction... and thanks for the wonderful audio experience!

peace

benjamen
giorgio
any news on the euro version of this? about to get my STG suite going again now that I have a din-sync source again
suitandtieguy
ben jah men wrote:
hey dude! I don't know if you remember meeting me out at Sacred Earth. Your set was soooo amazing. I'm really inspired to get back on my modular.


dude i am so sorry i didn't notice this post until today. thank you so much for your very touching words. you should fiend me on Facefuck or something.

giorgio wrote:
any news on the euro version of this? about to get my STG suite going again now that I have a din-sync source again


the news is that i am on "outside firmware guy number 2" now, and maybe this one will be motivated to actually look at the code. and by "maybe" i mean "i'm pretty sure this guy is on board" as opposed to the last one which was "well he's out of work, i don't see why he wouldn't jump on this ...."



cocaine might be a helluva drug but it has nothing on videogames, laziness, and severe depression as far and making a complete wreck of your life goes.
giorgio
cool
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group