MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

STG Time Divider
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Author STG Time Divider
sunsinger
The Time Divider Prototype.

Not much to say about this module except that it's really cool and very useful. It's pretty straight forward to anyone who owns modules from the STG "Time Modules" suite of sequencers. I've been lucky enough to collect a Time Buffer, Trigger Mini Store, a Shift Manager, and 4 Voltage Mini Store modules.

The Time Divider is a very welcome addition to this array. In it's most basic form it's pretty obvious what the TDM does. It turns clock pulses, sent from the Time Buffer's Din Sync, into some pretty serious time divisions. These divisions are all musical and very useful.

You will need to have, at a minimum, a Time Buffer to use this module since it takes it's clock from the Din Sync. This is done through a behind the panel connection, like all of the other members of the Time Modules family. The TDM has a Gate/Trigger switch far left, and
a Positive/Inverted switch that controls whether the sync is the leading edge or the trailing edge of the clock pulse. It also has a pretty purple LED, always a favorite of mine.

Once the Time Buffer and the Time Divider are hooked up, you can send these clocked divisions anywhere of course. But they work very nicely on a multiple VMS array using the Shift Inputs to expand the power of this already gutsy sequencer. applause
urbanscallywag
dig the musical labels on the outputs

thumbs up
REwire
Can't wait until it hits Euro, my STG suite is missing that one thing.

Big question is, are the divided outputs like the tempo selections on the Graphic Seq and Trigger Seq that always start on 1 or like a real clock divider that does not?

See navs.modular.lab's analysis:

http://navsmodularlab.blogspot.com/2010/03/patch-tips3-analogue-digita l-logic.html

Dan
suitandtieguy
oh yes, it only outputs pulses while the transport is in motion, and they all start with the transport. it would be useless without this, as you can imagine.
Just me
So when are you going to make a time buffer that uses the MIDI clock? I have nothing that uses Sync24 and don't want some wall wart powered adapter gizmo to have to worry about integrating into my system.
VinceL
I'm with Just Me on the STG Time Modules series.

I have no gear that uses Din Sync. A MIDI-based Time Modules series would be of great interest to me.

How about it, Suit?
awesome
VinceL wrote:
I'm with Just Me on the STG Time Modules series.

I have no gear that uses Din Sync. A MIDI-based Time Modules series would be of great interest to me.

How about it, Suit?

just get a MIDI to Din sync converter?

such as http://www.innerclocksystems.com/New%20ICS%20Sync-Shift%20MKII.html

expensive i suppose, but better than waiting for MIDI-based Time Modules that prob won't get made...
dude
awesome amount of available divisions!!!

may be my bastard euro side but no lights on available divisions leaves too much guess work in quick and crazy (wild'n'wooly) patching situations (the way i love to love). just sayin'.
suitandtieguy
there _will_ be a module that reads (and generates) MIDI in 2011. it won't be called "Time Buffer" though.

in the meantime, if you need MIDI sync and don't want any extra boxes sitting around, i'll install this in the Time Buffer for you if you buy it and have it shipped to me. the DIN input would then become a MIDI input:

http://www.synhouse.com/midijackdinsync.html

right now we're finishing the firmware on this (it got put on hold for a couple months for a bunch of reasons i don't have time to write about) and the board is going to be rejiggered into SMT so the same mainboard can be used for this and a few other logic/divider oriented modules i want to make.
dude
and i have to also say fuck midi in the ass
suitandtieguy
i don't hate midi, i just wanted to handle everything in the order i wanted to handle it.
dude
suitandtieguy wrote:
i don't hate midi, i just wanted to handle everything in the order i wanted to handle it.

haha, to be clear, im not implying that you hate midi. i am boldly stating that IIIIIIII hate midi.
VinceL
suitandtieguy wrote:
there _will_ be a module that reads (and generates) MIDI in 2011. it won't be called "Time Buffer" though.

That's great to know.

I think I can wait until next year to see what new MIDI-based sequencing module(s) you come up with. But......I could get impatient and go for the Time Buffer with the MIDI to DIN installed.
Just me
I stand corrected! I do have a DIN sync available! I should read the manuals of my stuff more often. The Encore expressionist has a MIDI to DIN convertor with a time divider built in!
This stuff all moves higher on the priority list again.
Thanks for your offer to custom build, Suit!
essex sound lab
Just me wrote:
The Encore expressionist has a MIDI to DIN convertor with a time divider built in!

Thanks for reminding me of that. Maybe I should keep mine.
WaveRider
REwire wrote:
Can't wait until it hits Euro, my STG suite is missing that one thing.

yeah, it's a must have or the STG suite cannot provide timing signals to other modules.... so any announcements that it will be available in eurorack will encourage me to get into the STG time module line...
giorgio
encore expressionist midi clock to DIN sync seems tight to me as well unlike some other midi to din sync converters i've had around.
suitandtieguy
WaveRider wrote:
yeah, it's a must have or the STG suite cannot provide timing signals to other modules.... so any announcements that it will be available in eurorack will encourage me to get into the STG time module line...

the trigger sequencer can provide timing signals to other modules.

but if you meant _clock_ signals then yes you are correct.

i can't promise when it's going to be available in eurorack, but it's one of two SMT projects which are coming up soon.
WaveRider
suitandtieguy wrote:
WaveRider wrote:

the trigger sequencer can provide timing signals to other modules.

but if you meant _clock_ signals then yes you are correct.

i can't promise when it's going to be available in eurorack, but it's one of two SMT projects which are coming up soon.

Hi! Just checking, if your time divider is about to get out in eurorack????...

I am sitting here with a XoXbox and a Miami smile connected with DIN sync -I haven't used DINsync since 94- but boy does it grooves smile

and the modular is finally here so I am ready to get my stg time modules! time buffer + time divider!

...but I take note that I could step my sequencers with your trigger sequencer, if your time divider is not about to be available in eurorack... It's just that I would prefer not ordering that if your time divider is just around the corner (60 days or so)!
solitaryzen
And are there any plans of making any more modules available in frac format?
suitandtieguy
WaveRider wrote:
...but I take note that I could step my sequencers with your trigger sequencer, if your time divider is not about to be available in eurorack... It's just that I would prefer not ordering that if your time divider is just around the corner (60 days or so)!

i'm sorry to be a huge disappointment but i don't think this module is going to be ready in eurorack within 60 days.

it's one of those things that got delayed because of finishing Archangel. i'm sorry.

solitaryzen wrote:
And are there any plans of making any more modules available in frac format?

no. only euro and moog from here on out.
ben jah men
suitandtieguy

hey dude! I don't know if you remember meeting me out at Sacred Earth. Your set was soooo amazing. I'm really inspired to get back on my modular.

So.. I'm thinking about looking into getting some sequencing going. Basically, I know little about the eurorack modules I have, even less about the ones I don't! Do you have any recommendations for getting started with sequencing? I'd like to be able to use my Native Instruments Maschine to send clock to my Vulcan Modulator LFO... can I use any of your modules for that?

thanks for any time you have to point me in the best direction... and thanks for the wonderful audio experience!

peace

benjamen
giorgio
any news on the euro version of this? about to get my STG suite going again now that I have a din-sync source again
suitandtieguy
ben jah men wrote:
hey dude! I don't know if you remember meeting me out at Sacred Earth. Your set was soooo amazing. I'm really inspired to get back on my modular.

dude i am so sorry i didn't notice this post until today. thank you so much for your very touching words. you should fiend me on Facefuck or something.

giorgio wrote:
any news on the euro version of this? about to get my STG suite going again now that I have a din-sync source again

the news is that i am on "outside firmware guy number 2" now, and maybe this one will be motivated to actually look at the code. and by "maybe" i mean "i'm pretty sure this guy is on board" as opposed to the last one which was "well he's out of work, i don't see why he wouldn't jump on this ...."

cocaine might be a helluva drug but it has nothing on videogames, laziness, and severe depression as far and making a complete wreck of your life goes.
giorgio
cool
WaveRider
yeah, still waiting with my Xoxbox and Miami lol
suitandtieguy
OK so outside firmware guy number 2 was a no-show.

Joe rewrote the code from the ground up (he wanted to re-evaluate the math in it) over the past few days and we QA'd it last night. it _appears_ to be working perfectly. the fact that he did this on a laptop at his parents' house 5 states away without any Time Divider hardware in front of him should be an inspiration to all of you.

i have to spend some more time with it without any people around to know for sure but right now i'm saying this is ready to move to the next step: hardware rev 2.
diophantine
applause

I really liked what you did with this & the switch in that ratcheting demo the other day! Glad it is progressing, despite the firmware-flake.

Could you shed some more light on the controls and outputs? I think the last time I actually studied music notation was when I was 10...

I'm guessing the "standard" notes are obviously the whole/half/quarter/eighth/16/32 outputs, and the "dotted" 1/2/4/8 outputs are just the whole/half/quarter/eighth ones with an extended gate time? But not sure about the others.

Also, I have it in my mind that the DIN24 clock signal a 1/64th note, is this right? So the 1/16 note here (or on the TMS/VMS) would be /4 of the clock?
suitandtieguy
I just hooked up Archangel in this mess to make a 32-stage ratchet sequence on a very familiar ostinato.

i will post about it later.

diophantine wrote:
I really liked what you did with this & the switch in that ratcheting demo the other day! Glad it is progressing, despite the firmware-flake.

thank you.

diophantine wrote:
I'm guessing the "standard" notes are obviously the whole/half/quarter/eighth/16/32 outputs, and the "dotted" 1/2/4/8 outputs are just the whole/half/quarter/eighth ones with an extended gate time? But not sure about the others.

yes. a dotted note is 150 percent of the time of whatever the original note is. so a dotted eighth note is like an eighth tied to a sixteenth.

a 16th note triplet is 1/3rd the value of an eighth note.

gate mode is 50 percent duty cycle. trigger mode is 1/24th of a quarter note in duration.

normal rhythm mode is what you would expect out of it. inverted mode inverts the rhythm. in gate mode it is a logical inversion of the clock. however in trigger mode it's a _rhythmic_ inversion of the clock.

diophantine wrote:
Also, I have it in my mind that the DIN24 clock signal a 1/64th note, is this right? So the 1/16 note here (or on the TMS/VMS) would be /4 of the clock?

no. sync24 is 24 clocks per quarter note. this is equivalent to a 96th note, so a 16th is 6 clocks long.
diophantine
Thanks Mr. STG! This is sounding great. Definitely something much different than other clock dividers, which I didn't realize when I gave this a cursory glance 10 months ago...

suitandtieguy wrote:
a 16th note triplet is 1/3rd the value of an eighth note.

Okay, so it is a further division, but by 3... interesting! I thought it might've perhaps been a triple trigger-burst or something, but that was just a wild guess.

suitandtieguy wrote:
normal rhythm mode is what you would expect out of it. inverted mode inverts the rhythm. in gate mode it is a logical inversion of the clock. however in trigger mode it's a _rhythmic_ inversion of the clock.

Christ, I think that one may fry my brain!

What do "2 Bars" and "Start Pulse" do, or are they inputs?

suitandtieguy wrote:
no. sync24 is 24 clocks per quarter note. this is equivalent to a 96th note, so a 16th is 6 clocks long.

Man, no love for the 2^n from those Roland guys! waah

Looking forward to your 32-stage ratcheting!
det3
diophantine wrote:
What do "2 Bars" and "Start Pulse" do, or are they inputs?

The start pulse is a trigger pulse that is sent out when the transport starts. The 2 bar output is a double-whole note, or 2 bars.

Sorry, you won't get two glasses of beer out of the jack. Guinness ftw!
suitandtieguy
here's another demo:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/suitandtieguy/the-password-is-mexico-ratchet[  /s]
Christopher Winkels
suitandtieguy wrote:
here's another demo:

[s]http://soundcloud.com/suitandtieguy/the-password-is-mexico-ratchet[  /s]

That is full of Vitamin F(antastic).
Henfield
[quote="Christopher Winkels"]
suitandtieguy wrote:

Way back in my college days, we had a completely different definition for what Vitamin F is, and it wasn't Fantastic! w00t!! (well it was Fantastic in a way, but the F was standing for a different, shorter word)
Christopher Winkels
Henfield wrote:
Christopher Winkels wrote:

Way back in my college days, we had a completely different definition for what Vitamin F is, and it wasn't Fantastic! w00t!! (well it was Fantastic in a way, but the F was standing for a different, shorter word)

"Fabulous"? hmmm..... lol
essex sound lab
This is all remarkably motivational!

And good to hear that the Archangel is still alive.

Sorry for the ELP quip earlier...
suitandtieguy
Sorry? I thought it was hilarious!
WaveRider
giorgio wrote:

yeah, my Xoxbox and miami just waiting, got the STG din-sync on order.... hope you advance this project, thanks smile
WaveRider
WaveRider wrote:

Hi! Just checking, if your time divider is about to get out in eurorack????...

funny I asked the same question 1 year ago day for day!
WaveRider
...well, back from the store, I noticed that the Time Buffer is not meant to be used in a skiff!!!!! What a shame, both sequencers are!!!! I did not know that, so bye bye to my portable aceed rig!!!! XoxBox, Miami, SEM, and a skiff with the stg suite. That was a fantastic idea for my brand new skiff... very frustrating

So I guess i am out of my DIN sync dream.... I'll have to get another small portable case before I can fulfill it... Dead Banana
suitandtieguy
We can make it work.
WaveRider
suitandtieguy wrote:
We can make it work.

what? fit the time buffer in a skiff???

or work on getting the time divider out?????

...anyway I am all for this "DINsynced" sequencer line, please DO follow up and develop your line, cause at this point I am wishing someone else would offer such sequencers, the quality is top notch but the most important piece is the time divider!!!!!I need to get those pulses out to the rest of my modular.
sunsinger
I'm pretty sure that STG can make a modification to a timebuffer. It would probably involve re-mounting the card.

I have a time buffer that I had to extend because I had too many sequencers etc.
Eric just sent me another card part and a cable to link the two cards. I just mounted the card to the floor of my cabinet with some spacers and screws.

It gave me eight or more outputs. Easy as that.
Send a PM to Eric and ask if he can do this. His sequencing system is the bomb!

I've got a Time Modules system with 5 VMS, Two TMS, two Shift Managers a time divider, and a time buffer. Works flawlessly.
WaveRider
sunsinger wrote:

I've got a Time Modules system with 5 VMS, Two TMS, two Shift Managers a time divider, and a time buffer. Works flawlessly.

great that you enjoy it! I am in euro format, so there is only the trigger sequencer, graphic, and time buffer at the moment.

I am a big fan of DINsync for synchronization, I used to have a super setup, with a 808, 909, cr78, 2XCSQ-600 sequencing 2 sh-2. Well that tight groove is unobtainable with midi. So I want to build another similar setup with a Xoxbox, a Miami, a SEM, (+ soon a minitaur) and a sequencing skiff.

The STG suite is looking like a great setup, but all my needs are not covered.... but that must be real cool to have a trigger+graphic sequencer locked to the Miami+Xoxbox. I like the stop+restart on step 1 being all taken care of thru the din sync. And the timing changes appearing at the next iteration is brilliant. They should be the bomb to play!!! And the magical tight, shuffled grooves that it can make!

...anyway it's a very long winded project of mine, a very important one for me, to go back to what I had in until '94...

but what I am missing with the stg suite:
-how to have more than one din sync slave
-the 24ppqn and all signals should be be available (I see that the time divider has 32th out, that is good for music, but I would like to have the original signal out (24ppqn) to sync the seq-02 or modcan seqencer, and for other fast clock cv effects)
-would love to have more sequencer choices, from stg or other module makers, that plug into the time buffer

But I really think I am about to dive in soon!!!!! My xoxbox-miami setup needs expanding, I tried with a kenton and midi but it's not grooving as well, and the timing is a bit behind of course. So it fell flat, I want a large din sync/trigger, analog sequencing setup...
giorgio
you can add more dinsync outputs to the time buffer easily
sunsinger
giorgio wrote:

Yes, it's true. I mentioned that in my post. I connected a new Time Buffer card, which Eric supplies at a reduced cost, to the 1st time buffer. There is also a DinSync out on the TB module. The Sync is unbelievably tight.

I just recently acquired the STG Archangel sequencer, which is a DinSync master. It's expensive, but blows most sequencers out of the water.
Archangel

It has much of the time modules suite built in, as well as well as a touch plate keyboard. The sequencing is handled in a different way however, more like the old Serge TKB, but it's very much more.

I personally think that Eric has the most well thought out sequencer systems out there for modular format. Eric is very eloquent in his designs. I'm sure that once the Archangel is released that more of the sequencer stuff will appear for Euro. Talk with Eric to be sure.

Yes, I am definitely a fanboy, but only because his stuff works so well for me. Check my soundcloud link below to hear the sequencing. Much of the stuff there is done with the sequencing tools by Eric.
WaveRider
sunsinger wrote:
giorgio wrote:

Yes, it's true. I mentioned that in my post.

sorry I did not get that, so you have more than one DINsync slave (external boxes), I tough you just needed to have more than 7 STG sequencers connected to that time buffer.

So what I get from you 2, is that I can get a second time buffer, slave it to the 1st, and then use it to sync another external dinsync box.... but that is a mod we have to ask STG about.... so nice to know then!

As for the archangel sequencer, I did not know that it was a dinSYNC master (I guess it cannot be a slave?), should be a very nice tool indeed, hope to see some more specs/demos soon, but it's way over budget, I am thinking of getting a graphic sequencer and a time buffer now... and a time divider when it's out.. that's all I need to get going... so maybe I should wait for the archangel instead. Nice, now I don't know what I want anymore seriously, i just don't get it
sunsinger
Sorry to confuse things for you.
Just put it this way. It can't hurt to have the Time Modules first... I did.
The Archangel is three times the fun now, because I have a solid Time Modules Suite.

Myself, I'd go with your current plans for the moment.
I have the Archangel prototype only, so while its close, it's not quite ready for prime time yet.
Just a mouthwatering tidbit for the future. thumbs up
WaveRider
sunsinger wrote:

The Archangel is three times the fun now, because I have a solid Time Modules Suite.

yeah man, that must be lots of fun.

BTW I was quite blown away by the music on your soundcloud page!!!! wow very good stuff, impressive resume too smile
suitandtieguy
Good news. Joe is working on the Divider PCB this week, so things should start moving again.
Bryan B
suitandtieguy wrote:
Good news. Joe is working on the Divider PCB this week, so things should start moving again.

Yesssss! thumbs up
sunsinger
WaveRider wrote:
sunsinger wrote:

yeah man, that must be lots of fun.

BTW I was quite blown away by the music on your soundcloud page!!!! wow very good stuff, impressive resume too smile

Thanks much for your kind words!
suitandtieguy
this PCB is going to be used in 3 different modules, with versions in both formats. the Time Divider (moog and euro), the .DIV(euro)/Dividers(moog), and a logic module.
lorenzovektor
.Div , wooohooo!

It's peanut butter jelly time!

I been wanting on this! Can't wait to get my triplets on!!!
mikecameron
HALLELUJAH!! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
WaveRider
suitandtieguy wrote:

great!!!

suitandtieguy wrote:
this PCB is going to be used in 3 different modules, with versions in both formats. the Time Divider (moog and euro), the .DIV(euro)/Dividers(moog), and a logic module.

you know you have a very hot lineup in your hands!!!.... that suite is going to be sweet!!!!!! so happy to see you get going on this Guinness ftw!

I ordered a 2-row skiff today, that will be for my DIN-synced STG aceed machine Rockin' Banana!
EMwhite
Hey Suit. Just wanted to ask for an update on availability of Time Divider?

Having just gotten the other Time modules into my rig, I'm looking towards the next step which will be some sort of clock divider, etc.

I've got my Moog Multi-pedal acting as clock source at the moment, pushing a Doepfer MSY2 Mid to Sync converter into the Buffer.

Maschine provides the beat (Roland CR-78 is my drum box of choice) and everything is Locked like nobodies business.

I'd love to take divisions of the Time Buffer clock elsewhere in my rig; at the moment, the only way to do this as far as I know is to take the Trig out from the Trigger Mini Store or to sacrifice one of the channels of the Shift Mgr set to one but that's no fun!

Thanks.
suitandtieguy
the design is done, right now i'm trying to find a new SMT manufacturer, as the company i worked with previously apparently doesn't care about my business any more, doesn't return emails or phone calls.

whatevs, it's now "commodity manufacturing", so it's a simple process now.

as soon as i have more data i'll post it here.
WaveRider
suitandtieguy wrote:

as soon as i have more data i'll post it here.

my new case is coming next week!

I guess you were busy on the archangel.... hope you get going on this soon!!...
suitandtieguy
OK so this far enough along i went ahead and made the sales page. we are working with an assembly house on our second job with them right now and this will be in the next batch. shipping in February in Moog format:

http://stgsoundlabs.com/products/time_divider_mu.htm

anyone who emails me their t-shirt size with their order gets a free t-shirt when it ships.
zapp550
Yes SlayerBadger!
Bryan B
I have every intention of purchasing a divider in the near future, and I would love to sport an STG shirt as well.
WaveRider
I hope the euro version follows soon... any idea ?
kuxaan-sum
+1 for Euro....been waiting for this?
I wants a shirt too... hyper
Paranormal Patroler
hmmm..... This might come in handy.
VinceL
STG website says Time Divider shipping in "February 2013."

Has anyone received one? seriously, i just don't get it
suitandtieguy
nope. no one ordered one either.
zapp550
suitandtieguy wrote:
nope. no one ordered one either.

eek!
If they're "ready" to go i'll plunk the cash down next payday. I'm tired of clocking my 5U rig from my flame clockwork.
Bryan B
I am waiting on a friend's tax return (hopefully a week or 2).
Just me
Insurance, registration and buying back my time suite has me broke for a bit. Soon as I recover, that isnext.
Mr. Pete
is this thing in euro yet?
kindredlost
How is this coming along? Am I the only one that ordered one in 5U?

LOL. No sweat, it's not like I'm on a recording budget and studio schedule but I'd love to be rockin' it in the system.

C'mon folks. Help me and Suit out. Order these so the run can be made. (do I sound desperate?)

I use dinsync for it's stability when I can but I don't have enough clocking modules to justify it most of the time. This will make a difference for sure with the Time Suite modules.

I'd love to have one of those Archangels to go along with these. Ron Sunsinger's setup is soooo nice. we're not worthy
VinceL
kindredlost wrote:
How is this coming along? Am I the only one that ordered one in 5U?

LOL. No sweat, it's not like I'm on a recording budget and studio schedule but I'd love to be rockin' it in the system.

C'mon folks. Help me and Suit out. Order these so the run can be made. (do I sound desperate?)...

I have let Suit know that I definitely will order one as soon as they are available.

I have enough tied up in orders/deposits for modules that I just couldn't (wouldn't seriously, i just don't get it ) pay for the Time Divider ahead of time.

You may be the only person who has already paid, but I am sure there are others, besides me, who will be ordering the Time Divider.
suitandtieguy
good news. i'm at the point where i'm just going to be waiting for the assembly house to finish the PCBs. still 6 weeks out but this is exciting. this PCB is also going to be used for the logic module too and the integer dividers.

it's been a long road so far. thanks for not burning me.
suitandtieguy
I'm sorry guys i'm sure i look like the biggest loser in the world but this is finally getting out the door.

if you're waiting for this in Moog format you'll have it soon, should ship on Thursday:

nerdware
XMAS came early. Thanks! love
sunsinger
My hero! love love love
suitandtieguy
thanks guys, i'm glad you've been supportive.

i shipped 3 of these today. should get the last one out tomorrow.

it'll be a couple weeks before i can make more of them, i have to order new front panel PCBs as there's a tiny little revision it needed.
Tronman
Looking forward to the Integer Dividers hyper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> STG Soundlabs  
Page 1 of 4