MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RE-303 vs Avalon
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author RE-303 vs Avalon
anselmi
Beyond the obvious extras on the Avalon is there any other differences that I should considere? Maybe the sound, sequencer features, connectiity?

Thanks!
Zerius
I think if you are looking for the vintage box and no worried to build your own the re 303 is perfect

If you are looking for a acid box with more possibilities to design the sound like the second envelope, nice sequencer, the cv possibilities, the filter cards, Avalon is your boy

Re 303 = + pure 303
- you have to build your own

Avalon = + 303 original sound and design of the sound
- 1000$ for a acid box ?

Those who are not really into acid bass line would consider the price too high but I think it worth the possibilities
computer controlled
Both is the only true answer.
ngarjuna
For sound comparison I'd check out the Abstrakt YouTube page; he's got some A/B against his reference 303 (an RE-303 should sound identical from everything I've seen read). For me the Avalon passes the "does it sound perfectly authentic" (this is with additional features zeroed out of course) but that's probably the most important thing for starters.

Feature wise the Avalon does have some good stuff up its sleeve:
-in addition to pitch and time mode the sequencer has some more modern ways to input (hence the 16 step buttons)
-easy access to shifting (right left) and transposing (up down) patterns
-Sequencer gives you up to 64 steps per pattern
-a bunch of CV ins and outs, external input, MIDI
-the added envelope (triggerable per step)
-haven't seen it mentioned yet but the filter cards: I don't have any (neither the ladder nor the SEM interest me much) but the JP, the 4075 and the Wasp I'm ready to try
-Sub @-1/-2 (3 waves which ultimately also gives you a triangle)
-Shuffle
-adjustable slide times
-doesn't get a lot of use by me but there is a little arpeggiator
-external input
CF3
I've got the Avalon and I've had a few different TB-303's over the years (along with many other 303 clones). Can't speak on the RE-303...haven't tried it, but looks cool as hell. woah

Avalon nails the sound IMO. Especially if you set it to the "default" 303 settings by using the dip switches. I much prefer the Avalon to the original. Especially the sequencer. I never liked the original 303 sequencer. The Avalon sequencer is realtime, up to 64 steps (4 bars), has random, last step, direction, rotate, transpose, etc etc. Not to mention CV I/O, CV filter cutoff, external audio in, + + +. To me, the real icing on the cake for the Avalon is the filter carts, which sound amazing!

Avalon is the next step in 303 evolution, where as the RE-303 is a 1 to 1 copy.
nomanslad
for those well versed in the 303, how does the avalon compare to a devilfish ?

looking for a unit with similar modulation possibilities . .
computer controlled
nomanslad wrote:
for those well versed in the 303, how does the avalon compare to a devilfish ?

looking for a unit with similar modulation possibilities . .

Not really the same. The Avalon has a few of the same features, mainly the extra envelopes, but i think that's about it. The DF is far more in depth.
computer controlled
As already stated, the RE-303 is a 1:1 copy of the TB, nothing extra except within the sequencer. They have their own CPU made for the project. The analog voice is exact.

The Avalon is also 1:1, but it goes beyond. But i rarely use those features. The hot swappable filter carts are really nice! Looking fwd to the 4075 filter. The sequencer is a breeze to use, love it. Keep it in write mode and throw it in Random for always differing fills. awesome.
Comboy
shameless selfplug wink

If you use the RE-303 CPU that I've build you get a lot of nice extra sequencer features as well. Playback direction, chaselight, live recording up to 8 chained patterns etc. all there on the RE, too.
anselmi
Comboy wrote:
shameless selfplug wink

If you use the RE-303 CPU that I've build you get a lot of nice extra sequencer features as well. Playback direction, chaselight, live recording up to 8 chained patterns etc. all there on the RE, too.

thanks!
do you have a link to this product?
Comboy
The last 5% and the fully worked out manual are still missing, but I released the CPU yesterday early for all the guys from the RE forum without a CPU so they can finally bring their builds to life.

http://sonic-potions.com/re303

I'll put some demos online over the next days.

My take on the comparison, never having touched an avalon - RE could be directly compared to the TB-303 with a quicksilver upgrade. So if all you're after is to get as close as possible to the original with a more user friendly UI and are not put off by DIY go get the RE

Main benefit of the Avalon seems to me the multiple well incorporated mods that enhance the functionality of the synth- Think TB-303 + devilfish or a maxed out modded xoxbox. And of course you don't have to build it yourself.
phono1337
talking of mods, there will be eventually mods coming from Daan Doeleman (the guy who made the TT style DF mod) which he says will be compatible with both TB/RE

also we carry Comboys cpu at the RE303 shop for one stop convineince
thumbs up
basehead617
Just speaking about the Avalon..The site that compares the sound of all the boxes (I forget what site it is) [edit: found it - Roland TB-303 Clones Comparison] - has an extensive bunch of examples, and with the Avalon I can't really tell the difference between it and the real tb-303.

Pretty remarkable and has to be worth the money for accuracy.

It will be nice to see the RE-303 included in this comparison!
phono1337
basehead617 wrote:
Just speaking about the Avalon..The site that compares the sound of all the boxes (I forget what site it is) [edit: found it - Roland TB-303 Clones Comparison] - has an extensive bunch of examples, and with the Avalon I can't really tell the difference between it and the real tb-303.

Pretty remarkable and has to be worth the money for accuracy.

It will be nice to see the RE-303 included in this comparison!

me too if it was built properly, i cant myself afford to send them a built one
vromr
Has anyone modded a re303 for CV control ?
Did some listening tests on YouTube and I’m not hearing 1:1 on the Avalon. At first, sure, there is resemblance. Then, a chirpy quality emerges. It is less rubbery than a TB303 just like x0xbox.
re303 has the sound but Avalon has the control I’m looking for.
DiscoDevil
vromr wrote:
Did some listening tests on YouTube and I’m not hearing 1:1 on the Avalon. At first, sure, there is resemblance. Then, a chirpy quality emerges. It is less rubbery than a TB303 just like x0xbox.

The Avalon is superior to the 303 in nearly every way measurable. The RE-303 is cool but a real 303 isn't THAT much more these days so if a 303 is what you want, why not just get one?
Panason
Quote:
The RE-303 is cool but a real 303 isn't THAT much more these days so if a 303 is what you want, why not just get one?

TB-303s currently go for around £2k. Must be people trying to pay for rehab... and those that buy them are still hitting the crack pipe.
CosmicFlight
Does anyone knows a good RE-303 builder ?
(Using good & matching components i mean)
vromr
DiscoDevil wrote:
vromr wrote:

The Avalon is superior to the 303 in nearly every way measurable. The RE-303 is cool but a real 303 isn't THAT much more these days so if a 303 is what you want, why not just get one?

Because a real TB303 likewise doesn't have CV control and paying 2x for one - an old who-knows-what-shape-it's-in one - is just robbery if a good-as-original re303 could be mod'ed.

Any Avalon demos that decisively won you over?
anselmi
CosmicFlight wrote:
Does anyone knows a good RE-303 builder ?
(Using good & matching components i mean)

Raph, from Michigan Synth Works

He works very well and have reasonable prices
DiscoDevil
vromr wrote:
Any Avalon demos that decisively won you over?

Not that I can think of. I was able to get my hands on one and knew I needed one within minutes of using it. The SEM filter cart is also a must buy.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1