MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Behringer MiniMoog Clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Behringer MiniMoog Clone
bemushroomed
Thoughts? Guess this fits in general gear too, but since it's eurorack as well it's probably good to have a thread here (i bet many never leave the eurorack forum here, like me).

Doesnt look very interesting when it comes to modulation i guess, like expected. But if it's really just $400 and sounds good i might be really interested anyways.

This is a first draft of our "D" Synth with a proposed feature set below.

Our goal is to design in a Poly Chain feature that allows combining up to 16 synths through Midi.

Depending on the feedback we will then decide if we move further and build a first prototype.

Our targeted retail price is around US$ 400.

Analog Synthesizer with 3 VCOs, 24 dB Ladder Filter, LFO, 16-Voice Poly Chain and Eurorack Format

1. Analog synthesizer with triple VCO design
2. Reproduction of original “D Type” with matched transistors and JFETs
3. 0.1% Thin Film resistors and Polyphenyline Sulphide capacitors for frequency stability
4. Analog signal path based on authentic VCO, VCF and VCA designs
5. 5 variable oscillator shapes with pulse width variation
6. Classic 24 dB ladder filter with resonance
7. Fully analog triangle/square wave LFO
8. Switchable low/high pass filter mode
9. 16-voice Midi Poly Chain allows combining multiple synthesizers for up to 16-voice polyphony
10. Overdrive circuit
11. Noise generator
12. Complete Eurorack solution – main module can be transferred to a standard Eurorack case
13. 46 controls for real-time access of all important parameters
14. External audio input for processing external sound sources
15. Low and high level outputs
16. Comprehensive MIDI implementation with MIDI channel and Voice Priority selection
17. 3-Year Warranty Program

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12492144-post706.html
hawkfuzz
Guessing osc in is pitch
Varthdader
Those waveform selector knobs look to be microscopic if this has Euro height.

Interesting nonetheless.
thevegasnerve
Cool that it's eurorack. Hope it expands the market like the Mother32 and Roland gear appear to have. But I only am interested in supporting Behringer if they make their own designs.
Varthdader
Needs more patching points, no point in being Eurorackable if not.

"Not Moog Model D Mother-8"
oknussen
Varthdader wrote:
Needs more patching points, no point in being Eurorackable if not.

agreed...
strawberry
I'd probably go for it, if it had "that" sound. I would rather see them bring the Moog 5U modular to euro, then i'd be seriously exicted. thumbs up
pieter
Hmm, yes the lack of modulation makes it really anathema to the Eurorack philosophy. Then again, the original model D does not have much in the way of CV inputs either. I think it's better to think of this as a 19" midi rack module than a Eurorack module.
bemushroomed
pieter wrote:
Hmm, yes the lack of modulation makes it really anathema to the Eurorack philosophy.

A-192-1 solves that for most MIDI gear. I modulate my nord drum 2, Analog Four, my Sub 37 and my LXR drum synth using that... 16 MIDI CC's can be modulated.

But yeah, no real need for eurorack format here perhaps, even if its sometimes nice to have everything in one place imo..
DSC
Funny, coming from my perspective, the first thing I see is a wonderful hackable and modify-able device. If you can sell it cheap enough than it becomes a DIY paradise. What might start off as a Model D rip off could take a Frankenstein synth direction with a life all of its own! Dare I say the clone wars are coming?
thaneco
Very interesting! If it sounds close to my minimoog then I'll get it. I love the fact that you can make a polyphonic moog (like the memorymoog) with the poly chain feature.
morphlex
I'm very interested in this since the Moog is a bit out of reach for me. I'm very curious about how it sounds.
loachhat
Well that escalated quickly. I guess with their (cough) 500 engineers...
dumbledog
I really want to see someone poly-chain 16 of these together.
bkbirge
thaneco wrote:
Very interesting! If it sounds close to my minimoog then I'll get it. I love the fact that you can make a polyphonic moog (like the memorymoog) with the poly chain feature.

Looks like workflow would be more like an ob 4 voice, i.e. no memory and you have to dial in each voice manually never quite getting them the same.

They should dump the a440 tuner, the headphones and the midi, and add a whole bunch of patch points. If they want to poly-chain it should be non-midi.
fnordboy
I agree with the sentiment that it needs more patching points. But if the price (and sound of course) is right I am definitely interested in this. A Model-D was forever out of my range until this moment potentially. While it won't be the same thing, with this kind of cost I will take 'close-enough'.
suthnear
For all that there has been an explosion in eurorack modules, cost per HP for eurorack cases hasn't come down that much since doepfer were the only provider. So I have never understood the desire of some people to fill up their cases with large modules that offer little in the way of CV access or generation. But to each their own.
pieter
This looks like 60 or 62 hp, so for $400 this definitely brings the price per hp down! Still, I think it works better as a standalone unit, maybe next to a microbrute.
bemushroomed
Those with complaints or ideas; make your suggestions in the gearslutz thread which Uli participates in.. He bases his products from user feedback.

Also the image is obviously just a 3D render so far (someone commented on the knobs being small).
Varthdader
Hope they make it the same hp as the Mother32 so we could rack them with those metal braces.

Still needs some extra patch points to play nicer with a 32.
nearly ghost
It must have an expander to make it more modular. What's the point making it eurorack-able?
suthnear
pieter wrote:
This looks like 60 or 62 hp, so for $400 this definitely brings the price per hp down! Still, I think it works better as a standalone unit, maybe next to a microbrute.

Price per hp of the case, not the modules...
Varthdader
Something really disruptive would be for Berhingher to get into the Euro case business.
starthief
Varthdader wrote:
Something really disruptive would be for Berhingher to get into the Euro case business.

It's about time somebody started a price war on Euro cases. thumbs up
djhyperspace
Can't wait till someone clones this in 30 years...... I'll wait for that one
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 1 of 18