MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Schippmann New Projects
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Schippmann New Projects
Bobby
From the website:

http://www.schippmann-music.com

CS-8 Series - modular synthesizer for eurorack 3HU/3HE
In the pipeline - what will be next?

a.) ebbe und fluts' enhanced multimodal VCF-1E (different Reso-modes, true 4-stage-phaser and more)
b.) 8-way individually switchable VCA / 4-quadrant multiplier array
c.) 'open loop'-transistor designed multi-slope-output VCF (hefty 4-pole low-pass/high-pass combination)

Personally i'm more interest in hearing more about A & B. A because i do like a phaser and B because i have loads of filters (including Schippmann) already.

Anyone know any details?
paterursus
Any chance this is three descriptions of a single product? He poses the question like it's going to be one of three, but he has demos of the A and C. He also lists this in a single product block on the website. I wonder if this isn't going to be some wild combination of all three.
FatRocky
Bobby wrote:
From the website:

http://www.schippmann-music.com

CS-8 Series - modular synthesizer for eurorack 3HU/3HE
In the pipeline - what will be next?

a.) ebbe und fluts' enhanced multimodal VCF-1E (different Reso-modes, true 4-stage-phaser and more)
b.) 8-way individually switchable VCA / 4-quadrant multiplier array
c.) 'open loop'-transistor designed multi-slope-output VCF (hefty 4-pole low-pass/high-pass combination)

Personally i'm more interest in hearing more about A & B. A because i do like a phaser and B because i have loads of filters (including Schippmann) already.

Anyone know any details?

It;s A an eurorack module?

It;s B something like the 4ms vca matrix?
FatRocky
Please info, specs, im very curious about the vca!
oneiric.tomb
Any details?
Jee
Hi all,
I thought I could use this thread as the "reference thread for Schippmann products"

Have you seen the new projects on Carsten's page?
A lot going on!

INFO: Currently, I work through overall 6 projects:

- a dual saw-core VCO
- a tri-core VCO with phase modulation (as in the Omega-Phi)
- an octal VCA/Ringmodulator
- a dual transient designer (fully VC, high speed/precision, gates (pulse length/delay),
decay-active status-out, hold, 2 colour LED's for each phase, fix & VCA out,...)
- a dual LFO (lots of syncs, sets, starts/stops/shots, VC shape, quadrature sines) -> in progress
- a voltage controlled distortion (4 change-over frequencies, DST2 principle)

one or two of them I'll chose for next production.

It's very exciting isn't it?!
Especially transient designer. (I already have 2 omega phi so not rushing for the VCO's).
The octal VCA seems to be back on track smile
Considered all these new projects finally this VCA seems to fit well :p

There is also a summer sale with discounts on all products up to 25% which is good but...

...I don't want to look like the grumpy guy but I have an odd feeling with Cartsen's pricing policy that is extremely erratic.
For the little story I purchased back in march 17 a big batch of modules (omega phi, 2 filters) for quite a large amount obviously because the mentions "only as stocks last" was everywhere and he never communicated about the remaining stocks which created a "blurry area" around scarcity of his product (at least for me and my eurorack planning). I originally wanted to wait a little more but jumped into the purchase at full price because of this apparrent scarity. I asked for a discount and even if Carsten was clearly reluctant he still offered me 7% discount on my order explaining it was the max he could do. 1 months after: mega sale 25% off all products! :s (I "lost" more than 400€).
Here again, I purchased DST2 full price directly when it was released early april 19 and less than 2 months after: sale 25% off! Really?
I didn't purchase COOK immediatly because it's not a "core module" in my setup and I was also thinking that "we never know, Carsten might do a discount one day...". I almost feel like it's a victory lol.
All in all I feel a bit uncomfortable with this situation even if we could think it's just "no luck" as well. When I asked for discounts on more purchases later on to offset that a bit, it was refused.
I'm not rageous, I love my modules whatever they cost me and I'll keep on extending my Schippmann modular with some of these new releases. And somehow it's a way to support him for his great work. So I have no problem paying my modules full price in full knowledge and acceptance of it. For instance if I know there will be discounts in the future and I have a view on remaining stocks, I look for the discount and take the risk to get empty stocks when I want to purchase or I accept to pay full price to have it now. But I have a problem with the lack of communication, the "organisation of scarcity" and the random discounts that finally I couldn't benefit... (except for my second omega phi but the discount was less than before).
I have seen on his site some time ago a mention of remaining stock which was really good, but it disapearred quickly...

The attitude here lets me think that I'm just a dairy cow and that "good customers" are absolutely not considered nor rewarded for their support.
And it's not as if Schippmann products can sell for thousands of units to the whole world, it's a niche market into an already small market (eurorack), I guess you can't afford to hurt your "core customer" too much....
Moreover a lot of other companies tends to reward the early birds for obvious reasons. Here we only get the right to pay actually more...
I was thinking that Carsten and his customer would benefit a lot from a crowdfunding process like Birdkids did with their Raven.
That would give visibility and secure future sales for Carsten while offering the best price to his most supportive customers + cash in hand for him to launch production. Only benefits.
I think that Carsten had problems in the past and almost collapsed not because of the market that is thriving like never at the moment (despite what he says) but only because of his terrible commercial policy. This is the typical case of brilliant people doing great products but still getting busted because of a very poor management.
He defines himself as an artist which I agree with.
Fine, then get an advisor to run your business smile

So I wanted to have your view on this guys:
- Did anyone had the same "unlucky experience" than I did?
- What do you think of Carsten's pricing policy?
- What do you think of crowdfunding for his products? I mentioned it to him by email but he didn't seem interested (and I really don't understand that because he still seem to have issues selling his stocks!!).

cheers and sorry for long email.
Multi Grooves
I totally understand why you feel somewhat let down. It's the kind of thing that'd irritate the hell out of me. I do think there is a loose cannon aspect to his outlook on things. At this stage the best advice :

Caveat emptor

seriously, i just don't get it
damase
wow lots of new stuff coming. how am i to fit everything?! i hope at least a couple of these designs are a bit more space concious. Dual LFO really excites me

i get what you are saying, but also consider...
to get upset over someone offering discounts...(youre not upset though i know wink)
and what if the stock DID run out when it was scarce, and you would not have your schippmann modules at all (like cwejman...)? it would be a completely different level of hype/price, then you might have a different outlook and that fomo from not paying the original asking price smile

i do agree an early bird discount would really attract more people to foot the bill ahead of time, and also reward those for being dependable supporters. id be tempted to make some cash appear. Although this goes down the path of the hype creating a scarcity for the first few years if a module is popular, being only available to those who have the money to purchase immediately when a module is announced, and this bothers me too.

crowdfunding is a different ballgame too... maybe he doesnt want the pressure of accepting tens of thousands of dollars before product is ready? seems reasonable to me
Sanys
- a dual LFO (lots of syncs, sets, starts/stops/shots, VC shape, quadrature sines) -> in progress

would like to know of it
spacenoodle
I've seen prices get slashed on stuff after I've already purchased it, sometimes rather immensely. It hurts. And on some rare stuff the value accrues. It's always going to be a gamble to some extent the purchasing decisions we make, especially pre-ordering. But beyond buying something that doesn't fit the description, has bad workmanship, or never arrives, I take responsibility. Asking for discounts on modules...never tried that!
monads
Interested in both the LFO and Transient Designer (Dual EG) modules.

Regarding the prices yeah it happened to me with an Omega Phi-II! I purchased one at regular price then the sale came around. But I wanted another so saved the 2nd time around. From what I've seen he normally has summer sales so keep this mind and I don't think the info is blasted out so you have to check the site. I feel your pain about the timing though. I guess when the next batch of new Schippmann stuff comes out and I like I'll wait for next year's summer's sale lol
oneiric.tomb
If the lfo is like a d-lfo meets ph-8 then it's the dream analog lfo that ive always wanted
Sanys
spill the beans, Carsten hyper
damase
interested in more info also, especially HP required for a reserve hole
Jaypee
A friend of mine paid his omega phi 1200€.

I paid mine 1000.

And another friend paid 800 (summer sells)

I'm furious to my friend, not Carsten LOL
t0nmontana
Eh, I'm not sure I can really find fault in his business practices. He's running a small operation, and just doing what he can to keep the business afloat. It does seem like this is his side gig and not full time job. I will point out, even paying full price through his website is generally still cheaper than buying from his retail partners.

I have always been a bit surprised his modules aren't more sought after though. They're some of the highest quality modules I own, and right up there with the level of quality one would expect from Cwejman. But as we know, cwejman modules on the after market go for crazy prices, while Carsten is still trying to sell through his stock of the stereo diode filters (which are amazing btw).

Either way, pretty sure he always does a summer sale as well as holiday/Christmas time sale. I do think an early bird/crowd funding situation could be a good move for future product releases. Perhaps once the product range becomes more fully realized with the VCA/Transient Designer/LFO/etc people will finally start to give his stuff the respect and demand it deserves.
oneiric.tomb
TBH the ring mod array is genius when thought of in context of a Schippmann system.
MvK
reading this got me very excited. I love Schippmann's modules as I love Cwejman's. After 2 Years of searching I found a good deal for the dual phaser and I'll never let it go! it's a real monster. But the Omega Phi I had to let go because it was too big and complex for live use and I try to constrain myself by only using Modules that I want to use on stage. The Phaser on the other hand has thousands of use-cases in a live situation also with external signals. Reading now that there might be a simpler Version of the omega phi is great because I was really sad to sell it. Here are my thoughts about the possible projects:

-(2) a tri-core VCO with phase modulation (as in the Omega-Phi, lots of syncs, set, start/stop)

maybe a smaller more simple omega phi?

-(4) a dual transient designer (fully VC, high speed/precision, lots of features)

looks like a huge module, maybe consider a smaller single version because that might be more interesting for small to middle-sized systems already containing envelopes.

-(5) a dual LFO (lots of syncs, value-set, start/stop/shots, VC shape, quadrature sines) -> on stand-by

I'm definitely in for a dual LFO. I'd love to have simultaneous outputs of different shapes. At least a dedicated Square out. And some way to modulate the PW of that Square. Setting of startphase is essential. Maybe the word Value-set points to that.
t0nmontana
MvK wrote:

-(2) a tri-core VCO with phase modulation (as in the Omega-Phi, lots of syncs, set, start/stop)

-(4) a dual transient designer (fully VC, high speed/precision, lots of features)

looks like a huge module, maybe consider a smaller single version because that might be more interesting for small to middle-sized systems already containing envelopes.

I gotta be honest - smaller and simpler seems to be in direct conflict with what makes Schippmann modules great. They're fully featured and of the highest quality and don't sacrifice either of those things for the sake of compactness. There's a never ending amount of other module makers sacrificing quality and functionality to make the smallest modules. Please let this one boutique company continue to do what they do best ;-).
Jaypee
[s]When I think about Schipmann and Cwejman, I think about the best-est design. And Except no compromises! thumbs up

MvK, sorry you had to sold your Opega Phi. Will never sell mine. Actually thinking adding 1 or 2. Can't stop thinking[/s] making chords with FM/PM possibilities. Dead Banana
Alexander Kuznetsov
It's all great, but ... how to contact Mr. Schippmann? There is no email address on his site. I tried to contact him through this site a couple of times but received no answer.
MvK
t0nmontana wrote:

I gotta be honest - smaller and simpler seems to be in direct conflict with what makes Schippmann modules great. They're fully featured and of the highest quality and don't sacrifice either of those things for the sake of compactness. There's a never ending amount of other module makers sacrificing quality and functionality to make the smallest modules. Please let this one boutique company continue to do what they do best ;-).

Yes on the one hand that's very true, but I'd rather have this one boutique company produce 1-2 "workhorse" modules (in terms of financial income) than constantly seeing it at the brink of shut-down. The impression I have from some threads here and in the german sequencer.de forum is that is has always been a struggle to keep up the business, along with decisions that might have put off potential customers, like introducing a mk2 shortly after the mk1. This might have made a lot of sense from the engineering point of view but for PR not so much. I might be wrong, and far be it from me to criticize anything, I'm a happy customer of the phaser and will stay that way until one of us dies :-) but that got me thinking about some simpler modules, in the case of the envelope a fully featured but single version, with the same attention to quality.
damase
t0nmontana wrote:
MvK wrote:

Well said. Not only does he never sacrifice features, but he brings new abilities out of familiar designs that give his instruments a special bump

That said, i think small modules conceptually have a place within a complete modular system, they allow more options for reconfigurability and rack space efficiency.

A dual TG i think though offers a lot more than a single, from patch programability, its just a tried and true idea that works perfect in the modular realm. The VCO, seems like a succinct ‘workhorse’ module that he could potentially sell a lot of... no tzfm so its not an omega phi replacement, but as a buddy osc and just a super good sounding (easily obtainable) oscillator i hope it does really well. The Dual LFO also, special modulation sources are always a hit in my mind
Alexander Kuznetsov
Nobody knows how to contact Schippmann? seriously, i just don't get it
monads
^incoming pm! it's on the site but i don't think translated correctly and/or to avoid spamming.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3