Schippmann New Projects

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Alexander Kuznetsov
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Alexander Kuznetsov » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:38 am

monads
Thank you!!!

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:54 pm

^Sure thing no problem!!!

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:23 am

picked up dst2 a few weeks ago
love it so much. ive been using it on just about everything. the range is fantastic, it has many different kinds of sweet spot... great for subtle lifting/glue saturation, harmonic distortion to beef up a bass sound into the proper frequencies, beautiful tasteful distortions, and overall destruction. instantly secret weapon module

excited for the upcoming VC distortion. i think part of why the dst2 is so nice is a very finely tuned crossover frequency (113) and slopes about it, this frequency seems to be able to provide a great overall sound for most material. however having 4 options for crossover on one of those rotary knobs will really allow you to dial it in perfectly for the mix situation

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:52 am

any updates here?
the website shows nothing anymore of the new stuff...
especially could use more hints of HP size so i can plan accordingly

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:16 pm

yeah no news bad news? :s
I don't like he removed the new modules info.

New MASSIVE SALE -35%
So much for my hurt wallet, I purchased a second VCF1 and DST2 just a few weeks ago :)
:omg:
I still wait for the new modules, I was expecting more details like hp size and else but seeing how it turns it looks like we can wait a little more (or not...?).

Also happy to see that the thread is actually useful and I was not the only one to suffer the price randomness.
Still, as said I like his technical approach and what he does and yeah, in 10 years I'll still be happy to play his instruments so whatever the lost euros, i'm not buying to resale but to secure this pleasure :)

That being said I need your advices guys.
My Schippmann setup that was supposed to be minimal (only VCF1/2 originally) turned into a rather big (and awfully expensive) 2 voices Schippmann synth already. Which does crazy good things. No words!
2 TG in addition would wrap it -and I expect TG to be expensive.
I'll be cheating for the VCA from another brand.

Still, I thought that I could consider 4 full voices actually with the upcoming modules and to make best use of this VCA eventually but well... these prices swing kind of drenched me, still.
Maybe I'll stick to 2 voices finally.... I don't know.
I'm not sure about the 4 voices because it could also be too tedious to setup... nothing 'integrated for polyphony" here, old school patching of everything.
What do you think?

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:57 am

nice find on the sale, i can only hope he is clearing old stock to help fund the new :)

my opinion for your question id say stick it to 2 voices max per 1 of the Vca array. even 1 voice could make use of the entire thing very easily

tryed to wrap my brain around how to patch it, does anyone know if there would be a way to use the 8x VCA array as a VC Panner? seems like there would be some way...

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:10 am

I'd take advantage of the sale and grab at least another voice! You may not be setup for polyphony now but you'll get there.

I'm sure the mention of new product was removed as options are narrowed down or reconsidered.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:38 am

Confused about Schipp's sale prices - are the prices listed on the site currently pre or post discount?

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:23 pm

it's the price AFTER discount (regular price VCF1 for ex is 800€)

Interesting view about the 2 voices thanks guys. I'll see what comes out and how my finances go in the coming months :)

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:27 pm

monads wrote:I'd take advantage of the sale and grab at least another voice! You may not be setup for polyphony now but you'll get there.

I'm sure the mention of new product was removed as options are narrowed down or reconsidered.
You mean you would get a 3rd voice "only"? Like an in-between solution taking best advantage of the current sale?
That's an idea thanks man.... I'll consider it and see how it can turn in my racks.

Originally my idea was 2 voice made of 2 omega phi, 2 vcf1 and 2 VCA's.
Voices 3 and 4 would be the dual osc (not released yet) and these 2 voices would be paraphonic going to VCF2 and another VCA...
A bit more flexible than "only" 3 voices but less exciting than 3 omega phi^^

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:31 pm

I dream about chords made with 3 omega phi.
Can't even imagine fm and pm possibilities :hail:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm

yeah that's the idea.
2 notes chords are kind of boring so the 3rd (and 4th) voices make a huge difference for a relatively low price.
And if I want to do real poly it's another vcf1 I need and I'll have a "spare" vcf2.
But could also work with vcf2 I guess.
Raaaa!!
How people select their modules with more than 1 brand to consider, this passion is a nightmare :goo: :mrgreen:

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:46 pm

damase wrote:tryed to wrap my brain around how to patch it, does anyone know if there would be a way to use the 8x VCA array as a VC Panner? seems like there would be some way...
definitely. One VCA per side L/R fed by teh same mono signal and CV processed in an opposite and equal way should make it.
Mix a manual CV potentiometer with an LFO itself fed to a vca to dose the LFO.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:01 pm

Jee wrote:yeah that's the idea.
2 notes chords are kind of boring so the 3rd (and 4th) voices make a huge difference for a relatively low price.
And if I want to do real poly it's another vcf1 I need and I'll have a "spare" vcf2.
Raaaa!!
How people select their modules with more than 1 brand to consider, this passion is a nightmare :goo: :mrgreen:
Considering the price for 3 or 4 Omega Phi though...I think I will just buy a modern poly (OB-6 I think).

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:17 pm

I considered that and discarded it because I don't have the physical space and I still prefer to be 100% free. Most of my use goes toward deep sound design so I need to be able to patch weird and experimental stuff, which isn't the strongest part of these synths usually.
They deliver impressively in poly but are not so much meant for deep tweaking.
And Schippmann sound... I just love it too much. It just sound better than others to me, I found my sound and I have no doubt about that after 2 years of use.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:22 pm

I might go for desktop version. But yes, I understand, and still hesitating about which route I go...!

monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by monads » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:23 am

Jee wrote:yeah that's the idea.
Raaaa!!
That's why I mentioned go for a 3rd so you least have the option to make triad chords if you wanted. Also more options for counterpoint composition if you wished. Of course you could just get a simpler oscillator in the meantime too. And wait for next summer's sale presumably.

The multiple brands is a blessing and curse, and sometimes difficult to build a system around an exclusive brand because of limited product line and/or availability.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:19 am

keep in mind you can use the schippmann filters as oscillators with great tracking also to fill in notes of a chord or FM the omegas. on the vcf1e the phaser modes (i thnk its bp18/6 or bp6/18) ping really nicely.

ive never been into trying to patch full polyphonic subtractive voices in modular so my view is that this type of polyphony comes with limitations that lead you to new places.

that said if you do end up with a polyphonic omega phi patch with some chord progressions i would LOVE to hear it. when using omega phi this way are you doing any TZFM?

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:43 am

My take on this : With X doepfer 110-4.

3 omega phi would recquiere 3 110-4.

Patching would be real time consuming but I'm dying to hear it.

Carsten, are you there?

:love:

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:30 pm

many ideas crossed my mind already to patch a omega phi in poly, knowing we can get a super fat beating with a single osc..
Using them in poly offers so many possibilities it's insane.
At the moment i use the midi/cv from the 0-coast, mono... :/
Waiting for release of polyend Poly2.
And I'm thinking that my choice is 3 voices of omega phi or 4 "potential" voices using the dual osc that Carsten listed at some point.
I have a thing for the 4 voices, sort of combination of 2 voices with TZFM/PM and 2 more classical voice but sounding all the same when used "raw".
But 3 voices still, my dream that is 20 years can come true in a very short time. Very tempting with the sale...
It's a headache. :)

@damase: yes I use them as osc regularly, very useful. They are a little (very little) more dodgy to tune but it remains easy and they track better than some dedicated oscillators in the market...
Lately I compared it to the LYRA-4 VCO's and it's hilarious the difference :lol: :lol:

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am

OK the 3rd Omega Phi and DST2 just arrived... 3 voices it is.
What can I do with such a discount? :despair:

PS: Carsten didn't want to share anything about new releases... :despair:

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Jee...zzzz!!!

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:55 pm

Pics or it didn't happen :mrgreen:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Jee wrote:OK the 3rd Omega Phi and DST2 just arrived... 3 voices it is.
What can I do with such a discount? :despair:

PS: Carsten didn't want to share anything about new releases... :despair:
damn, i must say im desperate for info haha
really wanting to replace my non schippmann vcos with some the new

congrats on your 3rd voice.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:06 am

They are in the rack.
But still missing some crucial elements like the poly MIDI interface, VCA's and some envelopes/LFO's before we can call it a real poly TZFM/PM modular...
The baby has to grow now.
But the nice thing is that the left rack is a full small dual voice already.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”