Schippmann New Projects

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:52 pm

Hi all, does someone have any news from Carsten?
I tried to contact him to ask about the new modules he announced some time ago (and removed from his website since then) and Ingot no answer.
He generally replies...
So this + the massive sale let me think that he’s finally really closing business... or not...
a bit scary / unclear what will happen...

ratch
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ratch » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:15 pm

We can only hope for the best! His new designs were sounding quite amazing -- although I have a feeling they won't be happening very soon.

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:26 pm

Same here despite the fact that Carsten told me a couple of month ago maximum that the big work is already done (at least for the TG) and he was more in fine tuning stage...
So the delay looks like a commercial one rather than technical issue / production delays...
I am also keeping fingers crossed...
Give us the TG and LFO Carsten please!

Severed head
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Severed head » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Jee wrote:Hi all,
I thought I could use this thread as the "reference thread for Schippmann products"

Have you seen the new projects on Carsten's page?
A lot going on!

INFO: Currently, I work through overall 6 projects:

- a dual saw-core VCO
- a tri-core VCO with phase modulation (as in the Omega-Phi)
- an octal VCA/Ringmodulator
- a dual transient designer (fully VC, high speed/precision, gates (pulse length/delay),
decay-active status-out, hold, 2 colour LED's for each phase, fix & VCA out,...)
- a dual LFO (lots of syncs, sets, starts/stops/shots, VC shape, quadrature sines) -> in progress
- a voltage controlled distortion (4 change-over frequencies, DST2 principle)

one or two of them I'll chose for next production.

It's very exciting isn't it?!
Especially transient designer. (I already have 2 omega phi so not rushing for the VCO's).
The octal VCA seems to be back on track :)
Considered all these new projects finally this VCA seems to fit well :p

There is also a summer sale with discounts on all products up to 25% which is good but...

...I don't want to look like the grumpy guy but I have an odd feeling with Cartsen's pricing policy that is extremely erratic.
For the little story I purchased back in march 17 a big batch of modules (omega phi, 2 filters) for quite a large amount obviously because the mentions "only as stocks last" was everywhere and he never communicated about the remaining stocks which created a "blurry area" around scarcity of his product (at least for me and my eurorack planning). I originally wanted to wait a little more but jumped into the purchase at full price because of this apparrent scarity. I asked for a discount and even if Carsten was clearly reluctant he still offered me 7% discount on my order explaining it was the max he could do. 1 months after: mega sale 25% off all products! :s (I "lost" more than 400€).
Here again, I purchased DST2 full price directly when it was released early april 19 and less than 2 months after: sale 25% off! Really?
I didn't purchase COOK immediatly because it's not a "core module" in my setup and I was also thinking that "we never know, Carsten might do a discount one day...". I almost feel like it's a victory lol.
All in all I feel a bit uncomfortable with this situation even if we could think it's just "no luck" as well. When I asked for discounts on more purchases later on to offset that a bit, it was refused.
I'm not rageous, I love my modules whatever they cost me and I'll keep on extending my Schippmann modular with some of these new releases. And somehow it's a way to support him for his great work. So I have no problem paying my modules full price in full knowledge and acceptance of it. For instance if I know there will be discounts in the future and I have a view on remaining stocks, I look for the discount and take the risk to get empty stocks when I want to purchase or I accept to pay full price to have it now. But I have a problem with the lack of communication, the "organisation of scarcity" and the random discounts that finally I couldn't benefit... (except for my second omega phi but the discount was less than before).
I have seen on his site some time ago a mention of remaining stock which was really good, but it disapearred quickly...

The attitude here lets me think that I'm just a dairy cow and that "good customers" are absolutely not considered nor rewarded for their support.
And it's not as if Schippmann products can sell for thousands of units to the whole world, it's a niche market into an already small market (eurorack), I guess you can't afford to hurt your "core customer" too much....
Moreover a lot of other companies tends to reward the early birds for obvious reasons. Here we only get the right to pay actually more...
I was thinking that Carsten and his customer would benefit a lot from a crowdfunding process like Birdkids did with their Raven.
That would give visibility and secure future sales for Carsten while offering the best price to his most supportive customers + cash in hand for him to launch production. Only benefits.
I think that Carsten had problems in the past and almost collapsed not because of the market that is thriving like never at the moment (despite what he says) but only because of his terrible commercial policy. This is the typical case of brilliant people doing great products but still getting busted because of a very poor management.
He defines himself as an artist which I agree with.
Fine, then get an advisor to run your business :)

So I wanted to have your view on this guys:
- Did anyone had the same "unlucky experience" than I did?
- What do you think of Carsten's pricing policy?
- What do you think of crowdfunding for his products? I mentioned it to him by email but he didn't seem interested (and I really don't understand that because he still seem to have issues selling his stocks!!).

cheers and sorry for long email.

Not to be a D!(k cuz
I’d be bummed to it’s happened to me a number of times. And have been. But
This is kinda whiny, your upset/complaining about a sell 2 months after your purchase, so many things can change in 2 months.
the modules are expensive but if I understand correctly you bought 3 modules. That’s not a large order. That’s just putting things in one box.
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:36 pm

id love some updates as well especially for the forementioned TG and LFO

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 am

Lol severed head : yes a tiny bit of disappointment rather than whining especially when it comes to large orders. I have more than 6k of schippmann module and lost close to 700€ compared to « best price » so that’s not 0.
Happy for you that it’s just « putting things in the box » and you can afford these overspends but on my side I do music with them, not just a collection of modular pron and I have put a very substantial part of my savings in these modules so yeah, that pissed me off.
And please read: disappointed / surprised but still happy with my module and still supporting Carsten.
So thanks for your useless input, that’s good to see my whining is closely followed by your grumpy and pointless message, we make a nice pair!
Cheers

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 am

Carsten's a don. Buy more products guys.

Jaypee
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:22 am

If one of you guys can do a pinging demo in phaser mode with the vcf 1, I'd be happy... to buy one.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 am

Honestly the phaser mode of vcf1 is cool but not mind blowing.
I’ll see if I can do that for you this week end.

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 am

Jaypee wrote:If one of you guys can do a pinging demo in phaser mode with the vcf 1, I'd be happy... to buy one.
http://soundcloud.com/damasemusic/1eping-melody

Im not a ping filter expert my any means but here you go...
Modular was 2 track 1 pass recording, no EQ or mastering of any kind... little bit of reverb added.

if i remember correctly, gates were from omega phi Phi side suboctave, modulating the phase, and i was manually adjusting the vcf1e input gain as it builds up, which has a cool effect for dialing in your pings and how hard they hit

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:24 pm

for pinging the phs-28 is incredible. also when the trigger going into the audioIn get faster repeats into audiorange.
We are the Borg. Resistance is equal to voltage divided by current.
https://soundcloud.com/logic_not
current 9U: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/428567
Skiff: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/818039

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi guys, I received a Poly2 interface so I'm starting to play with my Schippmann synth in polyphony :)
Duophonic patch to start easy:
2x Omega-Phi / VCF1E / DST2 / VCA / Delay (DLD).
I crossmuodulated the 2 voices for more chaos :p
Crossmod and filters cutoff controlled with Touché.
Simple but yet truely amazing what I get from only 2 voices... :hail:
I'll bring the 3rd voice in soon!

https://soundcloud.com/user-793769115/e ... -duophonic

https://soundcloud.com/user-793769115/e ... -duophonic

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:33 pm

those schippman voices layered do sounds quite nice. the precision of the ophi works very well in poly. i still love the immediacy of my polysynth but it does not have the power of these voices thats for sure

lately im been loving the clipping effect when over-modulating the phase. gettin some insane blade runner wallace growls. could be cool as a chord with your modulation multed to each phase input

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:38 pm

Jee wrote:Honestly the phaser mode of vcf1 is cool but not mind blowing.
I’ll see if I can do that for you this week end.
counterpoint, i love the phase mode... but i dont really think of it as a phaser, i do think of it as just a resonant filter with phasey character qualities... but the resonance in this mode is so so sweet to my ears

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:02 am

sale is over...
glad to see some activity :) i take that as a good sign

Jee
Common Wiggler

Post by Jee » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Me too!
Fingers crossed something happens soon (but not a bankruptcy pls)

ishi
Common Wiggler

Post by ishi » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:12 pm

From the Schippmann website:

"Announcement:
After long considerations and arduously to and fro we came to the decision
to cease the development and the production of Eurorack modules.
To all our fans and always faithful customers we have to say: Sorry - It was a hard procedure to come to this discernment."

Bobby
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bobby » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:17 am

Thread about it here: viewtopic.php?t=224609

(So it doesn't look like no one cares)

ishi
Common Wiggler

Post by ishi » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Ah, thanks. I missed that one. Did a search before posting, but.. well you know.

oneiric.tomb
Common Wiggler

Post by oneiric.tomb » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:21 am

Not sure if everyone here saw the other thread, but check the schippmann site, he is considering a final small run of the new modules if we can show a strong enough interest/ commitment. Maybe we should even start a poll thread
FS:
L-1 Stereo Compressor

WTB:
Modcan Dual Frequency Shifter,
Mungo p0
Schippmann Omega Phi mk2
Cyndustries Zeroscillator (euro)
KYMA PACA // PACARANA
Cwejman PH-8

Return to “Eurorack Modules”