MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

nonlinearcircuits 2017 modules (bindubba & covfefe added
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author nonlinearcircuits 2017 modules (bindubba & covfefe added
andrewF
May as well stick them in one thread.
Got a few more on the way, but seem to spend most of my time building these days.
Anyway.

This is the eurorack version of the bindubba3 sequencer, it has 6 inputs to control the stepping. Two clock inputs control the count in horizontal and vertical directions. The two jump inputs send the next step somewhere else that depends on the 2^2 and 2^3 counts of the chips of both step directions......ie somewhat uncontrollable but it enables more complex patterns to be created. The two direction inputs change the direction of the count.

There are two voltage controlled slewed outputs, two CV outputs giving the same CV, 1 inverted CV output and 16 gate outputs.

PCB = USD28
28HP panel = USD32
assembled = USD320

COVFEFE BUSS PCB is designed for use with the small PSU board.
It has 10 connectors, space for decoupling caps, LEDs, 8 mounting holes and spade mounts. It has connections at both ends so that it can be daisy chained. The PCB is 2mm thick to reduce flex when plugging/unplugging.

Primal Hyperchaos is based on a paper by C Li, et al. It can be built to run at different speeds simply by installing different capacitors. Very easy build, no special components needed.
There are 5 different CV outputs and 1 gate output. The CV IN is associated with the CLIMAX pot which determines how high the peaks go. The module can be greatly influenced by the CV in signal and can exhibit some fairly nutty responses at times.
Build Guide

PCB - USD18
panel - USD20

ARSEq ( = Attack Release SEquencer) is, as the name implies, a hybrid sequencer and AR envelope generator. It contains a counter circuit with reset, 4 envelope generators and a mixer/inverter stage to get the sequenced output. The envelopes can be inverted if desired to give a greater voltage and complexity range of the output sequence. The individual 4 envelopes are available on the panel as well.
The main difference with this circuit and a regular EG is each envelope requires 2 clock pulses, one to start the attack and the next to start the release stage.
Yes the pots on the panel are a bit tight at 10HP, I should have made it wider, maybe I will one day?

Build guide & BOM

panel template

Divine CMOS can be used as a CV pattern generator with slew, frequency divider, gate pattern generator, envelope follower and a ring modulator that provides sub-harmonics that can be mixed together to create new sounds.
PCB - USD18
Panel - USD20

Build guide
panel template

A Plague of Demons is a thru-0 VCO.
PCB set - USD26
panel - USD24
panel template
Build guide & BOM

Null-A2 is an all-in-one analogue synth packed into 42HP.
PCB set (2) - USD50
Panel - USD50

Null-A build guide & BOM

It contains:
2 VCOs
1 state variable VCF
1 ladder VCF
1 VC Delay
3 VCAs
2 LFOs
Mixer
Headphone amp
Sequencer
Clock Divider
Sample & Hold (S&H)
Sloth chaos generator
There is a a lot of pre-patching between the jack switches, these will be described in the build manual/user guide.

4HP Envelope Follower
This Envelope Follower PCB was developed for use in the cellF synth, it is based on the design in the Buchla Easel. Obviously it has a few changes; a gain pot rather than a hi/lo switch and a gate output. It is a wonderfully sensitive and expressive EF, that works nicely with regular microphones and guitars.
The 1/4" jack connects to the switch of the 3.5mm input jack, the outputs are pre-amp (20x gain), envelope and gate. The LED indicates when the gate is on.
note: the panel shown in pics is just a proto-type.

PCB - USD8
Panels - USD20

ablearcher
hahaha,yes! i kept seeing the 2016 thread pop up again and thought "where is the NLC 2017 thread?????" hyper

friggin love your modules.
williamcarthief
Null A2 looks way cool! Question barrage:

What's the tracking like on the VCOs? How many octaves? Tri-core? Do they go down to LFO range? Can you tell some more about the VCFs? The VCAs? Build docs available yet? What is that vactrol doing in there? That S&H/LFO/Sloth business sounds awesome, have you considered making that business a stand alone module?
thelizard
Ha! I was just working on a Numberwang, Router, Brain Custard (CV), and a second Sloths.

Quick question on the Router build: Does the mod eliminate any original functionality, or does it only add functionality?
andrewF
thelizard wrote:
Ha! I was just working on a Numberwang, Router, Brain Custard (CV), and a second Sloths.

Quick question on the Router build: Does the mod eliminate any original functionality, or does it only add functionality?

Adds w00t
andrewF
williamcarthief wrote:
Null A2 looks way cool! Question barrage:

What's the tracking like on the VCOs? How many octaves? Tri-core? Do they go down to LFO range? Can you tell some more about the VCFs? The VCAs? Build docs available yet? What is that vactrol doing in there? That S&H/LFO/Sloth business sounds awesome, have you considered making that business a stand alone module?

There is some recycling going on:
The VCO are same as the NLC dual OTA VCOs, about 3 octaves of good tracking, range from approx 12Hz to 12kHz.
State VCF is based on the NLC Serious Filter (which in turn is based on the Arp 4023).
Ladder is something like the Moog Taurus, but VCA on the front end and a few changes in the Cv control section.

VCAs are the same as in the Cluster Matrix Mixer, they are simple and work very well with CV and audio.

BOM and build docs are just being checked over by n0rd, he is very good at such things. Should be ready tomorrow. edit - Ready, see 1st post

Vactrol is for controlling the VC delay

Yes the S&H/LFO/Sloth works in there really nicely, especially as whatever it spits out is related to whatever the other CV sources are doing. It would make a fun standalone module....maybe, my to-do-in-2017 list is getting a bit ridiculous.
trip
Dead Banana

Standalone nulla2 would be amazing.
andrewF
williamcarthief wrote:
Build docs available yet?

NULL-A build guide
andrewF
trip wrote:
Dead Banana

Standalone nulla2 would be amazing.

That is the idea.
It was developed for Murdoch University to use in their Sound technology course. They bought an earlier version and feedback from that resulted in this design, hence the more normal modules like ADSR, VCA, S&H plus two types of VCF.

Hopefully nathanxl will design a small 42HP case to suit it and share the design along with his other lasercut cases.
fx0
wow, that looks very nice!
do you have a suggestion for what to use to power a standalone null2a?
andrewF
I use these NLC WAMod PSU which run off a 12VAC wallwart, but will probably develop a similar but smaller version to suit the null-A.
geecen
These look awesome
GryphonP3
Man! 2017 is no joke! I just ordered that big batch from you too.. maybe it is already time for another one!
br1qbat
Damn, I really need to get smd under my belt! Excellent stuff as usual Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
TripJ
Beautiful SMD layout. Makes me want to heat the iron.
J3RK
Nice Andrew! thumbs up
ym2612
Where can I find those lovely knobs I see on the Null-A2 (and FK1T)?
andrewF
ym2612 wrote:
Where can I find those lovely knobs I see on the Null-A2 (and FK1T)?

I get them from the manufacturer: Chia Shin - CP-ER5-6-W56 - probably a 1000 piece minimum buy
Never seen them in shops.
marto
very tempting. Is the design for the faceplate available should I want to alter it a little and make my own?
andrewF
marto wrote:
very tempting. Is the design for the faceplate available should I want to alter it a little and make my own?

Yes it is up, please do make your own.......and show some pics.
andrewF
Panels for Null-A and Envelope Follower are now in stock w00t

Morphology
Wow, those gold plated panels are beautiful!

Are they aluminimium PCBs with a gold-plated copper layer as the legend?

White solder mask?
andrewF
Morphology wrote:
Wow, those gold plated panels are beautiful!

Are they aluminimium PCBs with a gold-plated copper layer as the legend?

White solder mask?

Thanks - they have come out very nicely.
The 1st batch was aluminium but nearly all of them arrived scratched so the current batch are 2mm PCB. Yes ENIG (gold) lettering and white soldermask.
Morphology
Nice! It's definitely the way forward for reasonably priced custom / short run panels, and sure beats the likes of Front Panel Express / Schaeffer on both price and design flexibility.

The only downside, as I see it, is that the Solder Masks tend to be limited to a small number of fairly primary colours (Black, White, Red, Green, Blue).

The aluminium ones I've had made (by PCB Way) haven't come back scratched, though have arrived in various differing shades of grey / white.

I also got one batch back to which they'd added a (tiny) serial number, because I'd forgotten to specifically tell them not to.

Still, I'm not complaining, when I can get 20 made for less than the price of 1 from FPE.

I've not tried gold plating yet, but will definitely give it a go in the future.

Morph
masterofstuff124
wow. just wow. what an amazing all in one solution. This is a perfect build for the beginners in the synthdiy world. so confusing when getting started "what collection of modules do i need?"

I am planning on building it standalone for couch jams and portability.

whats the power draw?

also if any are still available id prefer the aluminum Panel as its slightly more robust for my new portable.

also my first NLC module!!!

Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana nanners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 1 of 9