MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

nonlinearcircuits 2017 modules (bindubba & covfefe added
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author nonlinearcircuits 2017 modules (bindubba & covfefe added
andrewF
May as well stick them in one thread.
Got a few more on the way, but seem to spend most of my time building these days.
Anyway.

This is the eurorack version of the bindubba3 sequencer, it has 6 inputs to control the stepping. Two clock inputs control the count in horizontal and vertical directions. The two jump inputs send the next step somewhere else that depends on the 2^2 and 2^3 counts of the chips of both step directions......ie somewhat uncontrollable but it enables more complex patterns to be created. The two direction inputs change the direction of the count.

There are two voltage controlled slewed outputs, two CV outputs giving the same CV, 1 inverted CV output and 16 gate outputs.

PCB = USD28
28HP panel = USD32
assembled = USD320

COVFEFE BUSS PCB is designed for use with the small PSU board.
It has 10 connectors, space for decoupling caps, LEDs, 8 mounting holes and spade mounts. It has connections at both ends so that it can be daisy chained. The PCB is 2mm thick to reduce flex when plugging/unplugging.

Primal Hyperchaos is based on a paper by C Li, et al. It can be built to run at different speeds simply by installing different capacitors. Very easy build, no special components needed.
There are 5 different CV outputs and 1 gate output. The CV IN is associated with the CLIMAX pot which determines how high the peaks go. The module can be greatly influenced by the CV in signal and can exhibit some fairly nutty responses at times.
Build Guide

PCB - USD18
panel - USD20

ARSEq ( = Attack Release SEquencer) is, as the name implies, a hybrid sequencer and AR envelope generator. It contains a counter circuit with reset, 4 envelope generators and a mixer/inverter stage to get the sequenced output. The envelopes can be inverted if desired to give a greater voltage and complexity range of the output sequence. The individual 4 envelopes are available on the panel as well.
The main difference with this circuit and a regular EG is each envelope requires 2 clock pulses, one to start the attack and the next to start the release stage.
Yes the pots on the panel are a bit tight at 10HP, I should have made it wider, maybe I will one day?

Build guide & BOM

panel template

Divine CMOS can be used as a CV pattern generator with slew, frequency divider, gate pattern generator, envelope follower and a ring modulator that provides sub-harmonics that can be mixed together to create new sounds.
PCB - USD18
Panel - USD20

Build guide
panel template

A Plague of Demons is a thru-0 VCO.
PCB set - USD26
panel - USD24
panel template
Build guide & BOM

Null-A2 is an all-in-one analogue synth packed into 42HP.
PCB set (2) - USD50
Panel - USD50

Null-A build guide & BOM

It contains:
2 VCOs
1 state variable VCF
1 ladder VCF
1 VC Delay
3 VCAs
2 LFOs
Mixer
Headphone amp
Sequencer
Clock Divider
Sample & Hold (S&H)
Sloth chaos generator
There is a a lot of pre-patching between the jack switches, these will be described in the build manual/user guide.

4HP Envelope Follower
This Envelope Follower PCB was developed for use in the cellF synth, it is based on the design in the Buchla Easel. Obviously it has a few changes; a gain pot rather than a hi/lo switch and a gate output. It is a wonderfully sensitive and expressive EF, that works nicely with regular microphones and guitars.
The 1/4" jack connects to the switch of the 3.5mm input jack, the outputs are pre-amp (20x gain), envelope and gate. The LED indicates when the gate is on.
note: the panel shown in pics is just a proto-type.

PCB - USD8
Panels - USD20

ablearcher
hahaha,yes! i kept seeing the 2016 thread pop up again and thought "where is the NLC 2017 thread?????" hyper

friggin love your modules.
williamcarthief
Null A2 looks way cool! Question barrage:

What's the tracking like on the VCOs? How many octaves? Tri-core? Do they go down to LFO range? Can you tell some more about the VCFs? The VCAs? Build docs available yet? What is that vactrol doing in there? That S&H/LFO/Sloth business sounds awesome, have you considered making that business a stand alone module?
thelizard
Ha! I was just working on a Numberwang, Router, Brain Custard (CV), and a second Sloths.

Quick question on the Router build: Does the mod eliminate any original functionality, or does it only add functionality?
andrewF
thelizard wrote:
Ha! I was just working on a Numberwang, Router, Brain Custard (CV), and a second Sloths.

Quick question on the Router build: Does the mod eliminate any original functionality, or does it only add functionality?

Adds w00t
andrewF
williamcarthief wrote:
Null A2 looks way cool! Question barrage:

What's the tracking like on the VCOs? How many octaves? Tri-core? Do they go down to LFO range? Can you tell some more about the VCFs? The VCAs? Build docs available yet? What is that vactrol doing in there? That S&H/LFO/Sloth business sounds awesome, have you considered making that business a stand alone module?

There is some recycling going on:
The VCO are same as the NLC dual OTA VCOs, about 3 octaves of good tracking, range from approx 12Hz to 12kHz.
State VCF is based on the NLC Serious Filter (which in turn is based on the Arp 4023).
Ladder is something like the Moog Taurus, but VCA on the front end and a few changes in the Cv control section.

VCAs are the same as in the Cluster Matrix Mixer, they are simple and work very well with CV and audio.

BOM and build docs are just being checked over by n0rd, he is very good at such things. Should be ready tomorrow. edit - Ready, see 1st post

Vactrol is for controlling the VC delay

Yes the S&H/LFO/Sloth works in there really nicely, especially as whatever it spits out is related to whatever the other CV sources are doing. It would make a fun standalone module....maybe, my to-do-in-2017 list is getting a bit ridiculous.
trip
Dead Banana

Standalone nulla2 would be amazing.
andrewF
williamcarthief wrote:
Build docs available yet?

NULL-A build guide
andrewF
trip wrote:
Dead Banana

Standalone nulla2 would be amazing.

That is the idea.
It was developed for Murdoch University to use in their Sound technology course. They bought an earlier version and feedback from that resulted in this design, hence the more normal modules like ADSR, VCA, S&H plus two types of VCF.

Hopefully nathanxl will design a small 42HP case to suit it and share the design along with his other lasercut cases.
fx0
wow, that looks very nice!
do you have a suggestion for what to use to power a standalone null2a?
andrewF
I use these NLC WAMod PSU which run off a 12VAC wallwart, but will probably develop a similar but smaller version to suit the null-A.
geecen
These look awesome
GryphonP3
Man! 2017 is no joke! I just ordered that big batch from you too.. maybe it is already time for another one!
br1qbat
Damn, I really need to get smd under my belt! Excellent stuff as usual Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
TripJ
Beautiful SMD layout. Makes me want to heat the iron.
J3RK
Nice Andrew! thumbs up
ym2612
Where can I find those lovely knobs I see on the Null-A2 (and FK1T)?
andrewF
ym2612 wrote:

I get them from the manufacturer: Chia Shin - CP-ER5-6-W56 - probably a 1000 piece minimum buy
Never seen them in shops.
marto
very tempting. Is the design for the faceplate available should I want to alter it a little and make my own?
andrewF
marto wrote:
very tempting. Is the design for the faceplate available should I want to alter it a little and make my own?

Yes it is up, please do make your own.......and show some pics.
andrewF
Panels for Null-A and Envelope Follower are now in stock w00t

Morphology
Wow, those gold plated panels are beautiful!

Are they aluminimium PCBs with a gold-plated copper layer as the legend?

White solder mask?
andrewF
Morphology wrote:
Wow, those gold plated panels are beautiful!

Are they aluminimium PCBs with a gold-plated copper layer as the legend?

White solder mask?

Thanks - they have come out very nicely.
The 1st batch was aluminium but nearly all of them arrived scratched so the current batch are 2mm PCB. Yes ENIG (gold) lettering and white soldermask.
Morphology
Nice! It's definitely the way forward for reasonably priced custom / short run panels, and sure beats the likes of Front Panel Express / Schaeffer on both price and design flexibility.

The only downside, as I see it, is that the Solder Masks tend to be limited to a small number of fairly primary colours (Black, White, Red, Green, Blue).

The aluminium ones I've had made (by PCB Way) haven't come back scratched, though have arrived in various differing shades of grey / white.

I also got one batch back to which they'd added a (tiny) serial number, because I'd forgotten to specifically tell them not to.

Still, I'm not complaining, when I can get 20 made for less than the price of 1 from FPE.

I've not tried gold plating yet, but will definitely give it a go in the future.

Morph
masterofstuff124
wow. just wow. what an amazing all in one solution. This is a perfect build for the beginners in the synthdiy world. so confusing when getting started "what collection of modules do i need?"

I am planning on building it standalone for couch jams and portability.

whats the power draw?

also if any are still available id prefer the aluminum Panel as its slightly more robust for my new portable.

also my first NLC module!!!

Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana nanners
ehafh
these are awesome, just throwing in that the NLC panels i have in metal are highly preferred to the pcb material stuff. maybe it's just a peace of mind thing having metal? if one supplier messed it up though, you should send them photo's and might get a refund / replacement. also when buying panels from a group buy recently all the gloss versions showed up perfect, and they were loosely packed. but matte's were scuff/scratched to hell.

keep rockin!
andrewF
Edit: I will wipe the original post as it is no longer relevant.
This bit is:

I now have stock of good PCB Null-A panels, USD50 each.

If you don't mind a few scuff minor marks, I have B-stock aluminium panels available for USD40.

edit: only B-stock aluminium panels available now
ChartreKhan
I'm sad about the lack of FM on those oscillators cry Although i guess most of the time people might be mounting this in a case with midi to CV or something and can just put a mixer nextdoor.
masterofstuff124
gathering the parts for my NullA2

which bc847
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/bc847-transistor-npn-45v-0-1a-sot-23- 3-bc847b-215.html

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/bc847-transistor-npn-45v-0-1a-sot-23- 3-bc847c-215.html

also which 4052? there are so many with other letters infront of 4052 that im confused. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Toshiba/74HCT4052DBJ/?qs=sGAEpiMZZ MuWWq7rhECaKUVhbQQyO%252baksDSUqNgajtI%3d

thanks for any and all help! This is fun!
andrewF
I tend to get BC847b.

You never want chips with '74HCT' on the front, these are not CMOS. Check the supply voltage rating; just 5.5V.
Try CD4052
andrewF
ChartreKhan wrote:
I'm sad about the lack of FM on those oscillators cry Although i guess most of the time people might be mounting this in a case with midi to CV or something and can just put a mixer nextdoor.

Yep, space was pretty tight. Had to make some choices hmmm.....

It is simply a matter of cutting a trace and adding a jumper to convert either the sync or PWM inputs to FM.
Eric the Red
Andrew - can the null A2 run off of 15v? This would be so much fun to convert up to 5U.

Seeing your stuff makes euro very very tempting.
andrewF
Eric the Red wrote:
Andrew - can the null A2 run off of 15v? This would be so much fun to convert up to 5U.

It should all be fine except make sure you use 0805 10uF caps rated for at 35V.
I have been told Mouser now stock them, they cost a little bit more than the 25V rated versions but would be a good idea.
Eric the Red
It looks like I'll be placing an order on Friday - payday can't get here soon enough smile
malnatim
andrewF wrote:
Eric the Red wrote:

I have been told Mouser now stock them, they cost a little bit more than the 25V rated versions but would be a good idea.

i was looking for these this week. the best value i found…
http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=C2012X5R1V106K125A Cvirtualkey52130000virtualkey810-C2012X5R1V106K1C
n0rd
malnatim wrote:
andrewF wrote:
Eric the Red wrote:

http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=C2012X5R1V106K125A Cvirtualkey52130000virtualkey810-C2012X5R1V106K1C

Those seem to be about US$7 for 10 or US$30 for 100.
These (Murata GRM21BR6YA106KE43L [Mouser: 81-GRM21BR6YA106KE3L]) are US$3 for 10 or US$12 for 100.
(Both are 10uF 0805 10% X5R 35V).

Steve
n0rd
In case anyone was wondering, NullA2 is doable all by hand. I didn't find it hard at all - just time consuming. If you have done any other NLC modules like a Feague, 8hp Sloth etc then NullA2 is just the same albeit more to do. Think of it like soldering four or five "Feague" or "8hp Sloths" modules.

Steve
andrewF
andrewF wrote:
Eric the Red wrote:

Probably obvious, but make sure ALL capacitors are rated for at least 35V. Most 0805 caps have a 50V rating, its usually just 10uf that are tricky.
needspeed
masterofstuff124 wrote:
wow. just wow. what an amazing all in one solution. This is a perfect build for the beginners in the synthdiy world. so confusing when getting started "what collection of modules do i need?"

I am planning on building it standalone for couch jams and portability.

whats the power draw?

also if any are still available id prefer the aluminum Panel as its slightly more robust for my new portable.

also my first NLC module!!!

Rockin' Banana! Dead Banana nanners

With all due respect, SMD on this scale is no first beginners diy project. Heck try an O&C as a first SMD kit and see how it goes.

With practice of course, this can and has been done with an iron, but without learning an SMD soldering technique, i see failure on the horizon for first time DIYers..

Otherwise this looks like an awesome kit and synth.......Steve
malnatim
n0rd wrote:
malnatim wrote:
andrewF wrote:
Eric the Red wrote:

These (Murata GRM21BR6YA106KE43L [Mouser: 81-GRM21BR6YA106KE3L]) are US$3 for 10 or US$12 for 100.

Steve

thanks steve. i saw those also. but i was avoiding any "Voltage and Temperature Derating Recommended Product."
andrewF
malnatim wrote:
n0rd wrote:
malnatim wrote:
andrewF wrote:
Eric the Red wrote:

Steve

thanks steve. i saw those also. but i was avoiding any "Voltage and Temperature Derating Recommended Product."

The derating stuff only comes into effect above 60 degrees C and fed close to rated max voltage, so no need to worry about it for general use as neither of these happen.

BTW - for Eurorack builders, 10uF rated at 25V are perfectly fine (and cheaper).
Discussion of 35V rating is just for people building for +/-15V systems
andrewF
I now have stock of good PCB Null-A panels, USD50 each.

If you don't mind a few scuff minor marks, I have B-stock aluminium panels available for USD40.

edit: only B stock aluminium panels available now
trip
Best pcbs in the biz cool

Aluminium panels for the feague look great as well, just wish I could find some bipolar leds in wacky colours now. Red/green is way too vanilla.
andrewF
I have been getting red/blue bipolars off ebay, they are pretty good
masterofstuff124
were can I get a stereo jack for my NullA2 build?
andrewF
masterofstuff124 wrote:
were can I get a stereo jack for my NullA2 build?

Mouser Part No: 161-3402-E

They are also common at Radio Shack type shops.
masterofstuff124
so i forgot to solder any of the Ground tabs from my tayda jacks to the PCB itself(NullA2) / I know lots of modulars use banana leads that have no ground? do I need to take apart my build and connect all the grounds?
woodster
Yes, I think you'll want your jacks to be grounded.
thelizard
In case y'all missed it, Andrew posted a few new ones today:

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2017/04/coming-soon-plague-of-de mons.html

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2017/04/coming-soon-sly-grogan.h tml
(http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=GROGAN)

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2017/04/coming-soon-divine-cmos. html

Standalone power for Null-A:
http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2017/04/coming-soon-small-psu.ht ml
windspirit
Def interested in hearing the new oscillator!
andrewF
masterofstuff124 wrote:
so i forgot to solder any of the Ground tabs from my tayda jacks to the PCB itself(NullA2) / I know lots of modulars use banana leads that have no ground? do I need to take apart my build and connect all the grounds?

That would be the best solution, but you can get away without doing so.
It depends:
if you are using the null-A as a stand-alone synth and just patching between its own modules - no, except for the jack that is used to connect null-A to your mixer/amp.

if using null-A in your modular and everything is connected to the same power supply (so on the same ground) - no

if you have an aluminium panel, just solder leads to the easy-to-access jacks on the sides, that should be enough.
andrewF
Just some info on the Null-A

Current draw:
+12V rail - 135mA
-12V rail - 90mA

Davies 1900H knobs will fit but you will need very delicate fingers; not really the best option, so one DIYer suggested these knobs. You will need splined pots to go with them, something like this.
marto
andrewF wrote:

Current draw:
+12V rail - 135mA
-12V rail - 90mA

Earlier you mentioned a smaller PSU specifically for the Null-A, any news of this?

Thanks
andrewF
Yes I just got the proto-type in yesterday, haven't built one yet but it is a slimmed down design I have been using for a couple of years, so should be fine.

It will have holes for spade connectors as well as a 16 pin eurorack connector.

I expect these will be USD8 each.

TheSlowGrowth
Re Null A2:

I checked it out at the superbooth and liked it overall. Here's a couple of things I noticed - it's not meant destructively and by no means an objective truth; just as a feedback.

1) The knobs were much tighter than I expected. In retrospect: I could have known because on the photos from the first post in this thread you can clearly see the size of the jacks next to the pots. I guess that's what happens when you pack so many features in to little space.
Given that the top PCB is mostly used for the pots and jacks, I guess it would be possible to design your own version or build one on perfboard.

2) I played with it quickly but I just couldn't wrap my head around the internal routing of things. I know that there's a manual that clearly states all of this but it would be super helpful to have some sort of indication on the panel (like the golden lines on the 0-coast) just to help remember. It would certainly make the synth more accessible.

3) This thing really needs another mixer section. What if I wanted to run two oscillators into a single filter (needs a mixer) then add a bit of not-100%-wet delay (needs another mixer). Even just a simple three-jack mixer without level control would have been nice. But then, it's DIY and another mixer is easy to add myself.

4) I would prefer having a HP out instead of the BP on the SVF - I could easily make myself a BP from the ladder filter and a HP on the SVF if I wanted to.

Anyways, I guess I can always mod it to my liking. Its a great package overall and I'm seriously tempted to just buy the pcbs and start modding the hell out of it :-)
andrewF
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes it is tight, I packed in a lot. My fingers are probably average sized and I don't have any issues using it.

I hope most people can learn the internal routing after a few minutes with the manual in front of them, there aren't that many connections. After that it should be easy to remember.

The VCAs are internally routed to the mixer, so can just be used as inputs with the pots. This gives 4 inputs to the mixer, but yeh just one mixer.

Easy enough to get HP from the SVCF, cut a trace and add a wire. You won't get BP from the ladder filter tho.
maaaks
thelizard wrote:
In case y'all missed it, Andrew posted a few new ones today:

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com/2017/04/coming-soon-plague-of-de mons.html

I'm sold on the name alone hihi
marto
andrewF wrote:
Yes I just got the proto-type in yesterday, haven't built one yet but it is a slimmed down design I have been using for a couple of years, so should be fine.

It will have holes for spade connectors as well as a 16 pin eurorack connector.

I expect these will be USD8 each.

Cool, let me know when you're happy with them and the final pricing.
Kirnu
Desperately need more info on the Through o osc!
andrewF
Kirnu wrote:

The proto-type worked beautifully, just tweaked a few resistor values to get the output signal levels where they should be. I've built 3 different thru-0s over the last 10 years: EN129, Tillmans' trapezoid and this one, a switching type which is also based on an Electronotes design. This one is by far my favorite, easy to use; LEDs indicate when it crosses zero and sounds great.

I ordered a production run of PCBs and panels last night, so should be here in 2 weeks or so.
Kirnu
andrewF wrote:
Kirnu wrote:

The proto-type worked beautifully, just tweaked a few resistor values to get the output signal levels where they should be. I've built 3 different thru-0s over the last 10 years: EN129, Tillmans' trapezoid and this one, a switching type which is also based on an Electronotes design. This one is by far my favorite, easy to use; LEDs indicate when it crosses zero and sounds great.

I ordered a production run of PCBs and panels last night, so should be here in 2 weeks or so.

Nice. I will definitely get one and a sloth prob. Do you include calibration instructions with the pcb or online? I haven't done an analog osc before but I hear tuning sine phase/angle is a thing, or something along those lines.
ablearcher
in the envelope follower BOM you say:
Quote:
S1JL or similar, optional - for reverse voltage protection
2 SMD, standard power diode 600V 1A, dot on PCB indicates anode (stripe) OPTIONAL

do you mean cathode there?
andrewF
ablearcher wrote:
in the envelope follower BOM you say:
Quote:
S1JL or similar, optional - for reverse voltage protection
2 SMD, standard power diode 600V 1A, dot on PCB indicates anode (stripe) OPTIONAL

do you mean cathode there?

I did, at least I got the dot/stripe bit correct, new baby in the house.........Glad to know people actually read these build guides Hug
mutronic
nice circuits thumbs up
andrewF
Kirnu wrote:
andrewF wrote:
Kirnu wrote:

Nice. I will definitely get one and a sloth prob. Do you include calibration instructions with the pcb or online? I haven't done an analog osc before but I hear tuning sine phase/angle is a thing, or something along those lines.

Sorry missed this post, yes I usually put some info about tuning in the build guides. Everybody has their favorite methods so I really just point out where everything is.
If you have an oscilloscope and a good function generator you could tune with them. I have a Fluke instrument calibrator which puts out accurate voltages in 1V steps, I use this with a Korg instrument tuner, good enough for me (I never care about Western scale when playing anyway)
andrewF
A Plague of Demons - thru-0 VCO.
PCB set - USD26
panel - USD24
panel template
Build guide & BOM

AlanP
Niiice.

What is the name from? It brings Earth to mind for me, and their track "Plague Of Angels".
andrewF
AlanP wrote:
Niiice.

What is the name from? It brings Earth to mind for me, and their track "Plague Of Angels".

I don't know that one, the name is from one of my favorite books:

trip
That cover art is incredible - lazertran custom panel anyone?

Is the 'self control' fm feedback from the sine or somethin more exotic? Really excited for this one.
Larrea
hihi

andrewF
trip wrote:
That cover art is incredible - lazertran custom panel anyone?

Is the 'self control' fm feedback from the sine or somethin more exotic? Really excited for this one.

There are several different covers for this book, but I like this one best. A custom panel would be great, I will look into it.

Yes the self-control is from the Sine via a VCA:

LeftyLogic
Oh that looks phenomenal. Is it a new design or is it based off of an existing through-zero core?
andrewF
LeftyLogic wrote:
Oh that looks phenomenal. Is it a new design or is it based off of an existing through-zero core?

The core is based on ideas presented in Electronotes EN#75 which were a development of suggestions from Bob Moog, it uses analogue switches rather than FW rectifiers. Schematic is in the build guide if you want a peek.
trip
Not sure which thread is best to post in, but I was wondering about the possibility of a few mods to the ota vco. Would it be possible to add a vco/lfo switch? I'm not entirely clear how the ota vco works, but could I do that by adding a larger cap in parallel with a switch and the 2n2 cap like this:

I want to wire the sync input of vco1 to it's fm input instead as well, but I'm not sure which of the opamps on the 074 is the fm in.
andrewF
trip wrote:
Not sure which thread is best to post in, but I was wondering about the possibility of a few mods to the ota vco. Would it be possible to add a vco/lfo switch? I'm not entirely clear how the ota vco works, but could I do that by adding a larger cap in parallel with a switch and the 2n2 cap like this:

I want to wire the sync input of vco1 to it's fm input instead as well, but I'm not sure which of the opamps on the 074 is the fm in.

Yes switch/cap would work, you will need to try a few values to get it where you want.

Add FM on VCO1 to pin13 of the LM13700 via a 100k resistor (feel free to try 47k, you might like it)
andrewF
desolationjones
Dang, that demo's got a great palette of sounds. What was the inspiration behind the CV input? Looks like it could it be used like an adder to transpose melodies...

The self-FM function is rad. Does the FM Env. input set the FM index for both the self and external modulation?

Love the blurb on the back of the PCB... "If you tune it properly you can make real music!" hihi
csaban
Is there a plan/chance for a thru-hole PCB Null A2?
ablearcher
plague of demons demo sounds great! can't wait for my pcbs to arrive hyper
andrewF
csaban wrote:
Is there a plan/chance for a thru-hole PCB Null A2?

Sorry but no plans. Have a go at smd; most people prefer smd once they try it and realise it is so much faster, easier and cleaner than thru-hole.
andrewF
desolationjones wrote:
Dang, that demo's got a great palette of sounds. What was the inspiration behind the CV input? Looks like it could it be used like an adder to transpose melodies...

If nothing is patched into the CV input, the CV pot acts as a freq pot to get oscillations into kHz range, but the linear/FM controls can still get it switching. Otherwise CV input goes to an attenuator and is then summed with the 1V/oct input.
desolationjones wrote:

The self-FM function is rad. Does the FM Env. input set the FM index for both the self and external modulation?
Yes

desolationjones wrote:

Love the blurb on the back of the PCB... "If you tune it properly you can make real music!" hihi

That was a comment a friend (nathanxl on muffs) got from a punter after a gig with his Lunetta Guitar, it still makes me laugh.
ac
andrewF wrote:
ym2612 wrote:

I get them from the manufacturer: Chia Shin - CP-ER5-6-W56 - probably a 1000 piece minimum buy
Never seen them in shops.

I wonder if these are the same that Befaco sell:
http://shop.befaco.org/166-knobs

It sounds like they're meant for T18 but do you think they would fit okay on this sort of smooth shafted pot?
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/10k-ohm-linear-taper-potentiometer-rou nd-shaft-pcb-9mm.html
andrewF
Yes they look the same and
no they won't fit on a smooth shafted pot (I have tried)

You could do something tricky with a hot-glue gun, but a pita really.
andrewF
Divine CMOS can be used as a CV pattern generator with slew, frequency divider, gate pattern generator, envelope follower and a ring modulator that provides sub-harmonics that can be mixed together to create new sounds.
PCB - USD18
Panel - USD20

Build guide
panel template

synchromesh
And so my NLC shopping list gets longer and longer... Great stuff as always Andrew! we're not worthy
n0rd
Quick audio demo of Divine CMOS.
Note: it can be used with LFOs too but I focused on audio rate. At the end, VCOs were transposed quite low that they were almost LFOs. Cool patterns emerge. grin

For the most part audio goes:
Input sound.
Divine CMOS /2, /4, /8, /16.
Divine CMOS OUT.

Towards the end I add filter and some modulation.
No effects added (EQ, delay, reverb etc).
Recorded raw module output (no processing). Download to hear at 16bit 44k.

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-divine-cmos-16-44k
 [soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/328656249" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

Approx time (minutes:seconds)
0:00 Raw NLC Dual VCO Tri1 (to be used as input to Divine CMOS)
0:02 Divine CMOS /2, /4, /8, /16
0:08 Divine CMOS OUT + Wiggle of pots
0:17 Raw NLC Dual VCO Tri1 - Increase pitch three octaves
0:22 Divine CMOS /2, /4, /8, /16
0:30 Divine CMOS OUT + Wiggle
0:58 NLC Dual VCO Tri1 + Tr2 (Notice slight beating of oscillators)
1:05 Divine CMOS /2, /4, /8, /16
1:14 NLC Dual VCO Tri1 + Tri2 (More detune)
1:22 Divine CMOS /2, /4, /8, /16
1:35 NLC Dual VCO Tri1 + Tri2 (Even more detune)
1:43 Divine CMOS /2, /4, /8, /16
1:57 Divine CMOS OUT + Wiggle (Pattern comes from amount of detune between oscillators and Divine CMOS pots)
2:23 NLC Dual VCO Tri1 & Tri2 + Divine CMOS /4 + Divine CMOS OUT + NLC Serious Filter (filter pinged by Grids + Env)
2:55 As before but changing tune of VCOs (Tri1 -1 Oct, Tri2 +4 then +7 transpose)
3:52 NLC Dual VCO Pulse1 and Pulse2 as input to Divine CMOS + Divine CMOS /4 and OUT --> Serious Filter (plus wiggle)
5:09 Divine CMOS OUT + SLEW (to filter frequency) (plus wiggle). Changing VCO1 octave down -1, -2, -3. Then VCO2 octave down -1, -2, -3 (whilst VCO1 is at -3). etc

thumbs up

Steve
n0rd
Quick demo of Plague of Demons [PoD].

Note: It can make normal oscillator sounds too... but why would anyone want to hear that? razz

No effects added (EQ, delay, reverb etc).
No filters used, just raw Plague of Demons output. No processing.
Download (16bit/44kHz) available.

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-plague-of-demons-de mo-01

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/328979811" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Simple external modulation.
0:28 More intense (deeper) external modulation.
1:06 Manual tweak of Ext Mod, Depth, FM Env etc.
2:55 Hard panned individual outputs (to get stereo).
4:54 Square / PWM hard panned.
5:17 Dual PoD (with common Ext Mod) hard panned left/right. Tweaked to find sweet spots.
6:15 Dual PoD cross modulation (one modulates the other and vise-versa).

w00t

Steve
andrewF
Thanks for posting these n0rd, really good sounds thumbs up
OlivierWah
Just see that thing on Andrew youtube...Seems to be amazing :p

andrewF
Aah Thanks......guess I should put up some details about it hihi
n0rd
A few more sounds from Plague of Demons.

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-plague-of-demons-de mo-02

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/329909163" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=false&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

Miley Cyrus

Steve
trip
Great demos Steve, thanks!
andrewF
Thanks for this one too Steve, you are getting some great sounds from the PoD
flab
OOooft that ARSEq looks really clever and alive, is it pre patch to feed the envolope of stage 1 to stage 2 to 3 etc, so you can have steps with different time lengths ?
andrewF
It is kind of a sequencer, you can set the voltage level for each envelope (inverted to a -V or normal to a +V).
clock 1 - begins attack phase of Env 1 which then goes into sustain until clock 2 arrives.
clock 2 - begins release phase of Env 1
clock 3- begins attack phase of Env 2, if Env 1 is still releasing then the signals are mixed. Env 2 goes into sustain until clock 4 arrives.
and so on....

There are outputs for each of the individual envelopes and a mixed output to get the whole sequence.

I actually have these in stock, just have been too busy to make a build guide and take some pictures. Very easy build, the panel is a bit tight, best to find some slim knobs.

The PCB set is USD23, panel is USD22.

andrewF
ARSEq

Build guide & BOM

panel template

OlivierWah
Hi,

I want to know if you will make a slimmed down version (or reedition) of "It's 555" in Eurorack, like Divine CMOS ?
andrewF
OlivierWah wrote:
Hi,

I want to know if you will make a slimmed down version (or reedition) of "It's 555" in Eurorack, like Divine CMOS ?

Yep, there is an updated proto-type on my bench now. It has had a number of changes, including 5 vactrols and an FM input. It is working, but needs refining. Here's the 16HP panel, as it is for now:

OlivierWah
FM in and 5 vactrols ? Seems to be amazing, I love that :p.
ccastellanossf
Well this looks interesting:
https://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/primal-hyperchaos.ht ml

Any chance we can a more detailed explanation on how it works (especially the cv & gate outputs)?
andrewF
ccastellanossf wrote:
Well this looks interesting:
https://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.com.au/2017/07/primal-hyperchaos.ht ml

Any chance we can a more detailed explanation on how it works (especially the cv & gate outputs)?

I will get the build manual up this weekend. But X, Y, Z and inverted Z are all taken from the parallel integrator stages, so all related but quite different to each other. W is taken from the switching stage and produces some quite unusual envelopes. The gate is the from the switching section as well.

ccastellanossf
Great. I imagine the gates can be of varying length but I'll hold off on more questions until the build manual comes out.
andrewF
ccastellanossf wrote:
Great. I imagine the gates can be of varying length but I'll hold off on more questions until the build manual comes out.

Yes gates are varying....a lot

Build guide is here
ccastellanossf
andrewF wrote:
ccastellanossf wrote:

Yes gates are varying....a lot

Build guide is here

Thanks. Do the capacitors affect the speed in a linear way (i.e. is 10uF 10x slower than 1uF)?

Also if the CV in is associated with the Climax post what is the CV pot for? On the schematic it seems like they are both simply attenuators going to the same place.
andrewF
Not exactly linear and it is difficult to measure freq with this circuit but approx 10x slower.

Climax could be viewed as a initial gain/voltge offset control
n0rd
Demo using NLC Primal - Hyperchaos.

I'm using it as a modulation source all over so I have used FXs at times. (Delay, reverb etc).

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-primal-hyperchaos-d emo-01

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/334422046" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

• [0:00] 1uF.
    Primal X -> OSC PWM.
    Primal Y -> Pan.
    Primal W -> Filter cutoff.
    Primal Gate -> Kick.

• [1:00] 1uF.
    Primal X -> PoD1 PWM. (PoD = Plague of Demons)
    Primal Y -> PoD1 PWM.
    Primal Z -> Filter1 FM.
    Primal Z' -> Filter2 FM.
    Primal W -> Clouds POS.
    Primal Gate -> Clouds Trig.
    PoD1 Saw -> Clouds L.
    PoD2 Saw -> Clouds R.

• [1:58] 470nF.
    Braids 1 & 2 = FOLD.
    Primal X -> Braids1 Color.
    Primal Y -> Braids2 Color.
    Primal Z -> Braids1 Timbre.
    Primal Z' -> Braids2 Timbre.
    Primal Gate -> Branches.
    Branches Out A -> Env1 -> VCA1 -> Left.
    Branches Out B -> Env2 -> VCA2 -> Right.

• [2:28] 470nF.
    Primal X -> Warps Wavefolder.
    Primal Y -> Braids Color.
    Primal W -> Braids Timbre.
    Braids _|_|_|_|_ -> Warps Wavefolder -> Out.

• [3:03] 1uF.
    Primal X -> Multiband Distortion <200 CV & Phase/Flange 329 CV.
    Primal Y -> Multiband Distortion 200-900 CV.
    Primal Z -> Multiband Distortion 900-4k CV.
    Primal W -> Multiband Distortion >4k CV.
    Primal Z' -> Phase/Flange 329 Lin CV.
    Tri OSC -> Multiband Distortion IN --> Phase/Flange 329.
    Phase/Flange 329 Main -> Left.
    Phase/Flange 329 Aux -> Right.

• [3:48] 470nF & 1uF (Two modules used).
    Primal 470nF Y --> Sheep Column.
    Primal 470nF Z --> Sheep Smoothness.
    Primal 470nF W -> O&C Quantermain CV source.
    Primal 470nF gate -> Clouds Trig.
    Primal 1uF X --> Sheep Row.
    Primal 1uF Y --> Clouds density.
    Primal 1uF gate --> Sheep Freeze.
    Primal 1uF gate --> Temps Utile (division) -> O&C Quantermain Trig.

• [4:23] 1uF.
    Primal Y --> O&C Quantermain Source.
    Primal gate --> O&C Quantermain Trig + Env Trig.
    Rings (Sympathetic strings) IN (Square VCA'ed by Env) -> Clouds (delay) -> Disting Reverb.

thumbs up

Steve
trip
Great demos as per!
ArboriaAuralist
Regarding the NLC Dual LFO, are there any specific requirements for the two diodes?
kevin0
ArboriaAuralist wrote:
Regarding the NLC Dual LFO, are there any specific requirements for the two diodes?

1n4148 will do the trick!
andrewF
kevin0 wrote:
ArboriaAuralist wrote:

Yes - unless specified - such as the rectifiers or the odd zener, always use 1n4148 or 1n914 on NLC circuits
acgenerator
how easily could Hyperchaos get modded to have a switch for a few different speeds?
andrewF
acgenerator wrote:
how easily could Hyperchaos get modded to have a switch for a few different speeds?

You would need a 4 pole switch, which do not fit well on a PCB with pots and jacks, too high.
Other than that fairly easy, it is not like the Sloth where many components need to be changed, it is just the four caps.

I'm working on a 'deluxe' version with frequency controlled capacitance, 8 LEDs on the panel and more outputs. It will be a bigger build of course with stacked PCBs. Primal is nice and easy.
paperCUT
andrewF wrote:

Current draw:
+12V rail - 135mA
-12V rail - 90mA

Davies 1900H knobs will fit but you will need very delicate fingers; not really the best option, so one DIYer suggested these knobs. You will need splined pots to go with them, something like this.

Altronics sells both black and white versions of these knobs (white ones in the pic) but they don't seem to be on the website. They look to be the same as the Befaco knobs and work great for cramped layouts:

I'll get the part number next time I go instore.
indigoid
ooooh, i like those thin white knobs! cheers (please do share part#!)

there's also these

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/h6560-11mm-black-18t-spline-plastic-knob  /
trip
Thonk stock the befaco mini knobs now https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/micro-knobs/
ccastellanossf
andrewF wrote:
acgenerator wrote:

You would need a 4 pole switch, which do not fit well on a PCB with pots and jacks, too high.
Other than that fairly easy, it is not like the Sloth where many components need to be changed, it is just the four caps.

I'm working on a 'deluxe' version with frequency controlled capacitance, 8 LEDs on the panel and more outputs. It will be a bigger build of course with stacked PCBs. Primal is nice and easy.

That would be very cool. It's peanut butter jelly time!
ArboriaAuralist
kevin0 wrote:

andrewF wrote:

Yes - unless specified - such as the rectifiers or the odd zener, always use 1n4148 or 1n914 on NLC circuits

Perfect, I have an approximate infinite number of 1n4148s. hihi

Thanks, comrades! thumbs up
sackeri
Just got my PoD VCO. Very psyched. Just had a couple questions on the build.

1. For C2, is Tayda A-3524 fine? If not, what's a good 1n 0805 cap?

2. For the tempco heatsink, that's just silicone thermal paste/grease between the resistor and transistor it sits on correct?
trip
I've not built a PoD yet, but generally speaking I'd be wary of the quality of the Tayda ceramic caps. A "good one" would usually mean C0G (NP0) dielectric for the timing cap, Tayda are very non-specific about what those caps are. You can use the search filters on most electronics suppliers websites to filter for: MLCCs, 0805 package, 1n (or 1000pf), and C0G (NP0) dielectric. Then sort price from lowest to highest and get the cheapest one they got!

For example you could get this one from mouser http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/AVX/08055A102JAT2A/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs 0AnBnWHyRQAO9wz3NDm%2fCxbKoPfRgx2k%3d

And yup the heatsink would just be thermal paste/greast between the tempco and transistors, make sure the bodies of the components are in contact.
andrewF
sackeri wrote:
Just got my PoD VCO. Very psyched. Just had a couple questions on the build.

1. For C2, is Tayda A-3524 fine? If not, what's a good 1n 0805 cap?

You have a choice for C2: smd OR thru-hole (don't install both).
Either will work and there are better quality caps coming into the 0805 range all of the time.
Easiest from Tayda tho are the polyester box types - A-557 or A-1531.
acgenerator
ccastellanossf wrote:
andrewF wrote:
acgenerator wrote:

That would be very cool. It's peanut butter jelly time!

Agreed. I think I'm likely to hold off and get the deluxe version rather than make a breakout/mod. The output is interesting to me at all speed ranges so any version of this with multiple outs or more flexibility is worth the extra board.

Any availability date of the deluxe version?
andrewF
acgenerator wrote:

Any availability date of the deluxe version?

If there is litle debugging to do ......september?
trip
The suggested fet for the PoD seems to be out of stock most places, would j110 be okay? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/MMBFJ11 0/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv4z0HnGdrLjvCGBDt9HuQkmYrqyyMEJaA%3d

On characteristics are different to the j108 in the data sheet, but tbh I've no idea which of that stuff is relevant...
andrewF
trip wrote:
The suggested fet for the PoD seems to be out of stock most places, would j110 be okay? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor-Fairchild/MMBFJ11 0/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv4z0HnGdrLjvCGBDt9HuQkmYrqyyMEJaA%3d

On characteristics are different to the j108 in the data sheet, but tbh I've no idea which of that stuff is relevant...

It should be fine, along with J112 and J113. I use J112 a lot these days - Mouser MMBFJ112, which is in stock
jimi23
Has anyone managed to locate some T18 pots for the ARSeq? I have the small knobs on the way from thonk, struggling to find a suitable splined shaft pot though. None at tayda, couldnt find any at mouser, and Digikey is down at the moment.
Thonk warn about putting them on anything but T18, saying they're really difficult to remove
paperCUT
jimi23 wrote:
Has anyone managed to locate some T18 pots for the ARSeq? I have the small knobs on the way from thonk, struggling to find a suitable splined shaft pot though. None at tayda, couldnt find any at mouser, and Digikey is down at the moment.
Thonk warn about putting them on anything but T18, saying they're really difficult to remove

They are very hard to find, I ordered some from Aliexpress but no idea what the quality will be like when they arrive.
andrewF
I asked Modular Addict if they could stock them (good for the Null-A as well), they said they will but it will take a few weeks.

Feel free to email MA and ask hihi
thelizard
andrewF wrote:
acgenerator wrote:

That sounds fantastic. Any plans of a similar update for Brain Custard?
andrewF
thelizard wrote:
andrewF wrote:
acgenerator wrote:

That sounds fantastic. Any plans of a similar update for Brain Custard?

No current plans, my modules-to-do list has me busy til deep 2019 so it might be a while.
maaaks
A deluxe Primal Hyperchaos sounds amazing. I might just hold off getting the standard version... Any vague ETA?

Edit: Just read the thread and saw you've already said maybe September
Koryo
Regarding the pots on the ARSEq, what rise and fall times do you see with 100k vs 1M?
Koryo
Well, just in case, I have 100k, 500k, and 1M pots ready for an ARSEq build.

Just to be clear, I would only swap out the A and D pots right?
andrewF
Koryo wrote:

Just to be clear, I would only swap out the A and D pots right?

Yes that is right.

My preference is 100k pots for the Attack and 1M for Decay, but it is fine with 100k on both too.

I actually gave my ARSEq to a friend last week, so need to build another one for me. Should have a proto-type around to measure rise/fall times, just need to dig it out of the box where protos get chucked and forgotten.....easier said than done.

Another option is to use 100k pots and stack the 10uF caps. Once you have a 10uF cap (the ones next to the TL074) soldered in place, put another one on top of it and drag the solder up to connect it. Let things cool down before soldering the other side.
Much easier than changing out pots.
Stack as many as you like t o get it slower. I had little towers of seven 10uF caps piled up when prototyping the 8HP Sloth.
Koryo
Thanks Andrew.

Yeah I was just looking to set the range permanently. Thanks for the added info. Is it safe to say that a 1M will produce ten times longer envelopes than a 100k pot?

If that is true then I just need to know what the 100k time range is.
Paranormal Patroler
Man, that ARSEq looks so useful! love
andrewF
Koryo wrote:
Thanks Andrew.

Yeah I was just looking to set the range permanently. Thanks for the added info. Is it safe to say that a 1M will produce ten times longer envelopes than a 100k pot?

approx 10x, much longer anyway.
I'm building myself a new ArseQ now, so will let you know when it is done & tested.
mmagin
andrewF wrote:

This is awesome, and I am glad you respun it as a no-panel-wiring eurorack board. It seems at times reminiscent of the "Rungler" part of the Benjolin if it's output is used to FM two oscillators which feed its two inputs.
andrewF
andrewF wrote:
Koryo wrote:
Thanks Andrew.

approx 10x, much longer anyway.
I'm building myself a new ArseQ now, so will let you know when it is done & tested.

with 100k, approx 3 sec up or down
with 1M, approx 25 sec
mr.freeman
about to order a PCB/panel set for a Plague of Demons module (best name ever) and I'm taking a look at the BOM. I can build SMD stuff but I rally suck at parts sourcing. Has anyone who already built it a Mouser Cart or some links to share? big thanks we're not worthy we're not worthy help
mmagin
I would get an assortment of 0805 resistors and capacitors. Here in the US, https://www.adafruit.com/product/441 is a reasonable shortcut, dunno about shipping cost for you. Do note that for some critical parts, you may need to specifically use film capacitors or NP0 (aka C0G) ceramics. In the plague of demons, I think C2 is the one critical one like that. I think the most stable thing today is a NP0 ceramic, in the old days folks would use polystyrene, but it's not clear they're actually manufactured anymore and never have been made in SMD. Just make sure you're using at least 25V rated capacitors.

LL4148 is the MiniMELF version of 1n4148. 100 of them should be cheap. In general, if you're buying SMD parts, check if 10, 25 or 100 isn't much more expensive. There are a lot of parts that may be 20 cents each but 50 cents for quantity 10.

As for transistors and ICs, just make sure you are using the package that matches the footprint. And one of those is a PNP matched pair, the other is a single PNP, and one is a j-fet. I think Andrew uses generally SOT-23 format parts and narrow SOIC ICs.
Larrea
mr.freeman wrote:
Has anyone who already built it a Mouser Cart or some links to share? big thanks we're not worthy we're not worthy help

Unfortunately, I don't have a cart saved, but in the very least, some of the parts in the BOM contain a Mouser part number, so that helps a bit. Tayda has all the regular passives too, if that's not too expensive for you in Italy.

The one key part that could be a problem is the tempco resistor. You'll need to order that from one of the specialists; probably Thonk is best for you. Make sure you don't get the massive, grey ones that some retailers have. You need the ones Thonk have; small, with the conventional color code bands.
mr.freeman
andrewF

can you explain the glitch problem on the Plague of Demons?
andrewF
Sometimes at very low frequencies (as in LFO range) when the direction changes you can get a bit of jitter - a few spikes. It is not noticable most of the time, especially at audio rates.

The schmitt trigger mod described in the build guide removes the glitch when using DG202 or DG212 ICs, which seem to be the best choices for switching chips btw.

Vers.3 of the PCB will have the mod implemented, but it is simply cut a trace and add 2 resistors on vers.2, nothing difficult.
mr.freeman
andrewF wrote:
Sometimes at very low frequencies (as in LFO range) when the direction changes you can get a bit of jitter - a few spikes. It is not noticable most of the time, especially at audio rates.

The schmitt trigger mod described in the build guide removes the glitch when using DG202 or DG212 ICs, which seem to be the best choices for switching chips btw.

Vers.3 of the PCB will have the mod implemented, but it is simply cut a trace and add 2 resistors on vers.2, nothing difficult.

cool, was courious about the actual reason of the glitch, thanks!
sumedho
I built a Primal Hyper Chaos which was working fine at the start (checked all outputs on the oscilloscope). However it now seems to "lock" up.

- checking on an oscilloscope it oscillates around zero on all the outputs.
- The 4 leds originally flashed on/off left 2 leds on, then right 2 led on...
- now only the two middle leds alternate and the outside leds don't light.
- checked all resistors and they are fine.
- checked all capacitors and they are fine.

Any ideas what to replace or check?
andrewF
sumedho wrote:
I built a Primal Hyper Chaos which was working fine at the start (checked all outputs on the oscilloscope). However it now seems to "lock" up.

- checking on an oscilloscope it oscillates around zero on all the outputs.
- The 4 leds originally flashed on/off left 2 leds on, then right 2 led on...
- now only the two middle leds alternate and the outside leds don't light.
- checked all resistors and they are fine.
- checked all capacitors and they are fine.

Any ideas what to replace or check?

Not had this happen to me (and have built 25+ of these now). Although it is not uncommon to see just one LED to light up sometimes.

Does adjusting the pots or adding CV get it restarted?
Does it lock up straight away when powered on or oscillates for a while and then stops?
What capacitors did you use for CAP? 100nF, 10uF?

Feel free to post some nice clear close up photos of your build or email them to me if you prefer.
sumedho
- I used 10uF for all caps.
- It did respond well before to the pots. Now turning up bifurcate locks it.
- Starts off slow and then oscillations increase until it rapidly oscillates between middle two leds.
- Signal from X looks like sine wave during oscillations and then converges to zero.
- Could one of the TL074 be the culprit?

andrewF
I doubt the chips are the problem.

Have you got 1M pots for Climax and Bifurcate?

Are the 10uF caps rated for 25V or higher?

Could you post some close-up & brighter pictures so I can read the component values and see the soldering - thanks
sumedho
- Caps are 10uF and I just replaced with another set that are definitely 35v rated.
- Pots are correct
- I can bring it to next WAMOD meeting.

andrewF
sumedho wrote:

- I can bring it to next WAMOD meeting.

prob easiest

Maybe just go thru and check all the components are soldered down on both ends. Sometimes one end can lift off the pad slightly during reflow.

btw - Most NLC builds get discussed on the NLC Builders Guild FB group these days.
sumedho
Ok will do, thanks for the help much appreciated.
maaaks
Any news on the Hyperchaos++ ? I'm kind of holding off on an order depending on whether this might see the light of day sometime soonish.

screaming goo yo
andrewF
maaaks wrote:
Any news on the Hyperchaos++ ? I'm kind of holding off on an order depending on whether this might see the light of day sometime soonish.

screaming goo yo

Yep got them in stock, just been too busy building modules to update the sales page.

10HP panel - USD22
PCB set (2) - USD23

Larrea
andrewF wrote:
maaaks wrote:

screaming goo yo

Yep got them in stock, just been too busy building modules to update the sales page.

Ten thousand It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo Rockin' Banana! we're not worthy applause

Been waiting on this!

Ordering yesterday!
maaaks
andrewF wrote:
maaaks wrote:

screaming goo yo

10HP panel - USD22
PCB set (2) - USD23

Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
andrewF
oh yeh Sly Grogans are in stock too. These changed a bit from the original, dropped the VCA but gained 2 extra outputs.
PCB - USD18
panel - USD20

andrewF
Divide & Conquer

PCB set = USD22
panel = USD20

This is a clock divider module containing 4 different dividers:

/2, /4, /8, /16, /32, /64, /128, /256
/1.5, /3
/2.5, /5
/3.5, /7

All sections will run off a signal patched into section 1.
The module can be patch-programmed to obtain other divisions. For example; patch output /2 into section 4 to get divide by 14 from the /7 output.
The circuit is CMOS based and contains no microprocessors.

rimbod
andrewF wrote:
No current plans, my modules-to-do list has me busy til deep 2019 so it might be a while.

This is profoundly exciting. I mean, the modules-to-do list.

Damn, you're a busy guy innovating amazingness.
indigoid
This is all very exciting

Also saw your euro bindubba seq post. How long? Will it be CV-addressable? hyper

Hope you're able to make some time for your own wiggling in between building and parenting Guinness ftw!
OlivierWah
Yes, NLC sequencers eurorack version could be so nice ! (like cellular automata seq eurorack ! grin).

Thanks for all that very original ideas grin.
andrewF
indigoid wrote:
This is all very exciting

Also saw your euro bindubba seq post. How long? Will it be CV-addressable? hyper

hopefully 2-3 weeks. Not CV-addressable, tho gates/triggers can be used to control x-y stepping, forwards and backwards/up and down plus (semi-) random jump.

indigoid wrote:

Hope you're able to make some time for your own wiggling in between building and parenting Guinness ftw!

Well I get to hear lots of farty sounds and something like an awesomely hacked speak'n'spell, so I'm not missing much w00t
OlivierWah
About the divide and conquer module : it's possible to put VCO in INs and use it to generate sub oscillator audio ?
n0rd
OlivierWah wrote:
About the divide and conquer module : it's possible to put VCO in INs and use it to generate sub oscillator audio ?

Yes, demo of it here (around the 1:40 mark):

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-divide-conquer-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/347317185" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Triggering drums (Doof, baDumTiss & Bong-0) with Divide and Conquer
0:32 Triggering drums with Divide and Conquer + NLC BOOLs
1:03 Triggering envelopes
1:38 Octaves (Audio rate division)
1:53 Other ratios (Audio rate division)
2:08 Chord-like drone (VCAs CV'ed with NLC Feague)

Guinness ftw!
Steve
Larrea
n0rd wrote:
OlivierWah wrote:

Stellar!

I love the 3 against 2 and other odd divisions in the earlier parts, and the non-octave audio rate divisions and drone are just glorious.
andrewF
n0rd wrote:

Guinness ftw!
Steve

Thanks Steve, great work.
OlivierWah
n0rd wrote:
OlivierWah wrote:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/347317185" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

Guinness ftw!
Steve

Thanks, very nice demo ! Audiorate division sounds really good razz.
n0rd
Just a quick Sly Grogan demo. Should get people the feel for what a "ringing envelope" sounds like.

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-sly-grogan-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/347645038" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Sly Grogan modulating Serious Filter.
0:46 Sly Grogan on Serious Filter and VCA.
1:17 Sly Grogan on Braids. (Timbre, Color and FM).
2:01 Sly Grogan on Plague of Demons. (FM Env & PWM)
2:33 Sly Grogan modulating Sheep and pan.
* I do some knob tweaking at times too. ie adjusting Attack, Release and Damp pots etc The "ringing" slow down or speed up etc

Guinness ftw!
Steve
OlivierWah
Wow, very nice on vca, and very cool use on pan !

You use all outputs ? Their are differences between all 4 outputs ?
n0rd
OlivierWah wrote:
are differences between all 4 outputs ?

OUT1, OUT2 and OUT3 are different.
OUT1 is a ringing env on a gate. (Mainly uni polar but dependent on settings)
OUT2 is ringing around 0. (Mainly bipolar).
OUT3 is a variant on OUT2.

OUT1 and the other output labelled OUT1 are the same. Like a free mult so you can patch it to two locations.

Details on demo:
0:00 Modulating Serious Filter
VCO --> Serious Filter BP --> VCA --> Mixer out

Divide and Conquer /4 --> Sly Grogan GATE
Sly Grogan OUT1 --> VCA CV
Sly Grogan OUT2 --> Serious Filter CV
* Plus manual tweaking of Sly's Attack, Release and Damp.

0:46 Sly Grogan on Serious Filter and VCA
VCO --> Serious Filter LP --> VCA --> Mixer out

Divide and Conquer /2 --> Env Trig
Divide and Conquer /8 --> Sly Grogan GATE
Divide and Conquer /16 --> Sly Grogan Damp CV (via attenuator)
Divide and Conquer /32 --> Sly Grogan A-R CV (via attenuator)

Env Out --> Sly Grogan Trig

Sly Grogan OUT1 --> Serious Filter CV
Sly Grogan OUT2 --> VCA CV

1:17 Sly Grogan on Braids
Divide and Conquer /16 --> Sly Grogan A-R CV (via attenuator)

Sly Grogan OUT1 --> Braids Timbre
Sly Grogan OUT2 --> Braids Color
Sly Grogan OUT3 --> Braids FM

2:01 Sly Grogan on Plague of Demons

Sly Grogan OUT1 --> Plague of Demons 1 Fm Env
Sly Grogan OUT1 --> Plague of Demons 2 Fm Env
Sly Grogan OUT2 --> Plague of Demons 1 PWM
Sly Grogan OUT3 --> Plague of Demons 2 PWM

VCO Sine --> Plague of Demons 1 & 2 Ext Mid

Plague of Demons 1 SAW --> Left
Plague of Demons 2 SAW --> Right

2:33 Sly Grogan modulating Sheep and pan
Divide and Conquer /16 --> Sly Grogan GATE

Sly Grogan OUT1 --> Sheep Row
Sly Grogan OUT2 --> Sheep Column
Sly Grogan OUT3 --> Pan position
* Plus manual tweaking of Sly's Attack and Release.
OlivierWah
n0rd wrote:
OlivierWah wrote:
are differences between all 4 outputs ?

OUT1, OUT2 and OUT3 are different.
OUT1 is a ringing env on a gate. (Mainly uni polar but dependent on settings)
OUT2 is ringing around 0. (Mainly bipolar).
OUT3 is a variant on OUT2.

OUT1 and the other output labelled OUT1 are the same. Like a free mult so you can patch it to two locations.

Thank for precisions, I understand more how you make the effect on pan grin. Seems to be a must have NLC module grin.
trip
Sly Grogan sounds great, having different but related cv outs of an envelope generator is a fucking great idea.

Nice demos again Steve.
maaaks
Great demo - thanks.

n0rd wrote:
Just a quick Sly Grogan demo. Should get people the feel for what a "ringing envelope" sounds like.

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-sly-grogan-demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/347645038" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Sly Grogan modulating Serious Filter.
0:46 Sly Grogan on Serious Filter and VCA.
1:17 Sly Grogan on Braids. (Timbre, Color and FM).
2:01 Sly Grogan on Plague of Demons. (FM Env & PWM)
2:33 Sly Grogan modulating Sheep and pan.
* I do some knob tweaking at times too. ie adjusting Attack, Release and Damp pots etc The "ringing" slow down or speed up etc

Guinness ftw!
Steve
n0rd
Demo of Hyperchaos Deluxe

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-hyperchaos-deluxe-d emo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/347767179" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Hyperchaos Deluxe on Serious Filter, OSC PWM and triggering Doof and baDumTiss.
1:17 Hyperchaos Deluxe on two filters (LP & BP) with gates triggering envelopes.
2:02 Hyperchaos Deluxe on Braids and Warps.
2:26 Hyperchaos Deluxe on Sheep, Filter and pan.
3:09 Hyperchaos Deluxe on Clouds.
3:54 Hyperchaos Deluxe on Elements.
5:10 Hyperchaos Deluxe VCA'ing eight audio signals with NLC Cluster. (Drone).

Guinness ftw!
Steve
fragster
n0rd wrote:
Demo of Hyperchaos Deluxe

Simply amazing.
rimbod
andrewF wrote:

I'm having a lot of fun playing with this! It's makin beautiful patterns on my O'Tool, and it's getting along well with my other modules.

I was wondering if I could get a run-down of what the lights signify.

Also.. erm.. what SGN means. Perhaps the "signum" of "signum switch"?

Oh, and one more thing. Are W, X, Y, and Z all independent, or are some of them combinations of each other? (like the Z on the new Sloths)

It's okay if this is all stuff meant to be left unsaid, I'm cool to figure out applications for everything, but I'd love to know the significance of the pretty lights in particular.
andrewF
The LEDs are actually integral parts of the switching circuits and are used to allow or block different channels. They are deliberately mixed up a bit on the panel, they will generally operate in pairs indicating whether sgn(x) and sgn(y) are 1 or 0.

Sgn(x) looks at the output x and gives the following:

sgn(x) = 1 if x>0, 0 if x=0, -1 if x<0

This controls the switching to give z or -z at the sgn(x) output.
Same for sgn(y), except it selects between x and -x.

W, X, Y, and Z are not exactly independent but are drawn from the 4 different integrator stages of the circuit, each of which has multiple feedback paths from other stages. So they are all related but different.
jimboburgess
Where can we find BOMs for these modules? Looking for divide and conquer specifically.
strange tales
Yessssss, I've been waiting for the Sly Grogan and the Hyperchaos++ is now on my list as well.

Any word when Modular Addict will have this stuff (as well as Triple Sloth PCBs)?

jimboburgess wrote:
Where can we find BOMs for these modules? Looking for divide and conquer specifically.

NLC wiki has the new modules stuff!
https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/wiki/doku.php?id=modules:list
andrewF
strange tales wrote:
Yessssss, I've been waiting for the Sly Grogan and the Hyperchaos++ is now on my list as well.

Any word when Modular Addict will have this stuff (as well as Triple Sloth PCBs)?

jimboburgess wrote:

NLC wiki has the new modules stuff!
https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/wiki/doku.php?id=modules:list

Pre oct 2017 build guides are HERE but will be eventually migrated over to the wiki.

Not sure when MA plan to order, Thonk will have new stuff in a week or so. If you buy PCBs and panels directly from me shipping as a regular airmail letter is USD5 for any sized order.
rimbod
andrewF wrote:
The LEDs are actually integral parts of the switching circuits and are used to allow or block different channels. They are deliberately mixed up a bit on the panel, they will generally operate in pairs indicating whether sgn(x) and sgn(y) are 1 or 0.

Sgn(x) looks at the output x and gives the following:

sgn(x) = 1 if x>0, 0 if x=0, -1 if x<0

This controls the switching to give z or -z at the sgn(x) output.
Same for sgn(y), except it selects between x and -x.

W, X, Y, and Z are not exactly independent but are drawn from the 4 different integrator stages of the circuit, each of which has multiple feedback paths from other stages. So they are all related but different.

Brilliant! Thank you:)
maaaks
I've been loving my Sly Grogan and hyperchaos so far (still got the arseq to finish)

However, I've just managed to do the ole power round the wrong way trick with my segue d'oh!

The two 10Ohm resistors went up, and I kind of hoped that'd be it, but I've replaced them, reinserted the power *the correct way* and it's just done exactly the same thing and burnt out the 10Ohms again.

I've now replaced the 10uf caps too, but same thing.

Any suggestions as to what I've fried? Something must have shorted right?
andrewF
assuming there is no other problem, the only thing that might have been damaged would be the TL074, lucky its thru-hole
Normally if you unplug the module quickly when the 10 Ohm resistors start to smoke, the chips are ok, but you may have been unlucky.

Easiest way to test is remove the 074 and plug it in.

These days I install Schottky diodes instead of 10R. Cathode pointing towards the power connector on the negative rail and anode for the positive rail. Use ones with a 1A rating or more and lowest V-on you can find. If you plug it in backwards, nothing happens w00t
maaaks
andrewF wrote:
assuming there is no other problem, the only thing that might have been damaged would be the TL074...

w00t and I'm back in business - thanks Andrew!
OlivierWah
I receive my Plague of demons and made this short track.
The PoD is modulated just with 8 bit cipher (great combo) and some outputs go in RES-4. (RES-4 is modulated with VCO-6 and PoD).
I really love the huge wide range of sounds available, a killer VCO !

[s]https://soundcloud.com/bruyance/papibrique-briquenoise08[/s]
OlivierWah
I already love it

http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.fr/2017/11/bindubba-sequencer-eurora ck-version.html
n0rd
Quick Bindubba Sequencer demo:

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-bindubba-sequencer- demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/357063938" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Simple 4 step to 32+ step sequence using D&C (Divider and Conquer) OUTs into various Bindubba INs.
0:51 Various D&C outs into Bindubba INs (Jump, Direction etc).
1:29 Triple Sloth into both Bindubba Direction INs.
1:58 Using D&C + Bindubba GATE outs to trig drums and envelopes.
2:55 Using D&C + Bindubba GATE outs to trig Env/VCAs (+ Triple Sloth into Bindubba Jump and Direction INs towards end).

Miley Cyrus
Steve
OlivierWah
Very cool, I search to sell my doble pressures points + brains to get this one. Gates outputs are amazing.
uuav
n0rd
Ok thank you, I was looking for a good excuse for a new case. meh Awesome demo.
devslashnull
n0rd wrote:
Quick Bindubba Sequencer demo:

https://soundcloud.com/subconsciousinclination/nlc-bindubba-sequencer- demo

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/357063938" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=true&show_comments=true&show_user =true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="300" iframe="true" /]

0:00 Simple 4 step to 32+ step sequence using D&C (Divider and Conquer) OUTs into various Bindubba INs.
0:51 Various D&C outs into Bindubba INs (Jump, Direction etc).
1:29 Triple Sloth into both Bindubba Direction INs.
1:58 Using D&C + Bindubba GATE outs to trig drums and envelopes.
2:55 Using D&C + Bindubba GATE outs to trig Env/VCAs (+ Triple Sloth into Bindubba Jump and Direction INs towards end).

Miley Cyrus
Steve

Lots of great sounds, what else features is in this demo?
n0rd
devslashnull wrote:
Lots of great sounds, what else features is in this demo?

I didn't write many patch notes at all this time around. I just meant to demo some of the patterns you can get when combining Bindubba with D&C (Divide and Conquer).

All of the examples involve Bindubba receiving a bunch of OUTs from D&C and a few have Bindubba getting CV from Sloth etc. Pitch notes are quantized with Ornament and Crime. VCO used PoD (Plague of Demons), CEM3340, Braids and Sheep. VCF used Serious Filter, FK1T, Ripples. Other modules: BOOLs, 8bit Cipher, Sloth, Hyperchaos, Triad, Quadra, Shades, Doof, baDumTiss, Peaks... and... lots of VCAs.
andrewF
n0rd wrote:

All of the examples involve Bindubba receiving a bunch of OUTs from D&C and a few have Bindubba getting CV from Sloth etc. Pitch notes are quantized with Ornament and Crime. VCO used PoD (Plague of Demons), CEM3340, Braids and Sheep. VCF used Serious Filter, FK1T, Ripples. Other modules: BOOLs, 8bit Cipher, Sloth, Hyperchaos, Triad, Quadra, Shades, Doof, baDumTiss, Peaks... and... lots of VCAs.

photo!!! hyper
n0rd
andrewF wrote:
photo!!! hyper

Now then... where did I put that Flux Capacitor??

Dead Banana
n0rd
Found it!
Hmm, doesn't seem to be working...

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 8