MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What does your Ambient rack look like?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author What does your Ambient rack look like?
rustyjaw
atte wrote:
rustyjaw wrote:
I describe the music I make as ambient, but there is so much territory covered under that name. I tend to aim for lighter rather than dark, melodic rather than atonal or disonant, and lately doing more drone styles, although I also like enveloped/plucked tones.

Sounds exactly like my music, so I had to check your youtube out. hyper Turns out it's a bit different, but I like it alot! Thanks for sharing!

Haha, cool. Thanks. I'll have to check out your stuff now. As the famous quote says, "writing about music is like dancing about architecture"
pirxthepilot
wildfrontiers wrote:

My current system. Having 2x Clouds is great. I usually have one running in granular mode and one in looping delay mode, though I'm a big fan of the Oliverb, Resonator and the Time-Stretching/Pitch-Shifting mode. The looping delay mode on the lower quality settings is fantastic. Longer delay times with feedback can get some Basinski-esque tape degradation sounds. I like the sound of the overdrive/distortion when gain is all the way up. The texture knob becomes a filter and it's useful for shaping the tone of the distortion. Can get Jefre Cantu-Ledesma-like sounds.

The Doepfer A-189-1 is a beaut. Dunst is great.

Thanks for sharing. I'm an r beny fan smile

I'm torn between getting a Lofi Junky module vs. the pedal version. Do you find much use in modulating its parameters?
mafgar
how do y'all like Three Sisters? not many good videos of it by itself.
starthief
mafgar wrote:
how do y'all like Three Sisters? not many good videos of it by itself.

I love both the sound and the features. thumbs up There's not really anything I would change.

In fact, I kind of want a "half-sister" module too -- the lowpass from Three Sisters, but set up as a mildly resonant LPG. TS works nicely for that with the Q setting at about one o'clock, but when I use it that way I can't also use it for something else hihi I don't feel like I need two Three Sisters in my small setup just to get that, though.
Swain Voorman
stripes wrote:
I make pretty much only the kind of music that you're describing with my modular setup : ) ...
But I think for the most part, ambient is how you tell the modular to play. I'm sure a lot people could use my setup to make very upbeat music, and I could make ambient music with a rack that someone uses for mostly only techno or upbeat stuff.

Thanks for sharing your setup! I've been very inspired with your modular videos and love the vibe that you're creating using your gear. I'm hoping to develop a rack that fits in a similar universe.
pines
Nice stuff, rustyjaw. I'm def going to have to look into the SMR.
wildfrontiers
pirxthepilot wrote:

I'm torn between getting a Lofi Junky module vs. the pedal version. Do you find much use in modulating its parameters?

I mostly find myself modulating Speed and being able to put other waveforms (or audio) into the Ext. in is pretty fun. I do wish it had the tone knob the pedal had, but overall I dig it. It's a fun module.
captjrab
Digging the sounds on this thread!
My set up is in the below signature. I'm into soundscape/collage stuff that's kind of like ambient with some noise and a motorik beat thrown in. I like a good melody but also like some mind bending pychedelia as well. I love the flexibility of modular. I used to do a similar kind of experiment with a half dozen dictaphones filled with 30 second loop tapes, found sounds and lofi jam space recordings pumped into fx and mixed which was very unpredictable and hit or miss, but of course sometimes the goddess of synchronicity would be on my side. So the modular is a super fancy-schmance vehichle to the same ends of music composition and deconstruction.
The DLD has been really fun. I love messing with the reverse gate in on voices for decimating human language. I've only scratched the surface but could probably do an entire gig with just that and PEG. I dont go for the stereo or blending thing. For me it gets a bit mucky. I prefer two loops that are related and can be layered nicely.
Latest Ustream B Cast:
http://ustre.am/mHrb
SMR, Rings, Clouds, Phonogene, PGH Analog Delay and Phase Shifter and lots of EG's, in fact I want more EG's so I never run out or have to mult any of em.
pirxthepilot
wildfrontiers wrote:
pirxthepilot wrote:

I mostly find myself modulating Speed and being able to put other waveforms (or audio) into the Ext. in is pretty fun. I do wish it had the tone knob the pedal had, but overall I dig it. It's a fun module.

That actually makes it even harder for me to decide which one to get, haha.

Thanks!
DDJ
Loving this thread.

I'm pretty new to this and am starting finally realize that the trick is to use attenuated modulation. Especially on clouds.

I've had a patch playing out for the past 24 hours with a short sequence going into a precision adder(disting), with a clocked/vc attenuated nanorand controlling the octaves subtly/randomly. That goes into a clouds in looping mode with modulation on texture. Modulated Dunst through modulated ripples is providing cave drips. I could listen to this patch forever.

EDIT 1 : here's my rack. I do melodic ambient as well as some synth-pop stuff. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/412951
kenosis
Great thread and some killer sounds as well. I love to create ambient patches as well... more on the lines of Tribes of Neurot mixed with lots of mangled and modulated voice samples. Here's my set up (minue the Morphagene, Telharmonic, and RCD...all of which are on the way or preordered).

starthief
nevermind, posted in the wrong thread.
ignatius
http://www.cratekings.com/as-606-ambient-sequencer-brick/

|pride|
ignatius wrote:
http://www.cratekings.com/as-606-ambient-sequencer-brick/

Any info on when it will be available again? I need two of these ... sad banana
BonJoey
As a newcomer to modular world, this thread has been extremely useful and inspiring.
needspeed
Machine music random on random never quite know what will happen next.....Steve

Details: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/406841

needspeed
Mod plz delete
DDJ
Here's the ambient patch I was describing above.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/313125608" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
BonJoey
Here's the current state of my rack. It's been changing a lot lately though. Trying to use more random gates and things to generate the ambient stuff instead of traditional sequencing.

I still have an sq-1 and a lil' skiff of extra modules including a Rene that I can break out if I need to sequence things.

pines
Love the setup needspeed! I'm pairing a Make Noise system with a vintage 2600.
needspeed
pines wrote:
Love the setup needspeed! I'm pairing a Make Noise system with a vintage 2600.

Thank you for the complement.

A vintage 2600 is an aspiration of mine and good on you for having one to work with.

The TTSH is really a lot of fun and not having a real one, I don't know what I am missing.

I love mixing east and west coast and Make Noise (DPO on its way!!!) is high on my list as well as I need more Serge and MI modules. Just finished and stood up my Klee sequencer and am loving that....Steve
pines
The TTSH is probably every bit as good as the ARP... so the main thing that you might be missing is the anxiety of wondering when some 40 year old component is going to fail.

I bought the ARP new in 1980.
needspeed
pines wrote:
The TTSH is probably every bit as good as the ARP... so the main thing that you might be missing is the anxiety of wondering when some 40 year old component is going to fail.

I bought the ARP new in 1980.

That is really awesome that you bought it from new as it is a mind blowing synth now, it must have been like landing on the moon back then.

At least there are a few really great techs around that have a deep understandig and ability to keep those original 2600s running for many more years.

All it takes is money Mr. Green
pines
Yeah, my wife at the time (she has passed on to the other side) was in Art School at Yale, and I was more or less unemployed... i.e playing in some punk bands in New Haven. I bought the 2600 when ARP went out of business. A local music store had a couple and blew them out for $1,000.00 bucks each. I got one of them. My wife and I were flat broke, but scraped together the cash.... we had to eat Ramen and potato soup for a couple of months. So this particular 2600 has a lot of sentimental value, and will be with me till the end.
DDJ
^^^ Oh man, that is a beautiful story!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 2 of 7