MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What does your Ambient rack look like?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author What does your Ambient rack look like?
Infinity Curve

Mostly dark ambient and noise coming out of this. Drones and glitchy soundscapes, 80's horror movie soundtracks and shit. Rarely sequence, mostly lets the erd's and Kermit drive the bus

Also have a black locust and Evin 209 in a lunchbox hooked up to a bunch of pedals for processing or feedback experiments.

Thats it as far as euro goes, although the second SIR is in the mail now.
Tumulishroomaroom
This must looks (and must be) wild.
Infinity Curve
Definitely. I also swapped all of the knobs on the harvestman modules to the mkII ones Mr. Green
Phase47
Love to read/hear about stories like that, pines!
InnnerSight
This is my portable rack for creating drones, its getting its first outing at a noise jam this weekend.
stripes
Swain Voorman wrote:
stripes wrote:
I make pretty much only the kind of music that you're describing with my modular setup : ) ...
But I think for the most part, ambient is how you tell the modular to play. I'm sure a lot people could use my setup to make very upbeat music, and I could make ambient music with a rack that someone uses for mostly only techno or upbeat stuff.

Thanks for sharing your setup! I've been very inspired with your modular videos and love the vibe that you're creating using your gear. I'm hoping to develop a rack that fits in a similar universe.

hey thanks : )

to respond to the Roland Demora VS DLD question, I think a lot of people who have the DLD, including myself, also use it as a "looper" in some patches. It really has so many applications beyond just stereo delay, which is is also great at. But I think the point of it was to take a digital delay and really in 4ms fashion make it into something that was truly unique and could be used for much more. That flexibility makes it much more valuable to me as a module. But also, I currently have 3 delays, and a Clouds that occasionally gets used as a delay. I love delay.

Another note : I picked up a DPO because one of my friends had a short instagram clip of it making the most beautiful weird little forest sounds, and despite the wealth of crazy knob cranking FM techno videos of it online, I decided to try for myself. It ended up replacing my elements. w00t

BonJoey
stripes wrote:

Another note : I picked up a DPO because one of my friends had a short instagram clip of it making the most beautiful weird little forest sounds, and despite the wealth of crazy knob cranking FM techno videos of it online, I decided to try for myself. It ended up replacing my elements. w00t

Well that was great, and pretty much the exact opposite of every DPO video I've seen so far.
Futuresound
What a great thread. Very cool setups in here, and it's cool to match up some of my favorite people on youtube with posters here smile

stripes, is your MI stuff really broken out into it's own case, or is that an artifact of Modulargrid?

jwm, how are you using the Precision Adder? I've had this feeling like I need that module for ages, but I can't quite figure out why.
Phase47
stripes wrote:
i

Link to the Instagram video? I like forest sounds smile
pines
The Wooden Sounds video makes me glad that I am getting a DPO.... so much of the online demo stuff makes it seem like it only wants to do very hard edge soundscapes. Thanks.
SynthEnergy

Hope this works. First time trying to upload a picture.

The Morphagene and Disting are forthcoming. In the Morphagene's place at the moment is a Kilpatrick Pattern Generator. My case is a Station 252 and I have a Moog skiff not present here that houses the SMR, Model 41, and a few others.

I've just reached my first year with Eurorack and have enjoyed the journey immensely. Over the next few months I'm planning an ambient album with just this system and an Analog 4, with some pitch shifting from PitchFactor, delays from Timeline, and reverbs from Space and Bigsky.

I suspect I'll have more to share down the road as far as methodologies and what not. Still navigating the equipment. [/url]
christian10992
I'm just getting started with modular (beyond my MS20).

This is what I've put together in hopes to do mainly drone and some less melodic ambient stuff.

Please feel free to give some feedback. I've been studying and reading as much as I can on modular for a few months now, and I'm always open to new ideas and suggestions from more experienced people.

I actually switched that ADSR out for two 2hp ADSR modules, but for some reason the updated picture won't work.

mt3

Ambient.
franman69
Pretty much like this....

mt3
franman69 wrote:
Pretty much like this....

Immediately clicks on your custom case build thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165091&highlight=
stripes
glad you all like that DPO example. here is the instagram video my friend made that convinced me to get one - https://www.instagram.com/p/BEchX89gHla/?taken-by=pwranml

Futuresound wrote:

stripes, is your MI stuff really broken out into it's own case, or is that an artifact of Modulargrid?

the single 104hp row is my make noise skiff. i just set it right on top of my main case. i change it around a lot, but like to keep modules from the same makers next to each other just for the aesthetic of it. i am actually about a week away from getting a custom 6U Dark Modular case that derrick is building for me. Baby blue tolex love
pines
Nice looking case Franman69!
void23
I never intended to do ambient stuff when I first got into Euro, it's just what keeps coming out of this stuff. My daughter calls it, "galaxy music". wink

The key modules for me are --

A good wavetable VCO; I have the Erica Synths wavetable. A sample and hold scanning through the wavetables along with some bit reduction and going through a reverb creates a great "airy" voice.

The Wasp; throw a rich analog VCO though it and it's magic for rhythmic, droning bass lines.

EMW Alias; bought it because I thought it would be a good, crappy VCO. Unfortunately, it was bad enough for what I wanted, but set it to one of the lower harmonic waveforms and it's the ultimate sub-bass tone to root any drone together. It's so small and so cheap, everyone should have one for a sub-osc.

Chord and Morpheus, the ultimate combo.

Clouds, everyone has one but put Parasites on it for Oliverb mode.
somatikon

Current setup that was twice the size several months back and now is much healthier.

I did a soundcloud ambient / experimental project in 2016 called Modular Musings that you can hear here....https://soundcloud.com/digitalvoices/sets/modular-musings

A selection of these musings did form the structure of a collaborative music release with ambient musician Anthony Paul Kerby called "Falling into Place" that can be heard here....https://dataobscura.bandcamp.com/album/falling-into-place

Hi Taylor & Don
risome
Cant any system do ambient ,,isn't that the beauty of modular getting it to produce just about any sound imagined or unimagined even with small systems .One might need an FX module as a neccesity though for ambience(sic) Miley Cyrus
Conrad
risome wrote:
Cant any system do ambient ,,isn't that the beauty of modular getting it to produce just about any sound imagined or unimagined even with small systems .One might need an FX module as a neccesity though for ambience(sic) Miley Cyrus

Well the whole reason there are so many different modules is because they do different things and sound different. I had a sound in mind when making the post, so I wanted to see how others were making it. A system designed to be a growly monosynth would likely not make what I;m thinking of very well.

I see where you're coming from, though. Ambient is a way of thinking and making music as much as it is something to plan your rack around. That's sort of what I was getting at when I asked about wigglers' favorite modules for ambient in their racks. I wanted to hear why those were their favorite, and how they use those modules in making ambient music.
DonaldCrunk
I call what I do 'ambient' simply because it lacks drums, but it's more steppy-modulation heavy type of sound I guess. I rely a lot on delay via an aux send on a mixer, usually a pedal.

for a while it looked like this -

nowadays it looks like this -
somatikon
Conrad wrote:
risome wrote:

Well the whole reason there are so many different modules is because they do different things and sound different. I had a sound in mind when making the post, so I wanted to see how others were making it. A system designed to be a growly monosynth would likely not make what I;m thinking of very well.

I see where you're coming from, though. Ambient is a way of thinking and making music as much as it is something to plan your rack around. That's sort of what I was getting at when I asked about wigglers' favorite modules for ambient in their racks. I wanted to hear why those were their favorite, and how they use those modules in making ambient music.

On appearance any of the modulars show here are no different from many other systems that are used to create all sorts of styles of music.....as Conrad said ambient is a way of thinking, a state of mind and this changes how you approach music making especially with a modular that by nature loves to create sonic mayhem.

Ambient music creation on a modular requires dedication to a certain quietness as well as the ability to be able to patch in a subtle way that reflects this which can be quiet challenging.
SoundChaser
great thread ... learning a lot / Mr. Green
Waredgo
I do ambient works and post at www.ambientvibes.com
This is what my rack contains:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/384287

For ambient-type sounds, I use my SMR, Clouds and Chord a lot, modulated by a Batumi and other LFO's Starting to use Turning Machine loops from Music Modular and O&C to add in subtle melodies in the background. I'm finding that adding in in/out to/from my DAW plugins is best for getting the poly voices. I use a CDR70 pedal, Z-DSP and BigSky for the ambient effects as well as a couple of Pico DSP's for voice-specific effects.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 3 of 7