MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What does your Ambient rack look like?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author What does your Ambient rack look like?
dooj88
i noticed aside from peaks and maths, there aren't many different kinds of envelope generators in your guys racks.

and for complex envelopes, i think i only saw one quadra/expander. i've gotten a lot of great ambient stuff out of my rack without complex envelopes as well. i have gotten a lot of mileage out of complex LFOs, and the new pams workout has a ton of modulation options. but i feel like an EG like the new qu-bit contour (or just go crazy spending money i don't have and go for erogenous tones RADAR..)might open up new areas to explore. but i'm having trouble deciding on that or something like batumi. thoughts on pluses and minuses of an EG vs LFO?
Conrad
Most of my patches so far have mostly utilized rings and the 0-coast, which don't really need any help with envelopes. I also use the built in one on braids a good amount. Beyond that, a lot of droney ambient doesn't really make much use of envelopes. I have been considering getting more, though.
poorness
I didn't really build my rack to be an ambient instrument but I seem to be gravitating more that way. I used this setup...

to make this piece (and several others)...

I've made a couple changes to the rack since that video was made but they're minor. I'm pretty happy with it overall.

EDIT: fixed broken image
wsy
Here's what I'm having lots of fun with right now. Yeah, it has "drums". And no reverb (but it does have three channels of
delay- a Chronoblob and a DPLR).

No Mysteron, no Telharmonic, no Pressure Pants nor Renee nor [[EDIT]] Tempi. But I'm liking it a whole lot this way.

- Bill
anselmi
2disbetter
Love this.

This is what I'm going for:
The Goal

and this is what I currently have:
Current

or sans the row power 30 in the top rack:

The rack is light on effects because I feel like wasting rack space for them is a waste. Both the octatrack and a4 have effects, and if I need more I'd rather get a dedicated effects unit (a la Big Sky).

Elektron gear integrates well and the modular really just completes slams the door wide open to whatever you're looking for.

Nothing yet to share in terms of music, but loving all the info on this thread!!!

2d
Foghorn
I guess you could call this an ambient rack as I mostly do generative patches, and I like slowly evolving stuff with just a little strange syncopation.

Why did I buy so many modules at once very frustrating

I usually have 5 or 6 voices that are slowly moving in and out of the picture.

This picture is pretty old and I bought an EP-420 to replace the 360.

This is the base as it is now.Foghorns base on modgrid

As for the top I replaced the EP-360 with an EP-420 that I installed a 125HP by 1U row into the bottom of the case.
Foghorns top rack EP-420 with a 1U row installed

Foghorn

EDIT: update links, twice
PS: I am now building a percussion and clock rack in an EP-360 case that will sit where the EP-360 is now located.
The rest of the rig is in an EP-420 rack to the side.
Conrad
Foghorn
love drool
I'd like to ask, how well does rings pair with warps? I've been thinking of adding a warps to my case, as a way to combine rings' more organic sounds with crazy TZFM and waveshaping.
Foghorn
I have Parasite installed in Warps and I love the features.
As far as pairing it with Rings, well I like Rings used alone for clean sounds and especially the chords it (sounds like) it can play.

Warps (with Parasite) has some great delays and I especially like the Slapback Ping Pong delay.
But I usually do not use it with Rings unless I am using Rings to process sound from another source.
You can get some gritty sounds (well unique sounds) from Rings when it is used a signal processor.
Warps works wonders with gritty or unique sounds. (words sometimes escape me)

Rings "in" jack allows access to a very powerful sound processor.
It is a little like using the input on Elements in that they are both a resonator of sorts, but I think Rings may be even cooler as a sound processor than Elements.
To answer your question, the stock firmware in Warps would probably be fun to use with Rings.
Rings has Odd and Even outputs which may work well if both were plugged into Warps inputs and used with crossfade or crossfolding or the 2 ring modulation modes.
Either way I think you would like Warps.
Warps gets way cooler with the Parasite firmware.
I have seen a bunch of people say they were not impressed with Warps Parasite firmware including a buddy of mine.
That is when I realized that he was making an error that I suspect many have made.
Warps with Parasite changes modes a little different than stock Warps firmware.
Stock Warps firmware changes modes by turning the big knob.
To change modes in Parasite Warps, you have to press the button and then use the big knob to choose the mode.
After that the big button just modifies the mode you have chosen.

My buddy was stuck in one mode and just turning the big button to sweep through the different effects of that one mode.
He thought that he was sweeping through all the Parasite Warps features.
And oops.. I did that for several hours when I first Parasitized Warps.
I really like Rings and Warps, but especially Warps parasite.

I hope this all makes sense to you, I sometimes have trouble getting my point across.

Foghorn

Edit: fix many mistakes and add some stuff so it all makes more sense.

PS. I hope no one else makes the mistake that I did and buy 20K worth of modules in their first year. Too confusing and way too much to learn that quickly.
MoogCloud
Anyway, I was wondering if any ambient music makers would post their setups and talk a little about their favorite modules or aspects of the rig. I am a great admirer of artists like r beny and fourhexagons (AKA Lightbath), and they represent some of my main eurorack inspirations and goals.

Thanks for your help and input!

(edit: I am interested generally to hear about ambient producers' racks; I'm not just looking for suggestions for my rack specifically.)[/quote]

This has been one of my favorite posts in a while. My interest is in making ambient soundscapes and the examples posted have been inspirational. The discussions, both pro and con, of various modules and the part they play in the musician's creations have been informative. That is why Muffs is one of the "go to" places for friendly advice, inspirational performances, and expert opinion.

Thanks!
applause
modlys
Hi guys.
My first post here, after years of lurking (and learning!)

I think you could use any kind of module for ambient/drone/etc. I like sine waves, delay, reverb and granular synthesis mixed with "organic" sounds (field recordings, casio keyboard, guitar, toys etc etc.... Also i like to use a looper. I also think the stereo field is important, as well as different frequencies to fill out the spectre of sound as desired.

You can see my gear in the two attached photos (dont know why they wont embed??)

It's peanut butter jelly time!
natureclubcassettes

I make a lot of Reich/Eastman/Budd inspired minimalist music. this thread has me still lusting after the Morphagene, Dual Looping Delay, SMR, 189... [/img]
sauce
My guy

[s]http://soundcloud.com/strange_haze/d_zone[/s]
And some ambient thing I done with it.
soundslikejoe
Fun thread. I like Ambient jams... This is what I'm using.

and

.... and an Octatrack. I'm not very good at using them all together though. It tends to be one case, or the other, or the Octatrack. Haven't been able to control them all at once very well.
hmmm.....
poorness
modlys wrote:

I think you could use any kind of module for ambient/drone/etc. I like sine waves, delay, reverb and granular synthesis mixed with "organic" sounds (field recordings, casio keyboard, guitar, toys etc etc.... Also i like to use a looper. I also think the stereo field is important, as well as different frequencies to fill out the spectre of sound as desired.

You can see my gear in the two attached photos

First of all... great vids. Loved the soundscapes! Second, I really like that axe. Looks like a lawsuit 335 copy with a wraptail (nice touch), a Duncan neck PU, and an EMG (or something similar) in the bridge. Probably sounds awesome... thumbs up
Tumulishroomaroom
For those of you who have Qu-Bit Chord, how do you like it, especially for ambient ?

I looks very enticing
Many thanks !
modlys
poorness wrote:
modlys wrote:

You can see my gear in the two attached photos

First of all... great vids. Loved the soundscapes! Second, I really like that axe. Looks like a lawsuit 335 copy with a wraptail (nice touch), a Duncan neck PU, and an EMG (or something similar) in the bridge. Probably sounds awesome... thumbs up

Thanks poorness.
Its a great guitar. Not very sought after. Its an eighties Ibanez artist. Cant really remember the model no. now. but i think they where going after a budget jazz-type guitar. it has great action, and sounds very decent....
the PU's where already in the guitar when i bought it second hand - 2 decades ago. I used to play in punk-rock bands mostly on Gibson SG's, which i later sold...and i kept this one because of the amazing action and versatility :-)
esko997
Have loved watching this thread and reading along with what everyone is doing -- very inspiring.

I'm not sure if I make ambient music, as I have a hard time defining what that genre is exactly, but it feels ambient to me. hihi

This is my current rack and an example of some of the stuff I'm doing with it:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/thedeadlives/thunder-klang[/s]

Hoping to pick up a Hertz Donut mk2, a VC8, some more envelope generators, and some more complex modulation to facilitate more simultaneous voices.

I use the O_c paired with the Octone a lot for chord sequencing and then use random voltages/S&H for melodies. The Tempi is usually clocking most things and I use the Mod input to move the ordering of the patch around while still keeping it related to a master clock. I also end up using the Optomix as a CV VCA a lot of the time too. When using the strike input with a clock that is not predictable it sometimes feels a bit like a white noise sample and hold (depending on what CV is being fed in).

I also agree with the general discussion regarding making ambient music on the modular feels like more of an approach than a task for certain modules. I do lots of other stuff in this same rack, that is not what I would call ambient at all.

Great stuff everyone! applause
JonathanBedrava
It looks something like this:

I don't know if it's strictly limited to ambient, but that's what I've been using it for. The DPO is a pretty good choice for the main VCO... I wish the tuning pots weren't so easy to knock astray. The Morphagene ends up being a powerful tool for livening up the sound in fun and unexpected ways. Coupled with the MMG and the Erbe Verb, I find myself "exploring" for hours. I know it drives my wife crazy.

Here's a live example of using it for some dark, grainy ambient. The only difference is that after recording I swapped the Intelligel Linix for a Wogglebug + LxD:

[/img]
dp
been following this thread with fervent interest, such great ideas and music.

JonathanBedrava wrote:

Here's a live example of using it for some dark, grainy ambient. The only difference is that after recording I swapped the Intelligel Linix for a Wogglebug + LxD:

[/img]

really loving your set, it's the kind of ambient I really like. That delicate mix of dark and light.

I just got my DPO today and was a bit worried that it would sound too harsh but after a couple of hours I'm really liking all the possibilities/layers/textures it can create.

heres my current setup,

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/465735 also have an 0-coast Phenol and Koma Field kit (which is great for low fi textures and using the piezo mics to trigger things).

Been very kindly leant the René and Braids whilst I try to work out a way to sequence things as my original plan was to use Reaktor / Cv toolkit, but the whole aggregate audio card (es-8 + apollo twin) thing is not as seamless as i'd hoped

Still very much early days.
JonathanBedrava
dp wrote:
really loving your set, it's the kind of ambient I really like. That delicate mix of dark and light.

I just got my DPO today and was a bit worried that it would sound too harsh but after a couple of hours I'm really liking all the possibilities/layers/textures it can create.

Thanks! I too was more than a little intimidated by the DPO, but once I learned how to tame it's become almost indispensable. Your rack looks pretty cool too! I'm thinking of swapping the 4ms pingable LFOs with a Batumi. Is that a wise plan, you think?
dp
JonathanBedrava wrote:

I'm thinking of swapping the 4ms pingable LFOs with a Batumi. Is that a wise plan, you think?

Ha I'm very new to all this so can't really comment but i'm finding batumi to be very powerful.
Conrad
JonathanBedrava wrote:

[/img]

Awesome! Are you sequencing this from the LFSR in CopierMaschine? Or from somewhere else?

also, one of the first things I think I would try with that rack would be to run the chronoblob feedback through the erbe-verb, does that sound AWESOME?
Struggle
Loving this thread!

So many Chronoblobs up in here. I have 20hp open and thinking one of those and a Lo-fi Junky to fill it. 4ms looping delay sounds amazing too though hmmm.....
Reckless_Experimenter

And here is the ambient drone track I made with this setup
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/323838258" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 4 of 7