MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Did-it-my-dang-self Modular Cabinet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Did-it-my-dang-self Modular Cabinet
chromium
I've wanted a frequency shifter for a long time, and boy those things can get 'spensive! I was eyeballin one of those Encore FS mainly from a cost standpoint, and the fact that it is still analog where it counts.

Well I ended up winning a used one off Ebay a while back, and here it has sat butt-naked on my studio desk, hooked up to a bench power supply ever since!

I thought about getting a 5u SKB rack or something (the FS is MOTM format), but I'm always a sucker for woodgrain! I had picked up a little routing table for my other projects, and although I'm still kind of a spaz with power tools, I decided to take a chance building my own mini-modular cabinet. I built it out of oak, and sort of tounge-and-grooved it together with the router to avoid having any screws outwardly visible.

I made my share of goofs, but that's what wood putty is for, right? SlayerBadger! The wood ran me about $35, and for the blank panels, I just cut up some old 19" black-anodized aluminum blanks used on computer server racks.

I still need to install power. I ended up doing something very similar to Muff's how-to up above. I bought a used Power-one industrial supply for $20, plug, a resettable circuit breaker, and a power switch. I plan to mount the external facing stuff on the back, on a small aluminum panel (probably "recessed", by mounting it from the inside). I picked up some of the appropriate AMP connectors too, so I can make a little distribution block inside.

I built this thing relatively small since that FS is my only module so far. This will be my "signal processing" cabinet. I'll probably add some sort of signal mixer/multiplexer, and I'd love to get one of those CS-80 filter repros someday as well. Is this how it all begins? On the off chance this leads to more, this cabinet would fit perfectly atop one of those slanted dot com cabinets. Pure coincidence. twisted
Kent
Hey, that's some really nice work there. I'm quite impressed and I envy your woodworking skills. I sure wish I had some!
Cybananna
congratulations. looks like a nice start!

"on the off chance this leads to more" ha ha!

modulars are the crack of the music world. you are already an addict, my friend. yes, that is how it all starts.

wouldn't modules be more useful than those blank panels? and how about one of these, or those! before you know it, you will have a wall of jacks, knobs, and little blinking lights (and an empty wallet).
sandyb
good job Joe!
that's a really nice little cabinet you've made there and a great module to start with. of course it won't stay empty for long... smile

sandy
neandrewthal
It's gorgeous love
BugBrand
chromium wrote:
... although I'm still kind of a spaz with power tools...

....I made my share of goofs, but ...

What?! Lies!

That's really freaking nice!
Good work.
JohnLRice
That looks really nice! great job! Maybe some nice rubber feet for the bottom? and maybe . . stick a Tellun Neural Aganizer reverb in there if the tanks will fit . . and an Oakley Envelope follower Gate extractor . . .and an Oakley Equinox phaser and a MultiMix . . .and you'll still have room for the MOTM-480 SD-80 filter clone you want hyper but . . . dang! d'oh! all out of room! Better buildd a second one! hyper hyper

JUst FYI: In July 2008 I decided all I really need to have one of those Moog 960 sequencer clones like the Q960 from Synthesizers.com and one thing led to another and now only two months later I own 15 MOTM modules, have two more I paid for (waiting arrival) and another on hold and I'm planning to buy about 4 more. (not to mention the two cabinets and power supply stuff I bought) Additionally I have a Tellun Neural Agonizer, MFOS sequencer and Oakley Little lag circuit boards sitting here waiting to be contructed. AND I plan on adding another cabinet to hold the Q960 sequencer, Q962 Sequential Switch and probably the Moon Modular M564 Sequential Switch and maybe the M563 Trigger Sequencer. The 4th cabinet will house the MFOS sequencer I havent' built yet and any other DOTCOM, COTK, MOTM items that I think I can't live without! hyper help Smash! lock w00t hyper

So . . . be very very careful! nodnod
fonik
that looks like a very nice piece of craftsmanship. i like the shape and the proportions of that cabinet very much. good job!
consumed
thats a nice lookin little cabinet!
wetterberg
Very nice work. Will you do commission work? smile
Cat-A-Tonic
Looks gorgeous. we're not worthy
I hope mine turns out half that nice.
Freq. Shifters are DRROOOOLLL. Drunken Homer Simpson
wetterberg
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
Looks gorgeous. we're not worthy
I hope mine turns out half that nice.
Freq. Shifters are DRROOOOLLL.
whimsically humorous?
zerosum
Very nice! we're not worthy
eyehue
very sleek!

Coffee Addiction FTW
chromium
Thanks all! haha yeah thank god I'm really good at exercising restraint, and not prone to obsessive compulsions... hyper help

JohnLRice wrote:
That looks really nice! great job! Maybe some nice rubber feet for the bottom? and maybe . . stick a Tellun Neural Aganizer reverb in there if the tanks will fit . . and an Oakley Envelope follower Gate extractor . . .and an Oakley Equinox phaser and a MultiMix . . .and you'll still have room for the MOTM-480 SD-80 filter clone you want hyper but . . . dang! d'oh! all out of room! Better buildd a second one! hyper hyper

Hey stop that! Mr. Green Those all look soooooo cool!! Voltage controlled reverb?!? love
Muff Wiggler
wow!! that's crazy nice... seriously looks to me like the work of an exerienced carpenter, not someone who is a 'spaz' with tools!

lovely solution and beautiful job!! wow 8)

how are you enjoying the freq shifter? I've wanted one for ages....
chromium
Oh trust me- my place is with a soldering iron. I kept blowin' the sides out of the wood when I was routing the tounge-and-groove channels. Luckily I had enough wood for some redos - and putty for the places where i didn't. very frustrating It's all good. As they say in the guitar world- it gives it "mojo" Mr. Green

I LOVE the freq shifter! It's the only one I've ever owned - so I don't have any basis of comparison to the others, but I can say that it sounds heavenly for those slow, spatial effects! It does wonders with an otherwise static-sounding mono source. Instant panoramic stereo bliss! I still have to get a feel for those more oulandish "sideband" type effects - especially for warping drum tracks. I've stumbled on some great sounds there, and some equally heinous sounds as well.

I've read a lot about the fact that the Encore is quasi-digital, and that people have mentioned that they hear "stepping" of the digital quadrature oscillators at the low sub-audio frequencies - but I can't say that I have noticed this when running it as a standalone unit. By that I mean that I have not used the sine/cos outputs to modulate any other devices yet. I'm guessing that might be what people are referring to. To the manufacturer's point, thouugh, I'd think a slew limiter would take care of that if it was an issue. So that said- I'm really happy with the Encore so far.
Muff Wiggler
yep and compared to other shifters out there the price is fantastic....

and it's true, a lag/slew will take care of that stepping for sure.

this is cool info, thanks....glad you are enjoying it and I'll have to pick one up at some point 8)
neandrewthal
Muff Wiggler wrote:
yep and compared to other shifters out there the price is fantastic....

and it's true, a lag/slew will take care of that stepping for sure.

this is cool info, thanks....glad you are enjoying it and I'll have to pick one up at some point 8)

eek! There's a frac module you don't have eek!
parasitk
neandrewthal wrote:
Muff Wiggler wrote:

eek! There's a frac module you don't have eek!

eek! ...Or two of! eek!
Muff Wiggler
haha there's a LOT I don't have two of anymore!

and there's a good pile I don't have one of even...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1