MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

is macromachines storage strip discuntinnued forever?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author is macromachines storage strip discuntinnued forever?
FatRocky
hmmm.....
MATSmile
My guess he will bring 'em back when he is done with the Omnimode.
ignatius
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2398788#2398788

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169413&highlight=

i managed to get one in a trade last year. if you look around, post in the WTB subforum maybe you'll find one. seriously, i just don't get it
tbecker
ignatius wrote:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2398788#2398788

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169413&highlight=

i managed to get one in a trade last year. if you look around, post in the WTB subforum maybe you'll find one. seriously, i just don't get it

I would sell mine, but I can't on good faith. (1) it doesn't work well and the manufacturer has ignored the posts about it.
(2) there was a firmware update that was promised that never came to pass. Quick summary is, you push the button, then nothing! Then sometimes you can recall. But the CV jack works well, so just don't use the recall and you are set, but that is the point, so...
Chartreuse-J
Not to sound like a broken record with this module, but someone should rehash this thing and bring out an improved version. It works with the WMD SSM, Mungo Modules, SSF Gate Storm just to name a few. Seems reasonable to have an other company adapt this technology unless it violates some copyright with MacroMachines.
tbecker
Chartreuse-J wrote:
Not to sound like a broken record with this module, but someone should rehash this thing and bring out an improved version. It works with the WMD SSM, Mungo Modules, SSF Gate Storm just to name a few. Seems reasonable to have an other company adapt this technology unless it violates some copyright with MacroMachines.

No there is no patent here, just a module that can send voltage on the bus, it doesn't work well! I am sure anyone could do better for less cost and better buttons than the rat shack ones that come on the 200.00 module.
Timmy
tbecker wrote:
Chartreuse-J wrote:

No there is no patent here, just a module that can send voltage on the bus, it doesn't work well! I am sure anyone could do better for less cost and better buttons than the rat shack ones that come on the 200.00 module.

I think it sends MIDI CC or SysEx messages on the CV or gate bus, doesn't it? Each of the module manufacturers which support it should be able to provide details of of the exact MIDI messages used, and confirm the electrical specifications for the MIDI-on-the-bus signals.
ignatius
voltage block and varigate8+ communicate via a similar/same (?) method. clock buss is used for sync and 'shared' features. it's a feature of the system of eurorack and can be exploited by any manufacturer who chooses to use it.

i would expect it to be more popular w/varigate 8 acting as master.

the storage strip and varigate8 do not like being on the same bus. they are both designated as master units so there's a conflict and they go kinda batshit.
evs
The storage strip works very good here with my mungo modules. Don't want to miss it!
Southfork
Timmy wrote:
tbecker wrote:
Chartreuse-J wrote:

I think it sends MIDI CC or SysEx messages on the CV or gate bus, doesn't it? Each of the module manufacturers which support it should be able to provide details of of the exact MIDI messages used, and confirm the electrical specifications for the MIDI-on-the-bus signals.

Exactly from what I'm aware it works with midi cc. actually wouldn't be too difficult to knock up something externally. Also I might be wrong but didn't the disting 4 have some storage strip capabilities in the namm demo?
wigwig
FR
I've posted this for you before. smile
pld
Southfork wrote:
Timmy wrote:
tbecker wrote:
Chartreuse-J wrote:

Exactly from what I'm aware it works with midi cc. actually wouldn't be too difficult to knock up something externally. Also I might be wrong but didn't the disting 4 have some storage strip capabilities in the namm demo?

Yeah, I think the new Disting supports it now too (although master or slave?). I'm pretty sure I've seen a google docs spec for the MIDI part somewhere, but can't find it now, and the rest should be easy to throw together with just an AVR and some level shifting (hm, I still have some left-over Braids displays...) Making it automatically switch between master/slave would probably work somehow but making it actually be multi-master would likely mean a new protocol type.

FWIW there was talk of a library (which I don't think is even necessary) and hardware specs being released by MM, but that was in "that other thread", so take it however you like. If I'm not entirely mistaken, Ben Davis (now at Malekko) used to work with/for/at MM so it's likely those are compatible, maybe he'd be a better source'o'specs.
listentoaheartbeat
tbecker wrote:

They suck, immediately replaced them all with proper buttons once the first one started to act up. Bad design choice on a module that you will hammering on a lot. The module is not rocket science at all, it's all MIDI as others mentioned. I assume it would be fairly easy for someone to throw something together based on Arduino. However, it has made my d0 experience so much better, so it was worth the money (didn't pay 200€ though). He had a good idea, that's worth something, too!
tbecker
evs wrote:
The storage strip works very good here with my mungo modules. Don't want to miss it!
I have heard this before and totally believe you, I think my unit could have the old firmware that has this problem where the button press doesn't actually send the message somewhat at random, allthough the led lights. I have no idea how to confirm this or resolve it though. I forgot to mention from some other threads that you can only do 3 mungo modules per storage strip due to a design flaw in the storage strip ouput circuitry. When you add that awsome 4th mungo module all of your others will loose zoom and recall/storage, so you need one storage strip per three mungo modules and they have to be located on a seperate powerbus which sucks.
FatRocky
Chartreuse-J wrote:

yeah maybe we could help with KickStarter im in
ignatius
wigwig wrote:
FR

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up
Timmy
Just BTW, here is the documentation for the MIDI-based protocol used: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YhPvAI6oliwLYSHhDholdAUym-TfBDGlxS T-zDCP-qw/edit

...which links to this GitHub repository which is, um, predictably, bereft of any code: https://github.com/MacroMachines/Eurorack-Preset-Protocol
Southfork
I asked a couple questions on the disting 4 forum. The disting will be a recall device like the load bit of the storage strip but won't have saving ability so fine for varigate/gatestorm/tempi etc but no go on the mungo modules unless you have some presets saved first.

I did quiz nico on the storage strip and mungo modules a while ago and if I remember rightly the presets are actually saved on the mungo module. All the storage strip does is send a command to save and command to recall.
pld
Timmy wrote:
Just BTW, here is the documentation for the MIDI-based protocol used: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YhPvAI6oliwLYSHhDholdAUym-TfBDGlxS T-zDCP-qw/edit

...which links to this GitHub repository which is, um, predictably, bereft of any code: https://github.com/MacroMachines/Eurorack-Preset-Protocol

Thanks, that's the doc I remember.

Most of the effort is in the slave modules (and load/save will be highly specific) but the master seems so simple that not having code isn't an issue.
FatRocky
wigwig wrote:
FR

i sent them messages asking for confirmation about the module being available in stock. But i have never received an answer
Mungo
Southfork wrote:
I asked a couple questions on the disting 4 forum. The disting will be a recall device like the load bit of the storage strip but won't have saving ability so fine for varigate/gatestorm/tempi etc but no go on the mungo modules unless you have some presets saved first.

I did quiz nico on the storage strip and mungo modules a while ago and if I remember rightly the presets are actually saved on the mungo module. All the storage strip does is send a command to save and command to recall.
Its the combination of the zoom + Program Change message which does saving, so if anything is sending recall requests then they are a save request by simply holding the zoom in.

If MM are going south and there is enough interest we can make whatever design people want, but it would need some consensus on what to actually build.
Dogma
It's not discontinued but certainly could do with some work

Currently with mungo modules you can't use the midi add on AND the storage strip - one or the other.....I would love to have access to both for my w0 and g0 (and d0 soon) - if possible need to work out how we can leverage both

Currently there are mungo, WMD Ssm and Os from expert sleepers it taking on the "format" as well.....

Lots of potential
Paranormal Patroler
Bump for need of a module that does save/recall and all the Mungo features.
Dogma
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Still dont have one yet (malekko) -id love to know how they go saving Mungo presets
listentoaheartbeat
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Everyone who wants this should reach out to Os from Expert Sleepers, talked to him about it at SB and afterwards when my Storage Strip blew up (fixed now luckily). He might be up for doing this, easy enough to do and the demand is there.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2