MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mobenthy VS. Lombarde
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Mobenthy VS. Lombarde
southphillysynths
I was excited to hear about the Mobenthy modules in eurorack. I thought it would be great to have these awesome designs represented in my system.

But learning more about the standard Ciat Lombarde instruments it would seem that they are much more than the circuits themselves.

The interface is what first intrigued me about the Plumbutter 2. I then tried to think through the process of what euro modules I would need to replicate its functions.

But the fact that the Plumbutter and the other Lombarde instruments are instruments would set them apart from the euro modules.

Anyway, People that have both euro modules and a stand alone instrument such as the plumbutter; which do you prefer to use? What do you think about the different interfaces. [/i]
ghrobbing_tristle
Also curious about this, seeing as I just downsized by Euro setup to fund a PB2 smile I think you hit the nail on the head -- the Ciat stuff, by all reports, makes for incredibly engaging instruments, and the gestural elements/control really sealed the deal for me. I had a few Mobenthey modules over the last year, and while I liked them a lot, I felt like a PB2 would better suit my needs and interests long-term. Now all I need is a Sidrax + Coco!
mbleming
I've never used the Mobenthey modules, but they seem to be a great way to incorporate some of Peter's genius into the eurorack format. I don't think in use though that they'd come close to the hands on experience of Peter's Ciat vision. Over the last few months I've built up a collection of Peter's instruments including a Plum2/Coco2/Tetrax/Sidrax/Shnth and I've never been more in love with a collection of instruments...everything about them appeals...sound, size, feel, smell. They're obviously handmade and have so much charm to them. They also work so well together, each piece adds to the whole really perfectly. The Sidrax/Coco2 combo is what really sold me on Peter's designs...it is SO MUCH FUN.
ghrobbing_tristle
mbleming - Dang, that's got me super pumped! Inter-connectivity between the Ciat instruments is gonna be key for me, but I'll definitely be spending some solo time with PB2 before springing for something else. Still don't know if I should get a Sidrax next or the Coco...

One thing I'll say about the Mobenthey modules is that I never quite figured out how to integrate them into a larger euro system. When I spent time simply patching Swoop, Dunst and Sprott together, I got some wild, amazingly chaotic results -- part of me simply wanted to create a Mobenthey skiff and use it as its own stand-along instrument, detached from everything else...
mbleming
I would get the Coco first if you can't afford both at the same time (the Sid and Coco are phenomenal together)...I've been back and forth a million times on building an all mobenthey system, but I'm always more attracted to the Ciat standalone instruments and spend in that direction, but I'd love to try out the full compliment of mobenthey modules...maybe one day...
southphillysynths
ghrobbing_tristle wrote:

One thing I'll say about the Mobenthey modules is that I never quite figured out how to integrate them into a larger euro system. When I spent time simply patching Swoop, Dunst and Sprott together, I got some wild, amazingly chaotic results -- part of me simply wanted to create a Mobenthey skiff and use it as its own stand-along instrument, detached from everything else...

I figured that people would have this experience...

I feel the same is true about the Ciat instruments. even people with banana gear such as serge or bugbrand, I wonder how often they actually connect Ciat instruments with anything other than Ciat instruments...
pugix
Mobenthey modules integrate very will with Eurorack in general, because of the voltage levels.

http://pugix.com/synth/updated-wave-mangling-box/

As for the Ciat-Lonbarde instruments, I use them often as sound generators, which I then can post-process with modular gear. Tetrazzi into Clouds is killer. And I also frequently use the Quantussy section of the Cocoquantus to modulate modular CV inputs.
a9headbangingBABEWYN
Hello,

I get the feeling whilst researching that many people consume the eurorack pieces without perhaps getting proper wet. They seem to disappoint a fair few who are expecting the "real deal" eg, ciat lonbarde instruments,
Quick fixes at 200 bucks a pop. Well that is not really the deal with his stuff now is it?

Quite obviously the euro modules are restricted in what they do, the CL instruments deliver a fuller and greater picture. You need to spend some time and perhaps pair or a few of the euroracks.. Notice how Mr Blasser now only ships a full system of them. 3 swoops and 2 denums!!! Seems like he is trying to say something there....
But especially get some duplifiers, a few of those tiptop stackcables for sure. Otherwise they don't go bananas perhaps?

Anyways,

Speaking of IGM Keyboard,

It is insanely playable. The shit coming out of that... WOW.

The missing piece of the puzzle i say

Ive been waiting for videos and thoughts on this but haven't seen anything really since Pugix explained and mapped it (thanks). Joined you other wigglers tonight since i thought id give it a proper run through, (shortly)

It speaks very well with my other stuff. It has that continuous modulating aspect of the signals which many people seem to yearn for. And it goes round the moon with a simple touch.

What I'm trying to convey si the VS aspect.

Im all Mobenthey. I believe that a proper setup of these modules -with- the controller will be all balls out, not shortcoming of the lonbarde stuff. At all.
But also on the plus side, perhaps a bit more "safe"??? The brown CL scares me a bit...

But yeah,

Kinda saving up for a cocoquantus

But don't tell Ieaskul!!!!!!
Kujo
Not sure why but I personally feel like it's not a fair comparison , stand alone instruments vs Euro modules that is..

I've had multiple IFM and now went down to only the Fourses , the modules play nicely with others but shine mostly with themselves but I personally use them on their own and not part of a greater IFM system, so both cases work out.

the concept and intentions seems different as well...
nearly ghost
I've always wanted to try the ciat instruments as I was already heavily invested in euro I decided to get some ifm. I started with denum sprott forces and paired them up with just friends. Ended up selling the denum and added mr grassi I feel they work well together and I'm finding sonic textures I'm pretty sure I would not get with a more traditional voice. if anything im even more interested in trying ciat stuff after using ifm.

I remember someone mentioned a while back cocoquantus could be a pretty cool euro module, I Agree it would be awesome.

Also think it would be cool to have the rollz section from plumbutter as a euro module. Or even the deer horn.

Since he started selling them as I complete system I wonder if he will design more euro modules? I hope he does tbh.
pugix
nearly ghost wrote:
I've always wanted to try the ciat instruments as I was already heavily invested in euro I decided to get some ifm. I started with denum sprott forces and paired them up with just friends. Ended up selling the denum and added mr grassi I feel they work well together and I'm finding sonic textures I'm pretty sure I would not get with a more traditional voice. if anything im even more interested in trying ciat stuff after using ifm.

I'm interested, if you want to say more about patching IFM with Just Friends.
nearly ghost
pugix wrote:
nearly ghost wrote:

I'll upload a few samples today if I get some time. What I l love about these moduls together is how many in & outs they have for cross modulation. Patch just friends outs to forces & sprott ins (good thing is there are 6 of them phase shiftable). run some forces channels in lfo rates to just friends fm ramp etc and some audio rate into sprott. I run sprott hp bp lp ch out into my mixer. Then grassi patched up anywhere between the 3 to add some unpredictable.

Forces make a pretty great drone oscillatior imo.
pugix
nearly ghost wrote:
pugix wrote:
nearly ghost wrote:

I'll upload a few samples today if I get some time. What I l love about these moduls together is how many in & outs they have for cross modulation. Patch just friends outs to forces & sprott ins (good thing is there are 6 of them phase shiftable). run some forces channels in lfo rates to just friends fm ramp etc and some audio rate into sprott. I run sprott hp bp lp ch out into my mixer. Then grassi patched up anywhere between the 3 to add some unpredictable.

Forces make a pretty great drone oscillatior imo.

Thanks. Gives me some ideas. Do you separate your Fourses oscillators by patching into their bounds inserts? I recently learned this technique.
nearly ghost
pugix wrote:
Thanks. Gives me some ideas. Do you separate your Fourses oscillators by patching into their bounds inserts? I recently learned this technique.

Damn i didnt know that thakns for the tip thumbs up TBH i was just patching away randomly. Here are a few snippets mashed together of sprott, forces and mr grassi used with just friends.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/317840385" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
pugix
nearly ghost wrote:
pugix wrote:

Damn i didnt know that thakns for the tip thumbs up TBH i was just patching away randomly. Here are a few snippets mashed together of sprott, forces and mr grassi used with just friends.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/317840385" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Nice sounds! Are you using JF as the main oscillator here? Modulating it with the IFM modules? Or did you use JF to modulate the Fourses? Maybe both?
nearly ghost
pugix wrote:
nearly ghost wrote:
pugix wrote:

Nice sounds! Are you using JF as the main oscillator here? Modulating it with the IFM modules? Or did you use JF to modulate the Fourses? Maybe both?

Cheers, glad you like.. Yes its both, hitting sprott inputs with both the JF and some forces in audio rate.
ignacio
I think Ciat - especially the PB - is more an "instrument." What I mean by that is that it's a standalone piece, while euro is a bit more of a retrofit situation. Maybe retrofit is not the right word, but I think everyone can understand what I mean.

In short, I recommend the PB2. It's a real experience.
anther
thought i'd throw my 2c in for my 1st post,

have been working on my IFM system (the mobset w/ an extra fourses) for about 6 months, & with the addition the IGM keyboard and enough time to patch about, the 'system' is seriously fleshed out & deep; currently building an intersexon for my 2 fourses, but current results out of a pure IFM skiff are fantastic; highly recommend using the IGM's sqaure out as a signal input!!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1