MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Must have modules in 5U
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Must have modules in 5U
Falcon
Hello everybody!
I have a Euro system and want to try some 5u module like the MOTM 440
Is there some must have module like this one that you recommend?
Thank's.
sandyb
there are lots of great modules in 5U but first a couple of questions:

what do you have in euro already?

what do you want to achieve with a 5U system - have it as a standalone system or as something that goes alongside your euro modules?

what sort of sounds do you make? module recommendations for perfect tracking tonal music may be different to somebody making experimental sounds/drones etc...

sorry - that's three questions. i must learn to count! MY ASS IS BLEEDING

sandy
rezzn8r
Modcan CV Recorder FTW!
Falcon
Thank's for quick reply Sandy.
The idea it's just to try and experiment 5U ,i heard so much about the 440 that i wanted to try a small 5U case to go standalone or alongside my euro.
Perfect tracking tonal music is more my stuff.
Thank's.
parasitk
rezzn8r wrote:
Modcan CV Recorder FTW!

Yeah I'd have to recommend Modcan stuff as well - VCDO, DVDO, CV Recorder, Digital Delay...
doctorvague
Nice setup!!
My 2 favorite filters in 5U are the MOTM 440 and MegaOhm's Delta filter.
Be prepared to wait for the 440 unless you find one used. I've been waiting since mid-February on a 480 just to give you an idea, and you can't really rely on delivery times quoted.
Here's a video demo of the Delta:
MegaOhm Delta filter demo
Modcan has quite a few designs that aren't really represented in Euro, like the VCDO and whole bunch of others that I'm sure will get mentioned shortly! Bruce's delivery times are generally long, but he will give you an honest estimate so at least you know.

I'd be interested in hearing how you like your Macbeth modules if that's not too OT.
NV
I'd say the old standby is the MOTM-440 filter. I think every modular system needs a solid and fully featured dedicated lowpass, and the 440 fits the bill perfectly. I'm not sure how well the TipTop Z2040 compares to the MOTM-440, but that would be something to keep in mind if you head down that path.

I would have said the Encore UEG is a fantastic 5U module, but now it's been released in euro so it's no longer 5U exclusive. Regardless, I prefer the layout of the 5U module and since you don't have a UEG in your euro system I'd say picking one up in 5U would be a great idea. The slope selection and step-dependent time feature are what really separates it from other sequencers.

In the ModCan realm, the 55B Dual Quantizer is an amazing module for tonal music. The variety of its 48 scales is fantastic, it tracks bipolar voltages (a surprisingly rare feature), and there is voltage control over transpose and scale selection with the benefit of a pulse out for each note shift when you aren't using the clock input. Plus having two truly independent quantizers in one module is a boon.

Those would probably be my top three since they all have markedly different functions but there's many others I'd recommend beyond that, particularly if you are into DIY. Check out the Bridechamber site for some amazing DIY projects - here's the link. If you aren't into DIY, many of those projects can be purchased built or you can hire one of a handful of techs around the forums to build them for you. A few people have had Todd Fletcher build their Klees for them, all with nothing but praise for his build quality.
consumed
the modcan quantizer is unparalleled IMO
the modcan VCDO is an incredibly useful oscillator with wide range and timbre.
i like nearly every motm filter that paul makes. standouts are the 440, 480 and 410 IMO
dude
stg mankato
a ton of modcan! 66b control is awesome and simple and nothing else like it exists afaik
modcan quantizer, cv recorder. i personally don't mess with 5u motm unless found used.
sandyb
if it's filters you're looking for then the suggestions of modcan and motm are good ones. they make loads of them! i can't honestly say which ones as i only like bandpass filters which limits my view on them somewhat!

i'd also say look into modcan for some modules you won't find in euro. cv recorder, vcdo, dvdo, quad lfo - they're all great modules. the quantizer may well be something you'd like too.

you might also like to consider motm's 730 vc pulse divider

both motm and modcan make all the utility modules (vca, mixer etc..) that you'd need to make your 5U system standalone if you decided to do that. i'd say get 5U modules to go with the euro first though. patching them together is no hassle using a simple 1/4" to 1/8" conversion panel.

sandy
Falcon
Thank's for all the reply.
Somebody try the THE C 1670 ENSEMBLE GENERATOR(is it working with MOTM format?)
dude
does he do motm? i thought it was just dotcom style. and doesn't jlr have one of those? surely somebody around here has one.
bf
As far as filters go, the COTA and Thomas White's 292c clone are players. I also find the mankato working its way into my patches frequently, though mine is built on a bridechamber panel. Encore's frequency shifter is another fun module. The range of my hands on experience is fairly limited though, so take the comment for what it is.
JohnLRice
Falcon wrote:
Thank's for all the reply.
Somebody try the THE C 1670 ENSEMBLE GENERATOR(is it working with MOTM format?)

If you have wood mounting rails it is fairly easy to mount together a mix of MOTM/Modcan and DotCom/COTK/Mos-Lab/Moog/STG Both considered 5U, just keep in mind that the panel widths and mounting hole positions are a little different so if you try to mix both kinds with machined metal rails, it wont really work.

Here's a couple things I did with my COTK C1670 thumbs up I do have a mix of both sizes of 5U modules but I keep them seperated in different racks.

Falcon
Thank's John for the reply ,wonderful music by the way.
I really like this module(1670) is there something similar is other brand?
What's VCO you guys recommend?
A lot of you recommend modcan stuff ,should i get modcan B or A modules to fit with MOTM?
Thank's.
Falcon
I guess it's Modcan B to fit with MOTM!!!
parasitk
Yes B Series for 1/4" MOTM format goodness.
Falcon
Also what VCA do you recommend?
russma
The MOTM-190 Dual VCA sounds great and has a handy built-in Ring-Mod.

Oakley makes a triple VCA module, in a convenient 2U-wide module.

They also make a handy envelope module with a built-in VCA.
NV
Falcon wrote:
Also what VCA do you recommend?

I'm a big champion of Oakley's Triple VCA - 3 very high quality VCAs in a 2U package for a very reasonable price. I built my own however, so I'm not sure what the price would equate to for a tech-built module but I imagine it would still be reasonable.

The ModCan 4VCA is a solid contender as well, although it's rather expensive. However it does incorporate selectable AC/DC modes and a 4x1 sub-mixer in addition to the 4 VCAs, so if functional density is what you're after then it doesn't get much more dense than the 4VCA.

There's also a handful of more "interesting" VCAs out there, many of which can be found on the Bridechamber site. CGS has the Tube VCA which can provide some unique character to a signal, and if you can't get enough of the LPGs in your QMMG then you may like the Buchla LoPass Gate which provides a different take from the QMMG on the general LPG concept.
bf
idiotboy wrote:
Oakley makes a triple VCA module, in a convenient 2U-wide module.

They also make a handy envelope module with a built-in VCA.
I can recommend both of these.
rezzn8r
I have the Modcan 4VCA and the VCA Panner. Both are excellent. The 21B Panner has all kinds of potential. SlayerBadger!
xart
A PAIR (2) of the LFO2

http://www.megaohmaudio.com/LFO.html

I love them....and want 2 more!

thumbs up

dude
modcan 4vca is where it is at! the sum out is priceless. turns it into a fully vc mixer. the only thing which would make it even better would be to have the different response curves like on the their dual vca but i use a 4vca and qmmg as my only vca's (outside of occasional filter type vca'ing)
JohnLRice
Falcon wrote:
I really like this module(1670) is there something similar is other brand?
The only one I can think of is the JH String Ensemble / Triple Chorus but you would have to build that yourself or pay someone like Nelson Templton to build it for you. Here is some info:
http://www.jhaible.de/triple_chorus/triple_chorus.html
http://www.dragonflyalley.com/constructionJHTripleChorus.htm

Falcon wrote:
What's VCO you guys recommend?
I highly recommend Synth Tech MOTM-300 ultra VCO's! I own 4! hyper love
http://www.synthtech.com/motm300.html

Also the MOTM-310 uVCO (I own 2) http://www.synthtech.com/motm310.html and the Oakley VCO (own 1) http://www.oakleysound.com/vco.htm are most excellent too! hihi 8_)

Falcon wrote:
A lot of you recommend modcan stuff ,should i get modcan B or A modules to fit with MOTM?
As you figured out already, Modcan B! thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4