MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

new Depeche Mode?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Author new Depeche Mode?
jjclark
Any thoughts on Spirit?

Thematically, it sends a message, but musically, for my taste, I think it needs more Vince Clarke and less U2.

Of course, I will have to listen a few more times to be fair. I liked "Where's the revolution" (as a U2 song).
whinger
Rhythmically I like it, but I don't like that all the melodies are carried by Dave Gahan's voice. The pace of it feels like it's stuck in second gear and never quite picks up — and lyrically it's not their most subtle. But having said that, about half the album I like in spite of those complaints. It's the best of the modern DM albums in my opinion.

However, I cannot stress enough that they need to let go of Anton Corbijn as their creative director.
amnesia
I was a hard core Depeche fan up to SOFD then singing on electronics music wasnt for me, techno, drum n bass etc was more interesting...

But I do really like this new album, I have listened to Ultra to now albums as well but feel this is their strongest in a while.

Just wish they would not try and be a blues band so much.
Numanoid92
I really like the new album, probably the best Depeche Mode work since Ultra.. I'm an hardcore DM fan...

Probably it's their most cohesive work in 20 years, there are some really really good songs (Scum, Fail, Poorman, You Move) and all the others are definetly superior than those of the last 2 albums.. Playing the Angel was a great work with great singles but too many fillers.. Spirits feel more complete even though there arent real singles.. Anyway, IMHO, best album since Ultra, period.
And, a lot better than the last NIN ep..
buzzlegs
wow, i'm actually surprised at the slightly warm opinion of this album, i've been a massive fan since Speak&Spell but i think this album is truly awful, i couldn't even sit through it all on 1st listen (a first for me!).

The lyrics are really embarrassing for a start, very childish and unsubtle, a young teenager could write more intelligent lyrics than this. Musically it's so boring too imo, and the production is so uninteresting and unimaginative. For me they've completely lost it now, a real shame.
Numanoid92
buzzlegs wrote:
wow, i'm actually surprised at the slightly warm opinion of this album, i've been a massive fan since Speak&Spell but i think this album is truly awful, i couldn't even sit through it all on 1st listen (a first for me!).

The lyrics are really embarrassing for a start, very childish and unsubtle, a young teenager could write more intelligent lyrics than this. Musically it's so boring too imo, and the production is so uninteresting and unimaginative. For me they've completely lost it now, a real shame.


Music is really a personal thing so something that works for one doesn't work for another.. For example i'm a Nine Inch Nails fan and i absolutelly HATE the last Ep which was critically acclaimed..
This new Depeche Mode album for me is a breath of fresh air. Of course it's not a "new Violator or SOFAD" and i didn't expect a new Enjoy The Silence because it's unrealistical still, this is the first time since Playing the Angel that felt excited about a new Depeche Mode work. I listened to it probably 6-7 times since the release.
Time will tell if it's really good or not.. Right now i feel like it's their best work since Ultra and James Ellis Ford did an AMAZING job with the production.
buzzlegs
Numanoid92 wrote:


Music is really a personal thing so something that works for one doesn't work for another.. For example i'm a Nine Inch Nails fan and i absolutelly HATE the last Ep which was critically acclaimed..
This new Depeche Mode album for me is a breath of fresh air. Of course it's not a "new Violator or SOFAD" and i didn't expect a new Enjoy The Silence because it's unrealistical still, this is the first time since Playing the Angel that felt excited about a new Depeche Mode work. I listened to it probably 6-7 times since the release.
Time will tell if it's really good or not.. Right now i feel like it's their best work since Ultra and James Ellis Ford did an AMAZING job with the production.


Yeah i get that music is a very personal thing so that's fair enough.

Really don't hear how the production is amazing though, there's no interesting sounds or rhythms at all, it's all very normal and standard stuff imo...

... although tbf they've been rhythmically un-inventive for a long time now imo, even the drummer they use live is such a boring drummer, maybe technically good but no emotion whatsoever, there's nothing exciting about his playing at all...

but i digress, overall the album reeks of easy street to me, they're not challenging themselves at all in the studio anymore...
whinger
buzzlegs wrote:
but i digress, overall the album reeks of easy street to me, they're not challenging themselves at all in the studio anymore...


I get the feeling that Dave Gahan wants to be a bluesy rock singer and Martin Gore wants to write ballads and slow songs — and there is no producer/arranger that will stand up to them. So what you get now is the best you're going to get given those two starting points. If you're onboard for that, you'll enjoy it, if you think those two things are holding them back (which is my opinion), it's a bit bumpier ride.
whinger
Numanoid92 wrote:
For example i'm a Nine Inch Nails fan and i absolutelly HATE the last Ep which was critically acclaimed.


Funny, I thought NTAE was met with indifference from the critics due to that particular type of music falling out of public favor, combined with some critics wanting to dismiss it before they'd heard it. I quite like the EP, but it many listens before I got into it and totally understand why other do not. It's polarizing for sure.
Numanoid92
whinger wrote:
Numanoid92 wrote:
For example i'm a Nine Inch Nails fan and i absolutelly HATE the last Ep which was critically acclaimed.


Funny, I thought NTAE was met with indifference from the critics due to that particular type of music falling out of public favor, combined with some critics wanting to dismiss it before they'd heard it. I quite like the EP, but it many listens before I got into it and totally understand why other do not. It's polarizing for sure.


The problem i have with that Ep is that, when i listen to it i always have the feeling of "i already hear it"... I quite liked Hesitation Marks even though there where some fillers unnecessary and some good tracks left out the CD...

Getting back on topic, Gahan and Gore shares similar music taste, even though Gahan is more on the Punky Grunge style..
People always talk about Alan Wilder, but he shares too love for old Blues/Delta Blues music (Just listen to some of his Recoil project songs). So, the road was already flatten in front of them.. Probably, IF Alan was still a member, we would only have better arrangment. I have the feeling that, with Alan inside, we would have been stucked in the 90s sound with no forward movement
dubnspace
Overall disliked the album the first few times I heard it. But I have to say it's really grown on me and I really enjoy it now. Don't dismiss the production without giving it some proper quality listening, it really is great, although not as melodic as Wilder would do, but the layers are certainly back that have been missing the last few albums. "You Move" is pretty rhythmically interesting with it's odd timing.

Here's a little snippet from a Matrixxman interview:

Quote:
How can I imagine you producing an album with these guys? Did you bring your Yahama DX21 and show them how to press the keys?
Matrixxman: Haha. No Yamaha DX synths made the cut unfortunately although I did manage to convince Martin to bring in his Roland TR-909 and his Oxford Oscar.
During the initial evaluation phase when I spoke to Martin, he asked if I was knowledgeable about modular synths. I told him I wasn't particularly well-versed and he laughed his ass off replying "Well, you might want to get familiar with them."
Fast forward several months later to the first studio date, I walked into the spot in Santa Barbara and my jaw immediately dropped. Martin only brought in a mere quarter of his rig and it still spanned the entire studio. There was an obscene amount of Eurorack stuff and only a few polysynths (which was hilarious because I am definitely more of a traditional synthesizer dude). I was properly fucked. But I love a challenge so I dove right in and sussed out how to make things talk to each other. It was super intimidating at first but I suppose that is to be expected. I was lucky to play with some cool toys that made quite an impression. There were certain things we kept coming back to like the Koma Komplex sequencer, Mutable Instruments Clouds, various effects by Make Noise, and a Moog Model 15 reissue...among other stuff.
bwhittington
jjclark wrote:
I think it needs more Vince Clarke and less U2.


Maybe they realized that any old U2 record outsells Erasure 10:1. lol

I thought the album was decent enough, but it seems fairly subdued and indistinct from their last 3 or 4 records to me. I liked the modular blippity-bleeps but missed the stronger melodies of their earlier work. I also thought the distorted vocal effects, some of the bluesy delivery, and the the wall-of-sound mixes on a few tracks seemed a bit overwrought and hard to enjoy. The glacial tempo of a couple of tracks seemed pretty monotonous, too. Still, I'm enjoying giving it a listen, even if their style now isn't completely to my taste.
aokjoey0
Yawn... Not the DM I liked. Violator and Songs of Faith and Devotion, were my favorites. Their lyrics always had that "whiny teen" feel to them, but I liked them.
Cyberiad
Have listened to it about dozen times now and I think it's a strong one from them for a change. Not a hit in sight but this is much more solid album than anything they've done since Ultra. I absolutely love Martin Gore's MG and the VCMG : SSSS was a fun album too... Really happy to see that Martin & co are much more on the case these days...
iamerror
I tried to like it. seriously, i just don't get it
ActionMaxVA
I am enjoying it. I like the modular vibe, feels a bit like the MG album.
I am used to Daves vocal style and like it, the political content is refreshing from them.
The little girl song was a bit weird al but beats Nickleback every day.
doombient.music
jjclark wrote:
Any thoughts on Spirit? [...]


Yawn.

Wealthy middle-aged men talking about revolting against a system that made them grow fat as well? Oh, come one... give me a break.

Oh, the music? Can't remember much of it so it must have been about as exciting as Playing the Angel or Sounds of the Universe.

Stephen
Emmett Garret
The sound is still immaculate, imho. DM's still the best band in the world, just like a red wine they get better with age. It's pretty cool playing online with free spins here.
OurDarkness
After "Violator" it has become increasingly very clear to me that DM need to get Alan Wilder back.
bwhittington
OurDarkness wrote:
After "Violator" it has become increasingly very clear to me that DM need to get Alan Wilder back.


And after several Recoil albums it has seemed clear to me that Alan Wilder needs DM back.

cool cool cool , coolcool cool cool cool
h4ndcrafted
I enjoy the album as a whole and the remixes are really good. Not a big fan of theirs, maybe that's why I except it a bit more. Lyrics are a bit cringy at times and others chime with me.

A lot of bands I like seem to come from sunny Essex, Basildon/Romford Prodigy and Underworld as well.
ignatius
i haven't heard it yet.. but looking at some kids in the hall on youtue today came across this... which is only relevant for the first bit i guess... unless you're into the doors...

baronofedge69
Honestly it was just a snooze fest for me. I couldn't find a single song that was catchy in the slightest, it wasn't ambitious, it was just a big pile of nothing. seriously, i just don't get it
and I like at least one track from every album they put out prior, this is the one exception.
neandrewthal
jjclark wrote:
Any thoughts on Spirit?

Thematically, it sends a message, but musically, for my taste, I think it needs more Vince Clarke and less U2.


t3h 8@nz3r@t3d t3h 8@nz3r@t3d t3h 8@nz3r@t3d

No Vince Clark! His leaving was the best thing to ever happen to DM! IMO Speak & Spell is by far their worst album, then with A Broken Frame they instantly jumped to near masterpiece status and kept up that quality until they finally hit grand slams with Music For the Masses and Violator (Black Celebration was so close, with some of their very best songs but also inconsistent).


OurDarkness wrote:
After "Violator" it has become increasingly very clear to me that DM need to get Alan Wilder back.


t3h 8@nz3r@t3d t3h 8@nz3r@t3d t3h 8@nz3r@t3d

Nothing against Alan Wilder but I love SoFaD and Ultra and put them up there with anything they've done besides the aforementioned grand slams.

Anyways, don't take my aggression too seriously, I'm just in a silly mood and passionate about my DM opinions. I haven't listened to Spirit yet. Got the vinyl but all my equipment is in storage right now.
Countcowden
DM need Wilder back and Wilder needs DM.

The sum was greater than the parts - like all great bands.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Artist Discussion  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group