MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Cheap bitcrush pedal experience?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Cheap bitcrush pedal experience?
Cowabunga-man
Has anyone had any satisfying experiences with any of the chep bitcrush pedals out there, such as mooer lofi machine or cnz crush bit?
(Are they the same pedal?)
Would you recommend one?
smetak
Cowabunga-man wrote:
Has anyone had any satisfying experiences with any of the chep bitcrush pedals out there, such as mooer lofi machine or cnz crush bit?
Would you recommend one?

Although I've used a good many Mooer pedals - I only recommend their distortions & overdrives - the rest, pretty lame. The Lo Fi machine I did get a chance to test - found it terrible.

I use the Geiger Counter, full version - yes, not terribly cheap - but essential. Can't live without it. You may try the so called "civilian issue", which is US$100 less.

There's one now on Reverb for US$174:

https://reverb.com/item/3496460-wmd-geiger-counter
Cowabunga-man
smetak wrote:
Cowabunga-man wrote:
Would you recommend one?

Although I've used a good many Mooer pedals - I only recommend their distortions & overdrives - the rest, pretty lame. The Lo Fi machine I did get a chance to test - found it terrible.

I use the Geiger Counter, full version - yes, not terribly cheap - but essential. Can't live without it. You may try the so called "civilian issue", which is US$100 less.

Thanks! The full version seems really cool but perhaps a bit too many functions.. I realized there's a fine balance between endless possibilities and me actually getting smtn made smile
The civilian looks great though! And the low fidelity mode is definitely a big +. Do you know if it's possibe to mix dry/wet signal on any of the geiger versions?
smetak
Cowabunga-man wrote:
smetak wrote:
Cowabunga-man wrote:
Would you recommend one?

Thanks! The full version seems really cool but perhaps a bit too many functions.. I realized there's a fine balance between endless possibilities and me actually getting smtn made smile
The civilian looks great though! And the low fidelity mode is definitely a big +. Do you know if it's possibe to mix dry/wet signal on any of the geiger versions?

Nope, unfortunately there isn't a way to control the mix on the GC.

But you may want to look into the Malekko Scrutator (another bitcrusher I have, but had forgotten about.....), which is a tad cheaper and does have a mix - also, you can work the parameters via an expression pedal (which you can also do with the GC).
Cowabunga-man
smetak wrote:

But you may want to look into the Malekko Scrutator (another bitcrusher I have, but had forgotten about.....), which is a tad cheaper and does have a mix - also, you can work the parameters via an expression pedal (which you can also do with the GC).

I have no experience of Malekko but they seem decent some how. I didn't intend to use it with guitar, more with synths, samples and CL plumbutter, but after watching some videos I think it actually could work nice with the guitar, as intended. Especially with the mix allowing for subtle crush .. Thanks
smetak
Cowabunga-man wrote:
smetak wrote:

I have no experience of Malekko but they seem decent some how. I didn't intend to use it with guitar, more with synths, samples and CL plumbutter, but after watching some videos I think it actually could work nice with the guitar, as intended. Especially with the mix allowing for subtle crush .. Thanks

You may want to look into the bitcrusher by Red Panda:

http://www.redpandalab.com/products/bitmap

It also has a mix control and the price I believe is not very steep - I have their Particle, which I use for guitar, but works well with synths.
Cowabunga-man
thumbs up

and in the same price range Dr Scientist Bitquest looks interesting..
smetak
Cowabunga-man wrote:
thumbs up

and in the same price range Dr Scientist Bitquest looks interesting..

Although I have never tried his bitcrusher, I have his "Elements" (which I have used in place of a SolidGold fuzz) - excellent pedal!
Cowabunga-man
smetak wrote:

Although I have never tried his bitcrusher, I have his "Elements" (which I have used in place of a SolidGold fuzz) - excellent pedal!

I bet it is! Even though it's far from a fuzz, I'm very satisfied with the "Cleanness".
Amer1231
not super cheap but the EQD bit commander is amazing. actually, anything by EQD is amazing.
smetak
Amer1231 wrote:
not super cheap but the EQD bit commander is amazing. actually, anything by EQD is amazing.

Never tried the Bit Commander - but should! I'm a bit fan of Earthquaker, though I think of them more in terms of their delays and reverbs than anything on the "dirtier" side.
Antlerface
Hotone Krush is adorable and works well. Lofi Machine is totally great.

Hi guys! Chugging Beers
smetak
Antlerface wrote:
Hotone Krush is adorable and works well. Lofi Machine is totally great.

Hi guys! Chugging Beers

Hadn't heard about this one - and with a mix knob!
durwin
Hotone Krush!
Metatarsals
I had a Geiger Counter and it was brutal.

Worth checking out Lateral Sound's Bit and Bitfix pedals. I have one of their Root pedals and demoed a Bit a while back when I had the Geiger Counter.

Can recommend.
smetak
Metatarsals wrote:
I had a Geiger Counter and it was brutal.

Worth checking out Lateral Sound's Bit and Bitfix pedals. I have one of their Root pedals and demoed a Bit a while back when I had the Geiger Counter.

Can recommend.

Ah, yes, the brutal yellow box of mayhem - the definition of chaos! Bought it when released and have a permanent spot on my pedalboard - effects have come and gone, with the exception of the GC. Hell, yes!

Despite my love, I bought the new Ottobit by Meris - but haven't had a chance to use it yet. But when I saw/heard the demos, I instantly flipped! This is something I just MUST try! Seems like a supernova version of the CG!
Metatarsals
smetak wrote:

Despite my love, I bought the new Ottobit by Meris - but haven't had a chance to use it yet. But when I saw/heard the demos, I instantly flipped! This is something I just MUST try! Seems like a supernova version of the CG!

I'll have to go and do some investigating re: Meris...
dkcg
The Meris Ottobit is great. The only wish I had was that the right and left channels could have seperate settings for some stereo bit processing, but it's a super minimal wish.

It's packed with features that don't seem obvious at first.

But it ain't cheap. I have a Geiger Counter, but it's so chaotic and trying to find settings again is a weakness. The Meris handles instrument and line levels.

Heck, even if it's distorting and getting digital clipping, can you really tell? grin
But it doesn't. the filter stays sounding nice (for a digtal filter) even with my modular and Elektrons straight in.
smetak
dkcg wrote:
The Meris Ottobit is great. The only wish I had was that the right and left channels could have seperate settings for some stereo bit processing, but it's a super minimal wish.

It's packed with features that don't seem obvious at first.

But it ain't cheap. I have a Geiger Counter, but it's so chaotic and trying to find settings again is a weakness. The Meris handles instrument and line levels.

Heck, even if it's distorting and getting digital clipping, can you really tell? grin
But it doesn't. the filter stays sounding nice (for a digtal filter) even with my modular and Elektrons straight in.

Thus has spoken the wiggler who bought my attention to the Meris.

And if still in doubt, this video says it all:

tuj
I had the Mooer Lo-Fi. Honestly, I thought it did what it was supposed to. No frills but I didn't think it sounded terrible. I have a GC too, and that is of course much better because of the different distortions in it. I had a GC civilian issue once and would NEVER get it again because it doesn't offer the controls of the full GC. Very limiting.
Metatarsals
dkcg wrote:

I have a Geiger Counter, but it's so chaotic and trying to find settings again is a weakness.

Yeah, this is why I don't own a GC any longer. It was all over the place, and whilst I romanticised that for about 3 years, I decided to sell it on and get the Infanem Second Voice Deluxe. It's a more straightforward, manageable monster, but a monster all the same!
NoLegs
I got my Ottobit Jr. a few days ago. Not cheap - but I love this thing! It's surprisingly deep, but I feel like the UI and alt functions were designed very well and I understood (and remembered) everything after a few minutes.
MindMachine
The Moerer seems cool but just go for a Particle. Endless ability.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1