MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Folktek Mescaline is live on Indiegogo!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Folktek Mescaline is live on Indiegogo!
caillou
Ordered mine after having owned a Matter for a while. I had a love / hate relationship with the matter, I don't expect Mescaline to be different.

I sold my Matter after several month, and sometimes miss it.

I ordered this one, in the hope that I could get some of the Matter sound out from it, while having a toy to play with once in a while.
docsunset
Phil999 wrote:
... I get the impression this thing is nothing else than a plugin or pure data project with some hardware control.

Hardware control counts for a lot! Taking a bit of software and putting in a dedicated enclosure with well thought out controls and an attractive design can really elevate something from algorithms to a musical instrument. The power of well put pots is not to be underestimated, imho. thumbs up

That said, I don't think that's what's going on here. Seems to me like the reverb is the only thing happening in DSP land.
Ruiner
docsunset wrote:
Phil999 wrote:
... I get the impression this thing is nothing else than a plugin or pure data project with some hardware control.

Hardware control counts for a lot! Taking a bit of software and putting in a dedicated enclosure with well thought out controls and an attractive design can really elevate something from algorithms to a musical instrument. The power of well put pots is not to be underestimated, imho. thumbs up

That said, I don't think that's what's going on here. Seems to me like the reverb is the only thing happening in DSP land.

That's correct. The DSP is just for the huge reverb at this point. If they meet their sales goals they'll add additional effects / modulation.
Phil999
docsunset wrote:

of course hardware control is great, but this could also achieved with a MIDI controller. But I agree, a standalone synth is always better, especially if it can mounted into and combined with Eurorack.
docsunset wrote:

judging from the demos I was thinking it is entirely DSP. We will see. Like I said, I could be wrong, and I hope I am. It really looks cool, and the demos are simply not to my taste.
Modulus
Phil999 wrote:
docsunset wrote:

of course hardware control is great, but this could also achieved with a MIDI controller. But I agree, a standalone synth is always better, especially if it can mounted into and combined with Eurorack.
docsunset wrote:

judging from the demos I was thinking it is entirely DSP. We will see. Like I said, I could be wrong, and I hope I am. It really looks cool, and the demos are simply not to my taste.

According to the indigogo "Based on the root synthesis of other Folktek instruments Materia, Mentalis and Matter.". These are all analog circuits I believe. Whatever though, it looks like a fun instrument for 400$
thetechnobear
Phil999 wrote:

odd, within first minute of the intro, he clearly states "starting with channel, this is a touch based analog synthesiser"
Id think its unlikely his going to claim that if its DSP based.
Phil999
well in that case it's clear.

Sorry about the confusion. The demos, including the last one, sounded like a pd patch to me, and I shouldn't have only trusted my ears.
Infinity Curve
My girl thinks it's pretty. Hope they hit the stretch goals, the extra FX would be a nice bonus
circuitburst
Just ordered the copper Mescaline System. Really looking forward to experimenting and creating with it in a few months! The breadboard on the Mental panel is very intriguiging. It should be interestng to connect the included resistors and capacitors to change things up too. After getting familiar with that I'll be on the hunt for interesting ICs to use. Hopefully a forum will emerge as did with the 0-Coast given all the possibilities with this system. Right now there are 173 systems sold, so the stretch goal of 250 seems quite possible given there are 13 days left. applause
"If we sell 250 complete systems, we're going to add an effect control on Channel for the DSP and add a selector to allow you to change from the reverb to another custom designed effect that will allow for further shaping."
denuir
Just to be sure, this requires a separate 12v power source, correct? How are people planning to power the standalone version? Seems it would be unpleasing to have a uzeus or 4ms row power sitting off to the side with a flying bus board lying behind the unit.
thetechnobear
denuir wrote:
Just to be sure, this requires a separate 12v power source, correct? How are people planning to power the standalone version? Seems it would be unpleasing to have a uzeus or 4ms row power sitting off to the side with a flying bus board lying behind the unit.

It's a bit unclear since pledge days 12v power, but I'm guessing it doesn't come with one.
But it does say there is a 2.1mm jack on the back of each module.
Infinity Curve
The videos say it has euro power connectors on the back of each section as well

And if you buy the complete unit, it comes with a 12v adapter. Not sure about the individual panels. I think the expectation is you would mount them in some sort of euro case if not buying the full set
CountZero
Down for a Copper Mescaline. Really dig the demos, the price is right, and it looks cool as hell.
CountZero
Infinity Curve wrote:
The videos say it has euro power connectors on the back of each section as well

And if you buy the complete unit, it comes with a 12v adapter. Not sure about the individual panels. I think the expectation is you would mount them in some sort of euro case if not buying the full set

It looks like they've updated the individual module options stating that they each come with a "eurorack power cable".
denuir
thetechnobear wrote:
denuir wrote:

It's a bit unclear since pledge days 12v power, but I'm guessing it doesn't come with one.

Oh, good point about the 2.1mm jack. So you can use a power brick or wall wart. Thanks for pointing that out, it didn't register when I read it. It does also say there's a way to piggy back power from module to module if using the full unit.
Robscorch
denuir wrote:
It does also say there's a way to piggy back power from module to module if using the full unit.

All you gotta do is create a barrel connector chain with 2.1mm I'm sure it's low amps so most power supplies can be hacked like this. Here is one I made with a radioshack powersupply for the Volcas.

Ruiner
denuir wrote:
thetechnobear wrote:
denuir wrote:

Oh, good point about the 2.1mm jack. So you can use a power brick or wall wart. Thanks for pointing that out, it didn't register when I read it. It does also say there's a way to piggy back power from module to module if using the full unit.

That's how my Folktek Triad works. It's very similar in many regards and the 2.1mm jack has jumpers from one to the other and all powered by a wall wart with and on off switch.
kesserich
Ruiner wrote:
Supposedly the sounds are based on the Folktek Matter module but a whole different world of functionality and exploration here

Why is weird from an economics standpoint. If a standalone matter runs $500, how the hell can they afford to package that + all this additional functionality and sell it for $700? Seems to imply that it is not a full-on matter inside of mescaline.
Infinity Curve
Sales volume might be a factor there. He's only 2 days into the campaign and has already sold like 190 complete systems. I'd be pretty surprised if he's sold even half that many of Matter to date
thetechnobear
Ive asked Foltek about the power supply, and he has now updated campaign to clarify.

Quote:

An entire system gets all of the parts and bits and pieces and nuts and bolts to make it all work, plenty of dupont patch cables, a small pack of components like resistors and capacitors, 12v power adapter (wall wart), ...

which is great, I didn't expect to get the power supply smile
denuir
Claimed a copper system! This is a great opportunity, as I have been interested in FolkTek's Eurorack offerings but do not have the available HP. Here's hoping it's a unique addition and not a redundancy in my setup! Looking forward to it.

Thanks again for the heads up on the inclusion of a power supply. That was the last piece keeping me from purchasing.
UglyCasanova
In case anyone wanted to know what the other planned DSP effects are:

Please reach 500. applause
scottmoon
Just under half way there and 11 days left. woah
jase970@gmail.com
Hmm, starting to look like 500 will be achievable with ease. Glitch sounds cool. I've got a Conduit and these should work hand in hand. I was also wanting more Folktek outside of my Eurorack. My Micro garden should be awesome with this as well. I have to give it to Mr. Blaze...his instruments are refreshingly off the beaten path and his approach sound creation is pretty unique. I personally enjoy every piece I've got from him. applause applause
limpmeat
. I love my matter but i can see why folktek stuff is polarising. It either fits the sound and workflow you want or not. I had a plumbutter and hated it.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 2 of 15