MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Folktek Mescaline is live on Indiegogo!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Folktek Mescaline is live on Indiegogo!
Tajnost
Infinity Curve wrote:
That is normal. Read through the last couple pages of this thread and its explained.

yes, thanks!

btw - very interesting things are happening on fb in mescaline group, feel free to join the party!
jvt
I discovered why I wasn't hearing anything. The attack time on Channel shipped set to about 15 seconds. seriously, i just don't get it However, I still can't seem to get the time any faster than 5-7 seconds even with the trimmer at max (trimmer adjacent to the power connector). The demo videos definitely seem to indicate that a much faster attack time should be possible. Need to do more investigating...
Tajnost
Sometimes it depends on the humidity inside the room and at the humidity of the fingers... Maybe putting a hand into the water before playing or using hand cream could change the things more than the trim pot.
Infinity Curve
Ya, I've definitely noticed a difference from day to day, just moisten your fingertips a little bit and it should be fine.

I've never done the whole Facebook thing. Tell them to come here Miley Cyrus
jvt
Infinity Curve wrote:
Ya, I've definitely noticed a difference from day to day, just moisten your fingertips a little bit and it should be fine.

I hope that's not the root cause. If so then I may have to let it go. I'll contact Folktek.
Infinity Curve
jvt wrote:
Infinity Curve wrote:

I hope that's not the root cause. If so then I may have to let it go. I'll contact Folktek.

The difference I am noting is the dryness of my hands, not something to do with Mescaline.
ipnoteca
i finally was able to put all together yesterday for the first time, definitively having wet hands help the response of the attack on the keyboard...

anyone please can help on how to make work both sequencer, the small "central" one moves, the external really don't understand how to make it run...
Infinity Curve
Patch from one of the clock division points to the clock input for the trigger sequencer on the right side of motion, hit the add button and you should now see one or more LEDs lit up and cycling through the steps.

Same deal for the cv sequencer
ipnoteca
thank you Infinity Curve!!!

Infinity Curve wrote:
Patch from one of the clock division points to the clock input for the trigger sequencer on the right side of motion, hit the add button and you should now see one or more LEDs lit up and cycling through the steps.

Same deal for the cv sequencer

just find out myself while experimenting a bit!

since seems you are pretty expert on this, the only way to get sounds from mental is to use trig out from sequencers right? i did try also with some cv, some times happy accidents happened, sometimes deadly silent...
baremountain
ipnoteca wrote:
the only way to get sounds from mental is to use trig out from sequencers right? i did try also with some cv, some times happy accidents happened, sometimes deadly silent...

Nope! Audio out with no patching on the Mental should be a drone. The only time I've found *complete* silence is when I patch the two rightmost points together, but that also kills power (I assume one of these is a power rail and the other is ground).
You should be able to get plenty of sounds by patching points in mental together either directly, through the potentiometers, or through components in the breadboard.
Sending Triggers from Motion's central top header is how you'll end up making time-based things like beats with Mental. Alternative to triggers, you can send points from the trigger header on the right (optocoupler). For that to work, you'll need to patch either the MAIN 1-4 or MAIN 5-8 to any point on the Mental, and then patch any of the corresponding individual trigger outs from that header to other points on the Mental. When that step's Trigger is active, those two points will now be connected.
Hope that helps!

Also, here's a little clip I recorded on Sunday. I shared it on the Facebook group but there might be a different audience here. I'm really stoked to see more people are enjoying them despite the initial setbacks. It's a fabulous instrument.
http://soundcloud.com/evangordon/meditation-no-1-folktek-mescaline

EDIT: Can't get soundcloud embed to work??
thetechnobear
Got my yesterday... and been having a lot of fun with it.

It definitely should have come with a few images of some test patches, as I know for a while I thought audio out on my mental was broken... until I realised you could short trigger as an easy way to test it.

I think the other thing is... when I first got it, I didnt want to touch the trim pots much (other than pitch and touch lvl on channel), but thats wrong, go play with all the trim pots, its the way to fine tune it, and nothing is going to blow smoke.

Ive seen quite a lot about trimming R/L Out and Osc Gain, but Id also recommend adjusting the Vac trim, if anything this has more affect than the others... using Osc Gain/Vac and R IN... (and obviously Mental volume) with a bit of fiddling you can strike quite a nice balance of even volumes, low noise and little/no distortion.

touch plates, yeah we have low humidity here, so I found best approach was some kind of moisturiser on your hands... but I'll admit, Ive still not got it exactly as i want it. (despite lots of fiddingly with touch lvl)

its a really fun instrument to play, looking forward to round two today... where I'm going to be putting stuff on the breadboard smile

breadboard tip #1 :
grab a switch, put 5v on one side, take other to motion trig clk in...
now by pressing the button, you can advance the clock on step at at time... useful for programming sequences on motion smile
jvt
baremountain wrote:

Nope! Audio out with no patching on the Mental should be a drone.

According to the documentation a drone from Mental without patching seems to indicate that you may need to adjust the trims. From the printed Mescaline manual, pg 19:

"...If an oscillation is present, try adjusting each pot by turning the sound on and off again by turning clockwise and then counter clockwise. These are set to nearly oscillate which provides the best results for triggering sound."...

I hear nothing from Mental unless I've patched triggers/gates into it from Motion or connected two points in the trigger section (which does generate self-oscillation). That seems to be the expected behavior.
Infinity Curve
You can definitely get drones out of mental, this is by design. That portion of the manual is regarding something else, I believe it's referring to a situation where mental is making noise with nothing patch to it at all. Patching certain points to other points will give you a sustained sound or drone. As with most things with mental, what's patched to what makes all the difference
jvt
That's pretty much what I said. Mental should not drone without some form of patching. That portion of the manual is exactly about that and what to do to correct it.
Infinity Curve
I think perhaps we are both just interpreting that post differently. I think they are just referring to not using triggers with mental, but self patching to achieve drones. With nothing patched at all, it should be silent, we agree there.
kwaidan
With Channel, is it easy to tune each key to a different note within a scale? Are the trim pots fiddly?
Infinity Curve
Not hard at all, the trimmers only cover about an octave, so it's easy to dial individual notes on each pad
St0rMl0rD
Infinity Curve wrote:
Not hard at all, the trimmers only cover about an octave, so it's easy to dial individual notes on each pad

They cover just a BIT under an octave, which is very annoying for me, as I can't configure an octave, haha. Oh well smile
Infinity Curve
Ya, I found this as well, I get from about a C to the A if I recall correctly. I've just been tuning to scales, and doubling up on some pads, but slightly detuning from the others
kwaidan
Thanks for the help Infinity Curve and St0rMl0rD. Two more voices would have been nice, but ten gets you thinking!
jimmie
My understanding of Channel's L and R:

L - dry: when mix is CCW
L - wet: when mix is CW
R - silent: when mix is CCW
R - wet: when mix is CW

now FX R in (left header) doesn't seem to work.. (inserting dummy plug to R in jack won't make any difference. I then tried Mental's audio directly jack-jack doesn't work either (with R in trimmer maxed out)).
Jim's computer beats
I got my unit last Friday. I wasn't sure I liked it at first... Channel left a good first impression (it's by far the easier panel to understand and get instant gratification, although it sounded distorted a bit, even after "calibrating" it), but the other two are harder to get into.

Couldn't get a sound out of Mental at first, which is the most cryptic of the three panels, by far. But after fiddling with it some more, and getting on the back of Channel to further calibrate it, I can say that I had several interesting results, and overall I'm very happy with it.

It definitely encourages experimentation, which is what drew me to it in the first place. That and the beautiful industrial sounds it can produce... Can't wait to get back for another session.
jimmie
Mental sounds totally different depending on the back trimmers. I'm fiddling with them a lot, if set just below self oscillate, most trigger sounds like synth tone rather than percussive. But backing off too much it will become too quiet that doesn't make sound at all. They also depends on trigger/gate/clock so seems need lots of experiments. Aaaand, when Mental is thru Channel it sounds SO lively and interesting; listening dry is kinda flat methinks.

Mine's R in jack/header seems to be half broken and I'm waiting for reply from them..
kwaidan
As jimmie notes, the trimmers on Mental really make a difference, and some of them should have had front panel access or even a dedicated pot.

That said, I think something is wrong with my board. It always emits a noise, even when volume is fully off. I get both a hum and osc noise.

I tried to adjust the noise trimmer, but it seems to have absolutely no effect.

I’ve gotten some nice percussive sounds, but the noise floor is way out of hand.

Also, I cannot get those white noise swooshes scene on the video.

I’ve contacted Folktek, but haven’t heard back.

Any ideas?
ipnoteca
if anyone is interested i am selling mine silver plate plus extras
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 13 of 15