MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers ES3 vs ES8
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Author Expert Sleepers ES3 vs ES8
orbita
Are you planning on using the ES8 at the same time as your main audio interface via aggregate device?

If so, I believe you need to sync the clock between them which may require you to connect them via ADAT anyway.
Joey P.
orbita wrote:
Are you planning on using the ES8 at the same time as your main audio interface via aggregate device?

No...Ableton will run on the ES-8 USB and Protools will run on my Apollos. No digital connection between them. Also debating moving Ableton and ES-8 to a separate laptop.
flipper16
tibbon wrote:
I've got an ES-3 and find Silentway to be a pain in the ass to use. I wish Ableton had something built-in that did that type of functionality and wasn't so... quirky? The calibration process for a VCO is really annoying and the interface is bad.

but the ES-3 itself it great.

WISH GRANTED! Om

johny_gtr
I hope after Ableton (and Bitwig) support of CV/GATE outputs, RME will create audio interface with reliable Windows drivers and support of dc outputs.

Idea of ES8 is interesting but I don't think that their AD have the same quality as RME
modul8tr
Perhaps, I’ve never used RME but know that people love the sound. For an interface primarily created to send cv/modulation I was actually quite pleased with the quality. My main interface is an Apollo 8p.
ckwjr
I'm excited about digging into the Ableton CV tools. I think the beta version is available now?
Joey P.
ckwjr wrote:
I'm excited about digging into the Ableton CV tools. I think the beta version is available now?

I have Live 10 but haven't delved in to the CV control. I'd imagine ES expanders will still require SW to access multiplexing? Honestly with full automation of SW plugins in Ableton, I'm actually very happy with SW and the ES modules.
modul8tr
I had it all going in minutes when I set it up two nights ago. Great experience so far. My ES-3 did not require the SW SMUX plugin with the ES-8. I’ve never needed his software at all. When I asked Andrew how I was getting 8 channels of 24/96 with the ES-3 attached he sent me this:

“The ADAT protocol intrinsically only supports operation at 44.1 or 48kHz. Most audio interfaces that run at double sample rates (88.1/96kHz) use two ADAT ports and a variant of ADAT known as 'SMUX' to support this.

The ES-8 takes a different approach. At 88.1/96kHz, every other audio sample on the ADAT outputs is thrown away, reducing the signal to 44.1/48khz. Thus, the full channel count on an attached ES-3 (for example) is maintained even at 96kHz. Similarly, every audio sample arriving on the ADAT input is doubled up”

I think this is what you’re referring to.
Joey P.
modul8tr wrote:
I had it all going in minutes when I set it up two nights ago. Great experience so far. My ES-3 did not require the SW SMUX plugin with the ES-8. I’ve never needed his software at all.

I think this is what you’re referring to.

I am thinking about the expansion modules....ES-5, ESX-8CV, ESC-8GT, etc. They require software to multiplex off of a stereo pair from the ES-3. These are accessed using SW ES-5 controller and ES-8CV combiner. For me this is the strength of the ES modules. I have 24 gates and 14 CV outputs over a single ADAT connection using ES SW software. I don't suppose Live supports those modules.
noeticsound
Joey P. wrote:
I am thinking about the expansion modules....ES-5, ESX-8CV, ESC-8GT, etc. They require software to multiplex off of a stereo pair from the ES-3. These are accessed using SW ES-5 controller and ES-8CV combiner. For me this is the strength of the ES modules. I have 24 gates and 14 CV outputs over a single ADAT connection using ES SW software. I don't suppose Live supports those modules.

I suspect that CV Tools don't convert to ES-5 and the other expanders natively. But Expert Sleepers released some Max externals that address those modules, so a bit of M4L hacking could bridge the gap.

This should be fun. Is the Live update out already?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2 [all]
Page 2 of 2