MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing the 3HP SDS_VCO+ADSR ENV+VCA!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Introducing the 3HP SDS_VCO+ADSR ENV+VCA!
Sandrine
Introducing the new SDS_VCO!

What? Another 3HP VCO?

This one is a bit different than anything before it, read on!

A key advantage is that because the SDS VCO has a built-in Envelope generator plus a real analog VCA, it's a huge space saver in any portable/mini rack.

It has desireable digital "overtones" on the softer sine & triangle lows that track with the tone, rather than fight the waveform with fixed digital sample rates, but has analog attributes at the higher frequencies.

This VCO uses variable sample rates to generate tones rather than the customary modern digital method of DSP and a fixed sample rate. This method offers very fast response, analog-like modulating, and a large variety of interesting waveforms.

An added feature is 3 waveform slots can be hand-drawn and saved permanently, plus one can record an actual waveform.

The VCO CV range is 5 octaves, unipolar, and can be quantized to all notes, one of 14 scales, or no quantizing. There is a +1 Octave switch, plus zero volts offset 1 octave + 3 notes, so the range is effectively 7+ octaves.
The Scales can of course be offset 1 octave by the MOD CV input.

When the MOD CV input is being used for a function other the modulating waveforms, the last 3.3 seconds has been recorded from the jack prior to changing the MOD CV's function, which is then used to continue modulating the waveforms so the MOD CV input can be used as Scales offset, Waveform selector offset, Env. Attack offset, or Env. Decay offset. All of these alternate functions can be used at once!

This module retains all settings, waveforms drawn in or recorded in, and even the MOD CV recording that was active at power-down. Basically, it powers up exactly as you left it, which is, again, really great for portable applications.

There's also a CV/Gate to MIDI notes option (small add-on board & MIDI patch) which takes care of yet more HP if MIDI is needed!

If or when there's an advance or change in the SDS_VCO's programming, new firmware can be downloaded as an mp3 file into your phone or computer, then played into the VCO CV jack to update. This method has been tested exhaustively and is very reliable.

For more on the SDS_VCO and some audio & video demo's: http://www.freshnelly.com/sdsvco/sdsvco.htm
Modular Grid: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sds-digital-sds-vco
Hateplow
Woah! Dense little device you have created. Congrats on the new release!
Looking forward to putting one together.
Paranormal Patroler
Wait, what?!? This can act as a CV-to-MIDI? woah
Please tell me you'll be using the Korg TRS mapping!

I'd love to learn more about it as I'm unsure when/if 2hp is indeed making such a module. A question that instantly comes to mind: Is there an option to buy the module w/ the MIDI expansion where the MIDI output jack replaces the audio output jack on the main module ? I'm only interested in the CV-to-MIDI functionality so I'd love to get a small module for this purpose.
Sandrine
Hateplow wrote:
Woah! Dense little device you have created. Congrats on the new release!
Looking forward to putting one together.

Thanks! It's pretty good as a kit, the smallest parts are 603 size smt and a .8mm pitch chip.

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Wait, what?!? This can act as a CV-to-MIDI? woah
Please tell me you'll be using the Korg TRS mapping!

I'd love to learn more about it as I'm unsure when/if 2hp is indeed making such a module. A question that instantly comes to mind: Is there an option to buy the module w/ the MIDI expansion where the MIDI output jack replaces the audio output jack on the main module ? I'm only interested in the CV-to-MIDI functionality so I'd love to get a small module for this purpose.

Yep, there's a MIDI output option.
It sends notes from A2(33) to A7 from the VCO CV, covering the entire GM drum range, on any channel, and if the 0V offset is used, the range is shifted up to A8 +3 notes (C10). If the MOD CV is set to offset, it can add another octave. If the +1 octave switch is on, everything is shifted up 1 octave also.

Korg TRS can be supported simply by inverting the jack on the MIDI board to the opposite side (to make tip hot, ring cold) but by default the jack is on top.

Running out to the panel for TRS would require a vertical stereo jack (unless you want to get ugly with wires!) of which I have none at the moment, although I had planned on getting some for a different project. Disconnecting audio is simple enough though wink

I have plans to offer alternate firmware for this module that will turn it into "other things" not MIDI related, so one more could be MIDI
Paranormal Patroler
Well colour me interested if you offer a CV-to-MIDI option. 3HP is not my favourite but I can push things around for sure if this becomes available.

I'll be keeping my eyes open! Thank you for what seems like a lovely design.
Sandrine
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Well colour me interested if you offer a CV-to-MIDI option. 3HP is not my favourite but I can push things around for sure if this becomes available.

I'll be keeping my eyes open! Thank you for what seems like a lovely design.

The module + MIDI expansion is available right now as or yesterday, but alternate firmware isn't yet, that'll take another day or two hihi
Sandrine
Here's sample using the SDS_VCO sequenced through a scale offset to A as a sole audio source.

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2017/sdsVcoRLLSliced.mp3

I used "Peak Slicing" on the Reflex LiveLoop recording in R/P mode and randomly dialed through different waveforms for 30 seconds or so.
Then the same sequencer's clock is used to to play the Slices of vco waves CV selected by a different sequence added to a 1/16 stepped sequence offset.
The Reflex's PlayFX is turned on and I slowly change the start & End positions of the Slices, as well as the LFO frequency modulating the still playing SDS_VCO, now offset to D, as a triangle.

It was really easy to control and seemed to always sound good so I just had to post it!
akrylik
The panel might be 3HP but isn't the width really 4HP once you have a ribbon cable plugged in? hmmm.....
chapelier fou
This is truly impressive.
jarcorbo
Want this! love

Which stores will be stocking these lil' beauties?
Sandrine
akrylik wrote:
The panel might be 3HP but isn't the width really 4HP once you have a ribbon cable plugged in? hmmm.....

Valid question!
To use several SDS_VCO's side by side, low profile (sans retainer) plugs must be used. The depth (4.5cm) is such that it can encroach behind adjacent modules, but on an outer flush wall would not work as there's about 2mm discrepancy even with a low profile plug

Also, if you have a deep case we can mount the box header facing downwards as a custom alternate. The main board is offset enough that the box header wouldn't interfere at all. smile

jarcorbo wrote:
Want this! love
Which stores will be stocking these lil' beauties?

None for a while, we are selling them direct
Sandrine
The SDS_VCO owner's manual is finally finished!

http://www.freshnelly.com/sdsvco/0-SDS_VCO_usersMan.pdf
Sandrine
Here's a sample using 2 SDS_VCO's and a bit of MIDI on one of them.
Both are on the same scale and using the same VCO CV from the sequencer, but only one is using a MOD CV offset while the other is using it's MOD input to control the Decay offset. I'm changing waveforms and envelopes by hand (of course!)

There's a short reverb for each VCO channel but mostly one VCO is playing on one side, while the other (the original prototype) is playing on the other.
MIDI is coming through on both sides.

http://www.freshnelly.com/tunes2017/2xSDS_VCOs-protoNew.mp3
Sandrine
My first minimal jam with the SDS_VCO:

Working on 2nd part of the Demo video right now!
Sandrine
SDS_VCO Demo Part 2 video is up!

This is a continuation of the more advanced parts of the SDS_VCO "behind the LED's" functions that had to wait until the features were finalized.

Attack & Decay offsets are covered, as well as Wave select offset, 0 volts root offset, Modulation "alternate use" recorder, and the MIDI expansion: sending notes and also percussion with velocity control.

Also there's some new audio samples at http://www.freshnelly.com/sdsvco/sdsvco.htm
Sandrine
The SDS_VCO MIDI expansion has caused a fair bit of confusion it seems hmmm.....
So a page on the site has just been added, which answers the question "CV to MIDI, what? Where?"

http://www.freshnelly.com/sdsvco/sdsvcoMIDI.htm

Benoua
Great job !! THe module pack a lots of feature. Gonna look around and might get one.

Cheers
Sandrine
Benoua wrote:
Great job !! THe module pack a lots of feature. Gonna look around and might get one.

Cheers

Thanks! We like to conserve space as much as possible in our own system so this seemed a good start
nimmen
Nice, this looks definitely like something I could use in my limited space rack. Great work
noeticsound
This looks great, Sandy! Does it come standard with a low profile plug?
jenz
Mine should arrive today with a RLL all equiped with expansion cards and midi connectors w00t MY ASS IS BLEEDING

Hello sleepless nights!!
Sandrine
noeticsound wrote:
This looks great, Sandy! Does it come standard with a low profile plug?

We are putting together low profile ribbons (custom lengths up to 12 inches) for $3 wink
Sandrine
Just a bit of goofy VCO+MIDI research results, surprising too!

Here's the SDS_VCO audio output (top) compared to MIDI output (bottom, on audio scope so MIDI sentence looks odd!)

As can be seen, there's only .5 mS latency between the SDS_VCO triggered audio's first PWM pulse waveform and the MIDI sentence (which is < 1mS long)
This is great!

Now look at this scary thing

That's a MIDI hat on Yammy V-drums. How can it take 6mS! Wow us musicians are pretty "layed back"! This wouldn't be acceptable in any other branch of electronics!

It gets worse. Here's the SDS_VCO audio out compared to yammy drums but fed through a PC first using USB MIDI:

23 mS! Strangely it's not that noticeable, but it's there. Guess hardware wins the day! I didn't think to try a software drum, but it's got to be around 18mS or so. Aaach! zombie
Sandrine
10 more pretties ready to go!

mokomo
Got mine - it sounds fantastic.
Such a slim module, I might have to pick up a few more!
Any way planned to upload custom waves? Also, might there be any patch points to make a diy expander for the envelope variables?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5