MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I've never been tempted by Eurorack... until I saw this.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author I've never been tempted by Eurorack... until I saw this.
alternating.bit
OMG... the design reminds me of 1960s Star Trek / Nomad.

snevlida14
Thats a pretty sweet setup for sure. I'm tempted by all types of synths , often. Haha cool
alternating.bit
At first I thought that top row was a mega sequencer, but now realize it may only be a graphic display.
JohnLRice
That was cool!
Huba-Swift
That was very cool! For me, Intellijel has almost made me want to get some euro. Today I got to try out the Metropolis+Atlantis+Rainmaker and it was an absolute blast! The metropolis especially. It would be very nice to have a similar sequencer in 5U.
facklr
I think every 5U'er should limit themselves to at least one euro skiff, set it down right in front of their 5U rig, and bask in the glory of using both formats together.

A Stillson Hammer mkII driving a 5U rig? Awesome.

MATHS and 5U? Awesome.

Pamela's Workout and 5U? Awesome.

Rene? Uh huh.

Trigger Riot? Shut the front door.

You don't even have to have a complete voice in euro, just the modules that 5U will never, ever have in a million years.

Right now I have my euro right in front of my Roland 100M and I've never been happier. Guess what? I sold my Dotcom and bought the Roland. Sue me.

It's not that big of a leap. You won't have to cut of your ponytail even.

You can keep your ponytail.
sduck
facklr wrote:
I think every 5U'er should limit themselves to at least one euro skiff, set it down right in front of their 5U rig, and bask in the glory of using both formats together.

Pretty much what i've been doing, but I'm not so much into limitations. I've got one pretty big 6U cabinet almost full, will need another one fairly soon.

I've got these 6 huge 5U cabinets already, more than full. Don't want the bother of building another one, and don't really have room for it anyway. So growing some euro in front of it seems like the right thing to do. Maths is pretty indispensible, and the Ornament and Crime is amazing. Not to mention almost all of the mutable stuff - I've got an elements, and a clouds lurking in 5U format.
alternating.bit
facklr wrote:
You don't even have to have a complete voice in euro, just the modules that 5U will never, ever have in a million years.

I'm not so sure about that considering there are a couple of 5U builders who are willing to transform any module you ask to 5U.
You can contact either Jason at FreestateFX, Analog Craftsman or even our own sduck.

As for me I know myself and I tend to have trouble moderating... if I let Eurorack into my home, it would either grow to another empire like my 5U one, or I'd end up ditching 5U for it and I don't want that to happen.
dubonaire
Very cool! Here is an interview about the video (there is a second rack off camera.)

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/06/exclusive-video-premiere- rex-the-dogs-teufelsberg/
kindredlost
alternating.bit wrote:
facklr wrote:

I'm not so sure about that considering there are a couple of 5U builders who are willing to transform any module you ask to 5U.
You can contact either Jason at FreestateFX, Analog Craftsman or even our own sduck.

As for me I know myself and I tend to have trouble moderating... if I let Eurorack into my home, it would either grow to another empire like my 5U one, or I'd end up ditching 5U for it and I don't want that to happen.

Not really interested in another debate about the formats, but I was of this same notion until I touched a toe into the tiny 3Universe. It is a different world in the way things are approached such as function per module and so on but the way you use the modular is still quite familiar and makes the larger format even more rewarding IMO.
After building the kind of modules in 3U that I couldn't find in 5U, I still enjoy the discrete approach to 5U better. It is a clearer process for me.

Need a sound? In 5U you cobble a few vco's, filters and EG's together as building blocks then modify endlessly each aspect with utility and modulation sources. In 3U, in some circumstances you have the "complete" voice already packaged in things like the Mysteron or Rings and are looking for ways to make something unusual out of it with other modules like random sources and so forth. Sort of an inverse approach to it like carving versus sculpting or modeling.

5U is more about the individual basic elements in a pure modular framework and 3U is more immediate in the efficiency of each module and diverse flavors from more designers.

I've often wanted to start a Serge or Buchla system to explore that realm as well, but my days of expansion are limited anymore. I think those formats are really more self contained and less favorable to cross-breeding than 5U/3U are. Of course I wouldn't know as I only have a very shallow idea of each of them. I have a couple of elements like the Sputnik/Buchla WCRS and Sputnik/Serge VC Slope modules. Just a hint of an idea what it might be like.

Lately I have been rebuilding my keyboard (polyphonic) setup to compliment the modular and balance things better in the way I make music. I have never really been a "noise maker" or experimental sound sculpting guru but more of a "song maker" in a classic soundtrack and ambient manner. So Buchla and Serge gear are less agreeable to my workflow than the building block approach like 5U, 3U and keyboards with distinct character provide.

In all, I don't think you would get quite as carried away as you think A.B. Your pretty familiar with how a modular works for you and I don't see the format change so foreign to your method that you would deviate away from 5U at all. At least that's my impression. When you added a drum module or keyboard did that make you abandon the modular? For some it would and that happens quite often. I read all the time about how people tried modular systems and sold them off to return to what they regarded as "a more functional studio setup" with conventional keyboards, soft synths and guitars etc.. I just don't see you having as much of a myopia or bias towards one over the other as some do. You seem to have found the usefulness of a modular and fit it into your music process very effectively. 3U is not that far removed from 5U except for the physical size and broader manufacturer base.

Just my rough opinion of it all.
alternating.bit
kindredlost wrote:
In all, I don't think you would get quite as carried away as you think A.B. Your pretty familiar with how a modular works for you and I don't see the format change so foreign to your method that you would deviate away from 5U at all. At least that's my impression. When you added a drum module or keyboard did that make you abandon the modular? For some it would and that happens quite often. I read all the time about how people tried modular systems and sold them off to return to what they regarded as "a more functional studio setup" with conventional keyboards, soft synths and guitars etc.. I just don't see you having as much of a myopia or bias towards one over the other as some do. You seem to have found the usefulness of a modular and fit it into your music process very effectively. 3U is not that far removed from 5U except for the physical size and broader manufacturer base.

Wow - such prophetic words, I appreciate the personal attention you just made with my modular journey. You're absolutely right, I'm sure of it. Yes, I have completely embraced modular as my sole production tool. Prefab synths are fun to mess around with from time to time but I love the work flow of my 5U system.
Ironically I just made a very significant change with my workflow this weekend. Up to now I've always recorded my material in a live-to-release fashion in that I'd pre-mix everything via my rack mixers run through a compressor then to either Minidisc or reel to reel tape with a few EQ & edits in post. I felt strongly about this because I didn't want to be bogged down with the laborious nature of isolated tracking and spend weeks mastering a single track, taking away from spontaneity and free form creativity. There has been a cost for this, however, which is that much of my material sounds muddy or poorly mastered. Sometimes that actually works as a gritty effect, but not always. At any rate I decided this weekend to finally make proper use of my rackmount Focusrite Scarlett DAW interface to record directly to my DAW using separate tracks for about 6 tracks (isolating bass, percussion and other parts for flexibility). Just from the test alone I recognize what a powerful method this is, even from a post-edit standpoint alone, apart from mastering, etc. I suspect I'll have a cleaner sound and more polished outputs as a result.
snevlida14
I've actually just spent the last few weeks getting a small euro skiff together. Shhhh don't tell the guys on the synthesizers.com Facebook page. Hahaha. I juts love synths and it was natural to want to have both. Its 2 different instruments. I'm not planning on getting rid of or replacing my 5u just wanted to build up a "little guy".
alternating.bit
snevlida14 wrote:
I'm not planning on getting rid of or replacing my 5u just wanted to build up a "little guy".

My "little guy":

robotmakers
My response to seeing this excellent video is, I think, a little different. I see excellent musicianship, a fine little composition, and interesting sample selection. In addition, there is some fine DIY work and a cute display. All of which, to my mind, is IN SPITE OF this being eurorack based, rather than particularly derived from the fact that this is done on a 3U sized system. This music could rather more easily and less expensively have been created "in the box" (i.e. solely with VSTs, etc.). It also could have been created on a 5U / DAW hybrid system.

The result is far more a function of the fine musicianship than the size of the panels.

Just my 2 cents,
Roger
alternating.bit
robotmakers wrote:
This music could rather more easily and less expensively have been created "in the box" (i.e. solely with VSTs, etc.). It also could have been created on a 5U / DAW hybrid system.

The same can be said for practically any music. You're talking to a tactile loving crowd so of course we'll be awed by the aesthic. If I heard the track blindly I would've thought it was pretty cool and moved on, but that's not what the post was about.
Eric the Red
I thought it was a cool track - the interview was also pretty cool. Seeing as this was recorded live made it even more impressive.

3U, 5U.... to me doesn't matter, just like what Roger said, it was a well done track.

Does this make me want to get some 3U? I'll explore what's out there. Does this make me want to get better at getting the most out of my baby 5U system? Yes!

As much as I enjoy a 30-minute opus of mainly robot farts, or dreamy ambient background space music, I really enjoy not just hearing. It seeing more mainstream samples of what Modular music can be.

-Eric
robotmakers
alternating.bit wrote:
robotmakers wrote:
This music could rather more easily and less expensively have been created "in the box" (i.e. solely with VSTs, etc.). It also could have been created on a 5U / DAW hybrid system.

The same can be said for practically any music. You're talking to a tactile loving crowd so of course we'll be awed by the aesthic. If I heard the track blindly I would've thought it was pretty cool and moved on, but that's not what the post was about.

Disagree. IMHO, most of the musical output on Muffs is based on opportunistic randomization where users rely on happy accidents within the unpredictability of complex patches. This music is not a function of that, and is therefore not a function of Eurorack vs. 5U or anything else. Moving on to the design of the pictured system - it is certainly beautiful, but the main elements are DIY and not things you can buy anyway, so being tempted to buy Eurorack is again an illogical conclusion to draw from viewing it.

YMMV,
Roger
alternating.bit
robotmakers wrote:
Disagree. IMHO, most of the musical output on Muffs is based on opportunistic randomization where users rely on happy accidents within the unpredictability of complex patches.
YMMV,
Roger

You're welcome to check out my discography to determine if I create nothing but happy accidents.

Point well taken on the DIY design vs Eurorack. Though sometimes it just takes a certain nudge to get one to even accept a format, which may be the case here, regardless of attainability.
Paradigm X
my latest noodling was called happy acidents (sic) fwiw hihi
JohnLRice
I appropriately wear this shirt proudly! hihi

alternating.bit
^ oh WOW - LOL.
robotmakers
Who doesn't love a happy accident?
newgreyarea
Huba-Swift wrote:
That was very cool! For me, Intellijel has almost made me want to get some euro. Today I got to try out the Metropolis+Atlantis+Rainmaker and it was an absolute blast! The metropolis especially. It would be very nice to have a similar sequencer in 5U.

For what it's worth, Intellijel is the reason I left euro and the only euro I have left.

The revisions. . . always right after I get something. The pain in the ass software updates. Then the issues I had with Rubicon, Dixie 1 & 2 and Korgasmatron. I finally said fuck it and decided to go 5U for real. Just got my case yesterday!

That being said, the Shapeshifter is probably my fave module. The Planar is also dope! . . . and the Rainmaker, though that doesn't feel at all finished yet.
MindMachine
Planar is a beast. A lot of functionality in that dude. And it's pretty.
Huba-Swift
newgreyarea wrote:
Huba-Swift wrote:

For what it's worth, Intellijel is the reason I left euro and the only euro I have left.

The revisions. . . always right after I get something. The pain in the ass software updates. Then the issues I had with Rubicon, Dixie 1 & 2 and Korgasmatron. I finally said fuck it and decided to go 5U for real. Just got my case yesterday!

That being said, the Shapeshifter is probably my fave module. The Planar is also dope! . . . and the Rainmaker, though that doesn't feel at all finished yet.

So you left eurorack because of intellijel, but ended up getting rid of all your eurorack except the intellijel modules? That doesn't seem to make too much sense. Are you saying that nobody has wanted to buy the intellijel modules off of you yet?

I get were you're coming from with the software updates, they should probably just finish the modules properly before selling them so software updates are unnecessary. This kind of thing is frustrating.

Right now I'm mostly eyeing the metropolis though, so I don't really care too much about their other modules as long as that one is good. I simply cannot find a sequencer like that in 5U. If anyone were to point me to a similar sequencer in 5U I'd take it (but not now, I'm poor!). If I do get some euro it would probably be a couple of metropolis's, a 4ms QCD, and some kind of trigger sequencer. The Intellijel Tetrapad looks cool too though.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2