MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Build Thread] MFOS 12 Channel Vocoder
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music From Outer Space  
Author [Build Thread] MFOS 12 Channel Vocoder
Bodo1967
Hi,

I just started building the MFOS vocoder so I figured we might as well have some documentation, pics etc.

The pcb arrived last week, they are now black instead of green smile:

I just started the usual way - small parts first. It doesn't look like much yet, but there's already about 100 resistors on the pcb:

I just went the "first use what you have at home anyway, then double check with the BOM and order what you need" route.

In the meantime (pics will follow), most of the resistors are on the pcb, except for 28 (or so) 10 kOhm, which are on their way, and a few of the less common values such as 160 kOhm or 1.2 MOhm, which I have to order since I don't have these values in stock.

I'm using 1 % metal film reistors throughout.

The diodes are all on the pcb as well - I used 1N4148 instead of 1N914 since I had them, and never encountered any problems in previous projects when using the 4148 instead of a 914.

And yesterday I soldered all but one (since I was short of one DIP 14 socket hihi Dead Banana ) IC sockets.

That's it for now, more to come soon grin.
frankaponte
This one has been on my list for a while. Excited to see the process.
Bodo1967
Some progress with the Vocoder.

Most resistors (what I had at home, there's only a few missing now), all diodes and all IC sockets are on the board:

Then I did the 100 nF caps. 86 of them smile.

Some more caps, and 11 of the 17 transistors - as I said, what I had lying around.

That's it for today smile. I just ordered the remaining parts so hopefully I can continue soon.

I also hope to get my Jasper synth finished within the next few weeks, and I am building a self-designed keyboard for my TTSH, which will include outputs two LFOs, portamento/glide, and a pitch bend wheel (it's not the 3620). I tested the LFOs today, and they work great, just need a little calibration concerning the sine shape. I think I will present it (including build pics) when it's finished.
Bodo1967
I received the rest of the parts today and found the time to solder them in...

All resistors and transistors are now on the board:

Trimmer pots came next:

Then the remaining caps - the green ones are the 5 % film caps:

The next things to do...

* design and build a case
* design and make a panel
* put the ICs into their sockets
* connect the panel mounted parts
* test and calibrate
frankaponte
Looking good, thanks for the update.

-Frank
Bodo1967
Case building is mostly finished by now. It'll be a desktop unit, not a 19 inch rack device. I just so managed to cram the 10 pots, 3 jacks and 3 switches on the front panel. The layout print is still attached to it, but the aluminum panel is ready* and has all required holes drilled in it.

* I'll print the layout on transparent self-adhesive inkjet foil, cover it with varnish spray, and attach it to the sheet aluminum. This has proven to work out well (I made the front panel of the MFOS synth on my avatar pic in the same way).

The cover plate and the 'frame' for the aluminum panel are also ready, the paint is drying just now. These will not be glued but mounted with a few screws for better access.
Bodo1967
The enclosure is now ready for the final assembly (the casing itself is glued, the cover and the font panel in its 'frame' will be mouted with some screws after the pcb & psu are installed inside.

The next things to do (updated)...

[done] design and build a case
[done] design and make a panel
* connect the panel mounted parts
* test and calibrate
Bodo1967
I have now started wiring the front panel.

Preparing the shielded wire according to Ray's instructions on the MFOS site. The green wire will be connected to ground on the panel side.

About half of it is done now, hope I can do the rest tomorrow or on the weekend.

The PSU is firmly mounted and tested to my satisfaction.
synthcube
fantastic! thank you for posting!

for anyone interested in the mundane business of producing pcbs, the original stock of Ray's PCBs that we acquired are GREEN while new runs of the PCBs (when the legacy stock is sold out) are BLACK- like outer space, get it?

The Vocoder was one of the first designs to reequire a new run of PCBS, hence the black color.
Bodo1967
Bodo1967 wrote:
I have now started wiring the front panel. [...]

About half of it is done now, hope I can do the rest tomorrow or on the weekend.

Did the rest today. Wire bundle for the mic/line level switches located at the intrument and control inputs:

And that's how it looks now:

[done] connect the panel mounted parts/panel side
* connect the panel mounted parts/pcb side
* test and calibrate
Bodo1967
S'more, I more or less finished the build - hopefully! - yesterday and today.

Connected the front panel wires to the pcb:

An overview of the panel and the pcb, wiring finished:

PSU connected, pcb mounted in the enclosure, and ICs placed in their sockets:

[done] put the ICs into their sockets
[done] connect the panel mounted parts/panel side
[done] connect the panel mounted parts/pcb side
* test and calibrate
* put knobs on the pots
* put cover on
Bodo1967
Well then...

Bodo1967 wrote:
* test and calibrate
* put knobs on the pots
* put cover on

I calibrated and tested the vocoder on Saturday - just had one minor issue (pulse width ofthe internal oscillator was about 15 % or so, and changed only very little when turning the knob. Desoldered the pot, made sure I had the correct value installed (which was the case), soldered it back in... dan then it worked grin. Probably some bad solder point, whatever seriously, i just don't get it .

Anyway, it's now in my music room where it belongs grin.

This is how it looks with the knobs (the cover is of course now on top, while the vocoder is still open on this pic):

synthcube
lovely!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music From Outer Space  
Page 1 of 1