MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Do I NEED Cold Mac????
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Do I NEED Cold Mac????
Tummler
Just ordered my second Mangrove osc. For mixing, vca, envelopes, etc, I currently have 2 Frequency Central ADSRs, Manhattan Analog VCA, Make Noise Ldx, 2hp mix and a Manhattan Analog CVP.

Do I need a Cold Mac? Is there anything it can do that the above modules can't? Or will I have more options with what I've already got?
mathomas
Yeah, you definitely need it. You're welcome. That's what we come here for, isn't it? Miley Cyrus

But seriously, I'll be watching this thread with interest.
jarcorbo
I vote yes applause

Check out this (sort of) tutorial: http://doudoroff.com/cold-mac/

Mixing, Cross fading/panning, analog logic, envelope following, wave folding - all can be used independently or meta-controlled with the survey knob. Plus the survey knob generates 6 variations of cv with nothing patched. Love mine! love
Tummler
Will it replace all of the modules I've mentioned? I don't have room for Cold Mac and all the others
bobbcorr
Tummler wrote:
Will it replace all of the modules I've mentioned? I don't have room for Cold Mac and all the others

No. It won't "replace" those. But I would think you could lose one of the ADSRs (6HP) and the 2HP Mix for the Cold Mac. It's certainly more than capable of serving as a mixer, but it also does So Much More.

Exactly how much of that "so much more" you are able to access will depend on your willingness to experiment. Cold Mac does not reveal itself easily, but when it does, a thousand flowers bloom.
mdoudoroff
Speaking as the person who wrote the tutorial referenced above: proceed with caution. As bobbcorr hints at, Cold Mac—more than other Mannequins modules—demands a mentality. If you have Serge-ish leanings and love nothing more than experimenting, particularly with exploring making things interact with each other in unexpected ways, then you may find Cold Mac to be a joy. If you like your utilities to be straightforward and predictable (utilitarian), then you may find Cold Mac to be a dud.
loachhat
Mmmmm yeah I wouldn't replace any basic utilities with it, personally, even though it could.
coolshirtdotjpg
There are some obvious things you can do with it, like with slight self-patching you can use the crossfade/wavefolder section to make it act more like a traditional wavefolder, you can CV crossfade or pan very easily, but I have found it more involved to use it to its full potential.
Auto Da Fe
Cold Mac excels at animating so many different parts of a patch in related but subtle ways, I can't imagine working without it. By the end of most sessions, I can't even remember patching almost every in and output, but sure enough, they're all plugged up!

I also love the overdriven sound of the mac output when using it primarily as a VCA.
xthrasherx
I ask myself this question every day... pretty sure the answer is yes lol
adh82
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
There are some obvious things you can do with it, like with slight self-patching you can use the crossfade/wavefolder section to make it act more like a traditional wavefolder

Could you please elaborate on this? I'd love to get some more traditional wavefolding sounds out of it!
potatobrain
I've tried to use Cold Mac as a VCA for velocity purposes, but found out that it clicks when the difference between two cv messages is big enough. Manual says it reacts well to slow cv changes. So keep that in mind.
ookrsia
I just got a Cold Mac and it sure seems like a keeper!
basicbasic
I found that I used certain parts of it more than others and wanted finer control so sold mine in favour of a dedicated rectifier, folder, min/max and other utilities.
funky catsmell
Cold Mac is an awesome module, but I personally tend to end up using it as a bundle of utilities and neglect the patch surveillance functionality. I can't imagine selling it though—recently gave in and added a Maths to my system, and the two of them go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

It was also the first VCA in my system which it... did not excel at. Never seemed to fully close. Using it to warp control voltages or crossfade between sources (or between cv sources patched into other channels of itself, transitioning from half-rectified to wavefolded LFO shapes—!), though, it performs beautifully.

Popping is definitely an issue. I've tried using the slope in/follow out to smooth out the CV, but it never seems to work quite as expected. Maths (or a low pass filter, or any other slew limiter) can help here.
ookrsia
funky catsmell wrote:
Cold Mac is an awesome module, but I personally tend to end up using it as a bundle of utilities and neglect the patch surveillance functionality. I can't imagine selling it though—recently gave in and added a Maths to my system, and the two of them go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

It was also the first VCA in my system which it... did not excel at. Never seemed to fully close.

Popping is definitely an issue. I've tried using the slope in/follow out to smooth out the CV, but it never seems to work quite as expected.

Is there any specific way you find Maths and Cold Mac especially useful together? Or is it just generally and the stuff you mentioned (smoothing the CV etc.)

My Cold Mac fortunately does close fully, but at times when mixing audio there appears a buzzing sound. I don’t yet understand what is causing it.
lisa
Cold Mac is such an intriguing module but after watching every available video featuring it and still not getting it at all I’ve given up and scratched it from my want list. I guess I’m just too simple. hmmm.....
funky catsmell
ookrsia wrote:

Is there any specific way you find Maths and Cold Mac especially useful together? Or is it just generally and the stuff you mentioned (smoothing the CV etc.)

I would say that Cold Mac can be used instead of the "middle" of Maths, but with voltage control, and extra functions. It makes Maths... Mathsier. Simplest possible example I can think of is fading between Maths channel 1 and 2 (patched into Cold Mac left and right).

Honestly, I sat down at the modular just now and tried to come up with something uniquely possible with that combo—and failed. Anything I did could be replicated with a combination of VCAs, modulation sources, slew limiters, max/min selectors, rectifiers, etc, but the beautiful thing about both modules is that all of that is available. They're utilities, and they're very good at it—one at generating, the other at processing.
moremagic
no. there is no particular module that you need. what you need is to be able to play with the functions that you desire from any particular module Miley Cyrus
lisa
lisa wrote:
Cold Mac is such an intriguing module but after watching every available video featuring it and still not getting it at all I’ve given up and scratched it from my want list. I guess I’m just too simple. hmmm.....

I've been watching the same videos several times more and have acquired some general modular knowledge along the way..

I'm starting to get it, I think. screaming goo yo And the allure is growing! So much so that I got one the other day. smile
BlinkyLights
What does "patch surveillance" mean in this context?
cackland
I was really tempted a while ago, however just couldn't push the purchase button. Might have to re-watch the tutorials again...
mdoudoroff
BlinkyLights wrote:
What does "patch surveillance" mean in this context?

A form of macro control.
OHEXOH
I highly recommend reading the Cold Mac Technical Map. In there you will find everything you need to know about the Cold Mac can do. Personally, I discovered it can be a compressor/expander amongst many other things.

https://github.com/whimsicalraps/Mannequins-Technical-Maps
starthief
Apparently I needed a Cold Mac because I just bought one.

I've been tempted for a while, but finally convinced myself I needed both a crossfader and an input VCA for Via Scanner, among other things...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2