MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Kammerl Beat-Repeat Effect for Clouds
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author Kammerl Beat-Repeat Effect for Clouds
Junk Rhythm
jkammerl wrote:
I'm considering removing the feedback parameter and replacing it with a slice selection parameter to access/jump between previously recorded slices in memory (in real-time). Let me know what you think.

+1 for slice selection
Chopper
slice selection indeed!!!
if i can have a tiny suggestion:

the rest of the clouds functions are indeed unchanged, BUT: there is some thing in Parasite that is vital to the way i work, and a few fellow wigglers told me they liked it as well, the fact that the reverb in the parasite firmware is POST mix rather than PRE, thus allows a huge reverb with just a bit of Clouds mix.
would it be possible to include this, or if it is a problem, to include your (fantastic) mode as an add-on to parasite as well as the official Clouds firmware? i know i am being pickish here, but hey.

thanks a lot in any case SlayerBadger!
risome
TommyRaddcliff wrote:
jkammerl wrote:
cool, thanks for sharing the video. The distortion at min 3:00 doesn't sound right to me.. this might be a bug - I'll investigate it soon. In general, the feedback parameter can quickly lead to distortion - be careful with it. I'm considering removing the feedback parameter and replacing it with a slice selection parameter to access/jump between previously recorded slices in memory (in real-time). Let me know what you think.

Here's another fun session I found on YT:

i LIKE the suggestion. ya the feedback gets harsh quick.

thanks for the sick addition to clouds!

Who said that break was dead Miley Cyrus
Mercutio
Junk Rhythm wrote:
jkammerl wrote:
I'm considering removing the feedback parameter and replacing it with a slice selection parameter to access/jump between previously recorded slices in memory (in real-time). Let me know what you think.

+1 for slice selection

+1 but on replacing the pich modulation (i can modulate the pitch with an external LFO)
cliffemu
^wouldnt it be too difficult to match the pitch modulation with the loop points? Especially with the auto slicing? It seems like what he's done with it is very clever and saves an extra trigger source and complex cv source (like tides) or are you saying having things like the pitch program makes the module ultimately less flexible? I guess I can understand that.
VanEck
haven't installed this yet, but here's a +1 for slice selection. i can patch up my own feedback loop if i want it... being able to scrub slices though, that would be a unique and interesting feature.
cannonball swandive
+1 for slice selection applause
hyena
tried it today.
must say some very similar effects can be obtained with the parasite version of the delay\looper when clocking it.
not the same but similar territory.
this is nice but agree a slice selection control might step it forward and make it unique. as is i don't know if i'm willing to sacrifice parasite options for this.
jkammerl
The slice selection feature is coming soon.. It's really fun which is the reason why I haven't found time to prepare the release update smile Stay tuned!
jkammerl
Thanks everybody for the great feedback!
Here comes the V0.2 update: http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/

- It now keeps the 8 most recently recorded slices in memory and allows to scrub through them (fun!)
- Allows to select different slice selection patterns (including random slice selection)
- I fixed the warm distortion bug (TommyRaddcliff@, this should be working now for you)
- Knobs are reassigned: Loop size modulation moved to "Density", Pitch modulation moved to Blend "Feedback" parameter.
- Blend Feedback parameter has been removed.

The updated documentation can be found here:
http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/

Since I received a few requests to share the firmware binary, here it is:
http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/downloads/clouds_kammerl_firmware_v 02.bin

Any comments, feedback, suggestions, concerns, etc. are greatly appreciated!
And I'd love to see videos of your slicing sessions smile
Ptbarnum
MY ASS IS BLEEDING MY ASS IS BLEEDING
cannonball swandive
Wow, that was fast! Rockin' Banana!
IImyment
applause
cliffemu
Tried the new version. For my purposes (glitch beats), I went back to the original version. The slice selection doesn't do anything for me because I'm already sending in chaotic audio. I could imagine it would be good against a repetitive loop.
The feedback control of the original adds so much. I don't think it could be replicated externally because of the internal routing and the play off the clock divider blend control (if only I could CV both of them at the same time). I'd like to suggest a buffer reverse control if possible. The freeze input could be used for it. Thanks again to jkammerl for developing this.
jkammerl
I wish Clouds would have more knobs and CV inputs. My original intention was to port the KK VST plugins to clouds. However, I can see why the feedback effect might be more suitable for glitch beats than for instance the more subtle warm distortion effect (fixed in v0.2). Would it make sense to replace the warm distortion effect with the feedback parameter in the next iteration. What do you think?

ps. the next update is likely to have reverse slice playback smile
Chopper
It does make sense. Trying to fit all of your plugins into one Clouds mode only is always gonna be a tricky affair plagued with difficult compromises, so to me, concentrating on just one (or having the others in individual modes! SlayerBadger! ) would allow more control and a better experience indeed...)

Oh, and i know i am being annoying here, but having the reverb amount in the original Clouds mode POST blend is what stops me from leaving parasite and moving fully to your firmware. Is there a way this could be achieved???
jkammerl
Does anyone feel strongly against moving the reverb processing POST blend? I'd prefer keeping the original modes untouched but if that's everybody's wish, I can do it.
mazzyboy
Is there any possibility of seeing this firmware merged with parasites?

Would there be enough room for both? Or perhaps an installation app that lets you choose which modes you want to install? (I think I could sacrifice the spectral madness mode for this!)

Or perhaps the other way round? Could the Oliverb, improved looping delay and and Resonator modes be added to your new mode?
cliffemu
I liked the warm distortion too but maybe that's the easiest thing to replicate elsewhere and non-essential to the mix of functions.
Reverb moved to post blend is fine if you want to implement it.

How do you see your software in Clouds being used differently than people use your plugins? What drew you into looking at eurorack?
BlackDoors
jkammerl wrote:
Does anyone feel strongly against moving the reverb processing POST blend? I'd prefer keeping the original modes untouched but if that's everybody's wish, I can do it.

Yes!

I think this is immensely useful for all stock and parasites clouds modes, because clouds works brilliantly this way to provide subtle sonic 'sprinkles' PLUS the 'main' reverb on the dry sound, gluing the wet and dry together and avoiding the need for a separate reverb. Of course, the fact that the reverb has a great character means it can be used as a reverb without sprinkles as well.

John
BlackDoors
mazzyboy wrote:
Is there any possibility of seeing this firmware merged with parasites?

Would there be enough room for both? Or perhaps an installation app that lets you choose which modes you want to install? (I think I could sacrifice the spectral madness mode for this!)

Or perhaps the other way round? Could the Oliverb, improved looping delay and and Resonator modes be added to your new mode?

A merger would be just amazing.

John
Chopper
BlackDoors wrote:
jkammerl wrote:

Yes!

I think this is immensely useful for all stock and parasites clouds modes, because clouds works brilliantly this way to provide subtle sonic 'sprinkles' PLUS the 'main' reverb on the dry sound, gluing the wet and dry together and avoiding the need for a separate reverb. Of course, the fact that the reverb has a great character means it can be used as a reverb without sprinkles as well.

John

i believe he is mentioning the way the reverb is implemented, not getting rid of it. the point is about standard firmware (reverb pre-blend) VS parasite (reverb post-blend)
templar
post blend please!
The Illuminaire
Damn it, it is *really* hard not to grab a Clouds now. >_<
Tubefund
Recently bought a clouds. Installed Parasites after a couple of days but went back to original firmware after a week because i somehow didn't connect to the module anymore. BUT... This is awesome, regulare clouds modes untouched and One serious mental bonus mode. Thanks for sharing and all effort made. Me like thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 3 of 17