Kammerl Beat-Repeat Effect for Clouds

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker

Post by Junk Rhythm » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 pm

jkammerl wrote:I'm considering removing the feedback parameter and replacing it with a slice selection parameter to access/jump between previously recorded slices in memory (in real-time). Let me know what you think.
+1 for slice selection

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:22 am

slice selection indeed!!!
if i can have a tiny suggestion:

the rest of the clouds functions are indeed unchanged, BUT: there is some thing in Parasite that is vital to the way i work, and a few fellow wigglers told me they liked it as well, the fact that the reverb in the parasite firmware is POST mix rather than PRE, thus allows a huge reverb with just a bit of Clouds mix.
would it be possible to include this, or if it is a problem, to include your (fantastic) mode as an add-on to parasite as well as the official Clouds firmware? i know i am being pickish here, but hey.

thanks a lot in any case :sb:

risome
Wiggling with Experience

Post by risome » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:29 am

TommyRaddcliff wrote:
jkammerl wrote:cool, thanks for sharing the video. The distortion at min 3:00 doesn't sound right to me.. this might be a bug - I'll investigate it soon. In general, the feedback parameter can quickly lead to distortion - be careful with it. I'm considering removing the feedback parameter and replacing it with a slice selection parameter to access/jump between previously recorded slices in memory (in real-time). Let me know what you think.

Here's another fun session I found on YT:

[video][/video]
i LIKE the suggestion. ya the feedback gets harsh quick.

thanks for the sick addition to clouds!
Who said that break was dead :miley:

Mercutio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Mercutio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:42 am

Junk Rhythm wrote:
jkammerl wrote:I'm considering removing the feedback parameter and replacing it with a slice selection parameter to access/jump between previously recorded slices in memory (in real-time). Let me know what you think.
+1 for slice selection
+1 but on replacing the pich modulation (i can modulate the pitch with an external LFO)

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:27 am

^wouldnt it be too difficult to match the pitch modulation with the loop points? Especially with the auto slicing? It seems like what he's done with it is very clever and saves an extra trigger source and complex cv source (like tides) or are you saying having things like the pitch program makes the module ultimately less flexible? I guess I can understand that.

VanEck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VanEck » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:29 am

haven't installed this yet, but here's a +1 for slice selection. i can patch up my own feedback loop if i want it... being able to scrub slices though, that would be a unique and interesting feature.
DISHEVELED -- PROMETHEUS BURNING -- FOUR PI MOVEMENT

SysEx Dumpster podcast - modular, gear, and other garbage

cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am

+1 for slice selection :yay:

hyena
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hyena » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:42 am

tried it today.
must say some very similar effects can be obtained with the parasite version of the delay\looper when clocking it.
not the same but similar territory.
this is nice but agree a slice selection control might step it forward and make it unique. as is i don't know if i'm willing to sacrifice parasite options for this.

jkammerl
Common Wiggler

Post by jkammerl » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:16 pm

The slice selection feature is coming soon.. It's really fun which is the reason why I haven't found time to prepare the release update :) Stay tuned!

jkammerl
Common Wiggler

Post by jkammerl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Thanks everybody for the great feedback!
Here comes the V0.2 update: http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/

- It now keeps the 8 most recently recorded slices in memory and allows to scrub through them (fun!)
- Allows to select different slice selection patterns (including random slice selection)
- I fixed the warm distortion bug (TommyRaddcliff@, this should be working now for you)
- Knobs are reassigned: Loop size modulation moved to "Density", Pitch modulation moved to Blend "Feedback" parameter.
- Blend Feedback parameter has been removed.

The updated documentation can be found here:
http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/

Since I received a few requests to share the firmware binary, here it is:
http://www.kammerl.de/audio/clouds/down ... re_v02.bin

Any comments, feedback, suggestions, concerns, etc. are greatly appreciated!
And I'd love to see videos of your slicing sessions :)

Ptbarnum
Common Wiggler

Post by Ptbarnum » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:54 pm

:omg: :omg:

cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:55 am

Wow, that was fast! :bananaguitar:

IImyment
Learning to Wiggle

Post by IImyment » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:56 am

:yay:

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:30 pm

Tried the new version. For my purposes (glitch beats), I went back to the original version. The slice selection doesn't do anything for me because I'm already sending in chaotic audio. I could imagine it would be good against a repetitive loop.
The feedback control of the original adds so much. I don't think it could be replicated externally because of the internal routing and the play off the clock divider blend control (if only I could CV both of them at the same time). I'd like to suggest a buffer reverse control if possible. The freeze input could be used for it. Thanks again to jkammerl for developing this.

jkammerl
Common Wiggler

Post by jkammerl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:42 pm

I wish Clouds would have more knobs and CV inputs. My original intention was to port the KK VST plugins to clouds. However, I can see why the feedback effect might be more suitable for glitch beats than for instance the more subtle warm distortion effect (fixed in v0.2). Would it make sense to replace the warm distortion effect with the feedback parameter in the next iteration. What do you think?

ps. the next update is likely to have reverse slice playback :)

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 pm

It does make sense. Trying to fit all of your plugins into one Clouds mode only is always gonna be a tricky affair plagued with difficult compromises, so to me, concentrating on just one (or having the others in individual modes! :sb: ) would allow more control and a better experience indeed...)

Oh, and i know i am being annoying here, but having the reverb amount in the original Clouds mode POST blend is what stops me from leaving parasite and moving fully to your firmware. Is there a way this could be achieved???

jkammerl
Common Wiggler

Post by jkammerl » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:45 pm

Does anyone feel strongly against moving the reverb processing POST blend? I'd prefer keeping the original modes untouched but if that's everybody's wish, I can do it.

mazzyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mazzyboy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:17 am

Is there any possibility of seeing this firmware merged with parasites?

Would there be enough room for both? Or perhaps an installation app that lets you choose which modes you want to install? (I think I could sacrifice the spectral madness mode for this!)

Or perhaps the other way round? Could the Oliverb, improved looping delay and and Resonator modes be added to your new mode?

cliffemu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cliffemu » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 am

I liked the warm distortion too but maybe that's the easiest thing to replicate elsewhere and non-essential to the mix of functions.
Reverb moved to post blend is fine if you want to implement it.

How do you see your software in Clouds being used differently than people use your plugins? What drew you into looking at eurorack?

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:00 am

jkammerl wrote:Does anyone feel strongly against moving the reverb processing POST blend? I'd prefer keeping the original modes untouched but if that's everybody's wish, I can do it.
Yes!

I think this is immensely useful for all stock and parasites clouds modes, because clouds works brilliantly this way to provide subtle sonic 'sprinkles' PLUS the 'main' reverb on the dry sound, gluing the wet and dry together and avoiding the need for a separate reverb. Of course, the fact that the reverb has a great character means it can be used as a reverb without sprinkles as well.

John
Last edited by BlackDoors on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:01 am

mazzyboy wrote:Is there any possibility of seeing this firmware merged with parasites?

Would there be enough room for both? Or perhaps an installation app that lets you choose which modes you want to install? (I think I could sacrifice the spectral madness mode for this!)

Or perhaps the other way round? Could the Oliverb, improved looping delay and and Resonator modes be added to your new mode?
A merger would be just amazing.

John

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:47 am

BlackDoors wrote:
jkammerl wrote:Does anyone feel strongly against moving the reverb processing POST blend? I'd prefer keeping the original modes untouched but if that's everybody's wish, I can do it.
Yes!

I think this is immensely useful for all stock and parasites clouds modes, because clouds works brilliantly this way to provide subtle sonic 'sprinkles' PLUS the 'main' reverb on the dry sound, gluing the wet and dry together and avoiding the need for a separate reverb. Of course, the fact that the reverb has a great character means it can be used as a reverb without sprinkles as well.

John
i believe he is mentioning the way the reverb is implemented, not getting rid of it. the point is about standard firmware (reverb pre-blend) VS parasite (reverb post-blend)

templar
Common Wiggler

Post by templar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:41 pm

post blend please!

The Illuminaire
Wiggling with Experience

Post by The Illuminaire » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:23 pm

Damn it, it is *really* hard not to grab a Clouds now. >_<

Tubefund
Common Wiggler

Post by Tubefund » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:28 am

Recently bought a clouds. Installed Parasites after a couple of days but went back to original firmware after a week because i somehow didn't connect to the module anymore. BUT... This is awesome, regulare clouds modes untouched and One serious mental bonus mode. Thanks for sharing and all effort made. Me like :tu:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”