MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

bulk cable
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author bulk cable
haricots
Here's an easy, dumb question:

What type of cable do I need buy (bulk) in order to make my own 1/8" / 1/4" patch cables?
Cat-A-Tonic
I vote Coaxial.
Kent
I'm not sure of what parameters you are looking to define.

Keep in mind that 1/4" jack shells (the collars) will accommodate a fatter wire. Beyond that, use some flexible & preferably shielded cable.
haricots
I'm wanting to make some 1/4" to 1/8" cables so I'm thinking the cable needs to be thin enough to accommodate the 1/8" connector.

I was just wondering what people generally use - coax seems like it would be really stiff, is it not? Or is there some flexible version.
Cat-A-Tonic
The Blacet DIY cable kit uses coax.
I'm pretty fond of those.
Add some color coded shrinkwrap to the ends behind the plug sleeves.
That will help thicken it up to better match the 1/4" too.
GCF
haricots wrote:
I was just wondering what people generally use - coax seems like it would be really stiff, is it not? Or is there some flexible version.

Not coax like what you would hook up to your cable TV. Coax meaning a center conductor surrounded by shielding, a conductive layer around that, and another shielding layer. (I don't know if this is why you asked, so I apologize if you already knew this information.)

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coax_cable for images.
neandrewthal
GCF wrote:
haricots wrote:

Not coax like what you would hook up to your cable TV. Coax meaning a center conductor surrounded by shielding, a conductive layer around that, and another shielding layer. (I don't know if this is why you asked, so I apologize if you already knew this information.)

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coax_cable for images.

Even that stuff is stiffer than any patch cables I've used. There is a special kind for patch cords and test leads, but I can't think of the name.

This is the best I could come up with. Probably too thick, but getting closer.
GCF
neandrewthal wrote:

Even that stuff is stiffer than any patch cables I've used. There is a special kind for patch cords and test leads, but I can't think of the name.

This is the best I could come up with. Probably too thick, but getting closer.

The link looks like the same type of "light-weight coax" that Blacet uses in the DIY cable pack. The Blacet site doesn't say what the gauge is, though. I'm sure he would let you know if you emailed him.

The Blacet cable does feel a little stiffer than Doepfer cables. But so much that they are poor for patching.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1