MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

fun times with cassette 4 track recorders
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author fun times with cassette 4 track recorders
controlFreak
Post your adventures w cassettes!


My Tascam 414 runs at doublespeed for more "HiFi" sound quality meh . Alas, my 60 minute tapes are reduced to 15 minutes per side. And I'm afraid I need to open it up because tracks 3 and 4 are intermittent and don't come through to monitor. waah


Please rewind
nigel_mck
The adventure hasn't quite started yet, waiting to hear back from this craigslist ad: https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/msg/6022880588.html

I realllly hope this thing works out, I can't wait to make droney chords!

Some inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8og3ddJTvq0
Hainbach
Here is one:



I started this tape exchange with fellow wiggler Jogging House:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BShJB0JjbBb/?taken-by=hainbach101
I recorded on track 1 and a click on track 4.
He did this on track 2:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSn-djbAP8G/?taken-by=jogginghouse

Going to record on track 3 next week and mix it!
Trigga
uff, sadly sold my Tascam 688 and 644... those were adventures.
i.murray.fraser
I have a portastudio that I've owned since 2003. I have plans for some four track fun in the near future. I love cassette tapes. I have a old portable player in my office and walkman that I listen to while I walk.

Hainbach those are nice sounds, and a great way to collaborate!
Petesasqwax
nigel_mck wrote:
Some inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8og3ddJTvq0


This is superb and an excellent idea. You could do it on an 8 track recorder and have all the notes within a mode, for example, allowing you to bring them in and out and have an evolving backdrop of complex chord drones upon which you could introduce melodies within the mode.

I don't have an 8 track but I'm thinking I could loop tones on my laptop using Ableton or something much simpler, in fact, then run that through guitar pedals and into my DAW, layering synths and drums over it . The possibilities are immense!
aokjoey0
I really miss the functionality of my Tascam Portastudio MKII.
Not the fidelity...
MindMachine
Hainbach wrote:
Here is one:



I started this tape exchange with fellow wiggler Jogging House:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BShJB0JjbBb/?taken-by=hainbach101
I recorded on track 1 and a click on track 4.
He did this on track 2:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BSn-djbAP8G/?taken-by=jogginghouse

Going to record on track 3 next week and mix it!


Beautiful work. I have a Tascam Model 414 Mk II that I use occasionally use for loops. I've mostly used it for hand percussion and vocal drones.

I think I'll try some bass feedback stacked next and then through my OBNE Darkstar Pad Reverb. Inspired by the drone tones you and your partner there created.
mhtones
I finally found a great condition 414mkii and will be picking it up on Friday. Looking forward to creating my own cassette tape loops and experimenting with the medium. I grew up when the only home recording option was cassette so I'm excited to play with this again.
controlFreak
Hainbach,

I just noticed the Mbira in your video... do you know who made it?

I have a friend who imports those from Zimbabwe.
MindMachine
mhtones wrote:
I finally found a great condition 414mkii and will be picking it up on Friday. Looking forward to creating my own cassette tape loops and experimenting with the medium. I grew up when the only home recording option was cassette so I'm excited to play with this again.


Be sure to at least demagnetize the heads and clean the rollers. Seems obvious but best to start clean. They are pretty well built for the money.

Guinness ftw!
Hainbach
controlFreak wrote:
Hainbach,

I just noticed the Mbira in your video... do you know who made it?

I have a friend who imports those from Zimbabwe.


Its from Juma Drums in Johannisburg. I have two now and love them a lot.


Here is the final version of the four track collaboration with Jogging House:
junglll
I got a tascam 414 at a garage sale a few years ago, and now it seems to find a way into everything I record! One of my fav things to do is record a (software) drum part from logic to tape then back into logic. I generally make lo-fi stuff so it helps me make 'computer drums' sound like drums
arnoux
I bought a Tascam 246 3 years ago, to put in heavy rotation we came up with the idea of releasing an album each month for one year, this is the result:

https://topbanana.bandcamp.com/music

bougie
i use a 4 track regularly, love the workflow, straightforwardness.
overdriving a cassette always sounds good imo.

got a beautiful Marantz PMD720 (used to have a pmd740 very frustrating)

theres plenty of clips on my instagram. heres one slowing the tape manually for warble effect

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQrirVLgw7Z/?taken-by=fflalande
strat_barrett
I really miss my old Tascam Porta, I got an old car with a cassette player in in and it's made me realise how amazing tapes sound, why did we all hate them so much?!
Hainbach
Because there was no choice! Peter Kirn wrote this, which resonates with me:

"And that says something about what tape is – it’s not just a physical delivery mechanism, but a statement of aesthetics. The truth is, when tapes were new we had the opposite, glass-is-half-full approach. We were constantly worrying about degradation of sound and stressing over dirt and wear. It’s not just nostalgia that motivates the lo-fi approach; it’s hindsight. Now we can hear those sounds as independent from the medium, because we’ve heard the content (in digital) independently, too. And we also have easy access to techniques via the Internet that used to be the domain of a few specialists."

http://cdm.link/2017/05/listen-gorgeous-ambient-music-coming-tapes/
controlFreak
Would anyone here happen to have Tascam Service manuals?

Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana
tesserack
controlFreak wrote:
Would anyone here happen to have Tascam Service manuals?

Dead Banana Dead Banana Dead Banana


You could try this site.

https://elektrotanya.com/?q=keres

For example for the Tascam syncaset 238
https://elektrotanya.com/tascam_238.pdf/download.html
DanPacific
Hainbach wrote:
Because there was no choice! Peter Kirn wrote this, which resonates with me:

"And that says something about what tape is – it’s not just a physical delivery mechanism, but a statement of aesthetics. The truth is, when tapes were new we had the opposite, glass-is-half-full approach. We were constantly worrying about degradation of sound and stressing over dirt and wear. It’s not just nostalgia that motivates the lo-fi approach; it’s hindsight. Now we can hear those sounds as independent from the medium, because we’ve heard the content (in digital) independently, too. And we also have easy access to techniques via the Internet that used to be the domain of a few specialists."

http://cdm.link/2017/05/listen-gorgeous-ambient-music-coming-tapes/


Well put! thumbs up
mmwmwmw
...
xenosapien
I too have a 424 mk2 at home.

Sadly, one of the channels seems to have a damaged (?) preamp... it is MUCH quieter than the other 3 channels, and has less headroom to be driven, it actually clips in a much nastier way than the other 3 when driven too much.

... I have since decided that this will always be my "kick" channel, since that has the least dynamics and can be set+forget...
Michael O.
I love the sound of the Tascam 244, and have been using one lately as a sort of escape from the sometimes monotonous job of running a multitrack studio. Using the 244 is a joy, and feels immediate, fun, and creative from tracking to mix down.

Here's an excerpt from a soundtrack piece that's intended to accompany a little abstract short film:


And here's a glimpse at the making of a backing track with the 244. This recording makes up the bulk of a backing arrangement for a song on a sort of dream pop solo EP I'm working on (going to mastering this weekend!). The whole album features a lot of material tracked on a 244:
gentle_attack
Michael O. wrote:
I love the sound of the Tascam 244, and have been using one lately as a sort of escape from the sometimes monotonous job of running a multitrack studio. Using the 244 is a joy, and feels immediate, fun, and creative from tracking to mix down.

Here's an excerpt from a soundtrack piece that's intended to accompany a little abstract short film:


And here's a glimpse at the making of a backing track with the 244. This recording makes up the bulk of a backing arrangement for a song on a sort of dream pop solo EP I'm working on (going to mastering this weekend!). The whole album features a lot of material tracked on a 244:


This are both very charming little tunes. Second one reminds me of early Flying Lotus without the over the top Lo-Fi and mid compression. Thanks for sharing!
HOTFACE
I record direct to two tracks of my MT100ii off a mixer.

Even if I've done a multitrack track on a DAW I mix down to cassette.

Here's a live jam recorded to cassette.

https://youtu.be/HwjdQsihizA

I love the sound (the compression/saturation) but also part of it is back in the 90s I was rarely able to get a good cassette recording because I was obsessed with getting a DAT.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group