A Portable Moogerfooger Modular!

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

A Portable Moogerfooger Modular!

Post by Henfield » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:42 pm

I have always liked the Moogerfooger range of pedals. Like some others here, they were my gateway "drug" into modular synthesizers, with their ability to be patched together and also patch externally to other CV gear.

Once I started to build my modular, I ditched my MF pedals, as they didn't exactly work with my modular because of audio and CV voltage differences. I now find myself back into MF pedals ( I now have Five of them!), and I wanted something that was easy to lug around and easy to patch. I have a pair of matching plastic cases, and this is what I put together: ( don't ask me why the pic is upside down, this sometimes happens to me on Muff's)

I plan on attaching the MF pedals with industrial Velcro, so that I can interchange pedals as needed. I had hoped to mount the patchbay in the bottom of the case with the MF pedals, as I want to mount a panel with an amp circuit and speaker in the lid of the case (portable sound system!). Unfortunately, the depth of the patchbay will not allow me to put it in the bottom of the case. I need to learn how to solder so that I can make a flat panel, and then have 1/4" cables from the back of the MF pedals that terminate into 1/4" jacks. I can then mount the 1/4" jacks in the flat panel.

I also need to get a Moog CP-251 Control processor, so that I can turn another case that I have into this:

For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 am

Nice. I ended up just putting my MFers on a pedalboard--not ideal but I don't play them live so they just sit under my rack gear.

To learn to solder you can start by just soldering 2 wires together--cheap, easy, and no harm done if you screw up. Well, maybe to yourself.

Or...is there space to patch the MFers to a flat panel with cables that have right angles on both ends?

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:39 am

That's very nice indeed! Only thing I don't like is the those foot switches. I mean when those switches are stiff ones I hate to push them with my thumb.

StringEmil
Common Wiggler

Post by StringEmil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:20 am

jimmie wrote:That's very nice indeed! Only thing I don't like is the those foot switches. I mean when those switches are stiff ones I hate to push them with my thumb.
The Moogerfoogers all have soft-switches and are very comfortable :hihi:

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Okay, update time, no pictures today, but I will take and post some tomorrow.

I put the pedals in the shallower side, and I use Velcro to attach them to the case (they hold in there very well!). I put the patchbay in the deeper side, so it sits horizontal rather than vertical. Yes, right angle cables would work better, but I couldn't find the short plastic ones locally and the all metal end ones won't fit.

For the future? I will put in an aluminum panel at the end of the case, with 1/4" cables that terminate in 1/4" jacks, and the jacks will be mounted in the aluminum panel. I will than put a wooden panel on the deeper side with an amplifier and 6 1/2" speaker mounted to it. At least that is the plan for now.

If you come out to AHMW tomorrow, you can see it in person!
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Moogerfooger pedals, Minifooger pedals, and other interesting effects boxes that work well with modular, try me!

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Action shot with my Moogerfooger setup at AHMW on Saturday:

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:54 am

Great job! I am in the process of converting them all over to euro. Now that Moog has picked a euro aesthetic. Here's a taste.

Heaven Metals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Heaven Metals » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 am

want! :goo:
HOT ACTION //
https://soundcloud.com/hotactionxx
-------------------------------------------------
A Brief History of Pets With Pets //
http://petswithpets.bandcamp.com

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:55 pm

DSC wrote:Great job! I am in the process of converting them all over to euro. Now that Moog has picked a euro aesthetic. Here's a taste.

I love what you have done, but wish that you had kept the rocker switches.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:58 pm

I originally did a version with the rocker switches.
Original thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=128277&sid=a63cf41b7f27 ... 4fda3a97f9

But now since Moog has picked a euro aesthetic, I think it makes more sense to match it. (ie mother 32) Honestly I think it is more ergonomic too for the space.

aokjoey0
Common Wiggler

Post by aokjoey0 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Wow! That looks beautiful! I like the Mother-32 but the patch panel is too dense for me, even for Eur-fingers-r-2-big-rack!
Joe Nastasi aka Apogee Kick!
Musician
Ultralight and Light Sport Aviator
My YouTube Channel
http://soundcloud.com/apogee-kick/unrea ... s-con-brio

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:40 pm

aokjoey0 wrote:Wow! That looks beautiful! I like the Mother-32 but the patch panel is too dense for me, even for Eur-fingers-r-2-big-rack!
I agree, I am not a fan of the mother 32. In fact I liked the Werkstatt better and that is why I converted it over to euro too. Link here:
viewtopic.php?p=1620911

It too will get a makeover as far as graphics go.

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:01 am

aokjoey0 wrote:Wow! That looks beautiful! I like the Mother-32 but the patch panel is too dense for me, even for Eur-fingers-r-2-big-rack!
Well, there are 32 patchpoints on the patchbay, just like the Mom 32! However, with only 3 foogers (and the number of cables that I currently have) there are only 18 to 20 of those jacks actually connected to the foogers. I am using the rest of them to store cables close at hand! Each pedal is using 6 jacks, then there are four jacks in between each pedal for cable storage.

dlk1100
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dlk1100 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:11 am

This is awesome, well done. :hyper:

JehuJava
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JehuJava » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:10 am

DSC wrote:Great job! I am in the process of converting them all over to euro. Now that Moog has picked a euro aesthetic. Here's a taste.

That is amazing. Was that difficult to do?

JehuJava
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JehuJava » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 am

Henfield wrote:Action shot with my Moogerfooger setup at AHMW on Saturday:

Do you have the Moogerfooger CV jacks connected to a patch bay? How do they behave if there is nothing connected to the otherside of the patch bay? I've always wanted a set of Moogers connected to a patch bay waiting to be connected...just like a modular.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:20 pm

JehuJava wrote:
That is amazing. Was that difficult to do?
Not hard, just a lot of steps! Moog has designed these well, so dismantling them is a finesse game. Not hard, just takes lots of time to do right.
Here's a few more in the series, so far.

Henfield

Post by Henfield » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:26 pm

JehuJava wrote:
Do you have the Moogerfooger CV jacks connected to a patch bay? How do they behave if there is nothing connected to the otherside of the patch bay? I've always wanted a set of Moogers connected to a patch bay waiting to be connected...just like a modular.
They are completely unaffected (except for the carrier osc out and in on the ring mod, but I keep a short cable plugged in between the two of them when I use that pedal as a Ring Mod) when you have a cable connected from the Fooger into the patchbay. The one case with the MF-102, MF-104Z and MF-103 has a patchbay sitting in the lid. You also have to invest in a lot of cables! I don't have enough to put a second patchbay in the other case.

Yes, it does make it fun to play the fooger modular when hooked up to the patchbay!

JehuJava
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JehuJava » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:53 am

Awesome guys!!

Metatarsals
Common Wiggler

Post by Metatarsals » Fri May 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I have the same 3 Moogerfoogers in the MF rack, considering selling them but I would absolutely keep them in euro format... They'd fit into my all-black setup nicely, and complement the Mother 32s. That's some aesthetically simple but pleasing work!
To be completed upon consideration of something witty.

dlabtot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dlabtot » Thu May 11, 2017 3:04 pm

It didn't take me long to realize I wouldn't be able to perform with all three expression pedals unless they were neatly set up in advance.Image

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:02 pm

Oh, SNAP, I must be out MY MIND!!!!
MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-105, MF-107, MF-108, Minataur and Werkstatt!

joeman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by joeman » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:14 pm

@DSC I'm really quite interested in the conversion you've achieved with your foogers. I have 21 foogers and getting them into eurorack format would be ideal for me...

Is there anything you are able to manufacture and post to me such as the faceplates and any other requirements?

Cheers,

Joe
Attachments
IMG_5378.JPG
IMG_5378.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 114 times

kinkujin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kinkujin » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:55 am

All of this is way over my head but is just fascinating guys!

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”