MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing Cocteau, mod PCB for your YOCTO 808 clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Introducing Cocteau, mod PCB for your YOCTO 808 clone
JanneI
Just got an email from Kacper, re-paint done and enclosure shipped with tracking. I have no idea why this took so long but seems like Kacper still delivers. I'll report the results with pics when I get the enclosure back, in 1-2 weeks.
rainydaysynthesis
JanneI wrote:
Just got an email from Kacper, re-paint done and enclosure shipped with tracking. I have no idea why this took so long but seems like Kacper still delivers. I'll report the results with pics when I get the enclosure back, in 1-2 weeks.

Sweet! Can't wait to here back
supervalued
JanneI wrote:

Is the size of slide switches cut-offs fixed as well?
supervalued
Also, any news on Remora & Vactrol-8 mods? Or it's just not happening anymore?
JanneI
I got the enclosure back from Kacper and it's much, much better quality. I'll try to fit it to the pcb next week and report back then. Pics:[/img]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4kdozfjy4pnhm6s/Cocteau-repaint1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/58ffc1sozryf5du/Cocteau-repaint2.jpg?dl=0
automatique
Looks nice! It would be interesting if Kacper is still providing those or just finishing the overhauling of the faulty ones. I tried to order one over a year ago and never get an answer. Ericasynths answered to a request dating january '18 for a similar case that they will offer something similar "soon". Ten weeks later it's not so soon anymore, but I hope there is something coming because I just want to finish this project.
JanneI
So, I tried to fit the cocteau pcb with the switches to the repainted enclosure, no luck. Holes are still too tight in horizontal way. They need to be 4mm, but they are more like 3,5mm. So, if someone hasn't soldered those switches yet, maybe try to find a different model?

I think I'll have to try to carefully file the holes bigger..and worry about the paint later.
rampy
I still haven't heard back from Kacper. Has anybody had successful results spraying the case with a clear coat?
JanneI
I just noticed that all the backpanel jacks are too tight also, so I'll need to drill those bigger. Not that big of a deal compared to the rectangular hole filing, but seems like this cocteau case is really badly designed. very frustrating

EDIT: the main pcb led's don't fit, so these need to be drilled bigger too.
Rxke
Dang!

That's rather unexpected... confused
goldplate
You have to enlarge in "vertical" way too or the switch will remain in its shorting position and the mod won't work.
GryphonP3
Man, I have just finished doing all the parts on my Yocto V1 + Cocteau boards, and only just now got to putting it in the enclosure to line up the switches.. These things absolutely wont fit through the hole cut outs!! What a joke!! I see others have had the same problem... I have never had to do treatment to an enclosure like this before - Could someone recommend me a good tool and technique for the job? What a pain in the ass.. Thought I could finish this entire thing up tonight..

Can anyone recommend smaller switches that will fit? I will do some mouser digging in the meantime.. That would be much easier than trying to make do with these ones. I have already applied 3 layers of clear coat which helped the flakey paint, but makes it so that trying to drill or squeeze things through holes that are too small globs the clearcoat up around the edges and smudges it across nearby areas.
GryphonP3
GryphonP3 wrote:

Can anyone recommend smaller switches that will fit? I will do some mouser digging in the meantime...

Dug through my stock of switches and Mouser Part # CS12ANW03 that I had left over from another project seem to fit perfectly through Kacper's narrow holes (ewwwwwwww!!)

The shaft is a few MM shorter than the ones provided, but it is still easily switchable. Will follow up with a picture from my phone.
GryphonP3
Here, they have good clearance for easy switching through the panel, and enough vertical clearance to be switched as well (damn look at the nasty clearcoat gunk pushing the provided switches through the hole left scarred on my panel!!)

GryphonP3
JanneI wrote:
I just noticed that all the backpanel jacks are too tight also, so I'll need to drill those bigger. Not that big of a deal compared to the rectangular hole filing, but seems like this cocteau case is really badly designed. very frustrating

EDIT: the main pcb led's don't fit, so these need to be drilled bigger too.

Did you drill all the erroneous holes? If you could recommend a good bit size that worked for you, I would appreciate it! Hardware and tiny measuring is not my forte.. So at this point, the TRS and the LED holes are too small? Or the MIDI and power holes as well?
JanneI
GryphonP3 wrote:
Did you drill all the erroneous holes? If you could recommend a good bit size that worked for you, I would appreciate it! Hardware and tiny measuring is not my forte.. So at this point, the TRS and the LED holes are too small? Or the MIDI and power holes as well?

Only the LED holes so far, I think I used 3.2MM drill. Those TRS jacks are bigger than 10MM (around 11-12MM) which is usually the max of many hand drills, so I'll do that when I have proper tools available.
goldplate
Just drill with the size above the diameter of the hole, like 0.5 more. For the LED, I don't remember but 3mm could maybe just work.
GryphonP3
Alright got mine all sorted and fit smile just waiting on mouser now for a few more of these smaller switches and some 2200uF caps and hopefully she'll be kicking pretty.
goldplate
Are the additionnal expansions still planned to come ?
the bad producer
Does anyone know where I can find a panel cutout file to get my own done - was there ever one available?!

help
Macgyverradio
looking for a cocteau PCB and enclosure or a completed one... let me know if anyone has one to sell! email me at gianlucasaggese@gmail.com
Bastoon01
the bad producer wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find a panel cutout file to get my own done - was there ever one available?!

help

I was thinking of doing a Lexan overlay so I can use the enclosure with the bad paint, so I asked effegee and he kindly sent me a good quality jpg which seems to be at the right scale when opening it in Illustrator.

http://u.cubeupload.com/Bastoon01/image11.jpeg

However i asked a few companies around and they told that they need a vector file to have it done, so I'm asking around people I know if someone would be able to help me getting it vectorized. I tried a few software that does automated vectorizing from an image but as I expected, the result isn't usable at all.

Another way would be to ask Kacper as he is the one who did the frontpanel design I believe, but he has'nt answered any of my email for a few months so....
yan6
I had a bad paint enclosure too. I used duplicolor high temp engine clear and baked it with my oven. It turned out pretty good and is now durable. It did yellow the colors slightly, but kind of added a vintage feel to it.

I tried this once before with an arp panel and had terrible results, but it was with krylon paint seriously, i just don't get it
goldplate
Damn what a shame, he didn't repainted your cases as he did mine ?

Even if the first paint held I wouldn't have been satisfied as it was of very low shitty resolution.
maltemark
goldplate wrote:
Damn what a shame, he didn't repainted your cases as he did mine ?

Even if the first paint held I wouldn't have been satisfied as it was of very low shitty resolution.

Nope, no response on mail despite mailing every 6 week or so from the paint starting to flake off after the postman delivered it at my place.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 7 of 8