MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing the SDS Digital RIT_M RhythmSequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Author Introducing the SDS Digital RIT_M RhythmSequencer
Sandrine
Multi Grooves wrote:

Helps me...

Ha! I never thought of putting the panel next to the diagram, way to go!
That pretty much covers it aside from the nuances of Loop quantizing, which uses the PPQN setting as a clock input divider during initial rhythm loop creation that snaps the loop point. i.e. PPQN=4 will window a loop possibility on every 4 clocks from the start.(useful!)

timoka wrote:
Sandrine wrote:
Ah, OK
The only way to get triggers in that short would be through the Reset jack, basically recording them...
if gates were played back (with a clock in) at a faster rate then they would be shortened down to <2mS i.e.
a variety of taps are 30mS to 100mS with PPQN set at 1. Then during playing the loop the PPQN is adjusted to 64. Now the taps would be .468mS to 1.5625mS. Problem is the speed would be 64x faster hehe
albeit still in sync

ok i have a follow up question to the trigger length thing...
would it be possible to assign a fixed length for the trigger, eg 5ms and still tap in the rhythm by hand, but the recorder wouldn't follow the tapped in trigger lengths? this way it would be possible to use your module as a trigger sequencer where the possibility of double triggering due to longer gates would not occur?

i'm sorry that i keep asking these trigger questions but it seems that your module is the only rhythm recorder with the possibility of an unquantized human feeling and that makes it extremely interesting for me but in my case i need short triggers....anyway, i can't wait to try this little machine!!

Gate/Trigger could be an option, but variable trigger length? How would that be controlled? The only way I can think of is velocity...
timoka
Sandrine wrote:

Gate/Trigger could be an option, but variable trigger length? How would that be controlled? The only way I can think of is velocity...

hm ok maybe there's a misunderstanding, i'm sorry for my english, i'm not a native speaker. i thought you mentioned that tapping in triggers this short is not possible, it would lead to gates and therefore doubletriggering modules which demand a short trigger (pinging filters). that's why i asked if it would be possible to set (and forget) a fixed trigger length for the module, no variation of the length?
this way i could use the velocity output as strength control with a vca and i would get dynamic triggers. i hope i explained it better this time.
thanks sandrine!
Sandrine
Yes, I understood. I will see about making it (triggers) an option. There are 2 options that are likely no longer needed so this could replace one of them wink
SB-SIX
Very cool, where can I sign up for the waiting list?
Sandrine
SB-SIX wrote:
Very cool, where can I sign up for the waiting list?

Hi SB_SIX,
Just click the email button here or PM me and I'll put you on it
cheers!
Sandrine
@SB-SIX
OK, thanks, got it!
SB-SIX
Is it late october yet? :p no stress, just curious about the ryt_m progress. How is it getting along?
Sandrine
SB-SIX wrote:
Is it late october yet? :p no stress, just curious about the rit_m progress. How is it getting along?

Yes we've had a slight setback with software and a part that didn't show up.
Apologies for the delay, should be soon
SB-SIX
No apologies needed, just exited for this smile thanks for the update!
slidearind
Keep us posted!
Sandrine
Will do!

Update:

I've taken out the CVin+Knob+Playing Sequence CV offset editing function and replaced it with just CVin+knob offset. It was somewhat confusing to use (re: unplugging & re-plugging CV input to activate) and turned out to be fairly useless as when on wants to edit a beat, it's always with a new Knob position (+CVin) to replace the existing CV output for that beat.

Also there was the issue of inserting a beat; should it be added to the last CV or overwrite completely?

I think this method is way better and less concentration is required ( thumbs up )

As per a conversation on MG forums the CV Input will be quantized (if CV Quantizing option is enabled) @1V/Oct while the knob will act as a smooth offset.
If there is no CV input, then the knob will become quantized (again if CV quantizing option is on) so it can be defeated by plugging in a dummy patch to nothing or 0V, at which point it will become a non-quantized knob. The best of both worlds!

On that note, I had a short dummy plugged in while recording a sequence and accidentally touched the tip of the short patch. It of course introduced a CV "hum" into the recording. Now I modulate recordings by squeezing on the patch cord's tip as a cheap variable levelled 60Hz LFO hehe. Slowing the PPQN down demonstrates the nice sine wave that was shooting through my body. Interesting when editing beats!

One more note, a short knob CV variation recorded at, say, 1 PPQN can be set higher to say 64 PPQN and act as an audible LFO. So basically it's like drawing an LFO waveform smile
Varying the Clock input gives control over the frequency of that waveform. There's a limit of 120Hz (if was recorded at 1Hz) but clock during recording has been tested at 1000Hz, whatever use that might be...
Sandrine
Update:

I've decided to implement a 1-Shot Play on the Reset Input if the Sequence is paused to begin with.
This way a recorded CV/sequence can be started/restarted on each Reset input pulse making it a great complex envelope generator!

If the sequence is already playing, then a pulse on the Reset will simply re-start the sequence.

Gate Input:
Converting the Reset input to a Gate input for recording hasn't changed.
While stopped, a tap on the Loop pad will arm for record on the first (gate) input on the Reset jack.
New: a double tap on the Loop pad will arm for recording on next Gate input, but will end record & Loop at the PPQN setting, i.e.:
The PPQN is set to 32.
Double tap the Loop pad to arm.
Start playing attached keyboard or sequencer according to your clock input.
After 32 Clocks recording will end and the sequence you played will Loop and play.

Note that this only works with a Clock Input present right? Without a Clock input the Loop point must be manually invoked by tapping the Loop pad.

RIT_M used as...
Velocity controlled Delay Rate in Reflex Liveloop + VCO:
Yesterday I had a VCO's CV patched to the RIT_M's CV out and the Velocity out to the VCO's modulation + the RLL's rate CV input (so the rate slows with voltage) and made some amazing rhythms and delay shift by changing hardness of taps & holding the rhythm pad and varying pressure on it. Long drones with "pips" of high tones that would fall into the delay created by the original drones. It was quite absorbing!

Sorry about the huge delay for the release of the RIT_M, first it was parts not showing up, then a stubborn SW bug, and recently I've been fighting a nasty flu bug which has slowed things down terribly.
On the bright side, this delay in release has given the opportunity to sit back and think and further enhance the firmware and features!
S*
Matos
Woah. Totally slept on this as I haven’t been here in awhile. Great module that should pair well with so many things. Get better and rest.
Sandrine
Matos wrote:
Woah. Totally slept on this as I haven’t been here in awhile. Great module that should pair well with so many things. Get better and rest.

Thanks Matos!

On the double-tap Loop pad mention above I've decided to use the same "command" to PPQN knob set the # of clocks in a sequence for a manual entry on the Rhythm pad as well (why not!)
I've noticed a lot of recording sequencers do this although I personally prefer to choose the length of a sequence on-the-fly. (I'm a beat counter ar ar!) This would be useful though for recording a CV at a certain point in a clocked sequence with another sequence in the rack... like a filter build every 64 clocks say..
A double tap without a clock input will make no difference as there's no clocks to count & set the sequence length..

I've noticed an interesting thing while testing the Reset input along with a clock..
The clock frequency versus the Reset pulse frequency overlaps producing a nice little shift in beats, i.e.
A clock of 120BPM (every .5s) with a beat on every 1/4 note and a synced reset of 2 seconds will play 4 beats before resetting to the start of sequence.
But if the Reset was 1.75 seconds, slightly faster, you'll hear 3 beats and 4 beats alternating-
0 seconds: Reset sequence,4 beats played
1.75 seconds: 3 beats played
3.5 seconds: 4 beats played

Because the Reset aligns to the nearest clock (arming if before it or aligning if after), the length of the sequence will vary even though it stays in sync!
The beats must have different CV's though or it would all sound the same razz

With a straight CV it works like a humanizing effect if the Reset is synced but a faster clock is varied & not synced with reset in any way
Sandrine
Update:

Tested the new double tap on the Loop Pad to Arm+Define Sequence length according to PPQN knob setting. Works wonderfully!
I find that I use 16 to 64 almost exclusively.

I've also implemented free editing from the Gate input to make it totally hands-free. Beats/Notes can be changed or inserted remotely. This greatly simplifies recording from a sequencer as well as a keyboard.
Deleting beats must still be done with the Rhythm pad though.
I've found that delete isn't nearly as useful as overwriting beats with a long beat/note and then inserting little beats into it on the next roll.

Once there's a sequence going I can't help but tweak it with spurts of LFO or noise. It's so interesting to use I can't get work done jeez

It's getting close people! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!
vingtdieux
thumbs up
SB-SIX
Good to hear, still looking forward to this!
Sandrine
So now going away for the holidays, almost on the eve of completion!
Oh well, everyone's busy, mail is backed up, nothing's open..

So here's a video of me goofing around (mostly) with a pair of RIT_M's to make amends wink

It sounds silly, but I've discovered that a sequencer (scaled, shown in video) can be recorded with various offsets by holding a pad, or just pecking out certain gates by hand, and it all comes together well because the RIT_M is using the same clock confused can't see the forest for all the trees!
Sandrine
Back from holidays! Happy 2018 everyone

This video shows two RIT_M's with their CV's patched to 2 channels of a sequencer (MODEM-1) and their clocks from the sequencer.
Using this patch, a beat with selected CV's can be created from a running sequencer, and offset by the RIT_M's CV knob.
The RIT_M's Rhythm pads aren't quantized to the clock so little CV changes can be heard on some "notes" making it all that much more interesting!

You may have noticed the Rhythm pad is changing colors. I've been trying to make an idea I thought up over the holidays become reality:
When new beats/notes are added into the sequence, the pad will indicate this in red on the next loop, then the next in pink etc. slowly fading into the cyan of the other beats. I have found this is a good visual aid, but it's been tricky to implement. Only the RIT_M to the right has this buggy feature thus far.
mckenic
eek!
Sandrine
Hi all, yep still alive & kickin'

This short video is of CVsnapShot play mode and how it acts with an LFO

This is RIT_M Tutorial video II (T.I wasn't OK so will re-do it)
It's all about CV recording with external gate inputs. I think everyone will like this one as it'll turn your sequencer into a mega sequencer.
*All of these examples were CV scaled at the VCO so they sound nice

The examples are pretty basic for simplicity covering
1-How to 1-Shot a sequence or CV recording
2-Arming to start recording on a gate pulse
3-Arming to record with a pre-defined loop size.
4-Tip on layering sequencer gates by offsetting shorter gates to "mini-arp"
5-Partially editing a running sequence
6-Returning the reset jack to be a reset input
7-Editing a hand-made sequence with gates and varied speeds
8-Snapshot play mode

Availability update:
Still waiting for our better coating system, the other stuff wasn't panning out at all on the test models. Once we have that and it's been tested we can start rolling out the RIT_M.
Thanks for your patience everyone we're not worthy
@realwiggler
Just caught wind of this module. It looks like it can fill s very specific hole in my setup. I’d love to get on the waitlist for one of these.

Also...love the RLL

Thanks for all the Amazing work

Cheers!!
Sandrine
@realwiggler wrote:
Just caught wind of this module. It looks like it can fill s very specific hole in my setup. I’d love to get on the waitlist for one of these.

Also...love the RLL

Thanks for all the Amazing work

Cheers!!

And thankyou for the kudos! Works nicely with the Reflex Slices and acts like an automation CV for PlayFX, total mayhem
Just tap the email button to reserve one
Sandrine
I've decided to do a CV Recording video with no gates and how it can be used with just the knob. There is of course 1 gate at the start, but doesn't need to be used.
I set the PPQN to 4 as the module is being clocked. There's ample room to speed up the recording without changing the clock input.

Like any recording, this can be set as a 1-shot on the Reset input by pausing first.

This CV is better used with a filter, phase control, or perhaps PlayFX on the Reflex but the VCO is more obvious for demonstration purposes

Sandrine
Update:

-Finalized .mp3 audio firmware update engine. Working 100%!
-I always feel more at ease knowing this procedure is flawless wink
-Planning video on Slaving 2 or more RIT_M modules
-May make Delete mode option factory default to "off".
I have found it great to just tap the Rhythm pad at any time to poke a Gate+CV into a sequence without having to move the CV knob first.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next [all]
Page 4 of 9