MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Preventing boredom when doing edits/time consuming stuff
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Preventing boredom when doing edits/time consuming stuff
kirkwoodwest
what are your techniques for preventing boredom when making edits, saving patches, organizing folders, etc... this is one of those cases where listening is only like 5% of the work. the rest is all mouse/keyboard file name stuff.

Do you put on a movie in the background? play music?

I'm considering getting a junk playback device... Pretty sure my brain is fucked because of all the social media/constant stimuli that it now needs. This wasn't an issue 10 years ago for me.
facklr
I just use undiagnosed OCD most of the time. Sometimes I play a record. But usually the process in itself of anything is enough for me.

Just concentrate a little and always be planning the next step, and before you know it it has been 2 hours and you're done. Also, a little list of tasks next to you (notebook, paper, text edit on screen, whiteboard) and then cross off each as it gets done helps with momentum.

EDIT: Don't make the list "the thing" though.

Lists can actually waste time if you aren't careful. Constructing the perfect list is the best way not to get anything done. That's why I use a whiteboard.
Yeggman
facklr wrote:
I just use undiagnosed OCD most of the time. Sometimes I play a record. But usually the process in itself of anything is enough for me.

Just concentrate a little and always be planning the next step, and before you know it it has been 2 hours and you're done. Also, a little list of tasks next to you (notebook, paper, text edit on screen, whiteboard) and then cross off each as it gets done helps with momentum.

EDIT: Don't make the list "the thing" though.

Lists can actually waste time if you aren't careful. Constructing the perfect list is the best way not to get anything done. That's why I use a whiteboard.

All of these things.

And this probably doesn't help much, but I just really like organizing data. seriously, i just don't get it Try and find a way to make it fun? It's not necessarily inherently boring (nothing really is). As John Cage said: “If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all.”

Also I work in a library. Coincidence?

One other thing is to do this stuff when you want to be doing creative work but aren't feeling the right vibes or can't seem to get anything going. That way you save yourself the frustration of trying to force your way through a creative block, but you're still able to be productive. (Of course, one also has to be aware to not let organizing the data be a way to procrastinate from doing actual creative work)
Bojmir Raj Raj
My studio is the big empty multimedia arts institution I work in- when it's closed to the public, I have the bar with functionally "free beer" (at cost and on my tab) and can smoke as well, so I'm perfectly fine with the tedious donkey work like converting and renaming a bunch of files etc. that goes along with modern music production.
depth20
Weed and/or speed?
felixer
i always think of the endresult: some things just must be done to get there. and i'm perfectly willing to do 'm if that's what has to be done.
that said, there is a lot that is 'optional': renaming folders? not for me ...
crossing thing off on a list is a good one: always works for me.
using dope prob will not work, as a lot of these actions are not routine, so you must be able to think clearly. but when you're done methinks you are entitled to a little 'bonus' ...
D_Bowman
kirkwoodwest wrote:
what are your techniques for preventing boredom when making edits, saving patches, organizing folders, etc... this is one of those cases where listening is only like 5% of the work. the rest is all mouse/keyboard file name stuff.

Do you put on a movie in the background? play music?

I'm considering getting a junk playback device... Pretty sure my brain is fucked because of all the social media/constant stimuli that it now needs. This wasn't an issue 10 years ago for me.

I've found meditation is effective for resetting the brain from being fucked by social media/constant stimuli craving. It also helps with mundane tasks as you can meditate on the task, or at least manage the aversion to it.
DubRules
depth20 wrote:
Weed and/or speed?

Exactly.
Snacks help too.
Unless you go the speed route..

A timer is important to remind you to take a break.
stk
Just think about what you are doing. Focus, be mindful.
Do it like you mean it or don't bother.

Train yourself away from needing a constant barrage of clickbait and noise to feel alive.

You're welcome thumbs up
Muzone
stk wrote:

That's about it really thumbs up
Noha
Muzone wrote:
stk wrote:

That's about it really thumbs up

this. and/or amphetamines.
PhineasFreak
skype/google hangouts/tinychat etc.

chat to human beings in a slightly healthier way than words on a screen...
ignatius
headphones for the edits and something on in the background... anime, sports, something i've seen a few times already so i know what's going on w/o having to watch but i like the idea of watching it again.

i do long editing sessions and try to batch process as much as possible but it's not always possible. proper hydration, caffeination, etc..

take breaks.
CopperHydra
DubRules wrote:
depth20 wrote:
Weed and/or speed?

Exactly.
Snacks help too.
Unless you go the speed route..

A timer is important to remind you to take a break.

A timer is also important for making sure you didn't do that last edit 17minutes too slow. What I mean is: the best activity for getting through editing is racing yourself to do your edits faster and timing yourself will make sure you keep improving. It will also keep you from getting distracted so you can put on something in the background but not get sucked into it. You want to get to the point where you can save enough time to double check your work too.
dudeman
+1 weed. i don't smoke that much any more but it really used to come into its own when faced with menial tasks like this.

much more productive (for me!) than getting high and trying to make music where i'd often find myself getting bogged down in the minutiae of something.

oh and remember to give your eyes a break!
felixer
dudeman wrote:
oh and remember to give your eyes a break!

yep. but that goes for all 'close-up' activities. i need it from soldering, lately ....
mrflannery
Excercise makes all the difference for focus. When I don't excercise I waste so much time at the computer.
Bojmir Raj Raj
Beer and cigarettes works for me!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1