MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Synth-Werk 914 and 6401M arrived today (Pics. video soon)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Synth-Werk 914 and 6401M arrived today (Pics. video soon)
Synthoholic
These photos were taken rather hastily during the unboxing process. Better and more detailed pictures to come. Videos also forthcoming.

For those of you who haven't ordered from Synth-Werk (Gerhard) yet, this came excellently packed and the build quality is some of the finest I have beheld.

JohnLRice
eek! Drunken Homer Simpson eek!
Awesome haul, congrats! thumbs up
Dr Gris
New to this forum but I've spent years on GroupDIY,
All those inductors... love we're not worthy

//M
EPTC
Indeed, very beautiful! A two channel (stereo) FFB w/ inductors is pretty gorgeous. Wonder how one channel of it compares timbrally to the COTK 970 inductor.

Naive question, but if you're interested in a single Synth-Werk module, how do you power it? I know COTK offers dotcom power connectors as an option, but if you have a case that's deep enough (like the dotcom Moog Cabinets) can it connect to dotcom power, or are the Synth-Werk headers proprietary?

Congrats on two very nice new pieces.
ualslosar
Synth-Werk uses dotcom connectors. So, no issues with compatibility.
And he always does a great job in shipping (never had any damaged modules from shipping from Synth-Werk).

Good quality modules, too!
Dave Peck
EPTC wrote:
Indeed, very beautiful! A two channel (stereo) FFB ...

There are two input jacks & two output jacks, but it's not stereo, it's mono.
Synthoholic
EPTC,
The 914 is mono. Right now it is resting inside the top row of the dotcom qcs44, and while it fits, it is too close to the power supply and those coils are picking up interference.

This track isn't meant to be serious, it is just a sketch. You all know how that is.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/rhythmicons/914-6401m-first-recordings[/s]
gregae
Synthoholic wrote:
These photos were taken rather hastily during the unboxing process. Better and more detailed pictures to come. Videos also forthcoming.

What's the purpose of that 'Squelch' switch? hmmm.....
Synthoholic
Greg,

I'm still trying to figure that out. On a CB radio, the incoming signal has to be strong enough to break the squelch, so that you aren't trying to communicate with people you can hear but can never reach.

Right now I'm running my CP mixer output to the ringmod and with the volumes high, the squelch is low--it breaks the squelch at about 1. Turn the volume down on the mixer and you have to turn it past 3 to break it.

Off, the threshold pot has no effect.

With the limited amount of time I have had to really analyze it it seems as if it's a wet/dry threshold. I'm trying not to say for certain at this point.
EPTC
Dave Peck wrote:

There are two input jacks & two output jacks, but it's not stereo, it's mono.

Synthoholic wrote:
EPTC,
The 914 is mono.

Ah, right - Okay, then a question: The two separate inputs relate individually to the two separate outputs, right? Whatever is filtered in input A comes out of output A, for example?

If you only put an input into the bottom jack B, does it output to both jacks A and B, or just the bottom jack output?

I didn't mean stereo filtering effects, so much as you could feed a stereo (left/right) signal into the two inputs, and the output (post-filter) would still be each channel separately, so you could keep the stereo signal. That would happen, right?

Or are you saying it sums the inputs into one common signal that is then output identically on the output jacks? - Pardon if I'm not seeing what you mean, I suppose. Still a lovely filter. And such nice construction, too.

Thanks for the clearance on dotcom connectors with this stuff! Makes it suddenly very tempting, yep!
EPTC
Synthoholic wrote:

This track isn't meant to be serious, it is just a sketch. You all know how that is.
[s]https://soundcloud.com/rhythmicons/914-6401m-first-recordings[/s]

Thanks! A comparison track of same material unfiltered would be useful (but who's complainin?) - I hear the inductor-esque hollow but warm feeling in the beginning there, the sort of wooden sound that I specifically love about those inductor FFBs. It's totally unique.

It sounds like you had the high-pass up during most of that. I love how expressive and tonal FFBs get when you remove the highpass dial all the way off the signal.

Sounds like you're having a great time with that thing. Thanks for sharing.
Dave Peck
EPTC wrote:

Or are you saying it sums the inputs into one common signal that is then output identically on the output jacks? !

Yes, this ^^ .
EPTC
Dave Peck wrote:

Yes, this

How weird? So two identical outputs?

Thanks for the clarification. How odd in a way.

So, anyone know what's the design idea there, just an option for two destinations while patching? Aesthetics?

I like the summing option of two inputs, but still find that peculiar.
3vcos
Two input and outputs jacks for 1 very specific reason. Feedback. Patch the out back to the input. The bands should oscillate. Also patching back through a VCA, or some distortion, etc for fun results.

EPTC wrote:
Dave Peck wrote:

Yes, this

How weird? So two identical outputs?

Thanks for the clarification. How odd in a way.

So, anyone know what's the design idea there, just an option for two destinations while patching? Aesthetics?

I like the summing option of two inputs, but still find that peculiar.
EPTC
3vcos wrote:

Two input and outputs jacks for 1 very specific reason.
Feedback.

Ahhhh! Wonderful. Thank you for explaining that! Now I'm pretty interested in the sound of that. Never ever would I ever think to try that, too.

Love this forum. Grazie, friend.
gregae
Synthoholic wrote:
Greg,

I'm still trying to figure that out. On a CB radio, the incoming signal has to be strong enough to break the squelch, so that you aren't trying to communicate with people you can hear but can never reach.

Right now I'm running my CP mixer output to the ringmod and with the volumes high, the squelch is low--it breaks the squelch at about 1. Turn the volume down on the mixer and you have to turn it past 3 to break it.

Off, the threshold pot has no effect.

With the limited amount of time I have had to really analyze it it seems as if it's a wet/dry threshold. I'm trying not to say for certain at this point.

Thanks for that, and congrats on those sweet modules! applause
3vcos
Synthoholic,
Would you please post some closeup pictures of the Ring Mod circuit board? Close enough to read the labels on the transistors, resistors, etc. I'm curious how close this is to the original.
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on one of these.

Thanks!
Synthoholic
3vcos,
Surely. I'm probably going to get the lights out today to take some shots of the modules and some other things so I definitely will put that on the list.

Some videos are going to be coming after the 5th of May also.

Thanks everyone else for the comments.
Voltage_Controller
those rocker switches and build quality The Chewbacca Defense Trampoline booty wiggler Lotsa Love Lotsa Love Dinner at the Y
Synthoholic

JohnLRice
Drunken Homer Simpson

Nice pictures!
3vcos
Thanks so much for posting those pics!
Wray
Synthoholic wrote:

Les famous Synthoholic modular white plush pics :-)

Miley Cyrus

& Great SW modules
Wray
What are those big UTC blocks?

Edit: never mind... I see they're transformers
ericD13
Synthoholic wrote:

The filter bank seems passive only.
Is there any need for the distribution connector ?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2