MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modules for Alessandro Cortini inspired music.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Modules for Alessandro Cortini inspired music.
rejstartel
Hi Guys,

I'm into the modular world for just a year now. Absolutely love my journey so far. Anyhow, I want to fill my 6U eurorack with some final modules as I got some space left. I builded my case for ambient (Alessandro Cortini inspired) purposes. I want to play live with this 6U modular in the future. I'm thinking of adding an Intelijell Quadra + Shapeshifter but I'm not quite sure. I like to know if there are modules out there I definitely need to check before making a decision. Hope you guys can give me some advise/options here.

My case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/355788

Cheers
FrogStar
Personally, I'd add some LPGs. There are many. Optomix. Thomas White dual or quad, many others. I'd also look for another sound source, Shapeshifter is great or an analogue OSC.
But, LPG for sure, AC is noted as saying he avoids VCAs in favor of slower LPGs.
ignatius
he uses a makenoise shared system live. might be a good place to start. seriously, i just don't get it

also uses some distortion/filter devices from RMLfx

http://www.rmlfx.com
skyshaver
You also need to invest in some very high-quality reverb and delay units or plug-ins. All of Alessandro Cortini's records are drenched in what sounds to me like Eventide reverb and delay. A lot of the sound of the Forse records is what's going on in the reverbs and delays and how they are mingling with each other to create secondary harmonies and rhythms.
ignatius
skyshaver wrote:
You also need to invest in some very high-quality reverb and delay units or plug-ins. All of Alessandro Cortini's records are drenched in what sounds to me like Eventide reverb and delay. A lot of the sound of the Forse records is what's going on in the reverbs and delays and how they are mingling with each other to create secondary harmonies and rhythms.


he's also done records in hotels where he recorded mc-202 sessions on a cassette recorder through the mic in the portable recorder. razz

there's this sonicstate interview before NAMM show a couple years ago... and a bunch of interviews about recent projects on line if you look around and a good thread here in the artist dicussion sub forum that has a lot of cortini talk.





http://hospitalproductions.net/2014/07/alessandro-cortini-sonno/

Quote:
ALESSANDRO CORTINI - sonno

Alessandro Cortini is best known as the lead electronics performer in Nine Inch Nails’ live unit. His recordings under his own name have gained prominence in recent years and he has become known as one of the pre-eminent Buchla masters in North America. Cortini makes a surprising departure into the 202 on his debut album for Hospital Productions - ‘Sonno’.

‘Sonno’ was recorded in hotel rooms, using a Roland MC 202 through a delay pedal, recorded direct, sometimes into a small portable speaker system.

“I liked to walk around the room with a handheld recorder to hear where the sequence would sound better, turn on faucets, open doors or windows to see how the ambient sounds would interact with the MC 202/delay/speaker sound. It was very relaxing and liberating to make music this way...”

The result is a beautifully restrained yet oddly emotive album that’s quite distinct from the overly academic approach so often undertaken by hardware driven devotees.
brandonlogic
I would recommend another sequencer, and a precision adder to transpose one sequence with another. Also, a wave folder.

Also he makes a couple albums with music easel, so this thread should be helpful too https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7433&postdays=0&post order=asc&start=0
slumberjack
his shared system seems more te bi in use for the NIN gigs.

as i listend to the purple forse lp it sound like all recordings were done with the same system. music easel i suggest for this particular album. one track on it (which was the initial one to get hold of the record) you can find it played live videotaped at youtube > trash audio at the apothecary part 2 - you might know this already.
and as he seems to be a guy with an interest into letting the scene know what he's doing he often verify which instrument he used for an album. and most of his albums are something like a one-instrument-research often.

as skyshaver suggested (and you can verify in the apothecary videos) they are all drenched in verbs. eventide and/or strymon.

1.
all depending on your blings, i'd suggest to get a 128hp case to place the mutables, the smrf and the wasp for sure and get a rainmaker and fill the rest up with a the most modulations sources you can have (maybe the rene would fit?). that will provide you an incredible ambient source for playing live right away.

but you may not come close to cortini like sounds.

2.
that fore i'd fill the 6u system with ems and buchla alike stuff. for the modulations i'd suggest as you stated quadra +expander, verbos random sampling and probaly the sequence selector.
as also stated above lopaz gates.
and 2-3 dedicated osc's with waveshape possibilites.
and a touchplate keyboard, or stay with rene.

3.
(spring verb - music easel has one build in)
+
strymon big sky or
eventide space or
ehx cathedral or
(tc novaverb)



if you're i hurry and low on cash you might just pass step 1 like selling those to found step 2.

my two cents as i'm researching cortini as a long-term record collector and synthesis trainee.
InnnerSight
As this is modular land there are many ways to achieve these sounds. The most obvious is to use the same instrument, or build one like it.

For this something along the lines of an Adder, Pressure Points, LxD, DPO and an Erbe Verb along with your Rene will go a long way.

Run the DPO into the LxD, use the pressure out of the PP to modulate the LxD, feed the output into Erbe Verb.

Create your sequence on Rene and then use the Adder to add the cv output of the Rene to that of the PP and feed that into the DPO, this will allow you to transpose your sequence.

Add modulation to taste.
rejstartel
Thanks a lot guys!
Forgot to mention that I'm using Strymon's TimeLine and BigSky on the send / returns.

I'm specifically looking for Eurorack modules to fill the gap in my system.
I'm aware of the make noise shared system but not sure which modules would make a the difference in my system.
I'm looking for a Sound generator and maybe another function generator?
luketeaford
I think a lot of Cortini's sound comes from experimentation, good ideas, and years of refining his aesthetic -- as others have stated he has made albums with vintage Buchlas and with the completely unsexy MC-202.

For generating those thick timbres, I would want to start with a complex oscillator of some kind: DPO, Verbos Complex, and many others are available.
albiedamned
In interviews, he's said how he likes to focus on a single instrument for a particular project or album. For modular, he likes to use a system from a single manufacturer and consider it as a self-contained instrument. Specifically, he's used systems from Make Noise, Verbos, and of course Buchla.
nickbaba
MC-202 unsexy? Where I come from them's fightin' words, pardner...!

All 3 Forse albums were made on a Buchla Music Easel (not BEMI).

The Sonno album was made using an MC-202.
Risveglio was made using an MC-202 and TB-303.

The Spie EP was made on a Make Noise Shared system.

Take your pick!
Mikeyg3k
Sub 37
sempervirent
nickbaba wrote:
MC-202 unsexy? Where I come from them's fightin' words, pardner...!

Agree. 202 is an awesome device and definitely not unsexy. And it runs on batteries.

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/261711060" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
luketeaford
By calling the 202 unsexy I only mean that it does not have a reputation for being a dream synthesizer in the same way as vintage Buchlas do, for example. It is easy to get lost drooling over systems on modular grid and forget about what is possible with a fiddly sequencer and a classic synth voice.

Certainly intend not to belittle the 202 or Music made with it! d'oh!
L.C.O.
Glad the OP asked the question, so that the two part video studio visit was linked above, so that I can watch it!
Thanks chaps!
sempervirent
luketeaford wrote:
By calling the 202 unsexy I only mean that it does not have a reputation for being a dream synthesizer in the same way as vintage Buchlas do, for example. It is easy to get lost drooling over systems on modular grid and forget about what is possible with a fiddly sequencer and a classic synth voice.

Oh, definitely – the sequencer is very quirky and the 202 is certainly less of a GAS generator than Alessandro's vintage Buchla! I always thought the 202 was a bit unsexy as well, until I borrowed one from a friend a few months ago and actually thought it was pretty compelling.

LCO be sure to check this one too, building up a simple patch over a few minutes:

Mikeyg3k
Just expanding on my Sub 37 comment above, and I know you said "modules" but I just wanted to show how capable this thing is.

Check this preset it's called "creamy strings" with like a dead simple 8!step sequence. Soo nice. Alessandro even did a soundbank for the synth.

creamy strings
akrylik
http://www.caterinabarbieri.com/patterns-of-consciousness.html

Made with ER-101 + VERBOS HARMONIC OSC. The liner notes are really interesting to read too:

http://www.caterinabarbieri.com/info.html
skyshaver
ignatius wrote:
skyshaver wrote:
You also need to invest in some very high-quality reverb and delay units or plug-ins. All of Alessandro Cortini's records are drenched in what sounds to me like Eventide reverb and delay. A lot of the sound of the Forse records is what's going on in the reverbs and delays and how they are mingling with each other to create secondary harmonies and rhythms.


he's also done records in hotels where he recorded mc-202 sessions on a cassette recorder through the mic in the portable recorder. razz

there's this sonicstate interview before NAMM show a couple years ago... and a bunch of interviews about recent projects on line if you look around and a good thread here in the artist dicussion sub forum that has a lot of cortini talk.





http://hospitalproductions.net/2014/07/alessandro-cortini-sonno/

Quote:
ALESSANDRO CORTINI - sonno

Alessandro Cortini is best known as the lead electronics performer in Nine Inch Nails’ live unit. His recordings under his own name have gained prominence in recent years and he has become known as one of the pre-eminent Buchla masters in North America. Cortini makes a surprising departure into the 202 on his debut album for Hospital Productions - ‘Sonno’.

‘Sonno’ was recorded in hotel rooms, using a Roland MC 202 through a delay pedal, recorded direct, sometimes into a small portable speaker system.

“I liked to walk around the room with a handheld recorder to hear where the sequence would sound better, turn on faucets, open doors or windows to see how the ambient sounds would interact with the MC 202/delay/speaker sound. It was very relaxing and liberating to make music this way...”

The result is a beautifully restrained yet oddly emotive album that’s quite distinct from the overly academic approach so often undertaken by hardware driven devotees.


Yeah, that's why I mentioned the Forse records in particular, I'm familiar with the process for Sonno but there is still some definite post-processing on that record.
nickbaba
Quote:
Certainly intend not to belittle the 202 or Music made with it!


Hehe no offense taken. The MC-202 was my first analog synth back in 1992 and I made my first electronic music using just it, a Kenton MIDI-to-CV, an Akai S950 and an Atari ST. That little plastic box has a special place in my heart.
I still have one (now with Kenton CV/Gate mod) and used it on a track just last week - instant bassline bliss.
Nice to see that Alessandro, who has every dream synth going and then some, made a whole album with one. Respect. we're not worthy
slumberjack
there's an excellent interview with cortini for resident advisor ex.275, where he talks about his albums, his workflows and eurorack in general.

you might have a look on the sputnik modules.
slumberjack
there is doepfer a-143-1 quad complex ad which seems pretty west coast.
and with around 200$ new more than comparable with quadra (i love it...).
soundslikejoe
nickbaba wrote:
All 3 Forse albums were made on a Buchla Music Easel (not BEMI).


Are you 100% positive about that? I know for certain several tracks were just the Easel.... but I'm also fairly certain that some of the other tracks were a combination of that and the large 200 system he has setup. A few even seem multitracked.

The Easel is flexible... but some of those tracks would be impossible with one complex oscillator.
soundslikejoe
rejstartel wrote:
I like to know if there are modules out there I definitely need to check before making a decision. Hope you guys can give me some advise/options here.

My case: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/355788

Cheers


I think that case requires a random source and LPG before you'll get some of that Cortini stuff happening. The random is good for keeping the drones less flat....

I'd look at Woggle Bug or Nano Rand... and Optomix for LPGs.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group