MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Xaoc Tallin dual VCA
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Xaoc Tallin dual VCA
mantiwhore
XAOC TALLIN
1956 Dual Discrete Core VC Amp

6 hp
Ships: TBA (probably June 2017)
Price: TBA

Tallin is a dual voltage control amplifier and overdrive. Both channels offer identical functions build around a "modern vintage" discrete VCA core.
The voltage control of Talin is unique in that it offers simultaneous exponential and linear control over its gain through two respective CV inputs
(both normalled internally to 8V). The dedicated knob sets CV sensitivity from the EXP input thus allowing to control the dynamic range, or gain
(should the input remain unpatched).

The 3-position switch allows to select the operating regime: a linear one (with soft-clipping engaged only when output exceeds 16Vpp),
a non-symmetric overdrive (yielding mostly 2nd harmonic tube-like distortion), or a symmetric overdrive (yielding mostly 3rd harmonic
transistor-like distortion).

The green-yellow-red LED indicates output level, enagaging of the overdrive, and finally - the soft clipping action.

Come visit us at booth E220 on Superbooth17 to play the module.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-tallin
InteBra
Cool. I was born there. The Estonian spelling is "Tallinn".
pieter
Very keen to hear how it sounds, especially with the three drive settings.

Could you explain a bit more how exp and lin input work together? I can see how you can get very nice rhythmic variations by triggering one and then the other, but what if both get an envelope simultaneously? Does the VCA CV in work as a max between the two?

Edit: Also, could you explain what you mean by "discrete VCA core"? Is it two completely separate circuits?
xaoc_tech
pieter wrote:
V
Could you explain a bit more how exp and lin input work together? I can see how you can get very nice rhythmic variations by triggering one and then the other, but what if both get an envelope simultaneously? Does the VCA CV in work as a max between the two?

It behaves like two VCAs connected in series (an exponential one followed by a linear one). But it's physically one core.
pieter
Cool, thanks.
Tonemod
I have a spot for one of these in my case. Love having a bit of drive to beef up an oscillator.
Aiyn Zahev
This looks real nice. I'm in the market for a new VCA. So if you don't drive it hard is it quite clean?

Also is the CV in on A normalized to B with nothing patched in (for easy Stereo set up for example)?
boboter
This looks really cool and useful.

Would it be possible to normal output A to B, so if nothing is connected to output A, it'll work like a mixer?
richc90
I'm really interested in this, but it's misleading to say it's "unique in that it offers simultaneous exponential and linear control" --- see the Verbos Amplitude & Tone controller.

Oh, and another vote to normal output A to output B!
Tonemod
boboter wrote:
This looks really cool and useful.

Would it be possible to normal output A to B, so if nothing is connected to output A, it'll work like a mixer?

+1 Maybe some jumpers to select to normal the outputs / cv inputs?
damase
Its June now applause
any updates on Tallin?
Avjr
Updates would be appreciated. This is starting to gather my interest.
xaoc_tech
Avjr wrote:
Updates would be appreciated. This is starting to gather my interest.

Unfortunately, there was a little problem detected in the pre-production tests and it needs to go through some tweaking. I can estimate it will be delayed by 1 month.
zolar_czakl
This looks nice! I need some more vca in my rack. Looking forward to a demo of this one. I want to hear how it overdrives SlayerBadger!
okkoto
Enjoy the show!
MrNovember
I only have 126hp of modular left after downsizing, but I saved room for Tallin. I'm really excited about it
vonbeak
August now.. hyper
Still no sound demo's coming up or something?

Want to swap out my doepfer 132 for this one
Jalopy
hyper
Jalopy
The hole inside me....

cry
vonbeak
Still no news? pbear :(
xaoc_tech
First batch is being assembled atm, it should be available for shipping in a week.
khyber
Any demos?
fwheel
Any estimates on the price yet?
mantiwhore

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are happy to announce Xaoc Tallin,
Dual Discrete Voltage Controlled Amplifier, model of 1956.
Shipping starts on Wednesday, 22th November.

Teaser: https://youtu.be/F9JmT8whkko
Manual: http://xaocdevices.com/manuals/xaoc_tallin_manual.pdf
MSRP: 160 EUR.

You can already preorder yours at
- Control (US),
- Escape from Noise (Sweden),
- Schneidersladen (Germany),
- Hieber Lindberg (Germany),
- Analogue Zone (Hungary).

More to come!
nimmen
nice, any more demos?