MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Xaoc Drezno, Lipsk - Leibniz subsystem
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author Xaoc Drezno, Lipsk - Leibniz subsystem
mantiwhore
XAOC DREZNO
1989 Binary Conversion Komputor

12 hp
Ships in May 2017
Price: TBA

XAOC LIPSK
1989 Bit Inversion Commander

6 hp
Ships in May 2017
Price: TBA

Drezno consists of a flexible ADC (analog-to-digital converter) and DAC (digital-to-analog converter)
that can be cross-patched, or used independently. It offers:

- digital manipulation of analog signals and voltages
- converting slowly changing voltages to 8 rhytmic gates
- converting combinations of up to 8 gate signals to complex waveforms
- quantization and bit mangling or crushing of signals
- a digital sample&hold function

The input is converted to digital representation and made available in the form of 8 binary (gate) signals.
These signals can be freely mixed, scrambled, inverted, cross-patched, etc. At the end, 8 binary signals are
converted back to analog domain. Both conversions may be performed synchronously with external clock
patched to respective clock inputs, or asynchronously, at high speed of internal clock. Drezno can handle
signal changes as fast as 1MHz, so there is no aliasing with audio rate input.

Drezno may also act as an input/output device for an upcoming barebone "Leibniz" digital signal processing
subsystem.

Lipsk is an expander for Xaoc Drezno module that allows to flip (invert) individual bits of the digital signal
representation. It features 8 illuminated tact switches for manual control as well as 8 individual gate inputs.
When connected to Drezno which is processing a waveform, inversion of individual bits yields fractal-like pattern
waveforms.

Bit processing logic in Lipsk is hardware based, hence there is virtually no latency, and the binary signals may
change at extreme rates.

Come visit us at booth E220 on Superbooth17 to play these modules.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-drezno
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xaoc-devices-lipsk
wavecircle
Fuck!

I love messing around with these modules in the Nord G2. To have it in hardware would be amazing.
Paranormal Patroler
wavecircle wrote:
Fuck!

I love messing around with these modules in the Nord G2. To have it in hardware would be amazing.

There are a couple of modules with similar functionality available, some of which are really great to play with. Still, nothing that offers both in one package and nothing as sleek and sexy looking as what Xaoc offers.

Super nice! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at SuperBooth!
Baddcr
woah

How refreshing and very intriguing, can't quite imagine how these are going to behave/sound, but going to find out for sure!!
The Illuminaire
These look fantastic!

Now to carve out 18HP before May...
TechForze
Very interested in some demo's of this set next week!
mqtthiqs
Ha this is great! Well done guys. This should be a lot of fun for bit-crushing audio, LFO mangling, or even as a 2^n equal temperament quantizer (does it work?).

So if I understand correctly a fast clock is normalized to the clock inputs? how fast?
xaoc_tech
mqtthiqs wrote:
Ha this is great! Well done guys. This should be a lot of fun for bit-crushing audio, LFO mangling, or even as a 2^n equal temperament quantizer (does it work?).

So if I understand correctly a fast clock is normalized to the clock inputs? how fast?

Yes, the internal clock is normalized to the ADC CLOCK input, and the actual ADC clock (as selected in the socket) is normalized (through a chain of expander headers on the back) to the DAC CLOCK socket. The internal clock is about 2MHz, so it will handle full audio bandwidth signals without aliasing (and it sounds pretty good for an 8-bit representation).

Quantization to equal temperament is possible, but may be tricky to set up with free controls over scale and offset on both sides. Also, the converters are 8-bit, so the accuracy may be a insuficient for accurate tuning (the conversion error is usually worse than just the theoretic quantization error)
letitbleep
man I really want to hear about Leibniz. any hints?
xaoc_tech
letitbleep wrote:
man I really want to hear about Leibniz. any hints?

Converting a signal or CV to digital representation opens a whole dimension of digital transformations that may be performed on them. Flipping and cross-patching bits (as offered by Lipsk) are just the simplest operations that affect the instantaneous value of the signal, so they can be called memoryless. The Leibniz subsystem is a planned suite of expanders that will operate digitally in time and frequency domain by using some computing techniques from '70s and '80s.
nashsnazzy
I'm really digging Xaoc lately. These new modules look like a lot of fun.
porphyrion
Fantastic stuff! Great ideas, and from the Xaoc-modules I know such as the Batumi or even my Warna, great execution. Decent aesthetic design-choices as well- I'll be following you guys closely-
yghartsyrt
looks ace
ignatius
oh wow. these look fun!
wavecircle
Ah, Leibniz as in:

∫ and dy/dx

Will this be a calculus machine?
ignatius
wavecircle wrote:
Ah, Leibniz as in:

∫ and dy/dx

monad machine.
xaoc_tech
wavecircle wrote:
Ah, Leibniz as in:

∫ and dy/dx

Well ... not exactly, this guessing went too far cool

Integration and differentiation is (almost) perfectly handled by analog circuits, no need to employ digital for that. Instead, we will explore the various aspects of 8-bit arithmetics in this barebone subsystem.

As for hints, consider that besides inventing the differential and integral calculus, Leibniz also significantly contributed to the development of mechanical calculators. He was born in Lepzig (Polish name: Lipsk). And Dresden (Polish name: Drezno) was the location of VEB Kombinat Robotron, the biggest East German manufacturer of personal, mini-, and mainframe computers.
wavecircle
xaoc_tech wrote:
wavecircle wrote:
Ah, Leibniz as in:

∫ and dy/dx

Integration and differentiation is (almost) perfectly handled by analog circuits, no need to employ digital for that. Instead, we will explore the various aspects of 8-bit arithmetics in this barebone subsystem.

As for hints, consider that besides inventing the differential and integral calculus, Leibniz also significantly contributed to the development of mechanical calculators. He was born in Lepzig (Polish name: Lipsk). And Dresden (Polish name: Drezno) was the location of VEB Kombinat Robotron, the biggest East German manufacturer of personal, mini-, and mainframe computers.

Ah man, I love this kind of stuff. I guess I am going into Eurorack after all. Perhaps I can get something to shrink my hands....
Jumbuktu
xaoc_tech wrote:
wavecircle wrote:
Ah, Leibniz as in:

∫ and dy/dx

So, are we talking wavetables and 8-bit DSP?
xaoc_tech
Jumbuktu wrote:
So, are we talking wavetables and 8-bit DSP?

Yes, but I can't reveal the details atm. It's still in development.
blinosynth
is it like to have a oto biscuit in eurorack?
sempervirent
Beautiful work as always, Xaoc crew.

I don't fully understand what this does at first glance, and that's a good thing.
dooj88
I can't wait to see some demos of this. Looks really fun. And the aesthetic is badass.
richc90
I don't really have a good sense of what this will do, but it consider me super intrigued.
Dcramer
richc90 wrote:
I don't really have a good sense of what this will do, but it consider me super intrigued.

Awesome to see such a fresh idea in a new module thumbs up

Can't wait for someone smarter than me to help me understand it! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 1 of 7