MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Zetaohm Fluxus One Kickstarter has been launched!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author Zetaohm Fluxus One Kickstarter has been launched!
Nielsen
6Human wrote:
A lot to love about this one, but would like to know more about probability for gates and random notes. Did I miss any info?

Yeah, i was thinking about this, too. Does the it have something similar like the Stillson Hammer MK2 random functions?
NoobOlar
@cosmikwolf

Big buttons in all those funny shapes. Are the funny shapes kept above the panel or do they move down through the panel? I mean does the panel have cutouts that match the shape of the buttons?

I was wondering if it is possible for the user to replace those buttons with something we like.
brandonlogic
to those who are worried/hesitant about kick starters, this kick starter as reached 80% of its goal in 3 days and still has 3 weeks left to go.
i dont think we have anything to worry about!! It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners

ps i love the crazy buttons! Guinness ftw!
Dark Barn
I like the funny shapes.

nikbee
this looks great!

my dream sequencer is basically something like this, but with the ability to 'quantize' the notes through midi.. is something like this even possible? my problem with euro sequencers in general is how difficult it is to write chord progressions. i know it is possible, but it takes far too long for me.. would be incredible to have the ability to input all the gate/trigger/note info, but have the note info slaved to a midi controller.
nikbee
nikbee wrote:
this looks great!

my dream sequencer is basically something like this, but with the ability to 'quantize' the notes through midi.. is something like this even possible? my problem with euro sequencers in general is how difficult it is to write chord progressions. i know it is possible, but it takes far too long for me.. would be incredible to have the ability to input all the gate/trigger/note info, but have the note info slaved to a midi controller.

this sequencer is making me think, and i thought out loud on another thread and wanted to chime in here in case anyone had ideas.

on the kickstarter page i saw this:

"Fluxus One has MIDI input and output via two 3.5mm jacks on the front panel (3.5mm <-> 5-pin MIDI cable sold separately). MIDI sync input and output is currently supported for outboard gear. Future plans for MIDI include a method of composing sequences with MIDI keyboard, as well as other MIDI controller based performance modes. MIDI output to other synthesizers is planned as well."

i'm curious what the other controller based performance modes would be.

i have this hope/idea for a sequencer that can do a thing i don't think i've seen before in a sequencer.

it looks something like this:

say i have a a simple 8 note sequence programmed in whatever basic sequencer (x=gate):

C2 D2 E2 F3 G3
| x - x x | - x x - |

if for example the sequencer has a midi in, i can 'override' the notes with my keyboard. say i hold a F#min7 chord on a keyboard and send it to the sequencer via midi.. the sequencer internally 'quantizes' the sequence (depending on the voicing of my F#min7 of course) to something like

C#2 E2 E2 F#3 A3
| x - x x | - x x - |

or, i just hold down an F# and all the notes in the sequence change to F#.

and then after two bars i play a FMaj7 on the keyboard, sequence changes again, you get the point..

then you let go of everything, and the sequence is back to the original.

now if you mix this with all the randomness that modern sequencers like the fluxus provide you can get some really interesting stuff i think, and in what would ideally be a pretty small package. the unique thing would the option of harmonic 'domestication' that this form of addressing/quantizing can provide.

again, maybe there already is a way of doing this and i've miseed everything.
ugokcen
I think what you want is the SH-101 sequencer. The only module that can do this is I think is Yarns which is actually a midi module. I don't think you'll ever see a euro sequencer with midi/cv conversion built-in because it's an extra cost and not everyone uses midi.

There are non-euro options of course. You might like the Arturia Keystep which spits out CV, or there is this ipad app called midiSTEPs which you could pair up with a eurorack midi module.
brandonlogic
i like the idea of using a midi keyboard to set the quantization of one (or all) of the sequence channels at once. i dont necessarily think that it should return to the original if you take your hands of the keys though. it should hold the quantization until you make another one.
nikbee
ugokcen wrote:
I think what you want is the SH-101 sequencer. The only module that can do this is I think is Yarns which is actually a midi module. I don't think you'll ever see a euro sequencer with midi/cv conversion built-in because it's an extra cost and not everyone uses midi.

There are non-euro options of course. You might like the Arturia Keystep which spits out CV, or there is this ipad app called midiSTEPs which you could pair up with a eurorack midi module.

based on the description, this already has midi-to-cv conversion. and cv-to-midi as well.

i assume adding the functionality like the one i described would be a firmware issue.
nikbee
brandonlogic wrote:
i like the idea of using a midi keyboard to set the quantization of one (or all) of the sequence channels at once. i dont necessarily think that it should return to the original if you take your hands of the keys though. it should hold the quantization until you make another one.

me too, i think it would be quite revolutionary if one wants to play long and complex progressions.. like if i wanted to do a fucked up version of a dave holland song, and have a squirmy sequencer firing away, in key, and sometimes not, playing over the chord changes.. you could have your euro system interpret, quite awesomely i would think, some songs.

returning to the originial should be optional of course..

i think there can be 'note addressing' functions inside the sequencer.

one would be a 'note thru' function that simply plays whatever one is playing on a keyboard or whatever

the other would be a 'note quantize', which would quantize notes that have already been programmed into the sequencer to whatever is being sent to it via midi.

edit: and then imagine this with the ability to add per step arpeggiation, gate length, probability ratios(?), etc...

i can't help but think that sequencers are still in a pre-modern stage harmonically.. you either have really chaotic shit, which is great of course, or really simple scale quantization.. of course one can write complex progressions with an insane amount of work and money and with multiple quantizers etc.. but a sequencer that can do all this, contained in one module would be really special.
windspirit
Theres always a chance that if you ask for it they will add it as a feature.
ugokcen
Quote:
based on the description, this already has midi-to-cv conversion. and cv-to-midi as well.

Wait, I completely missed that. I thought the midi port was just for clocking. Can the developer confirm what the midi capabilities are?
windspirit
I think the midi functionality is still in developement but if the module can receive clock then it has the hardware to handle all of the other midi messages out there.
mokomo
It's open source teensyduino ... so I'd expect you could do whatever you like with it if you can program well enough. Or at least Zeta Ohm will have a lot of flexibility in what they do with the firmware going forward
Will depend on how friendly the code is to interpret if you want to deeply integrate midi note data.

If it wasn't for the crazy buttons I'd give this 11/10!
nikbee
windspirit wrote:
Theres always a chance that if you ask for it they will add it as a feature.

im hoping all this blabbery will do just that cool

i know i keep repeating myself and i apologize, but i really think this would be pretty life changing. in modular synthesis it is is easy to make modal music, but if you don't.. like, it is really hard, on a harmonic level, to make music on a modular that isn't a glorified wind chime.

a sequencer that can respond in (close to) real time to chord changes would be really incredible, and i think totally unique.

i think this is the first sequencer i have seen that has everything it needs to implement this feature.
mokomo

this video pushed me over the line - it looks very strong as a compact modulation core with a powerfully configurable 20v swing dac and smooth curves.
I'm less looking for a straightforward gate pattern sequencer than I am a cv/envelope sequencer and this seems a great combination of both. Sort of a 8xControl Forge (but it is actually a sequencer) seems to be possible with it. Hopefully the arp available per step will also include user-stored envelope/lfo/custom-sequences/phrases.

intrigued as to how much further control is available when using the 4 cv and 4 gate inputs and the permutations available with other sources driving it.
ugokcen
At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'm going to say you are kinda missing the point of going modular. It's good to get away from the keyboard once in a while, even if you are a trained pianist. Different sequencers make you think differently about rhythm and melody. I've done things on Rene that I would never come up with on a keyboard (totally melodic by the way, not bleeps and bloops). So what I look for in a sequencer is a fresh interface, not what I can already do with a DAW.

A classic example would be the TB-303. Trying to play those basslines on a keyboard, or inputting them with a mouse on a piano roll is next to impossible, let alone frustrating. But that weird sequencer Roland put on there gave rise to a whole new genre of music.
nikbee
ugokcen wrote:
At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'm going to say you are kinda missing the point of going modular. It's good to get away from the keyboard once in a while, even if you are a trained pianist. Different sequencers make you think differently about rhythm and melody. I've done things on Rene that I would never come up with on a keyboard (totally melodic by the way, not bleeps and bloops). So what I look for in a sequencer is a fresh interface, not what I can already do with a DAW.

A classic example would be the TB-303. Trying to play those basslines on a keyboard, or inputting them with a mouse on a piano roll is next to impossible, let alone frustrating. But that weird sequencer Roland put on there gave rise to a whole new genre of music.

not pretentious, but missing the point. i agree with everything you said, and i like to get away from the keyboard, and do, all the time. i dont always want this particular function, but when i do, i cant do it because i dont think it exists.

an x0x sequencer to me isnt just a quirky little machine, it is a form of life! seriously, i am obsessed with it.. no human could every reproduce that particular type of funk. BUT, it is harmonically 'dumb'. it cannot respond in real time to changes, harmonic drift, etc..

again, sometimes i write music with changes and melodies and all that.. probably most of the time i dont. but when i DO, modular is like the person in the band who never took basic music theory lessons.

that's why i want this in a sequencer. because sequencers do things that humans cant, or wouldnt, or whatever.

i understand your point, and now it is my turn to be pretentious, but i think a lot of the music made with modulars is rather infantile harmonically. again, expensive wind chimes.. algorithmic/generative music is philosophically really uninteresting to me (im being generous cool ). it CAN be used, but again, there should be a space, in modulars, between completely aleatoric processes and rotating-sushi-bar quantization.
mokomo
found another one of an older prototype
VanEck
this may have been answered already, but is there any way to change the clock per channel? being able to clock divide each channel differently on the SH mkII is one of my favorite features. would love to see the ability to do that on the flxs1 as well.
brandonlogic
VanEck wrote:
this may have been answered already, but is there any way to change the clock per channel? being able to clock divide each channel differently on the SH mkII is one of my favorite features. would love to see the ability to do that on the flxs1 as well.

havnt heard about internal clock division/mult but I do love that the gate inputs can be set so each sequence channel has its own clock input! so you can do your clocking externally for each channel (pams workout will be great with it). that was one of the main selling points on this for me!

Quote:
4 Assignable Gate Inputs

Per-channel clock input (4-32ppq)
Pattern advance / select (with CV input)
Arp / glide / random enable
geremyf
I am considering pledging because I am in a panic about what to do with my Er-301 and my upcoming e370. I have a couple of miscellaneous questions.

1. I'm a bit wary of one encoder to enter all the note values. It's more fun to enter multiple notes simultaneously. I believe I see from the videos that on the screen the 16 note values can be displayed at once. Can notes be edited from this screen as well or will we have to enter the individual step screen to change each note value?

2. There is some mention of an X-Y clock mode similar to Rene's Cartesian mode but i don't see this explicitly demoed. Is this a definite?

3. I understand that there are four independent cv-gate channels and that they can do everything independently, but is there an explicit poly mode where I can control the 4 channels from one main pattern? Is it configurable for 1&3 and 2&2 voices as well?

4. How configurable is the midi interface? I have tentatively planned to purchase an expert sleepers fh-1. Are the more basic modes of the Fh-1 covered by the built-in midi interface? Is the USB port capable of hosting keyboards or controllers?

5. Will there be an external dedicated app to control via midi or will we just be using sysex librarian?

Thanks! This looks pretty promising. I had kind of planned on a teletype with expanders but this looks friendlier.

Aesthetically I don't mind the funky buttons but I'd prefer a regular silver panel to match the rest of my rig. I doubt I'll be able to get one from grayscale with those button shapes!
wanne
hi !
why the big shipping amount outside the US ?
i really want to order one but 45$ for shipping looks a bit expensive to me !?
i guess there will be also a nice invoice inside the pack so an extra amount of taxes is a shure thing Dead Banana
akrylik
wanne wrote:
hi !
why the big shipping amount outside the US ?
i really want to order one but 45$ for shipping looks a bit expensive to me !?
i guess there will be also a nice invoice inside the pack so an extra amount of taxes is a shure thing Dead Banana

What are you talking about? That is a great price for shipping outside of the US. Usually its much higher.
mokomo
geremyf wrote:

2. There is some mention of an X-Y clock mode similar to Rene's Cartesian mode but i don't see this explicitly demoed. Is this a definite?

mentioned at 5:42

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 2 of 15