Zetaohm Fluxus One Kickstarter has been launched!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

kullboys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kullboys » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 am

Hello
Where is the GitHub link? Couldn't find it on Kickstarter nor GitHub.

cosmikwolf
Learning to Wiggle

AN UPDATE FROM TENKAI

Post by cosmikwolf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:54 pm

Hello everybody,

So its been a minute, and I totally get that there are a bunch of my customers that are frustrated. I might be too, in your position.

Here is the low down:

2018 was a doozie. In January, my wife had surgery, I had to be a full time care taker for 6 months. This put me out of the rhythm of working on FLXS1 software, and I effectively offloaded that information from my brain for a little while. Around the same time as my wife having surgery, I lost my workshop space because they tripled my rent. I moved my workshop into my living room. I also had to find other work to pay the bills. Long story short, I’ve been super busy.

I want you all to know that I am 100% committed to release updates to FLXS1. I also intend to release the source code at some point (if you want to have access to it sooner, message me. developers who have a FLXS1 to the front of the line plz :) ). Its just a matter of finding the time, and getting people to actually test and give me good feedback. My drop dead date for this is Superbooth, as there are some things happening then that I need to have FLXS1 updates for (and no, its not an updated FLXS1)

Here are the changes that I have on the top of my list:

1. Fix first step bug
2. More than 16 save slots
3. Load exported save file via sysex
4. apply random to the modulation settings like you can with pitch (random lfo/speed/level on all steps)
5. per step delay setting (set by milliseconds)
6. MIDI input for writing sequences
7. probability setting per step

I also want everyone to know that I totally support the community aspect of this! To this end, I will be moving all my support conversations to a Zetaohm Discourse forum, this will happen when I have an update available to test. I will be getting people to use the forum by releasing the code there, and asking for feedback through it. I can’t keep track of all the stuff that goes on in muffwiggler. I abhor PHPBB and I don’t agree that it is the ‘main modular forum’ anymore. Modular happens in real life, with real people, and real challenges get in the way, and real people help each other make this thing happen. Trade shows are a great place to see whats new and what people are working on.

Until the forum is up, you can always email me: tenkai at_zetaohm D0t com. You can also submit a support ticket, but once the forum goes up, I will be removing the fresh desk support system, and instead I will make all my support via email and forum posts. (fresh desk makes sense for teams, but with individual stuff, its just another feed to check)

my favorite quote from this thread:
I have a sneaky suspicion that Tenkai is Anti-Capitalist.
Capitalism: the source, and the temporary solution to, most of life’s problems…

Something that people should understand about me is that I am an Artist first, and engineer second, and a business person 3rd. I did something to test myself, creatively and technically and I met that challenge. The business end of it is the hardest part for me to keep up with. If anybody wants to be a marketing person for Zetaohm, I might be looking for someone to help in that arena in the next few months… plz inquire within...

Any who, thats all for now. Hope everyone is well. I will leave you with a record I released a few months ago. Buy it and help support FLXS1 development ;D

[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=1324999068 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false]
Last edited by cosmikwolf on Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:38 pm

:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Randomized modulation, probability per step, and delay per step- the features I been looking forward to most, confirmed! Amazing!

Seriously tho...
Randomized modulation :yay:

As you know, I’m happy to help test firmwares!

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Re: AN UPDATE FROM TENKAI

Post by deke » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:41 pm

cosmikwolf wrote:Hello everybody,

So its been a minute, and I totally get that there are a bunch of my customers that are frustrated. I might be too, in your position.

Here is the low down:

2018 was a doozie. In January, my wife had surgery, I had to be a full time care taker for 6 months. This put me out of the rhythm of working on FLXS1 software, and I effectively offloaded that information from my brain for a little while. Around the same time as my wife having surgery, I lost my workshop space because they tripled my rent. I moved my workshop into my living room. I also had to find other work to pay the bills. Long story short, I’ve been super busy.

I want you all to know that I am 100% committed to release updates to FLXS1. I also intend to release the source code at some point (if you want to have access to it sooner, message me. developers who have a FLXS1 to the front of the line plz :) ). Its just a matter of finding the time, and getting people to actually test and give me good feedback. My drop dead date for this is Superbooth, as there are some things happening then that I need to have FLXS1 updates for (and no, its not an updated FLXS1)

Here are the changes that I have on the top of my list:

1. Fix first step bug
2. More than 16 save slots
3. Load exported save file via sysex
4. apply random to the modulation settings like you can with pitch (random lfo/speed/level on all steps)
5. per step delay setting (set by milliseconds)
6. MIDI input for writing sequences
7. probability setting per step

I also want everyone to know that I totally support the community aspect of this! To this end, I will be moving all my support conversations to a Zetaohm Discourse forum, this will happen when I have an update available to test. I will be getting people to use the forum by releasing the code there, and asking for feedback through it. I can’t keep track of all the stuff that goes on in muffwiggler. I abhor PHPBB and I don’t agree that it is the ‘main modular forum’ anymore. Modular happens in real life, with real people, and real challenges get in the way, and real people help each other make this thing happen. Trade shows are a great place to see whats new and what people are working on.

Until the forum is up, you can always email me: tenkai at_zetaohm D0t com. You can also submit a support ticket, but once the forum goes up, I will be removing the fresh desk support system, and instead I will make all my support via email and forum posts. (fresh desk makes sense for teams, but with individual stuff, its just another feed to check)

my favorite quote from this thread:
I have a sneaky suspicion that Tenkai is Anti-Capitalist.
Capitalism: the source, and the temporary solution to, most of life’s problems…

Something that people should understand about me is that I am an Artist first, and engineer second, and a business person 3rd. I did something to test myself, creatively and technically and I met that challenge. The business end of it is the hardest part for me to keep up with. If anybody wants to be a marketing person for Zetaohm, I might be looking for someone to help in that arena in the next few months… plz inquire within...

Any who, thats all for now. Hope everyone is well. I will leave you with a record I released a few months ago. Buy it and help support FLXS1 development ;D

[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=1324999068 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false]
Thanks so much for posting this. First and foremost I hope your wife is 100% better and whatever health issue she had is completely resolved. We have had our own share of being family care givers and it is very stressful. You really can't imagine how difficult it is until you go through it (and don't get me started on how our heath system's insurance red tape nonsense makes this even worse). Family always comes first! Thanks again, best to your wife and see you on your new forum.

cosmikwolf
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cosmikwolf » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:18 am

Hey guys,

the new forum is up, and the new firmware beta is posted

https://planet.zetaohm.com/t/welcome-to-planet-zetaohm

check out planet zetaohm, ill be hanging out there pretty regularly

mokomo
Common Wiggler

Post by mokomo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:27 am

Great to hear all well with your partner.

Delighted to see the items in the update and that you are working on midi-in sequence recording and the other enhancements.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:06 pm

New forum is great, good to able to give feedback. Looking fwd to the updates. FLXS1 just needs a few more tweaks and bug fixes to take it to the next level :bananaguitar:

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:45 pm

I have noticed on the newest beta19a firmware that save slots from 17-128 do not work. After pressing shift + save it flashes 'Saved' but on recalling the patch it just shows as a blank preset. Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?

vytis
Veteran Wiggler

Post by vytis » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:46 am

[video][/video]

FLXS1 has moved ER-101 out of my live case.

Here's a little sequence for a rainy afternoon.
Melody + Envelopes driven by FLXS1.
In this sketch I am muting / unmuting steps and occasionally transposing a note here and there from another channel.
Running FLXS beta firmware 19a.
128 save slots is a major new feature.
Waiting anxiously for the Step Delay functionality. And, hopefully ability to Detune in cents. Tenkai is doing great work on the new firmware.
:tu:

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 am

Glad to hear all is well with Tenkai and that further development is happening with this sequencer.

I was an early kickstarter supporter and then became discouraged when no midi or cv gate keyboard function was supported. Now that that is in the works I'm about to jump back in.

2 questions:

1) What is the "1st step bug"?
2) What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?

Buyakasoundman
Common Wiggler

Post by Buyakasoundman » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:21 am

1) What is the "1st step bug"?
2) What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?[/quote]

I only had the FLXS1 in my system for a week or two, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The only bug I experienced was the “1st step bug”. This was a bug where the sequencer would freeze when quickly changing the “1st step parameter”; which step the sequence would start on. Other than that, my only reason for returning it was to investigate other options. It has been said so many times before, but bears repeating; there are no perfect sequencers and seat time reveals more than YT vids or spec sheets. I look forward to revisiting this sequencer when it’s a little more mature. Not that it’s buggy, it just has many features waiting in the wings.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Thank you for your quick response.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:50 am

miles_macquarrie wrote: What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?

Can anyone answer the above question? Can you sequence midi gear with the midi out? Didn't see any details in the manual.

wanne
Common Wiggler

Post by wanne » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:17 am

miles_macquarrie wrote:
miles_macquarrie wrote: What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?

Can anyone answer the above question? Can you sequence midi gear with the midi out? Didn't see any details in the manual.
yes you can !

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Thank you! Definitely going back in my rack. Can it send CC messages as well as note data?

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:01 pm

heyyyyyyyy was i tripping or did i see in some post that one can now shift a whole track by semitones or ocataves?
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

oneiric.tomb
Common Wiggler

Post by oneiric.tomb » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:48 pm

That would be great, a pretty essential feature imo.

I'm still a little confused about there being a new module coming out when the firmware on this is unfinished tho
WTB:
Schippmann Omega Phi mk2
Cwejman BLD-2
Cwejman PH-8

Tonescape
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonescape » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:02 am

behndy wrote:heyyyyyyyy was i tripping or did i see in some post that one can now shift a whole track by semitones or ocataves?
Not tripping! This is possible :tu:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:21 pm

nice! remind me how? i searched, could not find.

thanks!

Tonescape
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tonescape » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:52 am

behndy wrote:nice! remind me how? i searched, could not find.

thanks!
Sure. You hold the channel pad, and presse the "transpose" pad (3rd row, 2nd pad from the left) to go in to the transpose menu. Here you can dial in the wanted setting with the encoder.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:23 am

awesomeeeee. lol. you just saved me a TON of click knobby adjusting.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:46 am

well, that's disappointing.

https://planet.zetaohm.com/t/an-update-from-tenkai/137

i always loved using the FLXS, it's been my favorite melodic sequencer, i was always hoping the promised features would show up..... eventually.

glad i just ordered a NerdSeq.

deltaphoenix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by deltaphoenix » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:43 am

Ouch!
I would feel let down if I still had a FLXS-1. What is strange to me is that Tenkai still plans to release additional products yet he isn’t going to deliver on his promises for this one.
Also, the way he is framing making the code open source as a gift to the community is kind of strange...To me, the actions are actually saying Good Luck with that, I am on to the next thing.
For the current FLXS-1 owners, hopefully someone does finish the firmware and adds a few extra cool features. All I know is that I won’t be buying any of his future modules.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:09 am

Pretty Sucky as it still has issues that mean its not really a functioning v1.0 module as promised.

If your lucky somebody qualified may be interested in messing with the firmware as it didn't exactly sell thousands of units that is until he releases the hardware files then the builder community MAY embrace it like the O_C and make it more than it is at the moment.

For what it does do i really liked it but the bugs were too much for me. DIY though... id be back in

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:21 am

deltaphoenix wrote:Ouch!
I would feel let down if I still had a FLXS-1. What is strange to me is that Tenkai still plans to release additional products yet he isn’t going to deliver on his promises for this one.
Also, the way he is framing making the code open source as a gift to the community is kind of strange...To me, the actions are actually saying Good Luck with that, I am on to the next thing.
For the current FLXS-1 owners, hopefully someone does finish the firmware and adds a few extra cool features. All I know is that I won’t be buying any of his future modules.
lol. a very politely phrased description of how i feel. companies don't make it, i get that. people get in over their head, i get that.

but trying to still sell future product (that has a huge chance of being vaporware) while phrasing it like you're doing a favor to all the people that have been patiently waiting for a fun but buggy module to become what it was promised to be by abandoning the project?

that's.... something else.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”