MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Zetaohm Fluxus One Kickstarter has been launched!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Zetaohm Fluxus One Kickstarter has been launched!
cosmikwolf
Greeting humans, Tenkai here with Zetaohm.

The Kickstarter campaign is now live. You can check it out here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer/

Four Channel Sixty Four Step Sequencer
  • Four gate outputs (0-8v)
  • Eight CV outputs (±10v, 16-bit, 2 per channel)
  • Per-step arpeggiator with speed select
  • Scale quantization (microtonal scales planned)
    Four Assignable Gate Inputs
  • Per-channel clock input (4-32ppq)
  • Pattern advance / select (with CV input)
  • Arp / glide / random enable
    Four Assignable CV inputs (±5v, 13-bit)
  • Pitch transposition modulation
  • Arp speed modulation
    Dedicated Clock Output
  • Selectable clock division
    16mB Built-in Flash Memory
  • Save up to 1024 sequences (16 sets of 16x4)
    3.5mm + USB MIDI Input + Output
  • Sync to your computer over USB!
  • Sync to other gear with 3.5mm MIDI dongle
  • Connect oscillator output to CV input 1 - 4
    100% Open Source OS (Teensy compatible)
  • Update software over USB
  • Many software updates planned for 2017
    26hp / 200ma 12v / 50ma -12v

Make sure to visit www.zetaohm.com and sign up for our email list if you are interested. You will be be notified when discounted modules are available for early bird supporters when our Kickstarter goes live on Tuesday.

Zetaohm will also be demoing the Fluxus One at Superbooth17. Come Say Hi!

NoobOlar
Nice,
is the flash memory on removable cards?
So the user can keep hold of saved sequences on different cards?

Can you save sequences to and recall from USB (computer?)

Good luck
cosmikwolf
NoobOlar wrote:
Nice,
is the flash memory on removable cards?
So the user can keep hold of saved sequences on different cards?

Can you save sequences to and recall from USB (computer?)

Good luck

There is internal flash memory for up to 1024 sequences. You can dump your sequences to your computer via sysex using USB MIDI
DSC
Too bad you were not listing this for sale now! I am not a big Kickstarter fan.
Hope you can make your goals. thumbs up
Paranormal Patroler
You sure you want to start a Kickstarter campaign right when everyone will be a) busy checking all the new releases b) saving money for all the cool new releases ?

Not trying to piss on your campaign, far from it, I'm looking forward to checking how the sequencer works during SB. Just saying that from a marketing perspective it might not be a good move. Or maybe I'm wrong. Best of luck anyway!
cosmikwolf
Thank you for your feedback.

We have carefully considered our options.
Paranormal Patroler
cosmikwolf wrote:

Best of luck then! See you at Superbooth. w00t
cosmikwolf
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
cosmikwolf wrote:

Best of luck then! See you at Superbooth. w00t

Totally grin I am super excited. Never been to Berlin before!
echopraxia
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
You sure you want to start a Kickstarter campaign right when everyone will be a) busy checking all the new releases b) saving money for all the cool new releases ?

Not trying to piss on your campaign, far from it, I'm looking forward to checking how the sequencer works during SB. Just saying that from a marketing perspective it might not be a good move. Or maybe I'm wrong. Best of luck anyway!

...but this is the cool release.

all jokes aside, gonna back this so fast tomorrow i wont have time for thoughts like "is this a financially sound decision?".
Dark Barn
I would much rather buy one outright than support a Kickstarter also. I might or might not support the Kickstarter but would buy one immediately if you had them for sale.

At either rate it is a hardcore machine if it delivers. Well done Tenkai!
cosmikwolf
echopraxia wrote:
all jokes aside, gonna back this so fast tomorrow i wont have time for thoughts like "is this a financially sound decision?".

applause thumbs up It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners

Dark Barn wrote:
I would much rather buy one outright than support a Kickstarter also. I might or might not support the Kickstarter but would buy one immediately if you had them for sale.

At either rate it is a hardcore machine if it delivers. Well done Tenkai!

Thanks Dark Barn!

In response to the kickstarter concerns: Producing modules at volume takes a significant amount of capital. A kickstarter is the only way I could accomplish such an endeavor without taking out crazy loans and giving the banks a significant portion of the funds raised.

Rest assured, that this kickstarter campaign is NOT to DESIGN this module from scratch, but rather to fund manufacturing. I have spent two and a half years in development (one and a half years full time, 40-50 hrs/week), and we have already gone through 12 prototype revisions, as well as a design verification build of 5 modules with the trusty folks over at WMD.

Once the kickstarter has breached the goal, I will be flipping the switch to have the boards assembled. Pick and place is fairly quick, and then a team of myself and some friends will be completing the hand assembly.

Ship date will be in June, but if everything goes smoothly, I may be able to ship early bird modules by the end of May. The non early bird modules will probably be shipping late June / Early July.

If you skip the kickstarter, you may not be able to get a module for some time. I will not be doing a second run anytime soon. I have a number of other modules that need some undivided attention This is fun!
Dark Barn
Do the gate outs allow ratcheting so as to be synced with the arpeggiator? Are arpeggios chord/pattern based or can the notes be assigned freely? Can you glide through an arpeggio? Sorry if these answers are already covered somewhere.
windspirit
Gates work with the arpegiator so if you set it to 1 octave you will get ratcheting that doesnt change notes. No sure about the glide but I am guessing the answer is yes since each output has a glide circuit built in.
miles_macquarrie
Just sold my Rene to help fund this. I will definitely be pledging today.

Why are many of you not fans of Kickstarter? It seems like an excellent way to help new and existing companies fund great projects. This will be my 3rd Kickstarter synth based purchase. Kilpatrick Carbon, Synth Tech e370, and soon the FLXS 1.
Dark Barn
Thanks windspirit, I guess I should have watched that video first. I'm still wondering if arpeggios allow user editable notes/patterns. Or maybe if that's something Tenkai would consider adding at a later date.
miles_macquarrie
Dark Barn wrote:
Thanks windspirit, I guess I should have watched that video first. I'm still wondering if arpeggios allow user editable notes/patterns. Or maybe if that's something Tenkai would consider adding at a later date.

He mentioned on instagram that will be able to write your own arpeggios in a future update.

http://www.instagram.com/p/BSvQKdzAUh1/?taken-by=kittyspit
cosmikwolf
Dark Barn wrote:

Yes, you will eventually be able to select your own chords. Right now you select chords from a predefined list. Selecting your own arpeggio chords will be a necessity for microtonal and non equal temperament scales which are also planned.

Gates trigger with each arpeggio note in normal gate mode, however in 1 hit gate mode, only the first arpeggio not triggers, so you can trigger an envelope just once while the cv arpeggiates. Will also be able to send an envelope signal from each secondary cv with each arpeggio. Some fun things will emerge with that grin. Think of an LFO that descends in amplitude with the gate length.

Also yes you can glide through arpeggios
mokomo
It's launched on kickstarter!
cosmikwolf
mokomo wrote:
It's launched on kickstarter!

You beat me to it! Thank you for being the first supporter! You got in before I even had a chance to send out the email to my list!

The kickstarter is live! Go check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer

if you want to share with your friends, it is also aliased at bit.ly/zetaohm
Dark Barn
I'm in. Good luck!
miles_macquarrie
Pledged. Let's make this happen people!
fywzheng
backed, spending too much money on kickstarter for future products, haha, waiting for E370, datamachines, and Folktek Mescaline on Indiegogo.
Shwaj
Cool! Where is the GitHub link? Couldn't find it on Kickstarter nor GitHub.
6Human
A lot to love about this one, but would like to know more about probability for gates and random notes. Did I miss any info?
thetwlo
wow. perhaps the first module I wouldn't buy based on it's looks--always thought that was silly.. didn't care what it looked like. ...I guess the Lucky Charms diarrhea look is too much for me.
Nielsen
6Human wrote:
A lot to love about this one, but would like to know more about probability for gates and random notes. Did I miss any info?

Yeah, i was thinking about this, too. Does the it have something similar like the Stillson Hammer MK2 random functions?
NoobOlar
@cosmikwolf

Big buttons in all those funny shapes. Are the funny shapes kept above the panel or do they move down through the panel? I mean does the panel have cutouts that match the shape of the buttons?

I was wondering if it is possible for the user to replace those buttons with something we like.
brandonlogic
to those who are worried/hesitant about kick starters, this kick starter as reached 80% of its goal in 3 days and still has 3 weeks left to go.
i dont think we have anything to worry about!! It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana! nanners

ps i love the crazy buttons! Guinness ftw!
Dark Barn
I like the funny shapes.

nikbee
this looks great!

my dream sequencer is basically something like this, but with the ability to 'quantize' the notes through midi.. is something like this even possible? my problem with euro sequencers in general is how difficult it is to write chord progressions. i know it is possible, but it takes far too long for me.. would be incredible to have the ability to input all the gate/trigger/note info, but have the note info slaved to a midi controller.
nikbee
nikbee wrote:
this looks great!

my dream sequencer is basically something like this, but with the ability to 'quantize' the notes through midi.. is something like this even possible? my problem with euro sequencers in general is how difficult it is to write chord progressions. i know it is possible, but it takes far too long for me.. would be incredible to have the ability to input all the gate/trigger/note info, but have the note info slaved to a midi controller.

this sequencer is making me think, and i thought out loud on another thread and wanted to chime in here in case anyone had ideas.

on the kickstarter page i saw this:

"Fluxus One has MIDI input and output via two 3.5mm jacks on the front panel (3.5mm <-> 5-pin MIDI cable sold separately). MIDI sync input and output is currently supported for outboard gear. Future plans for MIDI include a method of composing sequences with MIDI keyboard, as well as other MIDI controller based performance modes. MIDI output to other synthesizers is planned as well."

i'm curious what the other controller based performance modes would be.

i have this hope/idea for a sequencer that can do a thing i don't think i've seen before in a sequencer.

it looks something like this:

say i have a a simple 8 note sequence programmed in whatever basic sequencer (x=gate):

C2 D2 E2 F3 G3
| x - x x | - x x - |

if for example the sequencer has a midi in, i can 'override' the notes with my keyboard. say i hold a F#min7 chord on a keyboard and send it to the sequencer via midi.. the sequencer internally 'quantizes' the sequence (depending on the voicing of my F#min7 of course) to something like

C#2 E2 E2 F#3 A3
| x - x x | - x x - |

or, i just hold down an F# and all the notes in the sequence change to F#.

and then after two bars i play a FMaj7 on the keyboard, sequence changes again, you get the point..

then you let go of everything, and the sequence is back to the original.

now if you mix this with all the randomness that modern sequencers like the fluxus provide you can get some really interesting stuff i think, and in what would ideally be a pretty small package. the unique thing would the option of harmonic 'domestication' that this form of addressing/quantizing can provide.

again, maybe there already is a way of doing this and i've miseed everything.
ugokcen
I think what you want is the SH-101 sequencer. The only module that can do this is I think is Yarns which is actually a midi module. I don't think you'll ever see a euro sequencer with midi/cv conversion built-in because it's an extra cost and not everyone uses midi.

There are non-euro options of course. You might like the Arturia Keystep which spits out CV, or there is this ipad app called midiSTEPs which you could pair up with a eurorack midi module.
brandonlogic
i like the idea of using a midi keyboard to set the quantization of one (or all) of the sequence channels at once. i dont necessarily think that it should return to the original if you take your hands of the keys though. it should hold the quantization until you make another one.
nikbee
ugokcen wrote:
I think what you want is the SH-101 sequencer. The only module that can do this is I think is Yarns which is actually a midi module. I don't think you'll ever see a euro sequencer with midi/cv conversion built-in because it's an extra cost and not everyone uses midi.

There are non-euro options of course. You might like the Arturia Keystep which spits out CV, or there is this ipad app called midiSTEPs which you could pair up with a eurorack midi module.

based on the description, this already has midi-to-cv conversion. and cv-to-midi as well.

i assume adding the functionality like the one i described would be a firmware issue.
nikbee
brandonlogic wrote:
i like the idea of using a midi keyboard to set the quantization of one (or all) of the sequence channels at once. i dont necessarily think that it should return to the original if you take your hands of the keys though. it should hold the quantization until you make another one.

me too, i think it would be quite revolutionary if one wants to play long and complex progressions.. like if i wanted to do a fucked up version of a dave holland song, and have a squirmy sequencer firing away, in key, and sometimes not, playing over the chord changes.. you could have your euro system interpret, quite awesomely i would think, some songs.

returning to the originial should be optional of course..

i think there can be 'note addressing' functions inside the sequencer.

one would be a 'note thru' function that simply plays whatever one is playing on a keyboard or whatever

the other would be a 'note quantize', which would quantize notes that have already been programmed into the sequencer to whatever is being sent to it via midi.

edit: and then imagine this with the ability to add per step arpeggiation, gate length, probability ratios(?), etc...

i can't help but think that sequencers are still in a pre-modern stage harmonically.. you either have really chaotic shit, which is great of course, or really simple scale quantization.. of course one can write complex progressions with an insane amount of work and money and with multiple quantizers etc.. but a sequencer that can do all this, contained in one module would be really special.
windspirit
Theres always a chance that if you ask for it they will add it as a feature.
ugokcen
Quote:
based on the description, this already has midi-to-cv conversion. and cv-to-midi as well.

Wait, I completely missed that. I thought the midi port was just for clocking. Can the developer confirm what the midi capabilities are?
windspirit
I think the midi functionality is still in developement but if the module can receive clock then it has the hardware to handle all of the other midi messages out there.
mokomo
It's open source teensyduino ... so I'd expect you could do whatever you like with it if you can program well enough. Or at least Zeta Ohm will have a lot of flexibility in what they do with the firmware going forward
Will depend on how friendly the code is to interpret if you want to deeply integrate midi note data.

If it wasn't for the crazy buttons I'd give this 11/10!
nikbee
windspirit wrote:
Theres always a chance that if you ask for it they will add it as a feature.

im hoping all this blabbery will do just that cool

i know i keep repeating myself and i apologize, but i really think this would be pretty life changing. in modular synthesis it is is easy to make modal music, but if you don't.. like, it is really hard, on a harmonic level, to make music on a modular that isn't a glorified wind chime.

a sequencer that can respond in (close to) real time to chord changes would be really incredible, and i think totally unique.

i think this is the first sequencer i have seen that has everything it needs to implement this feature.
mokomo

this video pushed me over the line - it looks very strong as a compact modulation core with a powerfully configurable 20v swing dac and smooth curves.
I'm less looking for a straightforward gate pattern sequencer than I am a cv/envelope sequencer and this seems a great combination of both. Sort of a 8xControl Forge (but it is actually a sequencer) seems to be possible with it. Hopefully the arp available per step will also include user-stored envelope/lfo/custom-sequences/phrases.

intrigued as to how much further control is available when using the 4 cv and 4 gate inputs and the permutations available with other sources driving it.
ugokcen
At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'm going to say you are kinda missing the point of going modular. It's good to get away from the keyboard once in a while, even if you are a trained pianist. Different sequencers make you think differently about rhythm and melody. I've done things on Rene that I would never come up with on a keyboard (totally melodic by the way, not bleeps and bloops). So what I look for in a sequencer is a fresh interface, not what I can already do with a DAW.

A classic example would be the TB-303. Trying to play those basslines on a keyboard, or inputting them with a mouse on a piano roll is next to impossible, let alone frustrating. But that weird sequencer Roland put on there gave rise to a whole new genre of music.
nikbee
ugokcen wrote:
At the risk of sounding pretentious, I'm going to say you are kinda missing the point of going modular. It's good to get away from the keyboard once in a while, even if you are a trained pianist. Different sequencers make you think differently about rhythm and melody. I've done things on Rene that I would never come up with on a keyboard (totally melodic by the way, not bleeps and bloops). So what I look for in a sequencer is a fresh interface, not what I can already do with a DAW.

A classic example would be the TB-303. Trying to play those basslines on a keyboard, or inputting them with a mouse on a piano roll is next to impossible, let alone frustrating. But that weird sequencer Roland put on there gave rise to a whole new genre of music.

not pretentious, but missing the point. i agree with everything you said, and i like to get away from the keyboard, and do, all the time. i dont always want this particular function, but when i do, i cant do it because i dont think it exists.

an x0x sequencer to me isnt just a quirky little machine, it is a form of life! seriously, i am obsessed with it.. no human could every reproduce that particular type of funk. BUT, it is harmonically 'dumb'. it cannot respond in real time to changes, harmonic drift, etc..

again, sometimes i write music with changes and melodies and all that.. probably most of the time i dont. but when i DO, modular is like the person in the band who never took basic music theory lessons.

that's why i want this in a sequencer. because sequencers do things that humans cant, or wouldnt, or whatever.

i understand your point, and now it is my turn to be pretentious, but i think a lot of the music made with modulars is rather infantile harmonically. again, expensive wind chimes.. algorithmic/generative music is philosophically really uninteresting to me (im being generous cool ). it CAN be used, but again, there should be a space, in modulars, between completely aleatoric processes and rotating-sushi-bar quantization.
mokomo
found another one of an older prototype
VanEck
this may have been answered already, but is there any way to change the clock per channel? being able to clock divide each channel differently on the SH mkII is one of my favorite features. would love to see the ability to do that on the flxs1 as well.
brandonlogic
VanEck wrote:
this may have been answered already, but is there any way to change the clock per channel? being able to clock divide each channel differently on the SH mkII is one of my favorite features. would love to see the ability to do that on the flxs1 as well.

havnt heard about internal clock division/mult but I do love that the gate inputs can be set so each sequence channel has its own clock input! so you can do your clocking externally for each channel (pams workout will be great with it). that was one of the main selling points on this for me!

Quote:
4 Assignable Gate Inputs

Per-channel clock input (4-32ppq)
Pattern advance / select (with CV input)
Arp / glide / random enable
geremyf
I am considering pledging because I am in a panic about what to do with my Er-301 and my upcoming e370. I have a couple of miscellaneous questions.

1. I'm a bit wary of one encoder to enter all the note values. It's more fun to enter multiple notes simultaneously. I believe I see from the videos that on the screen the 16 note values can be displayed at once. Can notes be edited from this screen as well or will we have to enter the individual step screen to change each note value?

2. There is some mention of an X-Y clock mode similar to Rene's Cartesian mode but i don't see this explicitly demoed. Is this a definite?

3. I understand that there are four independent cv-gate channels and that they can do everything independently, but is there an explicit poly mode where I can control the 4 channels from one main pattern? Is it configurable for 1&3 and 2&2 voices as well?

4. How configurable is the midi interface? I have tentatively planned to purchase an expert sleepers fh-1. Are the more basic modes of the Fh-1 covered by the built-in midi interface? Is the USB port capable of hosting keyboards or controllers?

5. Will there be an external dedicated app to control via midi or will we just be using sysex librarian?

Thanks! This looks pretty promising. I had kind of planned on a teletype with expanders but this looks friendlier.

Aesthetically I don't mind the funky buttons but I'd prefer a regular silver panel to match the rest of my rig. I doubt I'll be able to get one from grayscale with those button shapes!
wanne
hi !
why the big shipping amount outside the US ?
i really want to order one but 45$ for shipping looks a bit expensive to me !?
i guess there will be also a nice invoice inside the pack so an extra amount of taxes is a shure thing Dead Banana
akrylik
wanne wrote:
hi !
i guess there will be also a nice invoice inside the pack so an extra amount of taxes is a shure thing Dead Banana

What are you talking about? That is a great price for shipping outside of the US. Usually its much higher.
mokomo
geremyf wrote:

2. There is some mention of an X-Y clock mode similar to Rene's Cartesian mode but i don't see this explicitly demoed. Is this a definite?

mentioned at 5:42

wanne
akrylik wrote:
wanne wrote:
hi !

What are you talking about? That is a great price for shipping outside of the US. Usually its much higher.

much higher ?? for what ?
a 10 kilo synth or a 250gr. eurorack module d'oh!
45$ is alot imo....
akrylik
wanne wrote:
akrylik wrote:
wanne wrote:
hi !

45$ is alot imo....

I've sent many modules of this size and it is definitely not 250g. More like 400g plus 200g for the packing material, so a total of 600g is much more reasonable.

Put 600g and Germany into the USPS postage calculator and you get....$44.30. Surprise!

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=10137&ccode= DE&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=4%2F23%2F2017&m=6&dvi=500&p=1&o=5.1648

d'oh!
windspirit
Yep, people who ship outside the us for less are taking a hit. I should know cuz I usually split the cost of international shipping with the customer so it is more like 20. By the way I dont suggest doing this to anyone reading.
brandonlogic
if just 3 more people kickstart with the early bird special the kickstarter will reach its goal already!
6Human
Nielsen wrote:
6Human wrote:

Yeah, i was thinking about this, too. Does the it have something similar like the Stillson Hammer MK2 random functions?

I shot Tenkai an email. He said probability for gates and ranges for random notes are in the plans. This will also be under CV-control. Not familiar with Stillson Hammer, but I'm guessing Electron style for the gates.

Hard not to compare with the Eloquencer, and I must say I much prefer 4x4 layout, more dense and compact formfactor, right hand rotary knob and slightly larger RBG screen, more CV ins and additional CV outs. Pledged.
VanEck
brandonlogic wrote:
VanEck wrote:

havnt heard about internal clock division/mult but I do love that the gate inputs can be set so each sequence channel has its own clock input! so you can do your clocking externally for each channel (pams workout will be great with it). that was one of the main selling points on this for me!

Quote:
4 Assignable Gate Inputs

Per-channel clock input (4-32ppq)
Pattern advance / select (with CV input)
Arp / glide / random enable

ahh very nice. that will do!
wanne
akrylik wrote:
wanne wrote:
akrylik wrote:
wanne wrote:
hi !

45$ is alot imo....

I've sent many modules of this size and it is definitely not 250g. More like 400g plus 200g for the packing material, so a total of 600g is much more reasonable.

Put 600g and Germany into the USPS postage calculator and you get....$44.30. Surprise!

https://postcalc.usps.com/Calculator/MailServices?country=10137&ccode= DE&omil=False&dmil=False&mdt=4%2F23%2F2017&m=6&dvi=500&p=1&o=5.1648

d'oh!

by the way... i joined the kickstarter with an early bird nanners
akrylik
wanne wrote:
akrylik wrote:
wanne wrote:
akrylik wrote:
wanne wrote:
hi !

45$ is alot imo....

d'oh!

by the way... i joined the kickstarter with an early bird nanners

Yeah! SlayerBadger!
windspirit
Sold enough stuff to pledge, less than 1k$ to the goal. Looks likely this thing is gonna happen grin
mdoudoroff
Good Superbooth demo via Divkid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StO5eipLBgs

The button shapes still freak me out a little, but this does look pretty well thought out and fun to use.
NoMoreNightmares
mdoudoroff wrote:
Good Superbooth demo via Divkid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StO5eipLBgs

The button shapes still freak me out a little, but this does look pretty well thought out and fun to use.

The one knob for inputs seemed like a total bummer, but it looks manageable after this video.
VanEck
only 2 more module presales needed to hit the goal... w00t
Dark Barn
one
more
module
w00t w00t
windspirit
Four more beers!
le_palace
pbear :( looks like a 6year old watching Transformers chose the buttons.

really impressive feature set and I wish you success!
cheliosheart
I just backed this for the poster, I think that pushes it over!
6Human
w00t
mokomo
the buttons are 'most likely' mounted on conventional switches, so if my uniformity OCD gets the better of me (which it probably will) I can dremel the faceplate into obedience and probably replace with alternatives I can butcher from one of these or bigger

I think I can live with the buttons though, given the feature set which looks uniquely great for such a sized unit. All those control-ins, and CV contours per step!
VanEck
screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo GOAL REACHED! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
mokomo
So there'll be a 8 gate expander it would seem.
8 in, 8 out or 4+4

update on kickstarter about feature suggestions so far and what's ruled in or out.
ugokcen
It's endearing to see him recommend the winter modular eloquencer to people who don't like the buttons. What a nice guy!

I wish I had the cash at the moment to support this, so glad it got funded. I'll probably get one from the second batch.
cosmikwolf
ugokcen wrote:
It's endearing to see him recommend the winter modular eloquencer to people who don't like the buttons. What a nice guy!

Eloi is great. I fully support what he does. We started working on similar ideas around the same time, 3 years ago. We are tuned into the same wavelength, and have manifested different perspectives of that same multidimensional entity. Our products may be similar when using a wide lens, but if you look closely, we have a very different feature set.

I thought I had posted this, but our WiFi in Berlin was spotty. Must have been sacrificed to the data gods.

Here is my update for the kickstarter, addressing many of your questions:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer/posts/1870551

and the text of that update:

Quote:

I have received a number of questions about certain features and plans that I have for the Fluxus One, and I thought it would be good to write up a little post about some of the things that are planned, and clarifying some things I have already said. Send me a message if you are curious about any of the features, and I will help you understand my thought process.

Multi Select Mode - I plan on allowing the user to select multiple steps at once, and set parameters on selected steps simultaneously.

Step Play Mask - I plan to have a mode that will allow you to select the first and last step and loop between them. This will let you play just the steps you want, over and over again so you can get them exactly how you want them.

MIDI to CV converter functionality - Totally possible, not a priority. Maybe later. MIDI port is capable of receiving full MIDI data. If you wrote the firmware for it, the Fluxus One could be a very fast MIDI to 16 bit CV converter + USB MIDI to CV converter, with 8 CV outs, 4 Gate Outs, 4 Gate ins and 4 CV ins. This isn’t really something I want to spend time on at the moment, as one of the ideas of this sequencer is to get you away from your computer. Someone else who is familiar with Arduino could totally make this a mode though, and it would not be terribly difficult. Once initial development on this module is complete, this is something I will consider adding on.

Open Source / Github access - Source is on github, but currently private. I have not worked out what license I want to use. Planning on figuring that out in the next few weeks. If you want access to the source, send me a message and I can give you a preview.

Quantize pitch to midi keyboard input - Also totally possible, and sounds kind of cool, and would not be terribly difficult to implement. I’ll have to try this one out. I did have an idea for an arpeggiator mode where you could do something like this. I do have plans to add a mode that allows you to program a sequence with a midi controller, so you don’t need to input the pitch with a knob. I will experiment with this feature, and see how it works.

Randomization and probability - In the works. The Fluxus One already has randomize on gate input as a modulation destination. Other probability functions are planned. Per note chance for gate firing, as well as chance that the pitch will change and by what range. Probability for Gates, as well as pitch with range is something I would like to do.

Alternative buttons - I have no plans to make an alternative front panel or buttons at this time. Alternate buttons can be made by hand, if desired. Access to a common 3d printer and silicone casting equipment is needed. This could be accomplished in a small workshop setting. Contact me if this is something you are interested in, and I can give you more specifics, including the exact drawings required for such a task. If this is a deal breaker for you, Winter Modular has a great product called the Eloquencer which I greatly admire. Go check it out.

Polyphony - this is definitely something I am thinking about, but getting it right is hard. There are a variety of possibilities for polyphonic sequencing, and I think I have an idea for a simplified poly mode that can be accomplished without too much work. I’d like a true poly mode at some point, but there are so many variables to control. This simplified mode could allow you to do two separate channels of polyphony, one on channel 1+2, the second on channel 3+4.

X-Y Clock mode - This feature works. There is no specific X + Y clock right now, you set the clock source to a gate input, which can be anywhere from 4ppq to 32ppq, and then you can map Y axis to another gate input. When the mapped gate goes high, it advances the Y axis by 4 steps. I have thought about giving you the option of choosing how many steps forward to jump. Perhaps you have a gate input that just advances one step? three? five?

Internal Modulation - All destinations (all CV and gate outputs) have a corresponding internal digital signal, which you will be able to use as sources for the modulation destinations. This means you will be able to create a patch internally in the Fluxus One, allowing for many more dimensions of pattern control with fewer patch cables.

USB MIDI connectivity for USB keyboards and controllers - This is a desired feature, but the code for USB host mode is complex. This is a maybe. I can’t guarantee that this will work properly with all USB MIDI hardware.

Sysex downloading -No special app will be made available. Sysex librarian is a good one, also MIDI-OX for windoze.

International Shipping Cost - Sorry, but that is what it costs me! Big companies get big discounts for international shipping. I am as small as it gets, and only small discounts for shipping.

Clocking per channel - Planned feature, doesn’t work yet. I would like you to be able to have gate clock inputs for each of the 4 channels, so you can clock each sequence separately, with a separate external clock source. This will work great with the 8 Gate I/O expander module that is planned (yes, 8 additional gate inputs, or outputs? 4 + 4? either or? both? you tell me!)

Performance Capabilities - I have an ableton style trigger mode that I have planned, which will show you 4 patterns at a time, for each of the 4 channels, accessible on the button matrix. In this mode, the channel buttons will provide you with an algorithmic increase in gate outputs, with the ability to increase speed for or shut off the algorithm, to help to create a buildup before switching patterns.
Dark Barn
I'm in for the expansion too if I get along with the Fluxus like I plan to. Do you plan to finance it the same way?
Digital Larry
nikbee wrote:
in modular synthesis it is is easy to make modal music, but if you don't.. like, it is really hard, on a harmonic level, to make music on a modular that isn't a glorified wind chime.

nanners applause

I'm still growing into modular "composition". I retrieved my Sony Mini-Disc (remember those) from the shelf of doom and have it set so I can easily record something spontaneously from the modular.

So far, I have had difficulty coming back to something I had done earlier, but at least this way I can capture bits and pieces of stuff that might be assembled into something else later (or not).
[/quote]
mokomo
cosmikwolf wrote:

Quote:

Clocking per channel - Planned feature, doesn’t work yet. I would like you to be able to have gate clock inputs for each of the 4 channels, so you can clock each sequence separately, with a separate external clock source. This will work great with the 8 Gate I/O expander module that is planned (yes, 8 additional gate inputs, or outputs? 4 + 4? either or? both? you tell me!)

Would extra outputs involve additional gate tracks or that events on the existing tracks can be assigned to a particular expander output?
Fiddlestickz
can I play notes in via midi and it record them and loop..?
cosmikwolf
Fiddlestickz wrote:
can I play notes in via midi and it record them and loop..?

A midi recording feature is planned, yes.
cosmikwolf
mokomo wrote:
cosmikwolf wrote:

Quote:

Would extra outputs involve additional gate tracks or that events on the existing tracks can be assigned to a particular expander output?

I haven't thought that far ahead about the extra outputs. Originally I was just going to make them all inputs, but then I thought that 12 inputs total may be too much, and that additional outputs could be more useful.

Some ideas I have had for additional outputs: Gate output on reset of track, gate output on accent, gate output on end of step (kind of like an envelope follower)

Not sure just yet.
cosmikwolf
Dark Barn wrote:
I'm in for the expansion too if I get along with the Fluxus like I plan to. Do you plan to finance it the same way?

No, the gate expander will be very simple in its circuit design, so it wont be too expensive to build. Depending on the demand, I think I can build these by hand so its a much lower investment.
cosmikwolf
mokomo wrote:
the buttons are 'most likely' mounted on conventional switches, so if my uniformity OCD gets the better of me (which it probably will) I can dremel the faceplate into obedience and probably replace with alternatives I can butcher from one of these or bigger

I think I can live with the buttons though, given the feature set which looks uniquely great for such a sized unit. All those control-ins, and CV contours per step!

they are mounted on tactile dome switches, which are affixed to the midplane with an adhesive sheet.

your talk of dremeling the faceplate is making me cringe! grin

You will not be able to use those square buttons. those are hollow and have a plunger mechaism built in. The buttons I designed are solid and press right down on to the tactile dome.

Speaking of which, just got samples of the manufactured buttons in from the fab. They are looking great!
mokomo
Thanks Tenkai - I could see from one of your videos that they seem to stand up nicely from the faceplate so I expect are quite user friendly to press.

One other comment: I see you are still deciding on the policy regarding the teensy/duino source code which you'd mentioned would be on github.

I'd very much hope that even if it isn't an open source licence (I'm not too familiar with the various models) that it would still be available to owners to view and, if feeling brave, tweak and add to for personal non-commercial use.
One of the big attractions to the Fluxus for me, besides its fine hardware spec, was the potential for users with some Arduino nous to customise the code, and indeed to possibly add software functions.
For example, with the gate expander, to be able to add some logic functions to send out a gate to out port number X if CV on Track 1 rises to exceed a certain level etc.
Given that users will probably have a lot of personal functionality requests, it would be a real strength of the Fluxus that it could be soft-hackable in such a way.
Dark Barn
Neat interview here: http://www.bboytechreport.com/2017/05/04/exclusive-interview-with-tenk ai-kariya-of-zetaohm/

8 days left on the Kickstarter! w00t
cosmikwolf
hey guys, i posted a new demo!

Kickstarter has 8 days left!!! Support now, while you can still get one at a discount!

mokomo wrote:
Thanks Tenkai - I could see from one of your videos that they seem to stand up nicely from the faceplate so I expect are quite user friendly to press.

One other comment: I see you are still deciding on the policy regarding the teensy/duino source code which you'd mentioned would be on github.

I'd very much hope that even if it isn't an open source licence (I'm not too familiar with the various models) that it would still be available to owners to view and, if feeling brave, tweak and add to for personal non-commercial use.
One of the big attractions to the Fluxus for me, besides its fine hardware spec, was the potential for users with some Arduino nous to customise the code, and indeed to possibly add software functions.
For example, with the gate expander, to be able to add some logic functions to send out a gate to out port number X if CV on Track 1 rises to exceed a certain level etc.
Given that users will probably have a lot of personal functionality requests, it would be a real strength of the Fluxus that it could be soft-hackable in such a way.

It will be available as open source. I just have not had time to dive into the license which I will use. Mutable uses the MIT license, but I need to spend a day reading through all of these before I release the code so I know what I am committing to. Whatever license I choose, yes, the source will be fully open.

Once I have made enough $$ to cover development cost (which has probably topped $200k if I include my time spent @ my hourly rate), or when I decide I will stop manufacturing Fluxus One, I will release all schematics and board files, so the open source community could take it from there.

I have learned TONS from open source designs in the past, and I wish to give back to this community so more awesome projects can be developed in the future. I do some pretty innovative things in the code that most people will never see, and I hope some nerd can benefit from this at some point.
fishdog
Just supported the project! It looks great and its exciting you are releasing it open source! I hope when the time comes I'll have some code to contribute, possibilities almost look endless for this development platform! Keep up the great work, and congrats!
Ras Thavas
A question for anyone who might be in the know- what options are there for entering step times of different durations?

I recognize with 64 steps I can probably make some steps legato and blur them into one larger step.

But I was hoping I might be able to enter a step time longer than a 16th note as I'm programming the step, with the confines of that 64 16th notes maximum.
mokomo
Thanks Tenkai.

Great interview on bboy, interesting to understand the seed of elektron-makenoise flavoured inspiration and creativity, and where you want to take the fluxus.

great demo video too, that was pretty quick of you with the new functions. looks very flexible for jamming on while driving a whole rack.

i think the answer is yes, but during the demo using all 4 tracks, you could do all that while feeding a midi sync/clock out to a RYTM (or any other midi device) on a spare output too?
Is there another cv sync available also without using up a sequencer channel?
mirth23
The first time I saw a demo of this module I was blown away. I was looking for a sequencer like this and Rene and Cells didn't quite fit the bill. I just supported the kickstarter and am really excited to get mine!
mirth23
cosmikwolf wrote:
It will be available as open source. I just have not had time to dive into the license which I will use. Mutable uses the MIT license, but I need to spend a day reading through all of these before I release the code so I know what I am committing to. Whatever license I choose, yes, the source will be fully open.

FYI, MIT is basically a maximally permissive license which says that anyone can do whatever they want with the code, including package it into commercial releases, as long as they give credit. GPL is a viral open source license that forces any derived releases to also be released as open source and under the GPL. Lots of good info on open source licenses in general here: https://opensource.org/licenses

Creative Commons is also a newer alternative worth looking at, they provide a clean ontology with a lot of different options: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/
HeWhoWantsJeans
cosmikwolf wrote:
hey guys, i posted a new demo!

For some reason the embedded video isn't playing (it's producing an error code), but watching it directly on YouTube works.

URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97f4ZW2Z7qQ
mokomo
nearly 130% funded with 5 days to go and the last 4 early birds left

time to start shifting things around and find 26hp to reserve somewhere front and centre, and perhaps a bit for the expander - I think the main unit is due to be shipped in July, if I recall correctly.
Precarious
I'm in! Got the early bird special a few days ago. Not a fan of the look but the features are incredible! Looking forward the using that one-shot arpeggio mode. Really hoping entering notes through MIDI becomes a feature.

Getting a taste of all world with this little monster. Was planning on getting WMD Arpitecht but this seems much more useful. Was considering MN Rene but this also does X + Y clock. Probability like Beatstep Pro will be added. And there are assignable gate and CV modulation inputs for each channel! I love the Stillson Hammer mk2 but the mod inputs are completely unpredictable and unstable.

Will keep the Stillson because working with sliders is fun. Maybe I'll be able to use a future upgrade to enter pitch into FLXS1 using Stillson. Lots of experimenting to do.
sloth713
This is super cool, so many features and I totally dig the aesthetic. I just have 2 questions for you cosmikwolf

What made you chose to go with +/-5v for the CV input? I ask because many modules put out +/-10v, that being said attenuation is easy.

And when the CV in goes out of the +/-5v range does it just hard clip?
TommyRaddcliff
spotted in Devine's rack...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT4yhitlkFm/?taken-by=richarddevine
cosmikwolf
sloth713 wrote:
This is super cool, so many features and I totally dig the aesthetic. I just have 2 questions for you cosmikwolf

What made you chose to go with +/-5v for the CV input? I ask because many modules put out +/-10v, that being said attenuation is easy.

And when the CV in goes out of the +/-5v range does it just hard clip?

CV input is hard clamped to ±5v.

I chose ±5v because I am using a built in 12 bit ADC. I am maxing out the microcontroller I am using, so adding a 16 bit ADC would have forced me to make other sacrifices. I would have needed a 16 bit ADC to do a 20v input range.

Ras Thavas wrote:
A question for anyone who might be in the know- what options are there for entering step times of different durations?

I have thought about this. you can achieve this by externally clocking each channel with an irregular clock. My sequencing engine is not really written to support this right now. Once I get an initial release out, I will be spending some time to refactor all my code, so I will think about it then. I want this kind of a feature so I could accomplish a phased sequence - like the ER101 demo grin

mokomo wrote:

i think the answer is yes, but during the demo using all 4 tracks, you could do all that while feeding a midi sync/clock out to a RYTM (or any other midi device) on a spare output too?
Is there another cv sync available also without using up a sequencer channel?

There is a dedicated clock output near the MIDI jacks. It is actually a bidirectional port, but I need to figure out some fancy coding to switch the direction on the fly. that will be a later feature (to change the clock output to an input)

TommyRaddcliff wrote:
spotted in Devine's rack...
https://www.instagram.com/p/BT4yhitlkFm/?taken-by=richarddevine

Richard has been infinitely helpful and supportive in this endeavor. Honestly one of the best beta testers. He somehow has a knack for making it break and finding the little problems that nobody else found grin
mokomo
Given the frontpanel USB may be available for midi io, any chance of some sort of faceplate clamping mechanism aside from the socket itself to secure the USB plug? Looks like a micro USB socket which can loosen over time.

Perhaps a short right angle USB plug extender that could have its cable secured to a faceplate clip, so as to reduce wear & tear on the flxs socket itself?

Loved the masked rhythmic and scale arp ratcheting per step, LFO and envelope per step potential discussed on the fluxwithit YouTube live show!
cosmikwolf
mokomo wrote:
Given the frontpanel USB may be available for midi io, any chance of some sort of faceplate clamping mechanism aside from the socket itself to secure the USB plug? Looks like a micro USB socket which can loosen over time.

The USB port is pretty robust. I dont think it will be that big of a deal. If you wanted to make some sort of supporting mechanism, there is a screw right there you could mount some kind of 3d printed thing to, but I dont think it will be necessary. its why I mounted the jack vertically. so that it doesnt get bent out of shape. It also can wiggle a fair amount without losing connection.

Also wanted to give a heads up, the kickstarter ends tomorrow afternoon!
mokomo
thanks, that's a good option for the USB, but as you say, sounds unnecessary as the port is already robust.

Just a few hours left on the early birds - looking forward to poly-sequencing arps, ratchets, LFOs and envelopes into my E370 (whenever that arrives)
plutino
Pledged! Can't wait to get this in my rack. w00t

I'm curious about the button design. I don't mind them as some have but I also don't quite understand them. Being that this module came out of a distinct vision, can you explain the philosophy behind the button shapes? Do they follow a purposeful pattern?
mokomo
there's a discussion on the buttons in the first half of this, followed by mention of planned functionality and additions.

cosmikwolf
There 4 early bird modules left on discount, and less than 3 hours to go!

This module will be MORE EXPENSIVE when on retail! (maybe more than I have said already - I have learned new things about biz)

mokomo wrote:
thanks, that's a good option for the USB, but as you say, sounds unnecessary as the port is already robust.

What I meant to say last post is that the USB jack is through hole, not SMT. The beatstep pro had SMT pins on its USB connector I believe, which led to damage on the board due to stress. I have to hand solder each one, so Im gonna glob it on there for the support pins, make sure they are nice and supported grin

plutino wrote:
Pledged! Can't wait to get this in my rack. w00t

I'm curious about the button design. I don't mind them as some have but I also don't quite understand them. Being that this module came out of a distinct vision, can you explain the philosophy behind the button shapes? Do they follow a purposeful pattern?

Most simply, the faces are the matrix buttons, the birds are the channel buttons.

The buttons are not something I can really explain in logical sense. They were part of the initial vision. When you have a vision (if it is really a vision that comes from something that is apparently outside of you) you receive information that you don't necessarily understand in a logical sense. The understanding is there, but its not like "oh these buttons mean this". It is more ethereal than that.

Everyone asks me questions about what they mean, and what their purpose is, but its not really up to me. Its up to you. If I were to really explain what they mean to me, it would detract from what they are to you, because I would be defining them on my terms, which I am unable to accurately convey. The module itself is the conveyance of their conceptual nature.

Play with it, and you may understand.
plutino
cosmikwolf wrote:

Most simply, the faces are the matrix buttons, the birds are the channel buttons.

The buttons are not something I can really explain in logical sense. They were part of the initial vision. When you have a vision (if it is really a vision that comes from something that is apparently outside of you) you receive information that you don't necessarily understand in a logical sense. The understanding is there, but its not like "oh these buttons mean this". It is more ethereal than that.

Everyone asks me questions about what they mean, and what their purpose is, but its not really up to me. Its up to you. If I were to really explain what they mean to me, it would detract from what they are to you, because I would be defining them on my terms, which I am unable to accurately convey. The module itself is the conveyance of their conceptual nature.

Play with it, and you may understand.

I can dig that.
Dark Barn
cosmikwolf wrote:

• Pattern advance / select (with CV input)

Congratulations on the successful Kickstarter. I'm very much looking forward to getting my FLXS1.

I have a question about this item from the features list, will there be an option to advance pattern via gate or trigger or is this planned to be CV address only?

Also I'm reading it as this feature allows you to chain sequences, is that correct?
NoobOlar
Has the first round from the Kickstarter campaign shipped?

Any idea if/when there will be a second round opening orders again for the FLXS1 with what estimated delivery date/month?
mokomo
July is the expected shipping. Sounds like it is moreso a job of manufacturing and assembly, coding for the first firmware already looks near 1.0 in the demos, though cosmetic GUI enhancements and quite a few additional great features considered/planned, like step envelopes and midi capabilities, but I'd be surprised to see them day one.
NoobOlar
Ah ok, if July is the expected shipping for the Kickstarter campaign I guess even if they were going to take new orders now they wouldn't be able to ship (a new round of orders) before August/September
mokomo
Could be a good idea Zetaohm makes non- kickstarter backer ordering possible ASAP. The bigger the first batch the better the economies of scale.
cosmikwolf
July is the expected shipping time (probably end of July).

I am currently waiting on QC boards from the manufacturer. These are just pick and placed, so a small team I have here will be doing final assembly in SF. Once the QC round is complete, then I will give the go ahead for final assembly. If everything goes to plan, this should have units out the door before the end of July.

If you still want to pre-order a module for the initial shipment (or order a second one) send me an email: tenkai a-t zetaohm d0t com
0netwo0netwo
can it do the pulse count/gate type thing per step like the Metropolis can??

i know it can do the AUX CV controlling of different parameters like the Metropolis but was just wondering if it could do this as well

also wondering if it can link patterns into a song mode like some sequencers can?

would be awesome if we could get a look at the manual to help us answer some of these questions for ourselves, i mean - if its available Mr. Green
Precarious
0netwo0netwo wrote:
can it do the pulse count/gate type thing per step like the Metropolis can??

i know it can do the AUX CV controlling of different parameters like the Metropolis but was just wondering if it could do this as well

Yes, you can assign the arpeggiator to repeat the same note at whatever clock division you'd like and you can do that per step. According to one of the videos you can set the sustain of an arpeggiated step so it will overlap following steps. I can imagine overlapping steps of different pitches with different divisions to create odd syncopations.

Demo 2 minutes in:

0netwo0netwo wrote:
also wondering if it can link patterns into a song mode like some sequencers can?

would be awesome if we could get a look at the manual to help us answer some of these questions for ourselves, i mean - if its available Mr. Green

One of the buttons on the right is labeled "song" so I'm assuming sequences can be chained but haven't heard any specifics. It could be that "song" just represents a bank of related sequences. Either way it can be added in a later update if users request it.

Considering they will be adding features right up until release I don't expect a manual too far in advance. Then again, it's due to release this month so can't be too far off. hyper
HeWhoWantsJeans
I'm so damn excited for the Fluxus. I've already got ModularGrid setups of how I'm going to re-arrange everything since the Fluxus and the E370 are going to change everything about my systems. thumbs up
0netwo0netwo
thank you, appreciate the response

i was undecided between this and the Eloquencer but I chose the FLXS1 because of the arp ability

every day i read something new or see a new video of a demo the more im convinced i made the right decision
windspirit
HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
I'm so damn excited for the Fluxus. I've already got ModularGrid setups of how I'm going to re-arrange everything since the Fluxus and the E370 are going to change everything about my systems. thumbs up

That is a lusty combination
Precarious
0netwo0netwo wrote:
i was undecided between this and the Eloquencer but I chose the FLXS1 because of the arp ability

Yeah, me too. I love arps. Such a nice way to add movement. Was planning on buying WMD Arpitecht. When I saw what FLXS1 can do I freaked. I can have arp/step, LFO/step, ENV/step? And I can use 4 arps simultaneously? Just too damn cool!

Will pair well with my Stillson Hammer mkII. Eloquencer is really sweet too. Hope to try one out someday.
oneiric.tomb
Are there reverse and pendulum modes too? CV/ gate control of direction?
And a playable way to temporarily shorten sequences like with a xox?

As the pattern steps are referred to as a matrix is there any intertrack modulation? Can you scramble notes between the 4 tracks, or can those four tracks interact with one another in some way?

Sorry if I missed if these things were written about.
I bought of these either way smile
Precarious
oneiric.tomb wrote:
Are there reverse and pendulum modes too? CV/ gate control of direction?
And a playable way to temporarily shorten sequences like with a xox?

Not sure about reverse or pendulum modes but you can CV the y-axis for nonlinear playback. Like have it jump to the next row when it receives a gate.

You can also select a start and end step on the fly just by pressing the pads. That looks very useful not only for performance but also to limit which notes are playing during programming.

oneiric.tomb wrote:
As the pattern steps are referred to as a matrix is there any intertrack modulation? Can you scramble notes between the 4 tracks, or can those four tracks interact with one another in some way?

There are 4 CV and Gate inputs for modulation that can be assigned to any parameter. You could patch between the channels using these but there will be a way to choose modulation sources/destinations internally. Will be able to modulate pitches of any channel by anything else and he's working on adding quantization to keep the random notes in scale.

Remember, you can assign modulation amount and type per step as well so LFO, ENV or whatever. You'll have 4 modulation sources (one from each channel) per step. That's pretty insane.

He gets into this a bit about 39 minutes in, then the internal modulation routings about 56 minutes in:
oneiric.tomb
Quote:
You can also select a start and end step on the fly just by pressing the pads. That looks very useful not only for performance but also to limit which notes are playing during programming.

Yes, totally. I'm spoiled by the Avalon's take on the XoX sequencer, so I almost expect these things.
I can't imagine he couldnt do pendulum and reverse via cv/ or gate, its almost too obvious compared to the crazy ideas he's implementing in this sequencer. I get more excited every day about the flxs1

Im going to email Tenkai about the pendulum modes.

nanners
Precarious
oneiric.tomb wrote:

Yes, totally. I'm spoiled by the Avalon's take on the XoX sequencer, so I almost expect these things.
I can't imagine he couldnt do pendulum and reverse via cv/ or gate, its almost too obvious compared to the crazy ideas he's implementing in this sequencer. I get more excited every day about the flxs1

Im going to email Tenkai about the pendulum modes.

nanners

I'm sure you're correct I just don't recall hearing about those features specifically. Then again, there are so many features it's easy to forget to mention the more obvious ones.

Hey, if you do email him, please ask about swing. That's the one thing missing that I don't get. Wondering if it will swing if I give it a swung clock at least.
Dark Barn
Zetaohm has shown the flxs1 swinging like an udder. See for yourself on Zetaohm Facebook or Instagram. I believe it was said that it swings best on its own internal clock but will work with a swing clock.
Precarious
Dark Barn wrote:
Zetaohm has shown the flxs1 swinging like an udder. See for yourself on Zetaohm Facebook or Instagram. I believe it was said that it swings best on its own internal clock but will work with a swing clock.

Oh, sweet! Thanks for that. Another standard feature not mentioned in any of the specs or YT videos. I don't use FB or Instagram so I missed out.

So looking forward to exploring this monster! Soon, I hope...
mirth23
There was an update on Kickstarter a few days ago. Highlights:
- Production verification units from the manufacturer should be delivered to them sometime this week
- The manufacturer has all needed parts for the first production run and is just waiting on positive test results from ZetaOhm before they pull the trigger
- Lots of awesome-sounding firmware work is in progress:
Quote:
The firmware we demoed at Superbooth did not include things like swing, multi-select, internal modulation or performance shortcuts. We have updated the front panel to include shortcuts on the matrix buttons, so you can do things like increase or decrease the clock divider, trigger a fill, mute or un-mute the gate, pitch CV or velocity CV, reverse the sequence or transpose by 1 step or an octave. A manual is in the works that will go over these features in detail.
Precarious
mirth23 wrote:
There was an update on Kickstarter a few days ago.

EEEEEEEEEEE!

also,

WTF?!?!?! I should be getting notification updates from Kickstarter.
I want my money back! (<--- NOT TRUE! I want my FLXS1!)
Precarious
Looking more like September delivery.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer/posts/1950417

Hey, however long it takes to get things right. thumbs up
deltaphoenix
yeah, these things happen. I am sure that we will get an amazing module at the end of our wait.
Hovercraft
Looks more like October if everything goes perfectly--main board order was just placed and will take 5-6 weeks+shipping to SF+final production+software. Production always takes longer than expected, and it only takes a small issue to hold up the product. As long as things are moving forward, and we're getting updates--I'm good.
fishdog
Yeah, being realistic, I would agree with the October ship date for these. Damn that perfect sized space in my rack staring at me and waiting to be filled...
mokomo
Hi Bump! Tenkai - any news?
Jaypee
What's up with the production?

I'm in for the second batch! Miley Cyrus
Dark Barn
Looks like Zetaohm is attending Knobcon, I expect we will get some news by then.
Hovercraft
Will be stopping by the Zetaohm booth at Knobcon to check out the FLXS1 and chat with Tenkai. I'll post an update here.
mirth23
Hovercraft wrote:
Will be stopping by the Zetaohm booth at Knobcon to check out the FLXS1 and chat with Tenkai. I'll post an update here.

This is fun! nanners This is fun!
steveoath
I hope this will become a production module after the Kickstarter fulfillment.
mirth23
anyone know if Zetaohm was around Knobcon? I know we are riiiiight on the edge of when production should be starting.
Dark Barn
Tenkai posted yesterday that they are back from Knobcon and starting final assembly this week. He said he expects to fulfill all the Kickstarter order by the end of September.
Hovercraft
Had a chance to chat with Tenkai and his brother at Knobcon. There are already some assembled units--it sounded like possibly enough to cover the Kickstarter rewards. The firmware needs some further development, but everything is proceeding. The first production run will have extra units beyond the Kickstarter rewards.

The FLXS1 at Knobcon was stunning--can't wait to receive mine. It's an incredible module.
Tonefloat01
Are these available even if you didn't get in on the Kickstarter??
Hovercraft
Once the kickstarter units have been shipped, it should be available.
void23
I could swear I saw on in action in Colin Bender's latest video.
mirth23
Hovercraft wrote:
Had a chance to chat with Tenkai and his brother at Knobcon. There are already some assembled units--it sounded like possibly enough to cover the Kickstarter rewards. The firmware needs some further development, but everything is proceeding. The first production run will have extra units beyond the Kickstarter rewards.

The FLXS1 at Knobcon was stunning--can't wait to receive mine. It's an incredible module.

exciting times! The Chewbacca Defense
Shwaj
void23 wrote:
I could swear I saw on in action in Colin Bender's latest video.

I definitely saw it in his rack, right above the Eloquencer, but I didn't see any cables plugged into it. The Eloquencer is seeing heavy use though. Would love to see him jam out with the FLXS1.
mirth23
The latest Kickstarter update estimated that the Kickstarter runs of this will be shipping this week!
iatroim
Just got my shipping confirmation email. SlayerBadger!

Tracking doesn't show anything yet though.
Dark Barn
w00t w00t w00t So excited to get down with the FLXS1!
Precarious
iatroim wrote:
Just got my shipping confirmation email. SlayerBadger!

Tracking doesn't show anything yet though.

Woo-hoo! Me too! Pre-shipment which means it's boxed up and they created the label.

Time to clear space in a portable case. I'll be spending time snuggled up with FLXS1 on the couch soon enough.
wanne
in transit ! SlayerBadger! applause applause
Hovercraft
Woohoo—FLXS1 inbound! It may be awhile until we get a manual, so please share your experiences and patches. w00t
Precarious
Due to arrive Tuesday. hyper
CollinRussell
Congrats Tenkai!
Multi Grooves
Can we get some feedback on inputting gates/pitch? Is it all done via that one knob?
Precarious
Received mine today. Looks great! Features I've tried so far work great.

Unfortunately, every time I get rolling creating a sequence it freezes up. At first it continues to run with controls locked up, then eventually freezes on a note and I have to shut down.

Only seems to happen once I've got something relatively complex running, like 3 channels with arpeggios, envelopes, etc. At first I assumed it was the power supply in the case since I've noticed timing discrepancies in other modules, but it does the same in my Tiptop Mantis case which has a very stable, clean power supply.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have direct contact for Tenkai? I messaged through Kickstarter but no email available at the Zetaohm site.

It's a really crazy machine. I'm getting great patterns out of it but haven't been able to save anything due to it locking up.
Precarious
Ok, heard back from Tenkai through Kickstarter and what he suggested seems to have done the trick. It was freezing in under 20 minutes of use and this happened at least 10 times. It's now been running for hours with no issues so give this a shot if it happens to you.

This was his advice:
"You may want to try to initialize all 4 patterns before getting started with a sequence. To do this, for each channel, hold the channel button, and then press the stop button twice. This clears the channel. You can also do this for all 4 channels at the same time. If this works, let me know and I will have further instructions."

Expect firmware updates before too long. You'll need a microUSB cable to install them.

I also have to say I'm already in love with this thing! It is the game changer I hoped it would be. Even with this initial glitch it has surpassed my expectations as far as the features go. I was initially worried programming notes using a knob would kill the mood for me but I'm actually digging it. It's making me think a little differently and so I'm coming up with things I wouldn't have before.

The layout is very smart. So easy to jump between tracks to mold them to fit against each other within the groove. I really love the complexity I'm getting from it right out of the gate even without a manual (though I have watched all the demo videos).

Using the second CV out of each channel for envelopes and LFOs is so powerful!

I'll post some simple demo videos tomorrow. thumbs up
deltaphoenix
Precarious, thanks for the review and the workaround for the issue have been experiencing. I will be checking-in today looking for a demo video.

Mine arrives tomorrow, so stoked!
cosmikwolf
Hi everybody! Tenkai here!

Its great seeing everyone get their hands on Fluxus One. Almost all the modules have been shipped out, if you got in on the kickstarter.

If you missed the kickstarter, I will have a few more modules available at the end of October / early November and then hopefully more in December, in time for Christmas.

If you wish to order one, the price is $699 + $15 shipping for USA and $45-55 shipping for international. If you want to get on the waitlist, send me an email at tenkai at zetaohm dot com. (I don't check muffs super often)

Lastly, there are bound to be software bugs found. The most frustrating of which freeze up the sequencer. I just had a music gig in SF on Friday (right after I dropped off the sequencers at the post office smile and then a wedding yesterday, and now we are about to fly to NYC to stay with my parents so we can be at Machines in Music next weekend.

While I am in NY, I will be working on the manual so folks who have the module can see all the little tricks that are involved. After the manual has a good enough first release, its back to software town. I have many fixes which I am already aware need to be implemented, and I will undoubtedly find new things which need to be addressed as more folks start using the device. The software is still most definitely beta. I ran across a nasty bug in the middle of my set on Friday. I want this thing ROCK SOLID, so rest assured that all these little things will be addressed over time. I am also going to be going through and doing some major refactoring of the code, which is very much needed as I have been adding new features without restructuring the code base for some time. This will likely fix some of the issues that exist, as well as introduce some new ones, but thats what iteration is all about. I will be offering beta software to anyone who wishes to participate in testing (especially to those who have done beta testing in the past).

This is a very exciting time. This is also a brand new business and I am learning many things about how to run things as I go, so patience is greatly appreciated! But if you are having issues with your sequencer, please feel free to send me an email and I will try to reply as soon as I can!

T
Precarious
A couple quick experiments here as I feel my way around. All 3 use the same components. 10 modules total.

1. x0x Heart base
(CH:1 pitch CV and gate, CH:3 gate into accent)
2. Noise Engineering - Ataraxic Translatron through a VCA for some gritty 8-bit percussion
(CH:3 CVb envelopes controlling VCA)
3. Doepfer A-110-2 VCO sawtooth through Limaflo - Motomouth Formant Filter then VCA
(CH:2 pitch CV, CVb ENV/LFOs to filter, gate controlling VCA which is why it's clicky)
4. Square wave from the same A-110-2 through Fitzgreyve - Polymoog Resonators then Laurentide VG2 Dual Vactrol
(CH:2 CH:2 pitch CV, CH:1 CVb sending trig/ENV/SH to vactrol gate)

I'm only using 3 channels of FLXS1, and not even all the outs, to control 4 elements. The square wave bass randomness and some percussion variation are due to use of sample hold LFO which is really handy! All the ENVs and LFOs come from FLXS1!

I manually mute/unmute CH:2 CVb to the filter. I haven't figured out how to mute entire channels yet, just the individual gate/CVa/CVb of each so I'm plugging in and out of the mixer instead.

I'm sad to say even after starting clean initializing the tracks it still froze up occasionally. Not nearly as often as before but as Tenkai said clearly some work to be done on the firmware. That's understandable with the insane number of features in this thing. It will be worth the wait!
mokomo
Thanks for putting the vid together. Looking forward to my arrival which is sitting with customs in the U.K. and installing this little avant garde monster to brighten up my rack.
I think I'm going to need to finish off soldering my DIY mixer now that I'm going to be able to drive so many modules at once.
fishdog
Got mine last night! And, the hole in my rack is complete!

Quick little patch I threw together last night with it!

https://youtu.be/vZ0khTXzn0g
Precarious
fishdog wrote:
Got mine last night! And, the hole in my rack is complete!

Quick little patch I threw together last night with it!

Nice! Isn't it awesome? Any freezing so far?
(embedded your video above)
fishdog
Thanks Precarious,

So far in my experiments last night I had no issues! I'm sure once I start fully utilizing it I will start to see some bugs pop up...I would like to get in on these beta firmwares though, and start learning the codebase behind this little beast hehe
mirth23
I got mine today and had fun playing around with it for a couple hours. I got some basic little 4 channel melodies going and futzed around with the arp and lfo config. The FLXS1 is amazingly capable and is way more gorgeous in person than videos I've seen online.

I am looking forward to the manual because I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out a thing or three. For example, does anyone know how to get out of the multi-select mode once you're in it? I seem to get kind of hung up once I'm in it. I may be a little confused about how the shift button works in general.
Dark Barn
Question for anyone who has been getting to know their FLXS1.

In the Global Tempo menu, on the External Clock page, the options for external clock are; gate 1, gate 2, gate 3, gate 4, and clock input. Does the clock output also function as a clock input in this case? Has anyone been able to get this to work?

I only got to play with mine for a little while yesterday, but wow! Very interesting possibilities with this one. Here’s to a manual or even just a little quick start guide! w00t Guinness ftw!
rbwduece
Dark Barn wrote:
Question for anyone who has been getting to know their FLXS1.

In the Global Tempo menu, on the External Clock page, the options for external clock are; gate 1, gate 2, gate 3, gate 4, and clock input. Does the clock output also function as a clock input in this case? Has anyone been able to get this to work?

I only got to play with mine for a little while yesterday, but wow! Very interesting possibilities with this one. Here’s to a manual or even just a little quick start guide! w00t Guinness ftw!

I'm assuming that, yes, the clock input can be internally routed to serve as a clock input. However, when I try it, it doesn't pick up an external clock source. Perhaps that's something that's still in the works? I have a question as well and I may be missing something obvious here but, how do I copy a sequence from one channel to another channel? I've been trying a ton of button hold combinations with the "play/copy" button and "rec/paste" but to no avail. It would be a real time save if I could copy a sequence from one channel to another, then make slight changes for variation. While I'm on the whole copy/paste topic, how do I copy a sequence from page to the next?
rbwduece
mirth23 wrote:
I got mine today and had fun playing around with it for a couple hours. I got some basic little 4 channel melodies going and futzed around with the arp and lfo config. The FLXS1 is amazingly capable and is way more gorgeous in person than videos I've seen online.

I am looking forward to the manual because I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out a thing or three. For example, does anyone know how to get out of the multi-select mode once you're in it? I seem to get kind of hung up once I'm in it. I may be a little confused about how the shift button works in general.

Yeah, I can't seem to get out of Multi-Select, either. If you figure it out, let me know.
VanEck
rbwduece wrote:
While I'm on the whole copy/paste topic, how do I copy a sequence from page to the next?

Was also curious how to achieve this. When hitting shift and play (copy), it seemed to take me to a CV input monitoring menu and stopped the sequence.
brandonlogic
VanEck wrote:
rbwduece wrote:
While I'm on the whole copy/paste topic, how do I copy a sequence from page to the next?

Was also curious how to achieve this. When hitting shift and play (copy), it seemed to take me to a CV input monitoring menu and stopped the sequence.

i would also love the ability to copy a single step to another step. multi select is a great feature, but to be able to copy and past single steps would be aweomse too... if it can do this already please let me know how!

rbwduece wrote:
mirth23 wrote:

Yeah, I can't seem to get out of Multi-Select, either. If you figure it out, let me know.

i just tried this, it seems if you use the tempo button to back out it stays in multi select, but if you use pattern button it gets out of Multi-Select properly
brandonlogic
also, i wanted to report i froze mine up too, just one 32 step sequence, had a couple overlapping arpeggios and froze up as i was making arp settings changes.
mirth23
brandonlogic wrote:
rbwduece wrote:
mirth23 wrote:

i just tried this, it seems if you use the tempo button to back out it stays in multi select, but if you use pattern button it gets out of Multi-Select properly

I emailed Tenkai about this and he says to press pattern twice to get out of the mode, but that they are also working out some bugs with multiselect.
brandonlogic
firmware update that should help with freezing:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer/posts/2013403
wanne
amazing module so far applause applause
took only one week to arrive here in germany SlayerBadger!

but how the hell can i access the functions in the golden letters on the buttons hmmm..... d'oh!
mirth23
wanne wrote:
amazing module so far applause applause
took only one week to arrive here in germany SlayerBadger!

but how the hell can i access the functions in the golden letters on the buttons hmmm..... d'oh!

from Tenkai on that: "The gold text isn’t completed yet. Those are channel specific functions. You can test out Mute, which works."
ElCampesino
Got mine two days ago and managed to give it a good run all day yesterday.

Impression so far is that this thing has some awesome capabilities, but a lot of stuff is still not well enough implemented in my opinion. Envelopes and LFOs most notably. Big potential, but the way those are dialed in now is a bit tedeous and unintelligible. I also have an Audio Damage Sequencer 1, and I really hope Tenkai will take inspiration from the way they implemented their LFO section. Allowing for example to span the LFO cycle to a certain amount of steps, to determine if it only outputs positive voltage. negative or both, to change the phase of the LFO and to add randomization. To name a few.

Tenkai emphasised in one of his posts that firmware is beta and will get a thorough rewrite. I can't wait for that to happen. hyper

Until then, Sequencer 1 will stay in my performance case. But I'm really looking forward to replace that with my FLXS1 at full power!
brandonlogic
ElCampesino wrote:
Got mine two days ago and managed to give it a good run all day yesterday.

Impression so far is that this thing has some awesome capabilities, but a lot of stuff is still not well enough implemented in my opinion. Envelopes and LFOs most notably. Big potential, but the way those are dialed in now is a bit tedeous and unintelligible. I also have an Audio Damage Sequencer 1, and I really hope Tenkai will take inspiration from the way they implemented their LFO section. Allowing for example to span the LFO cycle to a certain amount of steps, to determine if it only outputs positive voltage. negative or both, to change the phase of the LFO and to add randomization. To name a few.

Tenkai emphasised in one of his posts that firmware is beta and will get a thorough rewrite. I can't wait for that to happen. hyper

Until then, Sequencer 1 will stay in my performance case. But I'm really looking forward to replace that with my FLXS1 at full power!

I havnt used the AD sequencer 1 but those sound like good suggestions you mentioned... single LFO running through multiple steps, LFO offset, and randomization of lfo settings. Did you message him direct with these suggestions?
ElCampesino
Yeah, I will give him a full list of suggestions.
Multi Grooves
Assuming the CV INs work, how have owners been using these?
tross
Mine is stucked on customs. eek! Don't have anything now, only Beatstep Pro so its a little frustrating.
lrclazer
Still early on with this module, but really love the user experience and potential here.

Based on limiting testing it also looks like MIDI sync is not there yet. Anyone else try this?
miles_macquarrie
lrclazer wrote:
Still early on with this module, but really love the user experience and potential here.

Based on limiting testing it also looks like MIDI sync is not there yet. Anyone else try this?

You are correct, it does not seem to be working yet. I tried to sync to MPC live with no luck.
Chartreuse-J
Great module, all in all a pretty damn good sequencer, can't wait for future updates! hyper

Anyone find that when clocking GT2 the module locks up.

GT1 works but GT2 and GT3 seem to lock up the module when multiple sequences are initiated in all 4 groups.

Using Yarns to transmit clock FYI.
Dark Barn
I’ve also had issues using other inputs besides gate 1 for external master clock. Would like to see it fixed of course, but gate 1 is working fine.
Chartreuse-J
Made a vid here..

Just ran the output from the TAI-4 direct into the GoPro, so it sounds good but could use some EQing.

All sequenced by FLXS1, Sound source Subcon Vampire Model 52 and Model 53 Voicetail, routed to Intellijel Rainmaker, Cwejman SPH-2, then Eventide Space "Sift Plate" algorithm, Back into Vermona Tai-4 then direct into the GoPro for recording.
orenman
oooohhhhhhh
cosmikwolf
hello there..

MIDI input for clock sync should be working (albeit with a bug, its off by 1 clock cycle - this is fixed in the next update)

Also, for the freezing when using GT2,GT3,GT4, this is the first I am hearing of this.

please make sure you are on the latest firmware version (your boot screen should say v 16d ) and see if you can reproduce the issue.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer/posts/2013403

It could have been a coincidence that the freezing was happening on GT2,3,4 inputs. Also, you guys are right about the 'clock' port working as an input (its NOT working yet smile

Rest assured, I am working on it. Right now I am trying to get a bunch more units delivered to me, so folks who haven't gotten units can have a chance to! (they will be at retailers in nov or dec)

If you still have any problems, you can contact me via email: tenkai AT zetaohm DOT com. (also if you want in on the growing waitlist)

making tiny computers is hard work smile

T
Multi Grooves
I have an Elektron machine drum and am trying to tie it in with a little more sophistication than just dedicating an audio o/p and deriving a CV to drive the modular. My uselessness with midi doesn't help either.
I really want to use the Elektron's transport controls for play/stop so shits sync'd.

Has anyone done this with the Zeta?
behndy
i just did sort of the opposite, hooked up the Pam's to start/stop/tempo sync my Digitakt and the FLXS. works greeeeeeeeeeeeeeat.

loving this sequencer. so. BEAUTIFUL.

some questions though -

01) when i set it to external tempo sync, it forgets that on startup. is there a way to make that the default?

02) it starts into a blank pattern, not the last one i was using. any way to change that?

03) lol. if i go into Multimode i can NOT get out unless i shut down and restart. murp?

04) i remember most of the Shift functions aren't implemented yet. when i held shift and hit Play i went into a calibration menu. that's normal?

EDIT TO 01) so, it seems to save the Tempo sync and gate settings in each pattern? is there a way to set a global default?

EDIT also, 04) when i click Pattern then select say the 2nd pad, it changes to the 2nd pattern, but it also turns on the 2nd pad. is there a better way to switch patterns?

thanks for making such a creatively pimpy box Tenkai!
mokomo
finally got mine through customs!

After a quick play using just two channels for cv into a braids I can already tell it is going to be a great centrepiece creative sequencer. Lots yet to implement but really liking the interface.

Though I had my doubts before actually getting the unit, the shaped buttons are very nicely made, look great and are very good to press. I now totally understand Tenkai's passion for them.

Looking forward to software development progressing as the potential for the flxs1 is huge given the very nice hardware and the sequencing philosophy Tenkai has already talked about.
tross
Spanish customs is a nightmare. Still waiting for the unit. Is there any chance on getting manual soon?
mokomo
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer/posts/2014646
tross
mokomo wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/736306985/zetaohm-fluxus-one-volt age-sequencer/posts/2014646

Oh, thank you! hihi
wanne
heyo !

any hints on when an new fw update is cming out ?
meh
0netwo0netwo
i believe he is currently busy working on getting more out into the world first

hopefully well get a lil taste of something more before the end of the year though

thumbs up
fishdog
I really hope the firmware gets released open source as he was originally talking about too...get some community driven development for this massive beast smile
0netwo0netwo
im starting to get worried that we havent heard from him in a while, imma check in with him again tomorrow
windspirit
As one of Zetaohms beta testers I can confirm that Tenkai is plugging away on updates to the firmware.
0netwo0netwo
cool, thought he was kidnapped by some russian spies or something

do you think we all might be getting some cool christmas presents from him before the year is up??

w00t
tross
Thats great. Also waiting.
Matos
I have one on the the way and after reading the manual a few times I have a question. Is something like elektrons triggerless triggers possible? So steps that can change the lfo’s and envelopes but without triggering a new note? It seems like you can turn off the gate so it wouldn’t fire your vca.
Dark Barn
Matos wrote:
I have one on the the way and after reading the manual a few times I have a question. Is something like elektrons triggerless triggers possible? So steps that can change the lfo’s and envelopes but without triggering a new note? It seems like you can turn off the gate so it wouldn’t fire your vca.

Without being at mine to test I think you can do this only on the 4 CVb outputs. The quantized outputs (CVa) are tied to the gates iirc.
windspirit
I think under there is a menu option for tie/ rest which does this for the main quantized output as well actually. Maybe under 'type'? Not sure.

Cant make any promises as to when the new firmware will be released, sorry!
Matos
Thanks. Really excited to explore this one. It seems quirky in the best way.
brandonlogic
Has anyone found an easy way to switch patterns live? It seems changing to the next pattern is only time quantized to a single step. This makes hard and impractical for live use of changing patterns. I know Ten is working hard on the firmware and will have some kind of perrformance mode, but does anyone have any tips on changing patterns where the firmwares at now? I really want to use this sequencer live. Maybe be able to set one track as the master track and the pattern dosent change until the master track seqence plays through.

A performance mode where you can change patterns on each track individually would be the ultimate performance mode.

Also, eventually, it will be key to be able to copy and past an entire sequence from one track to another AND from one pattern to another
mokomo
Hey Tenkai, any update on the firmware? Using v 16d from Oct 2017 - and enjoying it as my regular main hardware seq - but wondering what the development status is given the huge potential of the module or if there is going to be more exposure of the source for tinkerers ?

thanks
wanne
mokomo wrote:
Hey Tenkai, any update on the firmware? Using v 16d from Oct 2017 - and enjoying it as my regular main hardware seq - but wondering what the development status is given the huge potential of the module or if there is going to be more exposure of the source for tinkerers ?

thanks

i second that !
Hovercraft
Update from Tenkai--

##############################################

Hello Fluxus One Owners!

2017 was a tough one, but we made it through! 2018 is bringing some new and exciting things for Zetaohm. I have created this new email list to keep in contact with all of you who own a Fluxus One Voltage Sequencer.

First off, here are a few updates about Zetaohm and Fluxus One:
The second wave of modules is hitting stores this month! Soon Fluxus One will be available at Control in NYC, Analogue Haven in Santa Monica and 3 Wave Music in New Jersey.
We have shipped over 100 modules to customers. FLXS1 is out in the wild!
Zetaohm now has customers in over 10 countries around the world. We love our international business!
A new software update is available on our website to download today!

Software Update beta17i
beta17i brings a number of new features, and fixes a few bugs. The full change list is on our website.
Copy and Paste for steps
Hold step + rec to copy, hold step + play to paste, hold step + stop to clear
Copy and Paste for channels
Same as step copy, but press ch button instead of step button
Fixed a few issues with envelopes which caused the sequencer to crash
External clocking is much more reliable, especially with strange timings
External MIDI clock sync should behave much better than before
Channel Mutes (Gate, CVA and CVB) work now
Implemented song position pointer reset (especially useful when using FLXS1 to record with Ableton)
Added pendulum mode

Firmware download and installation instructions are available on our website in the Downloads tab. The manual still needs to be updated to reflect the update, that will be coming in the next few weeks.

Future Firmware Updates:
There are many, many more things I am still working on for future updates. Some features you can expect for the next few updates include:
Implement all of the front panel shortcuts
Custom scales for quantization
Expanded microtonal scale quantization options
Additional CV input modulations
Additional Gate input modulations
Additional Arpeggio directions
More intuitive LFO + ENV menu options
Multiselect will be fixed
Destructive randomization of sequence data
Song Mode (to chain patterns)
Performance Mode

FLXS1 Support in January:
Zetaohm will be in Japan until 1/24 to work on a gallery opening in Tokyo. During this time support requests may be delayed a bit due to the time difference. If you have any issues, you can always open a ticket at zetaohm.com/support. Having a ticket helps us keep track of open issues and to make sure we reach a resolution in a timely manner. During our time in Japan, we will be checking in at least once per day, so please don't hesitate to submit your support request if you are having problems.

If you are in the Tokyo area, send us a note! We would be happy to invite you to our Gallery show smile

Stay tuned!
Tenkai + Sarah
mokomo
Great update, thanks! lots in the release notes.
Best of luck in Japan.
fishdog
I'm very curious about what this pendulum mode entails...now only if work ended sooner to install the update...hah I cant wait to play
Hovercraft
fishdog wrote:
I'm very curious about what this pendulum mode entails...now only if work ended sooner to install the update...hah I cant wait to play

Pendulum mode sets the sequence to run forwards and backwards--instead of forward only.
fishdog
Ahhhh makes sense haha thanks!
tross
"Implemented song position pointer reset (especially useful when using FLXS1 to record with Ableton)"

Tried, but not working in Ableton with synch trough midi

Also would be nice to add another "down" algorithm to arp. Now it goes from higher interval note to lower. It would be cool to go down the main note to the lower note, the same interval. As well as octave for arp to choose not only up, but dow as well.
Ptbarnum
Hi, just picked one of these up and it’s got the latest beta loaded..just want to make sure I’m not missing something, has per channel clock/gate in been implemented yet? I seem to only be able to get gate ins working globally. I Swear I searched the whole thread. Thanks!
windspirit
You can always just set the 'skip' parameter to 1 and set each channels skip input as a separate gate input. Its not perfect but I think it should work.
Ptbarnum
windspirit wrote:
You can always just set the 'skip' parameter to 1 and set each channels skip input as a separate gate input. Its not perfect but I think it should work.

Thanks! I’ll try it. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious
plutino
Is anyone having a very buggy experience with the new firmware? Particularly with arpeggios on a channel at a slower clock division (like 2 or 4). Lots of intermittent gates and arps. For example, this is fully reproducible on every channel regardless of rebooting, tempo, etc.

First step: 1
step count: 4
clock div: 2
The rest of settings are default.
Steps 1-4 active with a 1/2 unison arp.

Patch gate out or just watch the led.

Hit play. On first measure, Step 1 and 2 will be correct and gate 2x. Step 3 and 4 only gate once. On second measure 1 and 2 again will be correct but 3 and 4 are completely silent.

This update is almost unusable as sometimes the channels even slip out of sync. I'd hate to go back to the old firmware as there are some really nice updates in this one. Maybe i have a bunk unit. Can anyone try and reproduce this?
Matos
I’ll test it tomorrow but I’ve been having lots of weirdness with external clocking and steps skipping, triggering on the wrong step, etc. haven’t had much luck contacting through the site. But when it works it’s awesome. Definitely going through some growing pains but it has a lot of potential.
apollinaire2k
With the FLXS-1 as the master, has anyone figured out a way to reset other sequencers without having to use up a track? I'm trying to reset a varigate 8 /VB combo.
behndy
hurm. the Skipping The First Hit problem is fixed, but i still have to reset the tempo to external control any time i reboot.

is there a global setting for that i'm missing? i'm trying to have Pam's as my main system clock, always have her going in to GT 01 for clock, GT 02 for reset.

would be neeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaat to have it default to that every time.
Hovercraft
Anyone know if Tenkai is still working on this project? Would have expected beta firmware to see more frequent updates. seriously, i just don't get it
Dark Barn
Hovercraft wrote:
Anyone know if Tenkai is still working on this project? Would have expected beta firmware to see more frequent updates. seriously, i just don't get it

Updates have been coming slower than I would like but they have been coming. Also Tenkai sent me a beta at one point when he had the external reset issue fixed, he knew from email this one was a big concern for me. So maybe if you have a pet concern you should let him know via email, he would probably be able to tell you where things are.
Hovercraft
Thanks--was hoping to hear if anyone is currently beta testing firmware. Updates? Did I miss anything--has there been more than one update since the release?
Dark Barn
Hovercraft wrote:
Thanks--was hoping to hear if anyone is currently beta testing firmware. Updates? Did I miss anything--has there been more than one update since the release?

I think there have been two official updates. One came right after the units shipped, and then there was an update in January. Current version is 17i. If you don’t have it PM me your email and I can share it with you when I get home. For some reason the 17i update was distributed via email only and isn’t on the Kickstarter web page it looks like.

Edit: duh! Obviously you have 17i since you posted about it at the top of the page!
0netwo0netwo
yeah i think Tenkai is currently working on a new manual and FW but were just gonna have to be patient

i dont mind though im just focusing my learning on all the other modules in my system
rbwduece
plutino wrote:
Is anyone having a very buggy experience with the new firmware? Particularly with arpeggios on a channel at a slower clock division (like 2 or 4). Lots of intermittent gates and arps. For example, this is fully reproducible on every channel regardless of rebooting, tempo, etc.

First step: 1
step count: 4
clock div: 2
The rest of settings are default.
Steps 1-4 active with a 1/2 unison arp.

Patch gate out or just watch the led.

Hit play. On first measure, Step 1 and 2 will be correct and gate 2x. Step 3 and 4 only gate once. On second measure 1 and 2 again will be correct but 3 and 4 are completely silent.

This update is almost unusable as sometimes the channels even slip out of sync. I'd hate to go back to the old firmware as there are some really nice updates in this one. Maybe i have a bunk unit. Can anyone try and reproduce this?

Weird, no issues like that here.
Gyroscope
Man I wished I had chosen the Nerdseq or Eloquencer instead of the FLXS1. You see the threads for these two sequencers bursting with activity. Developpers are releasing updates regularly. Tutorial videos are posted, there's enthusiasm, etc.

I wrote an email on the Zetaohm Website last week and all I've receive is a generic answer. Where's the new manual that was supposed to be released in the beginning of February? Tenkai seems like a great guy but does he still exist?
Hovercraft
Gyroscope wrote:
Man I wished I had chosen the Nerdseq or Eloquencer instead of the FLXS1. You see the threads for these two sequencers bursting with activity. Developpers are releasing updates regularly. Tutorial videos are posted, there's enthusiasm, etc.

I wrote an email on the Zetaohm Website last week and all I've receive is a generic answer. Where's the new manual that was supposed to be released in the beginning of February? Tenkai seems like a great guy but does he still exist?

Tenkai mentioned having some kind of forum for user interaction, but it hasn't happened. It could be as simple as Tenkai actively participating on this thread. I still think the FLXS1 is a great sequencer platform, with some big advantages over other sequencers. It would be nice to have better communication, and see more frequent updates.
Gyroscope
Him participating here would sure be a nice first step. Unfortunately he hasn't logged in on Muffs since the 20th of December. But I agree with you that the FLXS1 still holds lots of promises.
Dark Barn
I own all three of the sequencers you mention Gyroscope, because each one offers something the others do not. I plan to eventually get rid of one, but am undecided on which. The FLXS1 is a CV beast in ways the other two are not, the Nerdseq is not far behind but it doesn’t have scales masks or diatonic transpose via CV input (yet) like the FLXS1. The biggest feature I would like to see for FLXS1 would be a way to chain patterns or a song mode, some per-step randomization would be nice too!

I guess my point is, I’d like updates too, but i don’t think the FLXS1 is necessarily trailing behind the other sequencers out there.
Hovercraft
The ER-301 firmware development process might be a better model. The firmware is in beta--so make every version available to everyone. Why have a few beta testers when we're all using beta firmware? The advantage to Tenkai would be getting more and better feedback on features and bugs.
deltaphoenix
I heard that there is a new firmware in Beta. Supposed to be available soon.
Hovercraft
deltaphoenix wrote:

Great! Happy to hear this. The roadmap Tenkai outlined with the January release looks good--would be nice to have all the shortcuts working, along with destructive randomization and song/performance modes.
wanne
letz have an update soon applause
we're not worthy we're not worthy
mats_j
My unit has become unresponsive. All four gate lights light up and it’s just frozen like that. The screen is all black. I’ve tried moving it to another case, but it stays frozen. I’ve contacted Zetaohm, but no reply yet.
behndy
oog. that is TERRIFYING.

i really on mines so much. would be all the butts damaged if she went down.

hope it gets figured out soon homie!
Chartreuse-J
mats_j wrote:
My unit has become unresponsive. All four gate lights light up and it’s just frozen like that. The screen is all black. I’ve tried moving it to another case, but it stays frozen. I’ve contacted Zetaohm, but no reply yet.

I would re-up the firmware in teensy.
ndoe22
I got an email back from Tenkai a week or so ago. I was response to a feature request a bit a go so he is probably going through old emails and responding. He said a new FW is in the works and should be ready soon.
ndoe22
Im struggling with the LFO and modulation to get it to do the stepped arpeggio modulation thing they show in the demos. I need some functional examples in the manual how to use it. I hope stuff like that is included in the manual or maybe some videos are quick and easy to shoot??
windspirit
Are you sure that you arent thinking about the arpegiation that they do using the main note CV output? I think that the closest the secondary CV out can do is s&h random LFO.
Hidden_Path
Am I blind or is there currently no way to change the clock division of the master/global clock output?
rbwduece
Hidden_Path wrote:
Am I blind or is there currently no way to change the clock division of the master/global clock output?

I think that implementing multiplication/division of the master clock out would be a useful feature; especially if you're using FLXS as your system's main clock source. It would also be ideal if you could throw some swing on it do get it to match up with the swing applied to separate channels. I don't think these functions are available at the moment, but I did run the idea by Tenkai. We'll see! SlayerBadger!
Hidden_Path
rbwduece wrote:
Hidden_Path wrote:

I think that implementing multiplication/division of the master clock out would be a useful feature; especially if you're using FLXS as your system's main clock source. It would also be ideal if you could throw some swing on it do get it to match up with the swing applied to separate channels. I don't think these functions are available at the moment, but I did run the idea by Tenkai. We'll see! SlayerBadger!

That would be great, thanks for sending in the suggestion! Would be nice not to need a divider when using this as my systems master clock.
oneiric.tomb
Anyone else notice the issue of the steps of the sequencer getting triggering when using the button combos that involve steps?
Like saving to a new location ie to pattern # 7 Will activate step seven. Same with channel mutes. 75% of the time if I mute a channel step one of that channel will activate.

This is a super frustrating issue for me...
Hovercraft
deltaphoenix wrote:

How soon is now?
Hidden_Path
Hovercraft wrote:
deltaphoenix wrote:

How soon is now?

Curious too, can’t wait! Rockin' Banana!
operator808
Having a problem syncing the FLXS-1 with the trigger out on the Roland TR-09. I'm accepting the trigger as an external clock but the channels on FLXS1 fail to sync :( Hope stuff like this addressed in the next FW update. A bunch of presets would be good for inspiration too!

xx
Hidden_Path
Tenkai posted today on the Zetaohm FB page, sounds like a new firmware is getting pretty close (and the option to beta test was also mentioned).
Hovercraft
Saw that. Very glad he’s making progress with the firmware, and it sounds like it’ll be a significant update with some big features.
Hidden_Path
New firmware looks to be posted thumbs up
rbwduece
Wow, the v18 firmware just made this module a killer! I just spent an hour playing with the channel randomization & mute features with crazy results.
mokomo
I’d no idea there were so many updates to the firmware since 16d!

Where have these been communicated?
brandonlogic
Experimenting with using the flxs1 as a midi sequencer.
Sequencing a NES midi cartridge here
https://instagram.com/p/BhmxKAdgz6z/
fishdog
mokomo wrote:
I’d no idea there were so many updates to the firmware since 16d!

Where have these been communicated?

I think they were only communicated with the beta test group
fox.dylan92@gmail.com
can anyone with the new firmware tell me if we need to back-up our saved sequences prior to updating?

also, i've been a little perplexed as i've been starting to save sequences. i've only been able understand that i can save 16 sets of 4 sequences (1 per channel), although the product is described as being able to "Save up to 1024 sequences (16 sets of 16x4)." i have not been able to understand how 1024 sequences can be saved, so at the moment i only see how i can save 64 unique sequences, not 1024. does anyone have any insight into saving more than 16 sets of 4 sequences?
Hidden_Path
Great new video by Tenkai on the latest update and the module in general:

wanne
Hidden_Path wrote:
Great new video by Tenkai on the latest update and the module in general:

applause applause we're not worthy fkn best one man show module ever in eurorack land Rockin' Banana!
mokomo
this is a superb update!
having a lot of fun with the quantised randomisation, windowing, lfos & modulation and song mode. very deep step editing but easy to navigate. my mind boggles with the possibilities feeding it inputs from other control modules.
it is going to take some time to figure it out, but I'm finally going to be selling a number of sequencing/randomisation modules that the flxs replaces.

very much looking forward to the record feature though! hopefully it will be both midi and CV. I've found the centrepiece I was looking for.
operator808
Haven't updated to the new firmware just yet (trying to finish up a week of work before I dive in for the weekend).

Can anyone confirm whether in the random section, FLXS-1 can behave Turing Machine-esque at all? I'm considering getting a Turing Machine kit but if FLXS-1 comes close, I might drop the idea (especially considering I have four NLC builds lined up).

Any help appreciated. Also the new video is FIRE.

xx
cosmikwolf
Hey guys!

As it appears you are all aware of, Firmware 18 is out! yaaaay grin

New Features with Firmware 18:
    Channel Randomization
    Pattern Chaining
    Song Mode
    MIDI Channel Selection
    New Gate Types
    Pattern change triggers
    Custom Quantize Modes
    Quantized CV2 voltage output
    Various bug fixes and minor improvements

To see a full list of changes since Firmware 17i, go to zetaohm.com/downloads

also, I hear you guys on the master clock out setting. Its on my list for the next firmware. Also individual channel clocking, CV2 data out on MIDI CC messages, and I will FINALLY get to adding additional microtonal scales, first on the chopping block are 17TET and 17WT.

T

Also, in addition to the new demo video I made a little demo of what can be done with song mode:

and the demo video again, just so it comes from me smile
mokomo
Congrats on the update Tenkai, really impressive

Can you elaborate a little on what you are envisaging for the record function?
And whether custom mod envelopes selectable per step (similar to the existing feature for Attack/Decay etc) will be possible?
behndy
murrrrrrr i have to Closet Store all my music loots so we have a guest room instead of a music room for some fam for a few weeks, so can't try for myself yet.....

but could one now send CV into the FLXS and use a channel's output as a quantizer?

because that would be BOSS.

also, yesssss. thank you for the SUPER PIMP update!

i am SO excited about using a random that populates a field with manipulatable data.
windspirit
You might be able to do that by using the CV input as a transpose, although I am not sure if it only updates when there is a gate internally.
funqpatrol
Hey quick question is it possible to enter note pitch with a midi keyboard? Or even record a sequence using a midi keyboard? Thanks!
behndy
windspirit wrote:
You might be able to do that by using the CV input as a transpose, although I am not sure if it only updates when there is a gate internally.

interessssting. will try that when i get my setup back up.

thanks homie!
vytis
Is it possible to enter unquantized voltages instead of notes, or detune notes by a few cents? If not, how do the microtonal scales work?

Thanks.
wanne
cvb mod.possibility ?

is it possible to send an lfo on cvb for example on step 1
and make it stop on step 4 ?
Chartreuse-J
Had an interesting discovery with my Rytm and FLXS1.

I can pitch 1-4 of the voices and trigger them from the FLXS1.

I was under the impression up until now that you could not externally sequence/pitch each voice on the Rytm.

Check out the vid I made of it, Mysterion, and Disting MK2 bassline peppered in there for good measure.

Sorry for the crap GoPro mic.

behndy
i love how easy the FLXS makes doing a big more complex shiftings. and selecting a range and doing a random field of modifiable notes is an AWESOME way to start a patch.

all the drums are BIA or Manis through Sisters, melodies are Just Friends then Rings through a few things, FLXS controlling the JF and Rings -

vonstirlitz
Received my FLXS1 last week, haven’t had as much time as I would like to use it, but on my first run with the FLXS it was immediate enough, and things got crazy quickly.

One thing I don’t understand is the envelopes. They don’t seem as flexible as I had expected. You can set voltage, offset and length, but it seems there is no control over each stage of the envelope.

Is that right, or am I missing something?

It’s not a deal killer, but it would mean I will have to get another dedicated module for proper envelope sculpting.
plutino
vonstirlitz wrote:
One thing I don’t understand is the envelopes. They don’t seem as flexible as I had expected. You can set voltage, offset and length, but it seems there is no control over each stage of the envelope.

Is that right, or am I missing something?

It’s not a deal killer, but it would mean I will have to get another dedicated module for proper envelope sculpting.

I don't think you're missing anything. The CVB has envelope shapes as one option of many, it was never intended (AFAIK) to be a total replacement for a dedicated envelope generator. That said, you could chain together multiple steps to create a complex envelope shape.

For basic ADSR:
Step 1: Attack Env,
Step 2: Decay + offset (sustain target),
Step 3: Constant voltage for Sustain,
Step 4: Decay with Voltage matching the Sustain.

Since there are so many steps and a variety of envelope shapes/stages available, its possible to make really complex and long envelopes!

Because each steps' CV as a different timing, you'll likely have to play around with the length until it syncs up between the steps appropriately. I haven't tested this concept myself yet.

What would be dope though is if the duration of CVB could be set as a # of steps or tempo sync'd values.
SunSpots
Chartreuse-J wrote:
Had an interesting discovery with my Rytm and FLXS1.

I can pitch 1-4 of the voices and trigger them from the FLXS1.

I was under the impression up until now that you could not externally sequence/pitch each voice on the Rytm.

Check out the vid I made of it, Mysterion, and Disting MK2 bassline peppered in there for good measure.

Sorry for the crap GoPro mic.

that looks super fun. Seems like you could derrive some useable material out of that setup. SlayerBadger!
SunSpots
SO... I may not have watched/read enough but can I have another sequencer or clock drive this sequencer? So one gate per step? Any play/pause gate functions?
SunSpots
Nevermind I found the answer in the first minute or two of the video which apparently I completely overlooked. It can clearly do exactly what I wanted it to do. Heck I can't even do a lot more. Well I guess I'm going to go ahead and order one of these while I wait for the sinfonion to be developed...
behndy
yurp. i've used different gate sequencers to advance the FLXS. you can advance any combination of all 4 from the same gate or all from. separate gates. same with the reset.
SunSpots
behndy wrote:
yurp. i've used different gate sequencers to advance the FLXS. you can advance any combination of all 4 from the same gate or all from. separate gates. same with the reset.

since they all four can independently advance from separate gates that must mean that you can make some go slower, or faster or even uneven correct? It's basically 4 independent lanes, right?
mirth23
SunSpots wrote:
behndy wrote:

since they all four can independently advance from separate gates that must mean that you can make some go slower, or faster or even uneven correct? It's basically 4 independent lanes, right?

yes, and the lanes can also all be different step lengths and use different clock divisions. it's pretty hugely powerful.

lately it i've been playing around with using gate advances to use one lane as an arp generator (sort of like a burst generator but for pitch too).
SunSpots
mirth23 wrote:
SunSpots wrote:
behndy wrote:

yes, and the lanes can also all be different step lengths and use different clock divisions. it's pretty hugely powerful.

lately it i've been playing around with using gate advances to use one lane as an arp generator (sort of like a burst generator but for pitch too).

Oh yeah that sounds sick. So I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but I could send it an uneven clock and basically it's just going to advance each time it gets a clock even if that clock isn't continuous and repetitive? So making it Advance every third and 7th note on some other trigger sequencer would be perfectly fine?

The latest update has really made this sequencer and the developers intentions very clear and it has become something I am certainly going to have in my rack here as soon as Shawn process is my freaking order
behndy
SunSpots wrote:
behndy wrote:

yah. like Mirthing Pants said, you also have a pretty wide range of clock divisions for each channel. so it's super easy to make a faster melody on Channel 01, copy it to Channel 02, erase all but the 1, 5, 9 and 13 hits, make Channel 02 half the division of Channel 01, boo-yah-kah. you have the start of a bass line that follows the lead.

it's a CRAZY powerful buggeriboo.
funqpatrol
Hey guys,

Just an idea as I'm about to pull the trigger on this seq, as the flxs1 and Rene share a similar grid layout I was wondering if ou think adding a cartesian mode to the flxs1 would be a possibiility?

I love the Rene but the touch plates are a real PITA and the reason why I sold it in the end. Looks like the flxs1 would be a perfect use case for a rene mode firmware!

What do you think?
orbita
How are people finding this sequencer? I'm looking for a sequencer that will help create fun electro/techno sequences and the the fact this has cv controlled arpeggiators per step looks unique and fun.

I currently use Ableton live and struggling to find a hardware sequencer that I think would suit me. They either look like random ambient machines - eg rene, or software emulations - eloquencer, e301, hermod without being all that musically creative.
Hovercraft
@funqpatrol I think Tenkai mentioned an X-Y grid, but he's getting the core functions completed first. No idea if this is still something being considered, but Tenkai is still open to firmware suggestions, so you may want to email him.

@orbita Love my FLXS1--it's powerful and musical. It's taken some time to get comfortable with it, but it's geared towards building sequences with musical progressions. The second cv out for each channel is useful for programming in interesting variations--arps, timbral changes, envelopes, etc.
fishdog
@orbita Love mine as well, especially to complement the ER-301. Sooooooo much power
wanne
somebody tried the midi out yet and got a correct clock output with it ?
i hooked up my future retro 512 keyboard today and to get a 120bpm clock
on the 512 i have to dial in a internal clock speed of 720 bpm.
syncing the 512 from a daw everything ist okay so i guess its the flxs1 !?
Hovercraft
wanne wrote:

The gate clock input is currently 4 ppqn, and the midi clock in is 24 ppqn. I wonder if the midi clock is incorrectly outputting 4 ppqn. That would account for the 6X factor you're seeing. Just guessing here, since I haven't tested the midi out.
funqpatrol
Quick question about the arpegiator: is there a way to enter notes or does it arpeggiate based on fundamental + scale + pattern?

Thanks
tthogs
I can't believe there isn't more discussion about this incredible sequencer! Wow just wow. Is there another thread for it? I've searched but no bones. Let me know if I'm in the wrong thread.

1. Is there truly only 16 slots to save sequences in? As far as I can tell there aren't multiple save pages for the flxs1. Seems pretty low for such a feature laden module.

2. I was hoping I could use the second CV outs for extra triggers to fire drum modules. So channel 3 and 4 could have 2 drum trigger outs each, but much to my dismay, it seems like the triggers don't fire unless the main gate is on. I'm trying to figure out a workaround but if anyone has a solution I'm all ears.
windspirit
Hey tthogs, it is indeed a great sequencer.

I've been talking to Tenkai and at the moment there are only 16 save slots but there are plans on much much more memory slots.

I agree that the second option would be great. I use this all the time for drum sequencing and having the option to use the secondary CV used as an independent gate sequence (honestly I would probably also do this with the primary CV haha) would be really useful.
miles_macquarrie
Does anyone know if there are future plans to connect a midi (and-or a cv/gate) keyboard to record sequences?
tthogs
miles_macquarrie wrote:
Does anyone know if there are future plans to connect a midi (and-or a cv/gate) keyboard to record sequences?

I'm also really curious about this. There is that big ol "rec" button and its only functionality at this point is pasting steps and channels.

I also want to know if there is a way to transpose a sequence up or down semitones or octaves outside of having to use a mod input? Like a permanent adjustment you can save. It would be a huge time saver instead of having to go into each step and change it.
deltaphoenix
wanne wrote:

Any other news on the Midi Out? If not, I will get a cable for it and explore.
elemental
Has anyone got an idea of how it is/will be possible to use custom microtonal scales in the FLXS1? Its one the main reasons I'm interested in the sequencer, although it does look great for other reasons too.

Also it's not clear whether the Teensy/duino source code is going to he released as open source? I'd love to have a go at tweaking the code, I'm a C++ dev and have played with the Teensy in the past.
behndy
hurrrrrrrm. don't think there's a way, but it would be neaaaaat to be able to copy a Channel from one pattern to another.
orbita
I got my FLXS1 recently. It's really fun - a great way to come up with interesting sequences that I would never have been able to come up with in Ableton.

I was eyeing up
- metropolis, but it seemed a bit one track minded - pun not intended!
- eloquencer, but no glide - maybe later for drums/perc.
- stilson hammer, but didn't like that you cant see what notes it's set to if you change channel.

Later might consider Stilson Hammer or Metropolis for playability and the Eloquencer for drums/perc.

Couple of questions..
1) I'm sending clock from Pams into FLXS1 via "clock output" - is that right?

2) Is there a way to shift patterns left/right?

I see first-step setting in the channel menu - but when step-count is 16, it doesn't wrap around, it goes onto next page.

Maybe there could be a last-note setting to tell it when to wrap, that way you could cycle through using "first step".

A left-right shift would still be nice so you can visualise it easily.

3) Is there a way to copy patterns between channels?
Chartreuse-J
orbita wrote:

Couple of questions..

If you are patching the clock out on FLXS1 to the clock out to pams, there is a good chance you will ruin/damage either module.

Patch the clock out on pams to the (GT1 in on the white space lower left hand corner of the module) in on FLXS1 and select in the tempo menu.
vonstirlitz
Does anyone have any information about the plans and timeframe for future firmware updates?

Just asking as, although its fully functional at the moment, there are clearly undeveloped aspects to the sequencer (a record button that doesent record for one), and I am curious to understand what the plan for the sequencer is.
orbita
Chartreuse-J wrote:
orbita wrote:

Couple of questions..

If you are patching the clock out on FLXS1 to the clock out to pams, there is a good chance you will ruin/damage either module.

Patch the clock out on pams to the (GT1 in on the white space lower left hand corner of the module) in on FLXS1 and select in the tempo menu.

Corrected now :-)
Innerself2007
Just received my FLXS1 yesterday and had a few hours to give it a test spin, all I can say is WOW! didn't take to long to figure out, everything is pretty well laid out on the front panel. I have been researching sequencers for a while now and this one checks off most of my boxes. The arp feature is a lot of fun, the modulation sequencer is fantastic, one step you can have an LFO then change to an Envelope then back to a different LFO at another speed, its really crazy the amount of modulation control there is, this feature alone is worth the price.
Played around a bit with transposing using another sequencer through one of the 4 CV inputs.
Little bit of menu diving but not so bad, everything is laid out pretty well and I was zipping around the thing in no time.
Excited to see what future firmware updates will bring but in the meantime I'm really happy, so much more to explore.
w00t
orbita
In case others get confused. I discovered a bug that reduces the effective gate length of steps if you change the track step length. Tenkai has reproduced and will fix for next release.
Innerself2007
Anyway I can use this to clock and reset the rest of my modules with my DAW through the Midi or USB input on the FLXS1?
I know it has a clock out, but how would I get a reset out.
I currently use Yarns and really only use it for clock and gate from my DAW, if I could get the same functionality with the FLXS1 that would be an extra bonus.
ix
cosmikwolf wrote:

also, I hear you guys on the master clock out setting. Its on my list for the next firmware. Also individual channel clocking, CV2 data out on MIDI CC messages, and I will FINALLY get to adding additional microtonal scales, first on the chopping block are 17TET and 17WT.

love user customisable scales or scala import and plenty of slots , stunning module !!!
oneiric.tomb
behndy wrote:
hurrrrrrrm. don't think there's a way, but it would be neaaaaat to be able to copy a Channel from one pattern to another.

Tenkai told me a few monthes ago that this is planned.

I am definately hoping for a simple full sequence transpose up or down function!

Other feature creep is now that I've been digging into the wonders of the CV2 modulations per step I really want a tempo synced lfo!

Shits already pretty next level with the CVS per step especially since they can extend past the length of the step it seems for stacking modulation, would just be easier to manage if you could tempo sync it too.

People dont really understand how next level this sequencer is
wanne
deltaphoenix wrote:
wanne wrote:

Any other news on the Midi Out? If not, I will get a cable for it and explore.

nope hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it
oneiric.tomb
orbita wrote:
In case others get confused. I discovered a bug that reduces the effective gate length of steps if you change the track step length. Tenkai has reproduced and will fix for next release.

Also an issue with changing the first step past like step 8 or so. It freaks out or just ignores...
funqpatrol
Just treated myself with a flxs1 and I'm pretty impressed with the power, this thing is insanely versatile, it is close to my ideal sequencer and had to ponder for a while between the flxs1, eloquencer and hermod.

Eloquencer was a solid contender but don't offer glide per step, and has limited input for modulation, hermod has great potential but is buggy as hell and ended up selling the thing because of that.

There are a few suggestion that I'd make for the flxs1:

- enter note value via midi
- custom arpegio notes via midi or flxs (I mean predefined arpeggios are nice but boring and too predictable after a while)
- differerent arpeggio styles (ie the OP1 offer quite a bunch that are really amazing)
- exponential envelopes in the modulation section
- pattern change via CV (either jump to next in the chain or arbitrarily chnage pattern)

When can we expect a firmware update? smile

Thanks and cheers
Dark Barn
funqpatrol wrote:
Just treated myself with a flxs1 and I'm pretty impressed with the power, this thing is insanely versatile, it is close to my ideal sequencer and had to ponder for a while between the flxs1, eloquencer and hermod.

Eloquencer was a solid contender but don't offer glide per step, and has limited input for modulation, hermod has great potential but is buggy as hell and ended up selling the thing because of that.

There are a few suggestion that I'd make for the flxs1:

- enter note value via midi
- custom arpegio notes via midi or flxs (I mean predefined arpeggios are nice but boring and too predictable after a while)
- differerent arpeggio styles (ie the OP1 offer quite a bunch that are really amazing)
- exponential envelopes in the modulation section
- pattern change via CV (either jump to next in the chain or arbitrarily chnage pattern)

When can we expect a firmware update? smile

Thanks and cheers

These are all excellent suggestions. I would particularly love custom arpeggio notes! I think you should share your suggestions with Tenkai directly since he doesn’t seem to participate much in this thread, but he is receptive to suggestions if you email him!
vssp
I'm particularly interested in the FLXS1 as in the ER101/ER102 combo, which is more expensive and spacey.
There's an important function that is currently lacking and which could make the decision for me : playing/recording notes via midi with the FLXS1, I've asked to Tenkai via the support page and no reply about it since a few weeks.
Could it be possible for someone who owns the FLXS1 and is also waiting for this function to ask to Tenkai and report the answer here: when such a function would be available, if planed?
Thanks a lot for this, it will be very kind and usefull for the guys like me!
deadAMps
What kind of bugs are people seeing with this?

Sometimes exiting song mode, tracks of a pattern will be deleted. It seems the tracks on a pattern that were muted when stopping or exiting song mode, just disappear once in a while.
AirbornePorcine
Has anyone managed to get the midi out to work to get clock sync with Elektron gear via the included 3.5-midi adapter? I've tried every combination of settings I can think of, but there's no evidence that clock is actually being sent at all.
operator808
vssp wrote:
I'm particularly interested in the FLXS1 as in the ER101/ER102 combo, which is more expensive and spacey.
There's an important function that is currently lacking and which could make the decision for me : playing/recording notes via midi with the FLXS1, I've asked to Tenkai via the support page and no reply about it since a few weeks.
Could it be possible for someone who owns the FLXS1 and is also waiting for this function to ask to Tenkai and report the answer here: when such a function would be available, if planed?
Thanks a lot for this, it will be very kind and usefull for the guys like me!

Each firmware update thus far has been huge, has covered a lot of ground and I think future updates will do the same i.e. address bugs no matter how small they are, include sensible user requests, and continue to evolution of the FLXS1. I bought this sequencer after months of research, knowing at the end, it would be somewhat future proof. You can just tell from Tenkai's approach to this that he has a lot of bases covered. I have reason to believe the next firmware update will include the ability to record notes via MIDI.

xx
dubstephead
Can this sequencer offset individual gates timing so a steps gate would either be played milliseconds early, or late?
I know you can do euclidian rhythms per step but wouldn't they still start on immediately since they are a division of the the step? Kinda mandatory for my gates to be slightly offbeat (either early or late) sometimes. Everything else I've read about this make it look incredibly functional and powerful! thumbs up
WhateverEd
Went to download the FLXS1 manual, and I'm getting a certificate error (expired) on the zetaohm.com website. Anyone know where I can download the manual?
Hovercraft
WhateverEd wrote:
Went to download the FLXS1 manual, and I'm getting a certificate error (expired) on the zetaohm.com website. Anyone know where I can download the manual?

The site's cert is expired, but you can still access it with your browser--at least Chrome allows it. Seven months since the last firmware update, so it's not clear if development has stopped on the project, or is just imperceptible.
WhateverEd
Windows Edge browser failed with a DB connection error after I chose to ignore the cert expiration. However, I was able to access from my iPad, and after ignoring the cert expiration, iOS gave full access to the site, and I was able to download the manual.

I also filed a support ticket with zetaohm.com on this. I believe SSL certs automatically expire after a year, so it may just be a ThanksGiving holiday network admin issue on their server site (however, if intentionally left to expire, not a good sign for future support).

Interesting behavior between the different browsers.

Thanks.
WhateverEd
The certificate error has been fixed. zetaohm.com is live again.
plutino
dubstephead wrote:
Can this sequencer offset individual gates timing so a steps gate would either be played milliseconds early, or late?
I know you can do euclidian rhythms per step but wouldn't they still start on immediately since they are a division of the the step? Kinda mandatory for my gates to be slightly offbeat (either early or late) sometimes. Everything else I've read about this make it look incredibly functional and powerful! thumbs up

I don't think its currently possible but it seems like a plausible feature. I'd really like this feature as well.
dubstephead
plutino wrote:
dubstephead wrote:

I don't think its currently possible but it seems like a plausible feature. I'd really like this feature as well.

Thanks for 1+ing this. This sequencer seems ridiculously powerful but I just can't get something that does not have timing offsets since (for me) its pretty fundamental to get standout sequences. seriously, i just don't get it
windspirit
Afaik that is a pretty unusual feature in eurorack sequencers.
Futuresound
Wouldn't a gate delay allow you to do this?
windspirit
You could only do microtiming after the beat with a gate delay, not before the beat the way you could with either a daw or an elektron box. Its a small distinction but useful from a compositional standpoint IMHO
vytis
ER-101 does this. Varigate 8+ does too.
I have the FLXS1 and wish it did too.
I have been exchanging ideas with Tenkai and I'm sure he'll update the firmware at some point.
My suggestion is to add a per-step HOLD parameter in quarter increments, much like the gate (set it to 1.5, 2.75 step lengths for example). Or at least in whole steps. Set it how many clock ticks to skip before moving on to the next step.
wanne
erica drum sequencer accent and trigger outs are good for reseting.
also the programming style is the same.
it can do micro timing...
deke
I have been going nuts researching sequencers and I'm thinking the FLSX1 would be a really good fit. I'm semi new to all this and have a lot to learn, and it seems very easy to use and understand. I like many types of music and am not locked into anything, but I have to assume this can do so much more than techno correct? However, this offset issue you guys are discussing - does this mean the thing can't "swing"?
thetwlo
deke wrote:
I have been going nuts researching sequencers and I'm thinking the FLSX1 would be a really good fit. I'm semi new to all this and have a lot to learn, and it seems very easy to use and understand. I like many types of music and am not locked into anything, but I have to assume this can do so much more than techno correct? However, this offset issue you guys are discussing - does this mean the thing can't "swing"?

maybe start with the Doepfer a-155+154 if you think any sequencer can only do one style of music. That is still an amazing, and open sequencer.
deke
thetwlo wrote:
deke wrote:

maybe start with the Doepfer a-155+154 if you think any sequencer can only do one style of music. That is still an amazing, and open sequencer.

I don't think that, it's just that every video of it is the same predictable type of music. Thanks so much, you are very helpful.
thetwlo
deke wrote:
thetwlo wrote:
deke wrote:

I don't think that, it's just that every video of it is the same predictable type of music. Thanks so much, you are very helpful.

the doepfer is a great proper "analog" seq, and a good place to start. The new Five12/numerology module is the other option, and does everything.
funqpatrol
Wondering when the new firmware is gonna drop, anyone with info?
wanne
funqpatrol wrote:
Wondering when the new firmware is gonna drop, anyone with info?

yep,no info from tenkai on request via the webpage seriously, i just don't get it

there are so many things that are not implemented yet ....
orbita
I spoke with tenkai over email recently and he said he had some other hardware work he had to do separately but was commited to getting new firmware done. He actually sent me a beta version but I haven't had time to look at it.

One thing that might be good to do is make a clear prioritised list here of the fixes we are looking for
funqpatrol
orbita wrote:
I spoke with tenkai over email recently and he said he had some other hardware work he had to do separately but was commited to getting new firmware done. He actually sent me a beta version but I haven't had time to look at it.

One thing that might be good to do is make a clear prioritised list here of the fixes we are looking for

Yes I had a similar conversation but it was back in early october, that'd be nice to have at least the midi recording in place! care to share the beta FW?
mokomo
orbita wrote:
He actually sent me a beta version but I haven't had time to look at it.

Hi Orbital - What sort of stuff is the in the beta following v18? Thanks

Would love to see a few more updates.
Buyakasoundman
I’m curious as well
brandonlogic
three things i would love to see:

1. apply random to the modulation settings like you can with pitch (random lfo/speed/level on all steps)

2. per step delay setting (set by milliseconds)

3. probability setting per step
vonstirlitz
I would second all those. In addition, it would be good to have cv control over more functions, like cv or trig to step length, number of steps or time division (unless its already there and I am missing something).
wanne
anyway...it would be nice to hear something from tenkai ! seriously, i just don't get it
Decurion99
Deleted.
Jaypee
I have an ER 101/102, and René. Thought this sequencer would complete this combo perfectly.

That micro timing (shifting notes) is really a must-have. That's why I sold my Eloquencer. Too 'grid-rigid' for me.

As soon as this feature will be there, I will buy it for sure.

Why do I think it's an underrated sequencer? Is it because the lack of some features? Or because it's not a big company?
fishdog
Last I heard anything he was working on new modules rather than firmware :( I wonder if its still his plan to make all of the code open source as I feel the community may be able to help push development along.
wanne
fishdog wrote:
Last I heard anything he was working on new modules rather than firmware :( I wonder if its still his plan to make all of the code open source as I feel the community may be able to help push development along.

i know nothing...but it feels a bit like there is no more developement...
there is no reply on emails and there is no sign of life here at the forum or anywhere else for some time now... usualy thats not a good sign...but i could also be very wrong... hmmm.....
deke
wanne wrote:
fishdog wrote:

i know nothing...but it feels a bit like there is no more developement...
there is no reply on emails and there is no sign of life here at the forum or anywhere else for some time now... usualy thats not a good sign...but i could also be very wrong... hmmm.....

As a new owner, this has me a little anxious too. It is a sizable investment for most people.
windspirit
I just talked to tenkai in person, he is still working on a new update and supporting this. He just isnt interested in participating on the forum here.
deke
windspirit wrote:
I just talked to tenkai in person, he is still working on a new update and supporting this. He just isnt interested in participating on the forum here.

Cool, that's good to know. Thanks! I don't think this is a bad place at all, but I can understand his lack of interest as it can be somewhat endless. I'm sure he is busy and has his priorities.
mokomo
Fair enough, but it seems he might be missing a beat in promoting a really excellent product.
Maybe FLXS1 was just a one run thing and he doesn’t want to stimulate any further demand by communicating with customers/future customers? Again, understandable but a bit of a pity for such a great module.
miles_macquarrie
I, like many, have been on the hunt for the ideal modular sequencer. I have had so many of them from rene, metropolis, AD sequencer 1, stepper acid, voltage block, lifeforms kb-1, and more.
I was backer #7 on the kickstarter for FLXS1. I was very excited. It was sold with the idea that you would be able to connect either a cv/gate or midi keyboard to input note data. This was never implemented. A sequencer with so many features is quite hindered by using 1 knob to set your semitone information. Dissapointing. I'm still on the hunt. I regret getting rid of my Metropolis.
I have the Five12 vector arriving soon and have hopes that my search may finally be over, but only time will tell.
wanne
mokomo wrote:
Fair enough, but it seems he might be missing a beat in promoting a really excellent product.
Maybe FLXS1 was just a one run thing and he doesn’t want to stimulate any further demand by communicating with customers/future customers? Again, understandable but a bit of a pity for such a great module.

exactly
on a marketing/promotion standpoint that is very strange.
he designed one of the best modules in eurorack imo...
vonstirlitz
windspirit wrote:

I dont understand this. Someone puts a lot of personal time, energy and creativity in designing a Eurorack module, but doesnt want to post on the main website for modular synths? Has no interest in communicating with the user base? We literally have zero idea if the module will be supported or if it is dead in the water.

Seems like vapourware to me. Contrast FLXS with the love, attention and support given by the ER301 and Nerdseq devs to their community.

Its a good sequencer, for what it does, but there is littlr enthusiasm behind it, because it just doesnt seem supported.
deke
Deleted
Chartreuse-J
vonstirlitz wrote:
windspirit wrote:

I dont understand this. Someone puts a lot of personal time, energy and creativity in designing a Eurorack module, but doesnt want to post on the main website for modular synths? Has no interest in communicating with the user base? We literally have zero idea if the module will be supported or if it is dead in the water.

Seems like vapourware to me. Contrast FLXS with the love, attention and support given by the ER301 and Nerdseq devs to their community.

Its a good sequencer, for what it does, but there is littlr enthusiasm behind it, because it just doesnt seem supported.

I agree, it seems like a poor business decision from Tenkai not to post here, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Tenkai is Anti-Capitalist.

AKA = Another engineer that cuts his nose off spite his face.
mokomo
eurorack is severely anti-capitalist! it's keeping us all poor! Never maintain cash savings again Never maintain cash savings again lol

my guess is that tenkai's style might be to just appear with a slew of bugs and kickstarter features with few releases between long intervals of absence/silence rather than engage in banter on the minutiae in between... that's the way it seemed with 18d.

I was also expecting the cv/midi source recording and a couple of other advances from the kickstarter media and fluxwithit interview.

it would be good to be able to understand if this is the case and FLXS1 is still a heart of a set-up to plan around and thus avoid needing other modules. it feels like it is just 2/3 of the way to realizing expectations.
abilba
What's the current wait time on these?
wanne
abilba wrote:
What's the current wait time on these?

go here and ask !

https://www.zetaohm.com/
Buyakasoundman
Perfect Circuit has them in stock.
Kennymester
I recently picked up a FLXS1 and I'm having weird issues getting it to slave to a MIDI clock via 3.5mm. I'm using a known working adapter and everything else in the MIDI network is perfectly synced. Seems like the beat is always off no matter what. Is there someway to fix this? Is this a known bug?

Thanks!
thetwlo
Chartreuse-J wrote:

I agree, it seems like a poor business decision from Tenkai not to post here, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Tenkai is Anti-Capitalist.

...but he started this thread just to sell this product. I understand not getting involved in these discussions, but you can't have it both ways. Don't advertise here if you won't provide support here.
deke
thetwlo wrote:
Chartreuse-J wrote:

...but he started this thread just to sell this product. I understand not getting involved in these discussions, but you can't have it both ways. Don't advertise here if you won't provide support here.

Fair point. I suppose one test is to see how this unit does on the used market. I'm going to stick with mine, but I have some observations for what it is worth. I think it's fair to say any sequencer in some way influences how one composes with it. With that in mind the arpeggio function seems to be a big part of this. While I find it interesting and useful, it in many ways has too much of an influence, at least on me. Is that a good thing or bad thing? I don't know. However, I am learning to use it more subtly. For example using less dramatic settings in the "Speed" setting such as 3/2 or other less dramatic settings. Still, I worry it may be something I end up going to, not so much because I want to, but because it is there. My sequencer experience is limited to DAWS, Metropolis, Mother 32 and SQ-1. I imagine other sequencers sort of impose how they are used, but am wondering if there are some that are both powerful, yet somehow less influential or perhaps even limiting. Does this make any sense? I suppose another test would be if people could hear a track and say, "Oh, he/she is using a FLXS1" similar to how some popular modules get a rap for being used the same way by many, but there are many people smarter than I am who can make anything sound like... well, almost anything.

I really do appreciate the amount of CV control and the ability to generate CV signals within each patch/step with control over wave type, amplitude, speed and especially offset (gives my O/A/X2 a break or help!). I also find the various options to apply randomness useful.

As for the user interface, parts of it are easily learned, but there are some quirks that could use better documentation. In effect, local or track functions are easy, but more global functions are a bit buried.
wanne
Kennymester wrote:
I recently picked up a FLXS1 and I'm having weird issues getting it to slave to a MIDI clock via 3.5mm. I'm using a known working adapter and everything else in the MIDI network is perfectly synced. Seems like the beat is always off no matter what. Is there someway to fix this? Is this a known bug?

Thanks!

i have a problem with it the other way..see some posts ago....

anyway...it would be nice to hear from tenkai about what the future developement and updates is as many ppl here supported this via kickstarter
and may deserve some kind of update from time to time as long as the product is not finished...

it costs a minute or so to post here..
nobody needs daily talk and pampering from the person who made this module but i think one of the very good things about the eurocrack scene is that we have a big platform here and lotz of communication and support from the various producers of modules in the scene..
Kennymester
wanne wrote:
Kennymester wrote:

Thanks!

i have a problem with it the other way..see some posts ago....

anyway...it would be nice to hear from tenkai about what the future developement and updates is as many ppl here supported this via kickstarter
and may deserve some kind of update from time to time as long as the product is not finished...

it costs a minute or so to post here..
nobody needs daily talk and pampering from the person who made this module but i think one of the very good things about the eurocrack scene is that we have a big platform here and lotz of communication and support from the various producers of modules in the scene..

Wanne I talked to Tenkai today about my issue. He's been very helpful with trying to get my syncing issue resolved but unfortunately it looks like I'll have to send it to him. I did ask about the FLXS1 being a master clock and he said with the processing currently it's not reliable for a master clock. He said it's best synced via one of the current methods; USB, MIDI, or analog clock.
kullboys
Hello
Where is the GitHub link? Couldn't find it on Kickstarter nor GitHub.
cosmikwolf
Hello everybody,

So its been a minute, and I totally get that there are a bunch of my customers that are frustrated. I might be too, in your position.

Here is the low down:

2018 was a doozie. In January, my wife had surgery, I had to be a full time care taker for 6 months. This put me out of the rhythm of working on FLXS1 software, and I effectively offloaded that information from my brain for a little while. Around the same time as my wife having surgery, I lost my workshop space because they tripled my rent. I moved my workshop into my living room. I also had to find other work to pay the bills. Long story short, I’ve been super busy.

I want you all to know that I am 100% committed to release updates to FLXS1. I also intend to release the source code at some point (if you want to have access to it sooner, message me. developers who have a FLXS1 to the front of the line plz smile ). Its just a matter of finding the time, and getting people to actually test and give me good feedback. My drop dead date for this is Superbooth, as there are some things happening then that I need to have FLXS1 updates for (and no, its not an updated FLXS1)

Here are the changes that I have on the top of my list:

1. Fix first step bug
2. More than 16 save slots
3. Load exported save file via sysex
4. apply random to the modulation settings like you can with pitch (random lfo/speed/level on all steps)
5. per step delay setting (set by milliseconds)
6. MIDI input for writing sequences
7. probability setting per step

I also want everyone to know that I totally support the community aspect of this! To this end, I will be moving all my support conversations to a Zetaohm Discourse forum, this will happen when I have an update available to test. I will be getting people to use the forum by releasing the code there, and asking for feedback through it. I can’t keep track of all the stuff that goes on in muffwiggler. I abhor PHPBB and I don’t agree that it is the ‘main modular forum’ anymore. Modular happens in real life, with real people, and real challenges get in the way, and real people help each other make this thing happen. Trade shows are a great place to see whats new and what people are working on.

Until the forum is up, you can always email me: tenkai at_zetaohm D0t com. You can also submit a support ticket, but once the forum goes up, I will be removing the fresh desk support system, and instead I will make all my support via email and forum posts. (fresh desk makes sense for teams, but with individual stuff, its just another feed to check)

my favorite quote from this thread:
Quote:
I have a sneaky suspicion that Tenkai is Anti-Capitalist.

Capitalism: the source, and the temporary solution to, most of life’s problems…

Something that people should understand about me is that I am an Artist first, and engineer second, and a business person 3rd. I did something to test myself, creatively and technically and I met that challenge. The business end of it is the hardest part for me to keep up with. If anybody wants to be a marketing person for Zetaohm, I might be looking for someone to help in that arena in the next few months… plz inquire within...

Any who, thats all for now. Hope everyone is well. I will leave you with a record I released a few months ago. Buy it and help support FLXS1 development ;D

[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=1324999068 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false]
brandonlogic
we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy

Randomized modulation, probability per step, and delay per step- the features I been looking forward to most, confirmed! Amazing!

Seriously tho...
Randomized modulation applause

As you know, I’m happy to help test firmwares!
deke
cosmikwolf wrote:
Hello everybody,

So its been a minute, and I totally get that there are a bunch of my customers that are frustrated. I might be too, in your position.

Here is the low down:

2018 was a doozie. In January, my wife had surgery, I had to be a full time care taker for 6 months. This put me out of the rhythm of working on FLXS1 software, and I effectively offloaded that information from my brain for a little while. Around the same time as my wife having surgery, I lost my workshop space because they tripled my rent. I moved my workshop into my living room. I also had to find other work to pay the bills. Long story short, I’ve been super busy.

I want you all to know that I am 100% committed to release updates to FLXS1. I also intend to release the source code at some point (if you want to have access to it sooner, message me. developers who have a FLXS1 to the front of the line plz smile ). Its just a matter of finding the time, and getting people to actually test and give me good feedback. My drop dead date for this is Superbooth, as there are some things happening then that I need to have FLXS1 updates for (and no, its not an updated FLXS1)

Here are the changes that I have on the top of my list:

1. Fix first step bug
2. More than 16 save slots
3. Load exported save file via sysex
4. apply random to the modulation settings like you can with pitch (random lfo/speed/level on all steps)
5. per step delay setting (set by milliseconds)
6. MIDI input for writing sequences
7. probability setting per step

I also want everyone to know that I totally support the community aspect of this! To this end, I will be moving all my support conversations to a Zetaohm Discourse forum, this will happen when I have an update available to test. I will be getting people to use the forum by releasing the code there, and asking for feedback through it. I can’t keep track of all the stuff that goes on in muffwiggler. I abhor PHPBB and I don’t agree that it is the ‘main modular forum’ anymore. Modular happens in real life, with real people, and real challenges get in the way, and real people help each other make this thing happen. Trade shows are a great place to see whats new and what people are working on.

Until the forum is up, you can always email me: tenkai at_zetaohm D0t com. You can also submit a support ticket, but once the forum goes up, I will be removing the fresh desk support system, and instead I will make all my support via email and forum posts. (fresh desk makes sense for teams, but with individual stuff, its just another feed to check)

my favorite quote from this thread:
Quote:
I have a sneaky suspicion that Tenkai is Anti-Capitalist.

Capitalism: the source, and the temporary solution to, most of life’s problems…

Something that people should understand about me is that I am an Artist first, and engineer second, and a business person 3rd. I did something to test myself, creatively and technically and I met that challenge. The business end of it is the hardest part for me to keep up with. If anybody wants to be a marketing person for Zetaohm, I might be looking for someone to help in that arena in the next few months… plz inquire within...

Any who, thats all for now. Hope everyone is well. I will leave you with a record I released a few months ago. Buy it and help support FLXS1 development ;D

[bandcamp width=350 height=470 album=1324999068 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false]

Thanks so much for posting this. First and foremost I hope your wife is 100% better and whatever health issue she had is completely resolved. We have had our own share of being family care givers and it is very stressful. You really can't imagine how difficult it is until you go through it (and don't get me started on how our heath system's insurance red tape nonsense makes this even worse). Family always comes first! Thanks again, best to your wife and see you on your new forum.
cosmikwolf
Hey guys,

the new forum is up, and the new firmware beta is posted

https://planet.zetaohm.com/t/welcome-to-planet-zetaohm

check out planet zetaohm, ill be hanging out there pretty regularly
mokomo
Great to hear all well with your partner.

Delighted to see the items in the update and that you are working on midi-in sequence recording and the other enhancements.
Southfork
New forum is great, good to able to give feedback. Looking fwd to the updates. FLXS1 just needs a few more tweaks and bug fixes to take it to the next level Rockin' Banana!
Southfork
I have noticed on the newest beta19a firmware that save slots from 17-128 do not work. After pressing shift + save it flashes 'Saved' but on recalling the patch it just shows as a blank preset. Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?
vytis

FLXS1 has moved ER-101 out of my live case.

Here's a little sequence for a rainy afternoon.
Melody + Envelopes driven by FLXS1.
In this sketch I am muting / unmuting steps and occasionally transposing a note here and there from another channel.
Running FLXS beta firmware 19a.
128 save slots is a major new feature.
Waiting anxiously for the Step Delay functionality. And, hopefully ability to Detune in cents. Tenkai is doing great work on the new firmware.
thumbs up
miles_macquarrie
Glad to hear all is well with Tenkai and that further development is happening with this sequencer.

I was an early kickstarter supporter and then became discouraged when no midi or cv gate keyboard function was supported. Now that that is in the works I'm about to jump back in.

2 questions:

1) What is the "1st step bug"?
2) What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?
Buyakasoundman
1) What is the "1st step bug"?
2) What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?[/quote]

I only had the FLXS1 in my system for a week or two, but thoroughly enjoyed it. The only bug I experienced was the “1st step bug”. This was a bug where the sequencer would freeze when quickly changing the “1st step parameter”; which step the sequence would start on. Other than that, my only reason for returning it was to investigate other options. It has been said so many times before, but bears repeating; there are no perfect sequencers and seat time reveals more than YT vids or spec sheets. I look forward to revisiting this sequencer when it’s a little more mature. Not that it’s buggy, it just has many features waiting in the wings.
miles_macquarrie
Thank you for your quick response.
miles_macquarrie
miles_macquarrie wrote:

What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?

Can anyone answer the above question? Can you sequence midi gear with the midi out? Didn't see any details in the manual.
wanne
miles_macquarrie wrote:
miles_macquarrie wrote:

What is possible with the midi out? Does it send note data or just start/stop/clock messages?

Can anyone answer the above question? Can you sequence midi gear with the midi out? Didn't see any details in the manual.

yes you can !
miles_macquarrie
Thank you! Definitely going back in my rack. Can it send CC messages as well as note data?
behndy
heyyyyyyyy was i tripping or did i see in some post that one can now shift a whole track by semitones or ocataves?
oneiric.tomb
That would be great, a pretty essential feature imo.

I'm still a little confused about there being a new module coming out when the firmware on this is unfinished tho
Tonescape
behndy wrote:
heyyyyyyyy was i tripping or did i see in some post that one can now shift a whole track by semitones or ocataves?

Not tripping! This is possible thumbs up
behndy
nice! remind me how? i searched, could not find.

thanks!
Tonescape
behndy wrote:
nice! remind me how? i searched, could not find.

thanks!

Sure. You hold the channel pad, and presse the "transpose" pad (3rd row, 2nd pad from the left) to go in to the transpose menu. Here you can dial in the wanted setting with the encoder.
behndy
awesomeeeee. lol. you just saved me a TON of click knobby adjusting.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 15