MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

favorite reaktor blocks? factory + user library
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author favorite reaktor blocks? factory + user library
dusk
I recently installed reaktor + blocks 1.2 and it seems incredibly powerful, especially with the extremely large user library.

I was curious what your favorite individual blocks across both user and factory libraries are.

Also, I do not have DC coupled inputs (motu 1248) and wanted a clever way to be able to send reaktor gates and cv without having to buy additional hardware.
thelizard
Here are all Blocks sorted by best reviews:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/blocks/all/all/all/all/rating/all/

I created Euro Reakt, which contains 140 Blocks. There are ports of Mutable Instruments, Noise Engineering, and Nonlinear Circuits modules (all made with permission). There is also a wide array of sequencers, mixing tools, and noise/chaos sources.

I highly recommend the Nouveau Collection by Matthew Friedrichs, the Infinite Phi Collection by Sandy Small, The Synite Collection by Jonathan Tremblay, Brett Blocks (take a look at all of Brett's Block collections, especially his Rounds collection), everything by Colugo (not collected into a bundle), and the free Niji Drums expansion by NI (Also, be sure to install the 1.1 and 1.2 Blocks Library updates through the NI Service Center... their West-coast collection is awesome).

My single favorite Block is Sandy Small's Microwave wavetable oscillator. An up-to-date version is included in Infinite Phi.
Worwell
thelizard wrote:
Here are all Blocks sorted by best reviews:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/blocks/all/all/all/all/rating/all/

I created Euro Reakt, which contains 140 Blocks. There are ports of Mutable Instruments, Noise Engineering, and Nonlinear Circuits modules (all made with permission). There is also a wide array of sequencers, mixing tools, and noise/chaos sources.

I highly recommend the Nouveau Collection by Matthew Friedrichs, the Infinite Phi Collection by Sandy Small, The Synite Collection by Jonathan Tremblay, Brett Blocks (take a look at all of Brett's Block collections, especially his Rounds collection), everything by Colugo (not collected into a bundle), and the free Niji Drums expansion by NI (Also, be sure to install the 1.1 and 1.2 Blocks Library updates through the NI Service Center... their West-coast collection is awesome).

My single favorite Block is Sandy Small's Microwave wavetable oscillator. An up-to-date version is included in Infinite Phi.

There are so many great ones. Within Michael's indispensable Euroreakt collection, check out the chaos blocks connected to the Lisojou scope in the utilities folder, Wavetable LFO mod, squid axion, and complex oscillator. AXYS + is cool for bouncing ball modulations. If you use an ipad/elmur, Twisted Tools released a free block called the Ring which is really powerful. There was a recently released block called Processorz which apparently wasn't built in a sophisticated way but I found very cool. There is a Turing Machine mod in there. A WMD SSM matrix switch type block. I could go on and on.
rean1mator
i just got my setup working in ableton and have downloaded a bunch of stuff. will report back when i have a chance to play with some of them. looking for a favorite random source block at the moment. been holding off on buying the ultra random. between my es-3 and motu interface would prefer to keep my modulation sources in software at this point as i'm running out of space
thelizard
rean1mator wrote:
i just got my setup working in ableton and have downloaded a bunch of stuff. will report back when i have a chance to play with some of them. looking for a favorite random source block at the moment. been holding off on buying the ultra random. between my es-3 and motu interface would prefer to keep my modulation sources in software at this point as i'm running out of space

There are a ton of random sources in Euro Reakt to choose from. Building an Ultra Analog emulator is a fun learning experience:
1) Add two Bento Box S&H Blocks (these are in the standard library). This takes care of "Sample A/B Level" and "Sample Out-A/B" on the UA.

2) Add a clock generator of your choice to clock the random sources. This takes care of "CLK Speed", "CLK FM", "EXT. CLK" (since you can choose your clock) and "CLK Out". Plug it into the Gate inputs of the S&H Block.

3) Add a Bento Box CV Processor. Plug the output of Sample B (one of the S&H Blocks) here. This will act as the "Sample-B Slew" control.

4) Add Euro Reakt's 2-to-1 Switch. Clock it using the main clock. Plug the stepped outputs of S+H 1 & 2 into it (not the slewed 2 output). This is the Toggle A/B Out.

5) For R-FLUX, I'd probably emulate that using Euro Reakt's "Low Frequency Noise" Block. It has a Smooth or Stepped output.

6) For Random Pulses, either use Euro Reakt's Dust Block, Impulse Generator Block, or a clock source of your choice with ER's Probability Block. There's also a cool Random Gates Block in ER that has 8 random clocks with independent probability.

7) The Opto-Integrator is the most unusual feature. ER's Low-Pass Gate has a vactrol model with a direct input and output. You could plug in a voltage directly to the vactrol model and consider that a rough emulation. Alternatively, a slew limiter would be fine here. Euro Reakt's Hold & Slew has separate Rise and Fall controls, so you could set a rapid Rise time with a slightly slower Fall time to roughly emulate a vactrol (and ultimately have more control).
Worwell
thelizard wrote:
rean1mator wrote:

There are a ton of random sources in Euro Reakt to choose from. Building an Ultra Analog emulator is a fun learning experience:
1) Add two Bento Box S&H Blocks (these are in the standard library). This takes care of "Sample A/B Level" and "Sample Out-A/B" on the UA.

2) Add a clock generator of your choice to clock the random sources. This takes care of "CLK Speed", "CLK FM", "EXT. CLK" (since you can choose your clock) and "CLK Out". Plug it into the Gate inputs of the S&H Block.

3) Add a Bento Box CV Processor. Plug the output of Sample B (one of the S&H Blocks) here. This will act as the "Sample-B Slew" control.

4) Add Euro Reakt's 2-to-1 Switch. Clock it using the main clock. Plug the stepped outputs of S+H 1 & 2 into it (not the slewed 2 output). This is the Toggle A/B Out.

5) For R-FLUX, I'd probably emulate that using Euro Reakt's "Low Frequency Noise" Block. It has a Smooth or Stepped output.

6) For Random Pulses, either use Euro Reakt's Dust Block, Impulse Generator Block, or a clock source of your choice with ER's Probability Block. There's also a cool Random Gates Block in ER that has 8 random clocks with independent probability.

7) The Opto-Integrator is the most unusual feature. ER's Low-Pass Gate has a vactrol model with a direct input and output. You could plug in a voltage directly to the vactrol model and consider that a rough emulation. Alternatively, a slew limiter would be fine here. Euro Reakt's Hold & Slew has separate Rise and Fall controls, so you could set a rapid Rise time with a slightly slower Fall time to roughly emulate a vactrol (and ultimately have more control).

Great great stuff. Blocks is strong medicine for GAS. Its saved me thousands.

The major objection to Reaktor and software on this forum is the loss of tactile interaction. I've addresed this by setting up Maschine templates for oft-used ensembles to control my modular. In a way its more sensory because you can see the modulation on the scope/modulation parameters on the Blocks.
rean1mator
great info thanks!

Worwell wrote:
thelizard wrote:
rean1mator wrote:

Great great stuff. Blocks is strong medicine for GAS. Its saved me thousands.

The major objection to Reaktor and software on this forum is the loss of tactile interaction. I've addresed this by setting up Maschine templates for oft-used ensembles to control my modular. In a way its more sensory because you can see the modulation on the scope/modulation parameters on the Blocks.
Worwell
This patch was sequenced and panned with one Block - the AXYS+. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/10713/?refresh=fk4wdfmzsfq

Cfcarter
One of my favourites from EuroReakt is bit mix and logic mix. Mix a few different audio sources and instant looooooovely digital madness. Run that through the 8 way switch and switch that in audio rate and you are well.. In a cool place. Really loving the EuroReakt stuff. It's amazing!!
oisin
finally updated to reaktor 6 and diving head on into the block pool. . alot of fun; thanks for the all the info here. .

any other favorite weird ones from the user library?

only gripe so far is the screen layout makes this almost unusable on my 13" mbp.. but monitors are cheap i guess cool
hackrobat
thelizard wrote:
I created Euro Reakt, which contains 140 Blocks. There are ports of Mutable Instruments, Noise Engineering, and Nonlinear Circuits modules (all made with permission).

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread!

Does "ports" mean that these are actual copies/implementations of the same software code from the physical modules?
hackrobat
BTW - Congratulations on completing your dissertation!
thelizard
Thanks!

Since there isn't a C/C++ API for Reaktor, most of the ports are not 100% accurate but are very close in behavior and sound. Also, some of the NLC modules are analog and/or they use CMOS chips with reproducible behavior (but not code to port). In most instances, I've also added features/controls. In some places, I've expanded the control ranges.

The ports in VCV are actually compiled using the original Mutable code, so those are extremely accurate.
pivoter
are there super interesting sequencers in reaktor blocks? I know theres an 8 step one but it seems fairly limited in what it can do.
thelizard
pivoter wrote:
are there super interesting sequencers in reaktor blocks? I know theres an 8 step one but it seems fairly limited in what it can do.

The Kodiak Shift Sequencer (free with the Blocks 1.3 update) is fantastic. It is very similar to Monome's Kria sequencer on the Ansible.

Colugo's Langston's Ant Block is awesome: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/9583/
pivoter
thelizard wrote:
pivoter wrote:

The Kodiak Shift Sequencer (free with the Blocks 1.3 update) is fantastic. It is very similar to Monome's Kria sequencer on the Ansible.

Colugo's Langston's Ant Block is awesome: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-l ibrary/entry/show/9583/

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out when I get home.
chamomileshark
There are some Euclidean blocks also.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1