MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Waldorf Blofeld
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Waldorf Blofeld
Animalbeats
So I have a Blofeld, which I really enjoy the sound of, then I discover this £20,000 synth that uses a Modded Blofeld with different DAC and I assume other components.

Now, how can I improve my Blofeld?

I'm just begin my adventures in electronics, so why don't I ruin my fav synth.

Axel Hartmann's 20k Synth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUr8oO1a4Wo&t=271s
rowsbywoof
Maybe you should look into Waldorf's upcoming (hopefully sooner than later) Quantum, instead.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/04/04/messe-2017-waldorf-qauntum-8 -voice-hybrid-poly/

Hartmann also designed that, and it's got a lot more going for it than a modified Blofeld sound engine. grin

Now, to wonder what Axel is doing with the money he's raising from the sale of the 20K? Maybe he'll team up with Zynaptiq and give us a second rev Neuron... Hehe, probably not.
h4ndcrafted
There is a thread, I think on GS where ppl had allegedly changed the DACs in theirs to improve sound.

Other than that, not sure what you mean? Are you wanting to set it in a different chassis or something ?

I find the case and Keybed pleasing, some ppl have had issues with encoders, I've had mine since 2010 and the encoders have been solid.

Other ways to improve, bypass the effects and use your own. The distortion types have their uses but the rest are pretty naff imho.

Oh , join the Blofeld user group on FB, the main posters there have some great xperiments, advice.
dubonaire
He's just having a rant about the 20 synth, even though no one is forcing him to buy it.

Animalbeats take your angry to Gearslutz.
Animalbeats
Rowsbywoof, thanks for your idea, to be honest I was instantly turned off by the aesthetics of the Quantum, but I'll give it another listen, and thanks for turning me on to other creations by the same designer.

H4ndcrafted, it was really an upgrading of the DAC I was interested in.

Aesthetically I do love the Blofeld although I'm not so keen on the keyboard version. But I have thought about putting the module in my own homemade keyboard.

Unfortunately my encoders do need changing, they were faulty until the update but now they function very slowly, enough to hamper the pleasure of using the device.

I've not really used the effects much, with having faulty encoders I've been happy enough using the stock sounds.

I've also joined the FB Group so thank-you for your direction.

Hi Dubonaire

I'm unsure if you're displaying a gentle dry wit or if in fact you get the award for being the first bum hole I've come across on this great site. I've been looking forward to communicating and learning on here for a wee while.

If it is the latter please don't comment on any of my threads again.
Nelson Baboon
Animalbeats wrote:
Rowsbywoof, thanks for your idea, to be honest I was instantly turned off by the aesthetics of the Quantum, but I'll give it another listen, and thanks for turning me on to other creations by the same designer.

H4ndcrafted, it was really an upgrading of the DAC I was interested in.

Aesthetically I do love the Blofeld although I'm not so keen on the keyboard version. But I have thought about putting the module in my own homemade keyboard.

Unfortunately my encoders do need changing, they were faulty until the update but now they function very slowly, enough to hamper the pleasure of using the device.

I've not really used the effects much, with having faulty encoders I've been happy enough using the stock sounds.

I've also joined the FB Group so thank-you for your direction.

Hi Dubonaire

I'm unsure if you're displaying a gentle dry wit or if in fact you get the award for being the first bum hole I've come across on this great site. I've been looking forward to communicating and learning on here for a wee while.

I'm not commenting one way or the other, but logically, if Dubonaire is a 'bum hole' then why would he obey you and not comment on your threads? If he knows he's one, then it seems to me that he would post deliberately to defy you, and if he doesn't know, then he would just proceed as he has been.

I'd hate to be in your shoes.
dubonaire
Animalbeats wrote:
Hi Dubonaire

Sorry if I took your post the wrong way. The 20 synth uses the Blofeld Engine, but it's unashamedly meant to be an expensive design piece - milled out of solid aluminium. So I didn't really understand what you were getting at and jumped to a conclusion. It's actually based on the much cheaper Sledge http://www.studiologic-music.com/products/sledge2/, which has from an interface perspective what almost everyone complained the Blofeld didn't have.
dopefiend
Well, aforementioned missunderstandings notwithstanding, I have been very intrigued by anything coming from them kraut fellas. I think the 20K's appeal is gonna be predominantly aesthetic, as I doubt it will expand much upon the specs of the Sledge....and, oh, is it really gonna cost 20K GBP? d'oh!

As for the Quantum.....yum! An improved version of the Wave and the Q+. Fuck yeah!! I have a Wave but it is oh so quirky.... seriously, i just don't get it Sometimes it works beautifully, other times it will crash and check out, the Big Fucker... very frustrating The one I'm enjoying lots and lots right now is the Solaris, though....another teutonic titan. Much cleaner and refined than the Wave (the latter sounds crunchy/glassy and oh so big...like two or three stacked PPG's).

Anyway, Ich bin ein Waldorf Liebhaber applause
Animalbeats
Nelson Baboon

One can only ask.

dubonaire

The price of the thing does not concern me in the slightest, I'm just wondering if I can improve/upgrade mu Blofeld.

Perhaps this not being in the DIY section didn't help analysis.

I have had a wee look online but can't find any info on what other synths use the Blofeld engine, I'd be really interested to find out, as ideally, although I love the look and sound of the thing, a better equipped interface is desirable in the right package.

dopefiend

I've just got the VST that I'm looking forward to playing with.[/b]
abruzzi
Animalbeats wrote:

I have had a wee look online but can't find any info on what other synths use the Blofeld engine, I'd be really interested to find out, as ideally, although I love the look and sound of the thing, a better equipped interface is desirable in the right package.

The basic engine is in the Blofeld Module and Keyboard, the Sledge/Sledge 2, the 20, and the Largo soft synth.

They are not identical though. For the most part the Blofeld has more depth and flexibility than the other hardware variants. For example, the Sledge doesn't officially have the PPG filter or the Comb filter, but if you send it the right SYSEX you can actually switch the filter to PPC or comb.

EDIT: I'll also add that dubonaire's assumption is not unexpected. the 20 has taken a lot of crap because it is a $20,000 version of a $500 synth. there are a lot of people on GS that seem to get personally offended by expensive synths.
Monotremata
abruzzi wrote:

The basic engine is in the Blofeld Module and Keyboard, the Sledge/Sledge 2, the 20, and the Largo soft synth.

They are not identical though. For the most part the Blofeld has more depth and flexibility than the other hardware variants. For example, the Sledge doesn't officially have the PPG filter or the Comb filter, but if you send it the right SYSEX you can actually switch the filter to PPC or comb.

Largo has a couple features the Blofeld doesn't, and I wish they would update the Blofeld to have them. Its got the master EQ, and LFO3 has one extra option, the Step LFO.

Aside from that they're exactly the same. A couple weeks ago, I spent a day putting a few Largo patches into the Blofeld and they're just about dead on. One of the Largo presets I was doing (Atmorph) came out a little bit different but not much. Turns out it uses the Step LFO in there.
dubonaire
Animalbeats wrote:
The price of the thing does not concern me in the slightest, I'm just wondering if I can improve/upgrade mu Blofeld.

I guess the fact that you mentioned the price of it twice in your four-line post was what made me think it mattered to you. smile
Animalbeats
[b]abruzzi

Monotremata[/b]

Thanks for the tip on the Largo it'll be interesting to try, I avoided soft synths (but did buy iPad apps which I regret apart from the Moog Model 15)

Shame they didn't use the Largo style interface for the Blofeld editor

hmmm.....

dubonaire[u]

I suppose to be fair I only mentioned it with the implication that the Synth was worth £20,000 and if so how could I modify my Blofeld to achieve a sound worthy of a similar price. Although I did realise that a lot of the cost wold be tied up in the manufacturing of hardware element. The second mention was just the title of the video from YouTube.
rowsbywoof
abruzzi wrote:

I'll also add that dubonaire's assumption is not unexpected. the 20 has taken a lot of crap because it is a $20,000 version of a $500 synth. there are a lot of people on GS that seem to get personally offended by expensive synths.

It is funny when you think about it. Nobody questions the validity of a custom shop Gibson, or a Taylor guitar using some exotic wood. Sure, I'd have loved to see the design money put into a new synth, but the Blofeld is pretty capable and this is a show off/showroom piece, anyway. Not sure why people get bent out of shape.

They're only making 40 total, and I'm sure they'll sell them all eventually. Hans Zimmer bought the first 'cause he's got the pockets and the collector love of all things sonic. I'm sure other like minded musicians and collectors want one too. If a $20K Blofeld doesn't interest you, there is always the <$1K Blo or Sledge to satiate. No reason to even blink at the 20, except to just marvel at what it costs to properly machine sexy synths.
dubonaire
rowsbywoof wrote:
abruzzi wrote:

I'll also add that dubonaire's assumption is not unexpected. the 20 has taken a lot of crap because it is a $20,000 version of a $500 synth. there are a lot of people on GS that seem to get personally offended by expensive synths.

It is funny when you think about it. Nobody questions the validity of a custom shop Gibson, or a Taylor guitar using some exotic wood. Sure, I'd have loved to see the design money put into a new synth, but the Blofeld is pretty capable and this is a show off/showroom piece, anyway. Not sure why people get bent out of shape.

They're only making 40 total, and I'm sure they'll sell them all eventually. Hans Zimmer bought the first 'cause he's got the pockets and the collector love of all things sonic. I'm sure other like minded musicians and collectors want one too. If a $20K Blofeld doesn't interest you, there is always the <$1K Blo or Sledge to satiate. No reason to even blink at the 20, except to just marvel at what it costs to properly machine sexy synths.

Agree with all of this. Also it uses SPL Supra Op Amps, which operate off a 120V rail, have signal-to-noise ratio of 116dB and an additional headroom of 34dB giving a dynamic range of 150dB. According to SPL.
peripatitis
I don't know for me all this excess is insulting in a way.
It has nothing to do with gear and music, just the fact that someone has that money to waste because he just has, and f@!#&*@&# i don't want to sound melodramatic but one could feed a village in a poor country for a year...
It kinf of reminds me the Babylonian towers and there is no way we wont pay for that in the long run.

It would be different if there is a purpose behind it, some sort of research, love project or whatever but these are just made so that they can be sold.
Monotremata
Animalbeats wrote:
Monotremata

hmmm.....

Well, any editor for the Blofeld was made by a non-Waldorf third party so they won't have access to Waldorf's GUI design and have to come up with it from scratch. The Monstrum editor looks pretty decent though. I just haven't decided whether or not its worth the $50 yet because its missing the one thing I really want in an editor, a way to store a library of patches. All it does is edit at the moment. I can't seem to get the old adaptation for Sound Diver to even see my Blofeld yet either.
dubonaire
peripatitis wrote:
It has nothing to do with gear and music, just the fact that someone has that money to waste because he just has, and f@!#&*@&# i don't want to sound melodramatic but one could feed a village in a poor country for a year...
It kinf of reminds me the Babylonian towers and there is no way we wont pay for that in the long run.

It would be different if there is a purpose behind it, some sort of research, love project or whatever but these are just made so that they can be sold.

Actually I think it is a labour of love. Axel Hartmann is an industrial designer and genuinely passionate about synth design. I don't think it's a purely cynical commercial venture.

You raise an interesting point, but I think your criticism could be labelled at large sections of musical instrument consumers. Seems you get criticised if you are Uli Behringer for mass producing synths cheaply or Axel Hartmann for wanting to produce a piece of high end equipment. So where do you place the ethically optimal quality/price point/margin? How are the ethics of spending $20k on a synth assessed against the ethics of spending that much money on a firearm, or even a car or motorbike, or tailored clothes, given that at least making music can bring joy to others? What are the ethics of Hans Zimmer having a net worth of $90 million? Where do you start and stop with this? Even if your net worth is only $10K, 70% of the world is still poorer than you.

Many people on this forum spend $10k on a modular synth that unlikely has the synthesis functionality of Behringer's $1k Deepmind. Just as an exercise I did a modulargrid to get the functionality of Deepmind and it came out at around $13k of (mainly cheap) modules plus the case would probably be an additional $1-2k. So 70% of the world's population have less money than the price of a modular Deepmind equivalent. So if you are going to criticise the 20 synth you probably need to rope in all of us who spend money on modular synthesis. I could sell my studio and feed a village too. I could sell the laptop I'm using and probably vaccinate a village.

I'm not making these points to shoot you down, I think the ethics of what we consume is a valid question to raise.
dopefiend
dubonaire wrote:
peripatitis wrote:

Actually I think it is a labour of love. Axel Hartmann is an industrial designer and genuinely passionate about synth design. I don't think it's a purely cynical commercial venture.

You raise an interesting point, but I think your criticism could be labelled at large sections of musical instrument consumers. Seems you get criticised if you are Uli Behringer for mass producing synths cheaply or Axel Hartmann for wanting to produce a piece of high end equipment. So where do you place the ethically optimal quality/price point/margin? How are the ethics of spending $20k on a synth assessed against the ethics of spending that much money on a firearm, or even a car or motorbike, or tailored clothes, given that at least making music can bring joy to others? What are the ethics of Hans Zimmer having a net worth of $90 million? Where do you start and stop with this? Even if your net worth is only $10K, 70% of the world is still poorer than you.

Many people on this forum spend $10k on a modular synth that unlikely has the synthesis functionality of Behringer's $1k Deepmind. Just as an exercise I did a modulargrid to get the functionality of Deepmind and it came out at around $13k of (mainly cheap) modules plus the case would probably be an additional $1-2k. So 70% of the world's population have less money than the price of a modular Deepmind equivalent. So if you are going to criticise the 20 synth you probably need to rope in all of us who spend money on modular synthesis. I could sell my studio and feed a village too. I could sell the laptop I'm using and probably vaccinate a village.

I'm not making these points to shoot you down, I think the ethics of what we consume is a valid question to raise.

Drop the mike, Dubonaire!!

Very true. The extravagance of high-end collectors, or high-rolling gamblers, is something that happens because, well, it can. The money has been earned, one way or another....more power to them. And they can exercize their right to purchase whatever they please, as dictated by the rules of capitalism. People will drop million$ for a painting made by a suicidal dude with one ear, if they have the cash to burn. Hans Zimmer loves synths....and he's loaded, ergo, he can buy a $50K two-vco mono made of lollipop sticks if he so pleases. And indeed, we can forget about these high-end wealthy people, and scrutinize the average euro arsenal of any 'wiggler here...and many of them are in the 5-figure range. Thsat's a shitload of meals-on-wheels, eh..? Also, many folks here drive big, expensive cars. Dudes love cars (I do!). And I personally take no offense in seeing my friend's collection of Ferraris or Aston Martins. I choose to drive a modest little thing, in favor of big, beautiful poly synths. I don't think I would ever get the 20K because there are many other poly's that offer way more at half the price. For that cash you can find a CS-80 in great shape (I did, and got change back!!), or get a Schmidt, two Waldorf Waves or 5 Solaris. BTW, to the OP: get a Solaris, my man. It is such a lovely instrument!! Also of german descent, with beautiful wavetables (licensed by Waldorf) and incredible filters.
jazzcabbage
dopefiend wrote:
As for the Quantum.....yum!

I can't wait, yum indeed! w00t
Chopper
Monotremata wrote:
Animalbeats wrote:
Monotremata

hmmm.....

Well, any editor for the Blofeld was made by a non-Waldorf third party so they won't have access to Waldorf's GUI design and have to come up with it from scratch. The Monstrum editor looks pretty decent though. I just haven't decided whether or not its worth the $50 yet because its missing the one thing I really want in an editor, a way to store a library of patches. All it does is edit at the moment. I can't seem to get the old adaptation for Sound Diver to even see my Blofeld yet either.

http://bigglesworth.it

THIS GUY.
I didn't dig into the wavetable editor yet, but although simpler than the other well known ones out there it seems pretty interesting. I love the interface overall.
Monotremata
Chopper wrote:

http://bigglesworth.it

THIS GUY.
I didn't dig into the wavetable editor yet, but although simpler than the other well known ones out there it seems pretty interesting. I love the interface overall.

Damn no Mac version, otherwise that sounds perfect.
zaphod betamax
I think the Blofeld is fine the way it is, warts and all!
rockmanrock
dubonaire wrote:
Also it uses SPL Supra Op Amps, which operate off a 120V rail, have signal-to-noise ratio of 116dB and an additional headroom of 34dB giving a dynamic range of 150dB. According to SPL.

I wonder what difference this will make. I think the Blofeld sound comes out of the main chip (built in DAC?) and goes into an NE5532. I owned one for a while, felt the sound was odd and rather flat, so I sold it. I suspect the sound character comes mainly from the programming of the audio engine. I remember when I bought Cubase SX years back, there was a Waldorf synth (A1?) and the sound of that did nothing for me either. I like the Pulses and the original Microwave.
zaphod betamax
It is a tough beast to tame, but 4 years in, I am slowly learning all the Blofeld will reveal.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2