Therapsid MK2

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

User avatar
rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 am
Location: oakland, ca

Therapsid MK2

Post by rean1mator » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Anyone get in on a preoorder for the therapsid mk2? ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and found a couple of of the newer sid chips(8580's) on ebay to pop in when it gets here. will likely order a second 6581 for that dirtier sound as well at some point. loving the demo videos of it. always wanted a sidstation but the prices just got out of hand on those. hopefully they ship out soon.

User avatar
SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Post by SOPiiAC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:49 pm

I pre-orded one. Very psyched to add it to my midiNES and Mega Drive synths. Hoping I can find a second 6581 to add for the fatness.

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Post by monads » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 am

+1. Plan to load it with two 8580 chips I have on hand. My sammichSID has two 6581 chips. Used to own a Sidstation but unloaded it after I built the sammich.

User avatar
rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:55 am

Love to hear how you all get on with them. I've been curious of Therapsid for a while, but didn't pull the trigger the few times he had the MKI version in stock. Looking at the new features in the MKII, I'm kind of glad I got gun shy. Looks like he added some cool stuff.

User avatar
The Goob
Common Wiggler
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:26 pm

Post by The Goob » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

Looking at the MK2, he made a good call in getting rid of the glue-on wood sides and using nicer knobs. I had one of the original Therapsids and the build quality left a lot to be desired for me. This looks like an improvement.

User avatar
rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 am
Location: oakland, ca

Post by rean1mator » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am

i was so fixated on wanting an acid8 that i never even considered the therapsid v1. based on videos much prefer the sound of the therapsid.

rowsbywoof wrote:Love to hear how you all get on with them. I've been curious of Therapsid for a while, but didn't pull the trigger the few times he had the MKI version in stock. Looking at the new features in the MKII, I'm kind of glad I got gun shy. Looks like he added some cool stuff.

User avatar
rowsbywoof
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 830
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:20 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Post by rowsbywoof » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:42 pm

rean1mator wrote:i was so fixated on wanting an acid8 that i never even considered the therapsid v1. based on videos much prefer the sound of the therapsid.

rowsbywoof wrote:Love to hear how you all get on with them. I've been curious of Therapsid for a while, but didn't pull the trigger the few times he had the MKI version in stock. Looking at the new features in the MKII, I'm kind of glad I got gun shy. Looks like he added some cool stuff.
I've had a love for the SID chips, and making noise with them, going back to the old school PCI HardSIDs. Still have my Quatro with three working chips ;) I was a bit too young for the C64 hay day that I probably would have loved the hell out of, but I'm happy that their voice has been preserved over and over again, almost every generation, with a cool new device.

Hell, I still have a SIDStation, but never use it. It's been in a box for a while.

I don't know how much I'd use the Therapsid, but I love the idea of having a knob for nearly every function of the chip. It's a beautifully thought out device, and it even has a freaking iPad app to companion it.

Now that you can mix and match SID chips and have a few more controls at your fingertips, I'm more interested than ever. I'll be interested to hear how yours is when it arrives!

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Post by monads » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 pm

The Goob wrote:Looking at the MK2, he made a good call in getting rid of the glue-on wood sides and using nicer knobs. I had one of the original Therapsids and the build quality left a lot to be desired for me. This looks like an improvement.
The casing/knobs improvement was also done on the AY3 Mk2 (which I think is better)! Back on topic, the big benefit of the Therapsid for me is those dedicated knobs! sammichSID is powerful as a sid synth...but menu diving can be a pain/annoying. I just wanna jam and make some shite quick no what I mean?

rauch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:55 am

Post by rauch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:39 pm

sorry but what's the difference between the 8580 and 6581 again? can't remember.

User avatar
rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 am
Location: oakland, ca

Post by rean1mator » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 pm

rauch wrote:sorry but what's the difference between the 8580 and 6581 again? can't remember.
everything you wanted to know about the sid chip versions.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/17495 ... 1-vs-8580/

8580 were the last gen chips and have a smoother sounds. the 6581 have more distortion in the low end which some people prefer.

rauch
Common Wiggler
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:55 am

Post by rauch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:12 pm

oh there were even 5 revisions!
i wonder what chip was in my old c128

Reordian
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:55 pm
Location: Slovakia

Post by Reordian » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Hey guys - I saw and played the new Therapsid at Superbooth this weekend and its killer! Just placed my pre-order.
Also met Alex - super nice guy, took the time to walk me through the interface and demo the sequencer to me. He didnt look to happy as the booth next to him was showing some wild random digital noise module and they had their speaker cranked up to full - almost made my ears bleed - and he was standing there for four full days right next to their speaker :zombie:

User avatar
CopperHydra
Common Wiggler
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:00 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post by CopperHydra » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 pm

Reordian wrote:Hey guys - I saw and played the new Therapsid at Superbooth this weekend and its killer! Just placed my pre-order.
Also met Alex - super nice guy, took the time to walk me through the interface and demo the sequencer to me. He didnt look to happy as the booth next to him was showing some wild random digital noise module and they had their speaker cranked up to full - almost made my ears bleed - and he was standing there for four full days right next to their speaker :zombie:
Poor guy. That probably shredded his ears. Might order one just out of pity.

User avatar
AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1034
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Post by AdamJay » Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Jonesing hard for a Mk2 with two 6581s. Stereo fat modes FTW!

Will sequence with my Elektron Analog Keys as I love that he's added loads of CV inputs to the Mk2.

User avatar
AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1034
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Post by AdamJay » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Wow, Alex is one nice developer.

I emailed him to ask if the stereo Fat modes were saved in the preset, his response:

"Thanks for your email and bringing up a good point. Fat modes are global but should really be on a preset level. I'll see if I can free a couple bits to store this in future firmware"

I haven't even bought one yet and he's taking feature requests.

Speaking of, does anyone own the MK2 yet? Have pre-orders shipped?
How is it?

User avatar
SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:03 pm

my problem is i keep buying every noiz weapon he makes and then he updates it quite a bit.

still happy with the stuff i have though and i'm interested in updating to the Mk2 versions as well.

awesome noiz weapon designer and very cool guy.
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

User avatar
grenert
Common Wiggler
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Post by grenert » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 am

It looks like there is still no filter envelope, is that right?
Seems a shame on such a cool device.

User avatar
AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1034
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:11 pm

grenert wrote:It looks like there is still no filter envelope, is that right?
Seems a shame on such a cool device.
You can use LFO 3 for this.

Make mod source for LFO 3 "env3", and the destination filter "cutoff" (and resonance too if you like)

Env 3 becomes the filter envelope.

User avatar
grenert
Common Wiggler
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:34 pm

Post by grenert » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification! I somehow missed that when I looked over the manual. Given that the Midibox SID PCBs seem permanently sold out, this looks like it might be the best option for a SID synth with a knobby interface.

User avatar
SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Post by SOPiiAC » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:55 pm

AdamJay wrote: Speaking of, does anyone own the MK2 yet? Have pre-orders shipped?
How is it?
I received a notification that mine shipped. Should be getting it in a week or so. Unfortunately, Alex never offered the option to purchase and install a second SID chip. Guess I'll have to hunt one down on my own.

User avatar
rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 am
Location: oakland, ca

Post by rean1mator » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:38 pm

I asked about a second chip and he said that he might offer a second chip depending on demand for the therapsid but would rather not as there is a limited supply o them. i just ended up purchasing a pair of 8580's on ebay. if i like the 6581, i'll just buy a second online.
SOPiiAC wrote:
AdamJay wrote: Speaking of, does anyone own the MK2 yet? Have pre-orders shipped?
How is it?
I received a notification that mine shipped. Should be getting it in a week or so. Unfortunately, Alex never offered the option to purchase and install a second SID chip. Guess I'll have to hunt one down on my own.

mongrol
Common Wiggler
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:44 pm

Post by mongrol » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:51 am

Ordered! I've had 2x 6581's sitting in a drawer for 2 years.

User avatar
SOPiiAC
Common Wiggler
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Post by SOPiiAC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:26 pm

I received mine today! I played around with it for about an hour and it's a lot of fun. The 6581 is a dirty, dirty, nasty chip, I love it!

A few quibbles:
No power switch
Pitch bend doesn't seem to work right off the bat
Screws holding the thing together could be hard to get off in order to install a second chip

Definitely become familiar with the manual, it helps. (Had trouble assigning lfos until I realized I was doing the process backwards.)
Let me know if you have any questions.

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Post by monads » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:29 am

SOPiiAC wrote:A few quibbles:
No power switch.....
Same with the AY3! You have to physically unplug unless you want powered 24/7.

User avatar
rean1mator
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 am
Location: oakland, ca

Post by rean1mator » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Mine came in today. pulled the 6581 out and dropped in two 8580's that i ordered a couple of months ago. Running in "F4" super fat mode.
Really dig the smoother personality of the 8581's. it was immediately noticeable. I'll keep the 6581 and look for another in case I want a little more grit.
Here's a quick video of it being sequenced by beatstep pro and runing through erica polivoks filter.

[video][/video]

I'm diggin' it!
rowsbywoof wrote:
rean1mator wrote:i was so fixated on wanting an acid8 that i never even considered the therapsid v1. based on videos much prefer the sound of the therapsid.

rowsbywoof wrote:Love to hear how you all get on with them. I've been curious of Therapsid for a while, but didn't pull the trigger the few times he had the MKI version in stock. Looking at the new features in the MKII, I'm kind of glad I got gun shy. Looks like he added some cool stuff.
I've had a love for the SID chips, and making noise with them, going back to the old school PCI HardSIDs. Still have my Quatro with three working chips ;) I was a bit too young for the C64 hay day that I probably would have loved the hell out of, but I'm happy that their voice has been preserved over and over again, almost every generation, with a cool new device.

Hell, I still have a SIDStation, but never use it. It's been in a box for a while.

I don't know how much I'd use the Therapsid, but I love the idea of having a knob for nearly every function of the chip. It's a beautifully thought out device, and it even has a freaking iPad app to companion it.

Now that you can mix and match SID chips and have a few more controls at your fingertips, I'm more interested than ever. I'll be interested to hear how yours is when it arrives!

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”