MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Author Buchla-compatible adaptations of Mutable modules
JamieDrouin
http://grayscale.info/buchla/
WeepWow
Quote:
http://grayscale.info/buchla/

Thanks for that.

Question is:
Does it sound like Buchla or Eurorack?
I just started my Buchla 200 clones system, (6 modules in).
I do notice a slight difference in the quality of sound vs. my Eurorack system, (unless I am just telling myself that because its gonna be an expensive venture). I am getting great sound from my Eurorack, no complaints.
lasesentaysiete
WeepWow
Have you seen and heard the demo videos?
cyberdine
Is there any updated on the preorders shipping?
WeepWow
Quote:
Have you seen and heard the demo videos?

yes, only quickly though.
I mean to compare them in person, in my studio, coming out of my JBL 4411's.
cuttooth
cyberdine wrote:

I'm also curious about this; I haven't received an invoice or anything just yet. Hopefully soon? sad banana
WeepWow
I dont think I need to replicate what I have in my Eurorack into Buchla at this point. (Rings, Braids, Elements, Synth Tech etc)

Maybe once I fill up my Buchla rack with the actual modules designed by Don Buchla, I will consider the others.
sempervirent
WeepWow wrote:
Interested in hearing about the Buchla Mutable Braids et all, when they are available, pricing, etc.

They're being released one at a time, the first is the DAO. No pricing or ETA for the others yet, but they are being actively developed and tested.

cyberdine wrote:

I'll be contacting everyone today to request shipping details and payment for the remainder. Thanks to everyone for being patient.
cuttooth

But seriously, thank you for the update. Can't wait to play with the DAO and all the others!
sempervirent
As of today, most DAO preorders have been shipped. A few will have to wait until next week, but all preorders will be fulfilled by the end of the year.

Thanks again to everyone for their patience. I never expected the panel shop to take 10+ weeks to supply correct panels and will be using a different supplier for future modules.

Looking forward to seeing what people create, please feel free to post videos, etc here or tag @grayscalemodular if you're an Instagram user. I'll be doing some videos as well, once I'm caught up on shipping.

Synesthesia
loving the box wink

congrats on shipping wink
doepferiano
waiting next 2018 grin
Synesthesia
I see your pcb files are on your github - any plans to share the panel file too ?
kbrush
just unpacked them. still building out this system so can’t take em for a test drive just yet, but the build quality is on point (as expected given experience with Grayscale in the euro arena).

once this system is ready to go they will be first to get the full attention treatment. Cheers Grayscale! Outstanding job, thank you!!

askthedust
kbrush wrote:
just unpacked them. still building out this system so can’t take em for a test drive just yet, but the build quality is on point (as expected given experience with Grayscale in the euro arena).

once this system is ready to go they will be first to get the full attention treatment. Cheers Grayscale! Outstanding job, thank you!!

Seems like a pretty ready to go system to me...or do you think you need a 4th Pendulum Ratchet?
kbrush
i had that one coming
Precarious
sempervirent wrote:
As of today, most DAO preorders have been shipped. A few will have to wait until next week, but all preorders will be fulfilled by the end of the year.

Dual Algorithmic Oscillator looks amazing!
Basically two full voices using the internal VCAs.
Really want one but can't swing it right now.

Any idea how long these will be available? Short run?

Double checking:
1. Internal quantization and input voltage set to 1.2v/oct, correct?
2. Is current state saved at power down?
ArguZ
Here is the manual if you want to get a headstart :
https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/braids/manual
Scaling can be set during calibration to 1.0 or 1.2 or whatever you like.
Saving is done automatically ..
woVERTICES
Got mine today...a worthy addition to the Buchla paradigm!!!
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com

djangosfire
A thing of beauty! Arrived today.... music tonight!!

cyberdine
Just got mine too, and really liking it.

Can the firmware be updated like the Eurorack version?
kitchentone
Mine arrive yesterday Rockin' Banana!
sempervirent
Hey everyone, thanks for posting photos, very cool to see where the modules ended up! Now how about some sounds? (I need to do some more of that myself as well, so that there's an official demo video of the module.)

cyberdine wrote:
Can the firmware be updated like the Eurorack version?

The audio update method on Braids uses the FM input, which is a grounded TS jack. On the DAO, the FM input is a banana jack, and a common ground is needed. That means wiring up a split cable (here's one nicely made example) or otherwise splitting a TS jack into separate signal and ground wires that can be routed to the module and your system ground, respectively. This allows you to update the firmware from your computer, phone, etc. As with the Eurorack version, it's critical to get the volume level on the source device just right.

You could also get an inexpensive STLink programmer online, the DAO does have JTAG headers on the back (the FTDI headers were not included).

Updates should not really be necessary though, since all DAO modules shipped with the "final" firmware for Braids (v1.9) and there won't be any official firmware updates in the future. The unofficial alternate firmware (Bees in the Trees) adds a lot of extra features (though it also adds a lot of extra menu diving).

Note that you'll have to recalibrate the module after installing any new firmware (which is fairly simple, check the Braids documentation). The calibration process is the same for the DAO, except that if you want 1.2V/Oct pitch tracking, you would use 1.2V for C2 and 3.6V for C4. If you want to calibrate the DAO for 1V/Oct instead, that's also possible.

Also worth mentioning that the firmware includes a built-in quantizer (something that the Buchla format is currently lacking) with over 40 different scales.
ArguZ
The Buchla format is lacking a quantizer ?
Oh...
auxren
ArguZ wrote:
The Buchla format is lacking a quantizer ?
Oh...

The quantizer was removed from the firmware??
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next [all]
Page 5 of 10